Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeBatch as QB coach? Not so fast ... Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Batch as QB coach? Not so fast ...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Batch as QB coach? Not so fast ... Empty
PostSubject: Batch as QB coach? Not so fast ...   Batch as QB coach? Not so fast ... EmptySat May 04, 2013 3:02 am

Over the past several years, I've read quite a few posts on message boards saying that Charlie Batch should be the Steelers quarterback coach when he's done playing. I haven't been as sure as most Steelers fans. It's not that I think he CAN'T be a great coach ... it's just that I have no clue whether he can be, and I have no idea why others are so positive about his coaching ability.

I also saw a lot of posts last year about Hines Ward becoming our receivers coach. My feelings at the time regarding Ward as a coach are the same that I have about Batch ... what evidence do we have that either one would make a good coach in the NFL? I stated last year that Ward would need to start at a lower level and gain experience as a coach. Same for Batch.

In a Q&A, Ed Bouchette addressed Batch as coach. I've thought about the need for experience, but Ed brings up another good point about why we won't see Batch as our QB coach anytime soon:

Quote :
Some of their former players do return to the Steelers to coach. Carnell Lake is their secondary coach and Darren Perry was too. Joe Greene, now a special scout, was their defensive line coach for a period in the 1980s. Tony Dungy was their defensive coordinator. Those are some examples. What’s true for all of them is that they did not step from playing for the Steelers to coaching for them. Organizations and head coaches like to see former players put time between their playing and coaching careers for many reasons. One is that there can be conflicts between someone who was your teammate now coaching you.

http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-steelers/f/6ec25228-a0b7-49a6-b183-3f5b6dc43150/?source=twitter

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Batch as QB coach? Not so fast ...   Batch as QB coach? Not so fast ... EmptySat May 04, 2013 4:07 am

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Batch as QB coach? Not so fast ...   Batch as QB coach? Not so fast ... EmptySat May 04, 2013 4:15 am

bayz101 wrote:

Forget Batch as QB coach. Sign Shaq to back up Ben. Defenders can't tackle Ben ... what the hell are they going to do against Shaq? Batch as QB coach? Not so fast ... 1797695198

Coaching a former NBA player to compete on a reality show isn't quite the same as coaching a quarterback to win the Super Bowl. I can help my kids with their homework, but I'm not lecturing at Harvard.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Batch as QB coach? Not so fast ...   Batch as QB coach? Not so fast ... EmptySat May 04, 2013 8:56 am

The EB comments make sense. I do think in time Charlie could be a good QB coach. Hines might make a better LB coach though. Batch as QB coach? Not so fast ... 1372836603
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Batch as QB coach? Not so fast ...   Batch as QB coach? Not so fast ... EmptyThu May 09, 2013 9:13 am

I believe Charlie is a natural when it comes to coaching/teaching. Unlike Ward, who has the mentality for the game, but not for coaching. I think it's in Charlie to take the QB process from mind, to paper, to young athlete.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Batch as QB coach? Not so fast ... 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
steelerdude15

steelerdude15

PostSubject: Re: Batch as QB coach? Not so fast ...   Batch as QB coach? Not so fast ... EmptyThu May 09, 2013 11:28 pm

I would love for Batch to be our QB coach, but I don't see it happening. I think the current coach wouldn't want to leave.

PostSubject: Re: Batch as QB coach? Not so fast ...   Batch as QB coach? Not so fast ... Empty

Back to top Go down

Batch as QB coach? Not so fast ...
Page 1 of 1