Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeAs It Stands...  - Page 2 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

As It Stands...

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

As It Stands...  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: As It Stands...    As It Stands...  - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 12:02 pm

kirklandrules wrote:
Of course, if the Raiders are able to make it close they may face a Bronco's team in the last game of the year that may just sit their starters.
Yeah, that's a factor I didn't consider. It's a good reason to root for the Chiefs to keep winning.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: As It Stands...    As It Stands...  - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 24, 2013 7:58 pm

As it stands now ...

1. Broncos (9-1)
2. Patriots** (7-3)
3. Colts (7-4)
4. Bengals (7-4)

5. Chiefs (9-2)
6. Titans (5-6)
---------------------------------------
7. Steelers (5-6)
8. Ravens (5-6)
9. Chargers (5-6)
10. Jets (5-6)
---------------------------------------

We have a realistic shot at the No. 6 seed, an outside shot at the No. 5 seed, and remain alive for the division title, so let's include the Chiefs and Bengals in our look-ahead.

NEXT WEEK
Bengals vs. Chargers
Chiefs vs. Broncos
Titans vs. Colts
Steelers vs. Ravens
Jets vs. Dolphins

The following scenarios are assuming we take care of business against the Ravens on Thursday:

The game that is most relevant right now is Titans vs. Colts. A Colts win over the Titans puts us in the last wild card spot.

If the Broncos beat the Chiefs, we'd be 3 games out of the 5th seed. The Chiefs' schedule doesn't get a lot easier after the Broncos ... vs. Redskins, Raiders, Colts, Chargers. It's a long shot, but not unrealistic that the Chiefs could lose 4 out of their final 5.

If the Bengals lose to the Chargers, we'd be one game behind them. Their final four games are against the Colts, Steelers, Vikings, and Ravens. Here's the reality ... if the Bengals lose ONE more game (in addition to losing to the Steelers) and we win out, we'd be tied but win the division because of tie breakers.

The bottom line: We have to take care of our own business or nothing else matters. If we do take care of our own business, things are shaping up nicely for us.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: As It Stands...    As It Stands...  - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 30, 2013 1:07 pm

As I've said before, I'm not giving up until we're mathematically eliminated. If I give up while there's still a chance (even if it's only a small chance), I might as well find something else to do on Sundays. So here's where we stand ...

1. Broncos (9-2)
2. Patriots* (8-3)
3. Colts (7-4)
4. Bengals (7-4)

5. Chiefs (9-2)
6. Ravens (6-6)
-------------------------

7. Titans (5-6)
8. Chargers (5-6)
9. Jets (5-6)
10. Dolphins (5-6)
11. Steelers (5-7)
------------------------

While technically we could still win the division, that would take a hell of a lot of help, so let's focus on the wild card.

Sunday:

We need the Dolphins to beat the Jets.
We need the Colts to beat the Titans.
We need the Bengals to beat the Chargers.

If those three games go our way, we'd move up to the 8th seed behind the Dolphins, who we play next week.

Looking ahead, we need the Ravens to lose to the Bengals. If we win out and the Ravens lose to the Bengals, we'll be tied but get the tie breaker over the Ravens. If the Ravens beat the Bengals, they need to lose two more games. Other than Cincy, the Ravens finish with the Vikings, Lions, and Patriots*. It's possible, but what really hurts us is that the Patriots* and Bengals might not have anything to play for when they play the Ravens.

Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: As It Stands...    As It Stands...  - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 30, 2013 2:37 pm

Ugh...it's painful. All would be right with the world if suisam kicked a field goal and we won by one instead of ghost kicking.

Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: As It Stands...    As It Stands...  - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 30, 2013 3:00 pm

Drizztbob wrote:
Ugh...it's painful.  All would be right with the world if suisam kicked a field goal and we won by one instead of ghost kicking.
Yeah, we really needed that win. Coming into the game, I felt we could absorb another loss and still be in good shape ... as long as the loss wasn't to the Ravens. I think all the other teams around us will lose multiple games, but I'm not so sure the Ravens will help us out by losing two more. And the Bengals could have the division wrapped up and sit players when they play the Ravens. But we'll see what happens ... that's why they play the games.

Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: As It Stands...    As It Stands...  - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 02, 2013 8:40 am

3 for 3 Wally. Do that write up again this week.

SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: As It Stands...    As It Stands...  - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 02, 2013 9:20 am

As it stands (12/2/13):

1. Denver (10-2)
2. Patriots* (9-3)
3. Colts (8-4)
4. Bengals (8-4)
5. Chiefs (9-3)
6. Ravens (6-6)

7. Miami (6-6)
8. Titans (5-7)
9. Steelers (5-7)
10. Chargers (5-7)
11. Jets (5-7)

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: As It Stands...    As It Stands...  - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 02, 2013 9:25 am

Dolphins vs. Steelers (Steelers)
Colts vs. Bengals (Colts)
Vikings vs. Ravens (Vikings)
Titans vs. Broncos (Broncos)
Giants vs. Chargers (Giants)

Then it would look like:
1. Broncos (11-2)
2. Patriots* (10-3)
3. Colts (9-4)
4. Bengals (8-5)
5. Chiefs (9-3)
6. Ravens (6-7)

7. Steelers (6-7)
8. Dolphins (6-7)
9. Titans (5-8)
10. Chargers (5-8)
11. Jets (5-8)

ALL HOPE IS NOT LOST. We Just need to win, Ravens and Titans need to lose.

Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: As It Stands...    As It Stands...  - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 02, 2013 9:45 am

I'm going to the Vikings game and will be borrowing my friends AP jersey. Hope it helps!

Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: As It Stands...    As It Stands...  - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 02, 2013 10:52 am

Drizztbob wrote:
3 for 3 Wally.  Do that write up again this week.
As It Stands...  - Page 2 3056903510  

As I started looking at schedules a few weeks ago, I had no doubt we'd be getting a lot of help. The question has always been whether we could take care of our own business, which we didn't do on Thursday.

On a sidenote, I said if everything played out right, we'd finish the week in the 8th seed behind Miami. I forgot about the Titans having the tiebreaker over us, so we're now 9th, not 8th. Not a problem though, because the Titans are going to lose at LEAST one more game.

Looking ahead to next week ...

The only two games that affect us are:

Ravens vs. Vikings
Titans vs. Broncos

Assuming we beat the Dolphins and the Broncos beat the Titans, we'll be in the 7th seed and one game out of the wild card behind the Ravens. I don't see the Vikings beating them.

It also wouldn't hurt if the Giants beat the Chargers. Tiebreakers get trickier when more than two teams are tied. It's too soon to start working out those scenarios though.

** I just looked into it, and if we end up tied with the Ravens (regardless of who beats them), we'll get the tiebreaker if we win out:

The first tiebreaker (head to head) wouldn't settle it. (They split)

The second tiebreaker (division record) wouldn't settle it unless the Ravens' one loss comes against the Bengals. If the Ravens lose to the Bengals, we get the tiebreaker right here.

The third tiebreaker (which would be the most likely scenario if we end up tied) is best won-lost-tied percentage in common games. Other than divisional opponents (in which we'd be tied), the common games (as of now) have been against the Bills and Jets. We won both games. The Ravens lost to the Bills, so we get the tiebreaker.

That's looking too far ahead, but it's good to know that if we win out and finish tied with the Ravens, we've got the tiebreaker. Assuming, of course, a third team doesn't finish tied with us and screw up the tiebreaking process.

Bottom line for next week ... we need:

Vikings to beat the Ravens.
Broncos to beat the Titans.
Giants to beat the Chargers.

If all 3 of those games go our way (unlikely), we'll be sitting in the final wild card spot.

Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: As It Stands...    As It Stands...  - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 02, 2013 5:34 pm

And of course that most important scenario, we need to win against the Dolphins. But still some what ifs out there, and like originally said: A reason to watch Steeler football on Sunday.

Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: As It Stands...    As It Stands...  - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 02, 2013 5:56 pm

Drizztbob wrote:
And of course that most important scenario, we need to win against the Dolphins.  But still some what ifs out there, and like originally said: A reason to watch Steeler football on Sunday.
Yeah, nothing else matters if we don't win out. Technically, we've still got a long shot even if we lose one more game. But that would require so much help that it's not even worth thinking about.

What bothers me more than the loss to the Ravens is the loss of Velasco. I'm not sure our offense can overcome his loss. I guess we'll see.

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: As It Stands...    As It Stands...  - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 03, 2013 11:07 am

Quote :
John Eisenberg
BaltimoreRavens.com Columnist

For the record, among the teams the Ravens are battling for that last wild-card spot, the Steelers are the most dangerous.

The Titans have lost six of their past eight games and have Ryan Fitzpatrick playing quarterback. The Chargers have lost four of their past five and always seem to blink at the wrong time. The Jets don’t have enough offense.

The Dolphins are made of sterner stuff. It is quite a feat for them to have stayed in contention with all the controversy swirling around them. But they’re playing in Pittsburgh this weekend, and I expect the Steelers to make a statement. The Steelers are playing good football, having won five of their last eight. They have the best quarterback among the other contenders. Their schedule is relatively easy. Even though they’re a game behind the Ravens, they could easily win out to finish 9-7.

If I’m the Ravens, I’m keeping my eyes on them as this plays out.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Eisenberg-Keep-Eye-On-Ravens-Biggest-Wild-Card-Threat/9838e80c-26f5-457e-bd4b-603584063209

Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: As It Stands...    As It Stands...  - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 10:16 am

I think our O line is too decimated at this point. Winning out looks like a miracle.

SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: As It Stands...    As It Stands...  - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 6:37 pm

Drizztbob wrote:
I think our O line is too decimated at this point.  Winning out looks like a miracle.

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: As It Stands...    As It Stands...  - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 4:00 pm

I think this thread is officially on life support. I haven't ran the numbers to even see if anything is possible...  As It Stands...  - Page 2 3201610882 

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: As It Stands...    As It Stands...  - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 5:16 pm

Whyant5 wrote:
I think this thread is officially on life support.  I haven't ran the numbers to even see if anything is possible...  As It Stands...  - Page 2 3201610882 
With Miami's win today, we are officially mathematically eliminated.

But you know me ... I'll still try to find a way to overcome that.  As It Stands...  - Page 2 3798349058 

Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: As It Stands...    As It Stands...  - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 7:47 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
Whyant5 wrote:
I think this thread is officially on life support.  I haven't ran the numbers to even see if anything is possible...  As It Stands...  - Page 2 3201610882 

But you know me ... I'll still try to find a way to overcome that.  As It Stands...  - Page 2 3798349058 

Beating the bungals would be a good start...

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION As It Stands...  - Page 2 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: As It Stands...    As It Stands...  - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 16, 2013 4:04 am

Wallace108 wrote:

OK, I've found a way to overcome it. I was wrong ... we're not mathematically eliminated yet.  As It Stands...  - Page 2 1797695198 

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know ... making the playoffs would require a miracle of Biblical proportions. But I said I wouldn't give up until we were mathematically eliminated. Since we're not mathematically eliminated, the show must go on.  As It Stands...  - Page 2 792589548 

In order for the Steelers to make the playoffs, five scenarios must happen:

1. The Steelers must win their final two games against the Packers and Browns.
2. The Dolphins must lose their final two games against the Bills and Jets.
3. The Chargers must lose one of their final two games against the Raiders and Chiefs.
4. The Ravens must lose two of their final three games against the Lions, Patriots*, and Bengals.
5. The Jets must win their final two games against the Browns and Dolphins.

Obviously, having all five of those scenarios play out in our favor is nearly impossible. But as I like to say, stranger things have happened. I said I'd keep hope alive until there was no hope left. So onward we go ...

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: As It Stands...    As It Stands...  - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 22, 2013 3:38 pm

Don't look now, but everything is going our way.  As It Stands...  - Page 2 792589548 As It Stands...  - Page 2 1797695198 

1. The Steelers must win their final two games against the Packers and Browns.
2. The Dolphins must lose their final two games against the Bills and Jets.
(Dolphins losing to the Bills 13-0 in the 4th)
3. The Chargers must lose one of their final two games against the Raiders and Chiefs.
4. The Ravens must lose two of their final three games against the Lions, Patriots**, and Bengals.
5. The Jets must win their final two games against the Browns and Dolphins.
(Jets beating the Browns 13-7 in the 4th)

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: As It Stands...    As It Stands...  - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 22, 2013 7:58 pm

Well, we didn't get bonus help from the Raiders today, but everything we needed to happen actually happened. Here's what we need to happen next week for the Steelers to make it to the playoffs:

Steelers over Browns
Jets over Dolphins
Bengals over Ravens
Chiefs over Chargers

Is all that likely? Probably not. Is it possible? Sure.
But the fact that I'm still posting in this thread heading into the final week of the season feels pretty good. As a fan, I ask for something to root for. Regardless of what happened throughout the year, heading into the final week of the season I have something to root for.

Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: As It Stands...    As It Stands...  - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 22, 2013 8:03 pm

AMEN! Brother Wallace, PREACH ON! PREACH ON!

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION As It Stands...  - Page 2 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: As It Stands...    As It Stands...  - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 22, 2013 8:12 pm

stlrtruck wrote:
AMEN! Brother Wallace, PREACH ON!   PREACH ON!
You know I will, brother Truck. You know I will!  As It Stands...  - Page 2 3056903510 

Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: As It Stands...    As It Stands...  - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 24, 2013 10:18 am

If and that's a HUGE if we get in the playoffs we will definitely make some noise.

Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: As It Stands...    As It Stands...  - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 24, 2013 12:49 pm

If we get to the playoffs I will spray paint a Steelers logo on my chest and run down my street naked chanting "Here We Go".

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: As It Stands...    As It Stands...  - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

As It Stands...
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next