Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeWill Worilds will Leave as a Free Agent? Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Will Worilds will Leave as a Free Agent?

Go down 
+2
stlrtruck
Wallace108
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Will Worilds will Leave as a Free Agent? Empty
PostSubject: Will Worilds will Leave as a Free Agent?   Will Worilds will Leave as a Free Agent? EmptyThu Feb 27, 2014 12:52 am

By Anthony Defeo

To repeat my sentiment from the other day: Steelers fans are super-happy with the rumors that the NFL's salary cap will increase to over $130 million once the league's new calender year starts on March 11.

This brings great promise to many Black and Gold faithful who want Pittsburgh to keep some key free agents, well, specifically outside linebacker Jason Worilds, a second round pick out of Virginia Tech in 2010. After several seasons battling injuries and questions about his talent-level, Worilds couldn't have picked a better time to have a career year, recording eight sacks in 2013, his final season before becoming an unrestricted free agent.

The key word in that last paragraph is "unrestricted," meaning Worilds isn't your everyday restricted free agent, who would be hindered by a high-tender offer by the Steelers, which would effectively scare other teams off who would be unwilling to part with a high draft pick as compensation.

Worilds has gone on record as saying he's open to re-signing with Pittsburgh, but every unrestricted free agent who has ever played any sport anywhere has said pretty much the same thing. However, without doing extensive research, I can safely say that in the majority of cases, all previous unrestricted free agents who were hot commodities signed with the top-bidder--regardless of that team's record, the division it played in or the offensive/defensive philosophy (at least in football) that it believed in.

The key word (or words) in the previous paragraph is "hot-commodity," which Worilds most-certainly is.

READ MORE: http://profootballspot.com/_/nfl/afc-north/pittsburgh-steelers/jason-worilds-will-leave-as-a-free-agent-r2040

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Will Worilds will Leave as a Free Agent?   Will Worilds will Leave as a Free Agent? EmptyThu Feb 27, 2014 9:59 am

It'll be interesting Will Worilds will Leave as a Free Agent? 1401235891 Will Worilds will Leave as a Free Agent? 2893009358 

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Will Worilds will Leave as a Free Agent? 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Will Worilds will Leave as a Free Agent?   Will Worilds will Leave as a Free Agent? EmptyFri Feb 28, 2014 2:56 pm

I think the real question is: Will the Steelers try to sign Worilds before free agency begins? Something tells me if he hits the market, he won't be back.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Will Worilds will Leave as a Free Agent?   Will Worilds will Leave as a Free Agent? EmptySat Mar 01, 2014 10:42 am

At this point, I'll be surprised if we re-sign him.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Will Worilds will Leave as a Free Agent?   Will Worilds will Leave as a Free Agent? EmptySun Mar 02, 2014 6:45 am

I think we need to get him signed before FA begins but who knows. If it is between him and Woodley it's a no brainer. The cap might determine his fate as well Right?
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Will Worilds will Leave as a Free Agent?   Will Worilds will Leave as a Free Agent? EmptySun Mar 02, 2014 8:22 am

solardave wrote:
I think we need to get him signed before FA begins but who knows. If it is between him and Woodley it's a no brainer. The cap might determine his fate as well Right?

The cap, be it the old one or the new one that starts - I believe at the end of the month, is going to determine a lot of player's fates.

1 NATION

Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Will Worilds will Leave as a Free Agent?   Will Worilds will Leave as a Free Agent? EmptyMon Mar 03, 2014 4:30 pm

Just got the text, 'Steelers designate Worilds transition player'

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-use-transition-tag-on-Worilds/95ddca4e-1e18-4f21-bf70-f2d24b605d90

Quote :
By designating Worilds, an unrestricted free agent, as the team’s transition player, Pittsburgh has the right of first refusal to match any offer sheet he may receive from another team.

1 NATION

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Will Worilds will Leave as a Free Agent?   Will Worilds will Leave as a Free Agent? EmptyTue Mar 04, 2014 10:32 am

stlrtruck wrote:
Just got the text, 'Steelers designate Worilds transition player'

I'm not sure I understand the significance of that move. The transition tag gives the Steelers the right to match any offer he receives. It's more than likely a team will throw more money at him than we're willing or able to match.  Will Worilds will Leave as a Free Agent? 2087824411 

Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Will Worilds will Leave as a Free Agent?   Will Worilds will Leave as a Free Agent? EmptyTue Mar 04, 2014 1:37 pm

My 2 cents on this topic are that this gives Worilds a good chunk of money and helps ensure he only entertains larger contract offers (multi-year deals). For the Steelers, it’s a stake in the ground to get started on retaining him. So they set that bar high enough that other teams can only offer him serious contracts, otherwise, the Steelers will match and keep him. Aside from the franchise tag, it’s about the best option they had. I don’t think he’s worth the franchise tag and I say that thinking he’s a darn good OLB. But he’s not worth franchise type of money.

This shows Worilds the Steelers are interested in giving him a good (not great) contract. If another team is dumb enough, sorry, interested enough to give him a great contract, the Steelers let him walk. If he does walk, I’m sure the strategy for this year’s draft will change.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Will Worilds will Leave as a Free Agent?   Will Worilds will Leave as a Free Agent? EmptyTue Mar 04, 2014 2:09 pm

Looks like he's locked in!

From the Post-Gazette:
Linebacker Jason Worilds today accepted his one-year transition contract tender with the Steelers, locking him into them for at least the 2014 season.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/03/04/Linebacker-Jason-Worilds-signs-one-year-contract-with-Steelers/stories/201403040168#ixzz2v1Pwnd00
Back to top Go down
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Will Worilds will Leave as a Free Agent?   Will Worilds will Leave as a Free Agent? EmptyTue Mar 04, 2014 5:20 pm

I have a question.

Am I the ONLY one in Steeler Nation that wants to give Woodley another year? Everything I've read, so far, says that the transition tag on Worilds is a signal that Woodley is all but gone.

Seriously --- does anyone else want to see Woodley given one more chance/season?

Will Worilds will Leave as a Free Agent? We_bel10
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Will Worilds will Leave as a Free Agent?   Will Worilds will Leave as a Free Agent? EmptyWed Mar 05, 2014 8:43 am

Gingerchip wrote:
I have a question.

Am I the ONLY one in Steeler Nation that wants to give Woodley another year?  Everything I've read, so far, says that the transition tag on Worilds is a signal that Woodley is all but gone.

Seriously --- does anyone else want to see Woodley given one more chance/season?

You're not the only one, but I think you're in the minority.

Woodley had the opportunity to be the next great Steelers linebacker. He didn't achieve it ... partly because of injuries and partly because of lack of motivation. It wouldn't make sense to keep Woodley and lose Worilds. If they could keep Woodley for depth and to compete with Jones on the other side of Worilds, that would be great. But as always, it comes down to money and the cap. Kevin Colbert said there's a possibility they could keep both. But I'm not sure anyone took that comment seriously.

Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Will Worilds will Leave as a Free Agent?   Will Worilds will Leave as a Free Agent? EmptyThu Mar 06, 2014 8:36 pm

Gingerchip wrote:
I have a question.

Am I the ONLY one in Steeler Nation that wants to give Woodley another year?  Everything I've read, so far, says that the transition tag on Worilds is a signal that Woodley is all but gone.

I wouldn't mind seeing Woodley get some additionaly playing time, but it certainly should be at a reduced price tag. He's been injury prone and, IMO, he has not proven himself worthy of his last contract.

1 NATION

Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: Will Worilds will Leave as a Free Agent?   Will Worilds will Leave as a Free Agent? EmptySun Mar 09, 2014 4:22 pm

Highest paid LB in Steeler history and not worth half of it...don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Will Worilds will Leave as a Free Agent?   Will Worilds will Leave as a Free Agent? Empty

Back to top Go down

Will Worilds will Leave as a Free Agent?
Page 1 of 1