Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeMike Mitchell Burns to be Great (article) Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Mike Mitchell Burns to be Great (article)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

Mike Mitchell Burns to be Great (article) Empty
PostSubject: Mike Mitchell Burns to be Great (article)   Mike Mitchell Burns to be Great (article) EmptyMon Jun 30, 2014 10:52 am

PITTSBURGH -- The speed and playmaking ability that Mike Mitchell flashed during his breakout season in 2013 certainly attracted the Steelers to the hard-hitting safety.

What the Steelers also have to love about their most significant free-agent acquisition is his makeup.

One thing that stood out during Mitchell’s introductory news conference in March, shortly after he signed a five-year $25 million contract with the Steelers, is his desire to be great. And the competitiveness he showed during the practices that were in helmets and shorts only reinforced how much Mitchell wants to establish himself as one of the top safeties in the NFL.

New Steelers safety Mike Mitchell has used perceived slights as inspiration as he enters his sixth NFL season.Mitchell took a significant step toward that goal last season when he intercepted four passes, notched 3½ sacks and forced two fumbles for the Carolina Panthers. When I asked him recently if he felt he should have made the Pro Bowl in 2013, Mitchell said, “Absolutely.”

He also added this: “I don’t really care about Pro Bowl. I want to be All-Pro. I have to do what I did last year again plus get better. A lot of times last year people were talking about the front seven I played with and they were very talented. Sometimes you’re overlooked, but that’s just another chip to put on my shoulder and play football.”

Mitchell has already collected his share of chips -- from playing his college ball at a Mid-American Conference school, the widespread derision heaped on the Oakland Raiders when they took the little-known Ohio University product in the second round of the 2009 draft, to being overshadowed on the Panthers’ defense last season.

Whether Mitchell’s success stemmed from a front seven that included sack master Greg Hardy and tackling machine Luke Kuechly is irrelevant. That there is a perception that Mitchell’s spike in performance can be attributed to the players who were around him following four nondescript seasons in Oakland is another perceived slight that drives the 6-foot, 210-pounder.

Mitchell will get plenty of opportunities to show his worth on a Steelers’ defense that badly needed to add playmakers. And his speed and versatility gives defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau another chess piece he can move around to outwit opposing offenses.

“Mike Mitchell is very fast and a good, solid tackler. An excellent blitzer, actually,” LeBeau said. “I looked at quite a bit of his tape during the free agency period and you had to look pretty far to find any weaknesses.”

Read more: http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/7354/mike-mitchell-burns-to-be-great

Mike Mitchell Burns to be Great (article) We_bel10
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Mike Mitchell Burns to be Great (article)   Mike Mitchell Burns to be Great (article) EmptyMon Jun 30, 2014 11:58 am

The Mitchell signing reminds me almost exactly of when we signed Ryan Clark. And this is the Steelers Way ... we don't need big-name high-priced free agents. Just talented players with lots of heart. You can teach skills and schemes. You can't teach character and passion.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Mike Mitchell Burns to be Great (article)   Mike Mitchell Burns to be Great (article) EmptyTue Jul 01, 2014 1:21 am

Wallace108 wrote:
The Mitchell signing reminds me almost exactly of when we signed Ryan Clark. And this is the Steelers Way ... we don't need big-name high-priced free agents. Just talented players with lots of heart. You can teach skills and schemes. You can't teach character and passion.

I agree 100%. I think he will be an upgrade. I loved Ryan Clark and am grateful for all he did for us. The upgrade will be a player who can play every game including the ones in Denver. I also think the talent is as good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mike Mitchell Burns to be Great (article)   Mike Mitchell Burns to be Great (article) Empty

Back to top Go down

Mike Mitchell Burns to be Great (article)
Page 1 of 1