Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeAll the Ike Taylor criticism is misguided Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

All the Ike Taylor criticism is misguided

Go down 
+2
Drizztbob
Wallace108
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

All the Ike Taylor criticism is misguided Empty
PostSubject: All the Ike Taylor criticism is misguided   All the Ike Taylor criticism is misguided EmptySun Jul 27, 2014 2:26 pm

By Mark Kaboly

I call it a lazy narrative.

And that’s what it has become when it comes to talking about cornerback Ike Taylor.

Sure, the veteran didn’t have the best of seasons in 2013. He called it a so-so year when he showed up to organized team activities during the spring.

So-so doesn’t mean bad, and it surely doesn’t mean terrible.

When Taylor was allowed to stay on just the right side of the defense and not follow around the opponent’s best receiver for the final five games last year, he was a lot better than so-so. He was good.

But Pro Football Focus – a popular analytical website – ranked Taylor as the 13th worst cornerback in the NFL last year and that skews the thinking of a lot.

I’ll let you in on a secret: Pro Football Focus’ grading system is severely flawed.

Taylor received bad marks against Detroit and Baltimore when he “allowed” Torrey Smith and Calvin Johnson long touchdown receptions. Those long touchdowns passes ultimately turned out not to be Taylor’s fault.

In both instances, Taylor was expecting safety help inside when there wasn’t any.

Those are just two examples. Surely there are more

According to the same website, Taylor had games of limiting receivers to 47, 39, 65, 14 and 71 yards to end the season, but we conveniently leave that out.

Read more: http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2014/07/27/kaboly-all-the-ike-taylor-criticism-is-misguided/#ixzz38h8RwHZi
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Drizztbob

Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: All the Ike Taylor criticism is misguided   All the Ike Taylor criticism is misguided EmptyMon Jul 28, 2014 9:14 am

I don't care...I know who's name I scream at the TV every Sunday for all the wrong reasons.

stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: All the Ike Taylor criticism is misguided   All the Ike Taylor criticism is misguided EmptyMon Sep 08, 2014 11:20 am

Ok, Drizz, I couldn't find the original thread where we talked about how many times we called out Ike vs. other defensive players.

So from what I can remember a day later, I believe I yelled at Ike about 4 times, maybe 5. A couple for holding calls, one for the dropped INT in the endzone, and the very next play where he got beat to the outside.

However, I also yelled at Timmons, Allen, and all the crap with the openings in the center of the field (which weren't related to Ike)

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION All the Ike Taylor criticism is misguided 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: All the Ike Taylor criticism is misguided   All the Ike Taylor criticism is misguided EmptyMon Sep 08, 2014 11:22 am

LOL. Fair enough Truck. Good on you for keeping your word. Wally?

(I can't comment in full yet as I have yet to watch the full game)

Crash

Crash

PostSubject: Re: All the Ike Taylor criticism is misguided   All the Ike Taylor criticism is misguided EmptyMon Sep 08, 2014 1:37 pm

Obviously.......
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: All the Ike Taylor criticism is misguided   All the Ike Taylor criticism is misguided EmptyMon Sep 08, 2014 1:54 pm

If Ike would have caught that INT yesterday, it would have forgave a lot of the other mistakes he made. Instead, he magnified them.

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: All the Ike Taylor criticism is misguided   All the Ike Taylor criticism is misguided EmptyMon Sep 08, 2014 2:01 pm

SteelersYak wrote:
If Ike would have caught that INT yesterday, it would have forgave a lot of the other mistakes he made.  Instead, he magnified them.

Definitely, and the fact that it was in his bread basket makes it even worse

1 NATION

Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: All the Ike Taylor criticism is misguided   All the Ike Taylor criticism is misguided EmptyMon Sep 08, 2014 2:18 pm

mrcrash wrote:
Obviously.......
Hah!  What a snarky little comment.  What I DID see are the errors I mentioned in the game ball/goats thread.  Don't need to watch the whole game to get the jist of that.

Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: All the Ike Taylor criticism is misguided   All the Ike Taylor criticism is misguided EmptyWed Sep 10, 2014 8:58 pm

Drizztbob wrote:
LOL.  Fair enough Truck.  Good on you for keeping your word.  Wally?

(I can't comment in full yet as I have yet to watch the full game)

To be honest, I generally don't yell at specific players during a game. I get excited and vocal when we're doing well, but I generally don't get too vocal or upset when we're doing poorly. I used to get really worked up during games. Not anymore, unless it's in celebration. When something bad happens, I just shake my head and let it go. It's an attitude I adopted a number of years ago, and it has kept me healthier and sane.

As for Ike's performance, there's no argument that he made a few boneheaded plays. But I can't single him out in comparison with the rest of the defense. In the first half, Ike played just as well as everyone else. In the second half, he played just as poorly as everyone else. Every member of the defense deserved to get yelled at in the second half.

But since we were to focus only on Ike, I think we can put a check in your "hate Ike" column for the first game.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: All the Ike Taylor criticism is misguided   All the Ike Taylor criticism is misguided EmptyWed Sep 10, 2014 9:50 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
To be honest, I generally don't yell at specific players during a game. I get excited and vocal when we're doing well, but I generally don't get too vocal or upset when we're doing poorly.

From the moment we spiked the ball after the throw to Wheaton until the kick hit the net I was crouching, with hands on my face saying "Please, please, please, please Suisham, please please" on repeat. All the Ike Taylor criticism is misguided 1797695198 All the Ike Taylor criticism is misguided 2196231899

Xtreme Newb
Tom_the_Torch

PostSubject: Re: All the Ike Taylor criticism is misguided   All the Ike Taylor criticism is misguided EmptyWed Sep 10, 2014 10:37 pm

I think most of the criticism if Ike Taylor is warranted.

His best asset has always been speed. If anything he could keep up with the other team's best receiver. He was one of the fastest corners in the league, and always has (and still does) keep himself in impeccable shape. However, staying in shape doesn't mean you stay fast.

He's never had great technique. He's always been a handsy corner. He's lost some of that speed, he's using his hands even more...and the NFL has emphasized calling that stuff. Having hands made of bricks doesn't help when he does step in front of a pass.

Honestly, I think William Gay is a better corner than Ike is right now.

All the Ike Taylor criticism is misguided Disposition_zps3e9f0204

"He had no teethe,and he was slobbering all over himself. I'm thinking, you can have your money back, just get me out of here. Let me go be an accountant. I can't tell you how badly I wanted out of here!" - John Elway after getting knocked out of his first career start by Jack Lambert

"If I could live my life over, I'd be a football player, and you damn well better believe I'd be a Pittsburgh Steeler!" - Jack Lambert in his Hall of Fame acceptance speech
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: All the Ike Taylor criticism is misguided   All the Ike Taylor criticism is misguided EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 1:32 am

Tom_the_Torch wrote:
I think most of the criticism if Ike Taylor is warranted.

His best asset has always been speed. If anything he could keep up with the other team's best receiver. He was one of the fastest corners in the league, and always has (and still does) keep himself in impeccable shape. However, staying in shape doesn't mean you stay fast.

He's never had great technique. He's always been a handsy corner. He's lost some of that speed, he's using his hands even more...and the NFL has emphasized calling that stuff. Having hands made of bricks doesn't help when he does step in front of a pass.

Honestly, I think William Gay is a better corner than Ike is right now.

My defense of Ike (in other threads) has been over his entire career, not his current talent level. There's no question that he's lost a step (or two). And the new rules certainly don't help him. As much as I have supported him, even I don't want to see him starting for us beyond this season.

As for Gay, he's good in the role he plays. When he's had the chance to be a starter, it never worked out. He can catch better than Ike ... I'll give you that. Then again, WE can probably catch better than Ike. All the Ike Taylor criticism is misguided 1797695198

Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: All the Ike Taylor criticism is misguided   All the Ike Taylor criticism is misguided EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 10:18 am

Wally and Truck...let's hope I don't scream Ike!! at this game tonight too much. The Ravens fans around me might think I have converted...

Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: All the Ike Taylor criticism is misguided   All the Ike Taylor criticism is misguided EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 10:33 am

Drizztbob wrote:
Wally and Truck...let's hope I don't scream Ike!! at this game tonight too much.  The Ravens fans around me might think I have converted...

All the Ike Taylor criticism is misguided 1664291743

I'll be looking for the "We hate Ike" sign in the crowd.

I really hope he gets an INT tonight so you can say you were there to see it. Crazy thought, I know.

Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: All the Ike Taylor criticism is misguided   All the Ike Taylor criticism is misguided EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 12:45 pm

If Ike Taylor gets an INT tonight, I personally won't wage war against him on this site anymore...

Well maybe for just a month. Twisted Evil

stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: All the Ike Taylor criticism is misguided   All the Ike Taylor criticism is misguided EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 7:00 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
Drizztbob wrote:
Wally and Truck...let's hope I don't scream Ike!! at this game tonight too much.  The Ravens fans around me might think I have converted...

All the Ike Taylor criticism is misguided 1664291743

I'll be looking for the "We hate Ike" sign in the crowd.

I really hope he gets an INT tonight so you can say you were there to see it. Crazy thought, I know.

Not only an INT, but returns it for a TD too.

Be even better if it was the only score of the game All the Ike Taylor criticism is misguided 1689750825

1 NATION

Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: All the Ike Taylor criticism is misguided   All the Ike Taylor criticism is misguided EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 11:16 pm

Ok, didn't have one call against Ike (could it have been because you were at the game).
However, there were several against Shazier as well as Allen that sat me up in my chair. Unfortunately, I couldn't yell because the child was in bed.

1 NATION

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: All the Ike Taylor criticism is misguided   All the Ike Taylor criticism is misguided EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 11:57 pm

Ike was one of the few bright spots tonight.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: All the Ike Taylor criticism is misguided   All the Ike Taylor criticism is misguided Empty

Back to top Go down

All the Ike Taylor criticism is misguided
Page 1 of 1