Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeIke Taylor not happy with criticism Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Ike Taylor not happy with criticism

Go down 
+3
stlrtruck
Bays
Galax Steeler
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Galax Steeler

Galax Steeler

Ike Taylor not happy with criticism Empty
PostSubject: Ike Taylor not happy with criticism   Ike Taylor not happy with criticism EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 4:44 am

By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ike Taylor feels that he's picked on, and not just by opposing quarterbacks and receivers. The veteran cornerback complained that the local news media do not defend the Steelers, even when they cannot sometimes defend themselves on the field. He also says the media picks and chooses their statistics to make their points.

"I always felt like, you know, if we're in the same city, regardless what's going on with the team, why can't we just be family? Why can't we just point out the facts? Why does one individual have to be pointed out?"

Included in the so-called non-supporters in the new media would be his former coach, Bill Cowher, who Sunday had some critical things to say about Taylor on The NFL Today on CBS, not to mention his own coach, Mike Tomlin.

Cowher said this first about the Steelers defense: "I think they have a situation where all three losses, they lost fourth-quarter leads. They are struggling right now on defense."
PG VIDEO

He then offered what he thought was the biggest problem for the Steelers defense through five games.

"I will say the number one player is Ike Taylor," Cowher said. "He's given up seven penalties, four touchdowns, he's been targeted 44 times, and Ike is not playing his best football. What Dick [LeBeau] will have to do is protect him with a safety over the top."

Then there was Tomlin's comment about Taylor during his news conference Tuesday.

"He needs to get back to playing good, sound football," said Tomlin, whose perception of Taylor's performance surely was not formed by listening to local sports talk shows.

Taylor offered statistics to make his point that the Steelers defense is not playing as poorly as some of their critics might say.

"The stats are the stats," said Taylor, who repeated his assertions in the locker room Wednesday that he first made on his radio show Tuesday. "Y'all look at numbers, y'all throw numbers out, the numbers don't lie. And, if you want to go by numbers, we're not doing as bad as what they say we're doing."

The Steelers rank fifth in fewest yards allowed as a defense (295.8), fourth vs. the pass (200.8) and 10th vs. the run (95). But they are in the second division in the NFL, tied for 17th in points against them, allowing an average of 23 per game. Only one team has fewer than their two interceptions: the Dallas Cowboys, with one.

"Of course, that's not acceptable," Taylor said. "But the stats are the stats, and like I say, it depends on who you're talking to and what category."

Taylor's point was the media makes a big deal out of the points scored against the Steelers and not how few yards they've allowed.

He also expects Cincinnati quarterback Andy Dalton and receiver A.J. Green to target him Sunday night.

"Why wouldn't you?" Taylor said. "They're going to try me. I have 10 years of tape. Of course, I got to know going into the game that's going to happen. What I got to do is just hold it down.

"A.J. Green is probably one of the best receivers the NFL has going. Young and talented, also with the quarterback they have."

Green is third in the NFL with an average of 104.7 receiving yards per game and leads the AFC with six touchdown catches. Dalton is fifth in the league with 1,726 yards passing, although he has thrown nine interceptions.

As for stats on the Steelers cornerbacks? No interceptions, and, in a ranking of 100 cornerbacks off their play in 2012, Pro Football Focus lists Taylor 96th and Keenan Lewis 91st.
Different approach

Linebacker LaMarr Woodley was not nearly as impressed with his defense's play, and he said so when he was asked what they must do to beat the Bengals.

"First, we have to go out there and stop the run in order to force them to do some passing. This whole year we haven't been forcing teams to do anything, we've allowed them to run the ball and pass the ball on us."

Woodley looked stunned when he was told the defense ranks fifth in average yards allowed. He said the defense isn't playing to that ranking.

"No, it's horrible. Our record after five and the way we've been playing! We could easily be 4-1 right now, how we lost the last two games. As a defense, we can't allow teams to put that many points on the board against us, and that's what we've been doing lately. We've given up big plays here and there; when we give up big plays, they capitalize on it, and that's what's been hurting us."

As safety Ryan Clark noted earlier this week, they have not capitalized on things such as the dropped interception by Lewis that likely would have won their game in Tennessee last Thursday had he held on. Taylor also let a pass whiz through his hands for a Kenny Britt touchdown in that game.

"It's just slipping away from us," Woodley said. "Certain things, we have an opportunity and we're not taking advantage of it. Keenan had the chance to get the ball, he just didn't get it. He probably can't say the reason for not catching the ball. We allowed a big run during the Raiders game -- we just got out of position, and they capitalized on it."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/on-the-steelers-ike-taylor-not-happy-with-criticism-657988/#ixzz29ddlNN1B

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Ike Taylor not happy with criticism   Ike Taylor not happy with criticism EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 4:48 am

I don't care what Ike says, he sucks this year. Ask him what his penalty statistics are.

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Ike Taylor not happy with criticism   Ike Taylor not happy with criticism EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 6:24 am

I believe the problem is that Ike has gone from playing sound football to guessing on routes as well as the timing of the throw, and that's been the reason for his increased penalties. Also, it could be that Ike is getting older and, possibly, has lost a step as compared to the younger WRs that he's asked to cover.

And let's face it, our defense is designed to cover for only a brief period of time while our front 7 pressure the QB. If that doesn't happen then the coverage breaks down. It's the same issue we had in 2002 or 2003. Our defense was great except for 3rd downs, and coverage was an issue. I believe we ended with a 7-9 record that year.

Ike isn't the only problem either. Yes, he's not helping matters, but the entire defense has been playing below the standard we're use to seeing.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Ike Taylor not happy with criticism 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Ike Taylor not happy with criticism   Ike Taylor not happy with criticism EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 8:18 am

I think Ike needs to put two and two together and realize that QB's are targeting HIM, and NOT Keenan Lewis and company. They target Ike because he's an easy PI penalty, and until Troy is back on D, things will stay that way.

Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Ike Taylor not happy with criticism   Ike Taylor not happy with criticism EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 9:02 am

Gotta say I like IKE but this is not what I expect from a Steeler player and especially not Ike. If you don't already know it my feelings on stats are formed by the Great Chuck Noll. "Stats are for losers!!!" There's only one thing us fans want to see and that's Ike shutting down the guy he covers...like he used to. I don't care if he gets the int. just don't give up the big plays. Stop whining and shifting blame that's not the Steeler way and it only makes you look bad. As much as I love Ike if he can't get it done we need to find his replacement.

Still love Ike just cut the bitchin'!!!
Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: Ike Taylor not happy with criticism   Ike Taylor not happy with criticism EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 10:22 am

"Why wouldn't you?" Taylor said. "They're going to try me. I have 10 years of tape. Of course, I got to know going into the game that's going to happen. What I got to do is just hold it down."

Yeah, he's going to HOLD alright...

Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Ike Taylor not happy with criticism   Ike Taylor not happy with criticism EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 10:45 am

Ike Taylor not happy with criticism 1664291743

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Ike Taylor not happy with criticism   Ike Taylor not happy with criticism EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 11:05 am

Here's a few other things for Ike.

1) Fans pay a helluva lot of money to come see you play. And with the way things are financially for people, they have a certain right to criticize the play, as well as cheer the play on the field - based on the performance on the field.

2) If you don't like the criticism, change the way you're playing and play above the standard, not below it.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Ike Taylor not happy with criticism 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Ike Taylor not happy with criticism   Ike Taylor not happy with criticism EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 2:52 pm

I wish everybody on the defense would just shut up and fix it instead of waxing philosophical in interviews and trying to come up with excuses. Man up to the deficiencies and move forward with the intent of getting the job done. This is where the leadership void will kill us if someone doesn't step up soon.

Take it step by step:

1) Get out in front of it and accept the criticism
2) Identify the problem areas
3) Come up with a strategy to correct the problem as a unit
4) Work your ass off to get it right
5) Win the damn Super Bowl

Simple really. Ike Taylor not happy with criticism 1797695198

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Ike Taylor not happy with criticism   Ike Taylor not happy with criticism EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 3:34 pm

Quote :
Ed Bouchette@EdBouchette (via Sulia)
Show me the stats, #Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor demanded. He should watch what he wishes for.

Here they are

Pro Football Focus, which maintains all kinds of NFL stats, ranks 100 cornerbacks in the NFL. They put Ike Taylor at 96th for his performance through five games. Keenan Lewis ranks 91st. Cortez Allen, who currently is No. 3 behind those two in the Steelers pecking order, comes in at No. 30 in the NFL, according to PFF.

"The stats are the stats," said Taylor, who repeated his assertions in the locker room Wednesday that he first made on his radio show Tuesday. "Y'all look at numbers, y'all throw numbers out, the numbers don't lie. And, if you want to go by numbers, we're not doing as bad as what they say we're doing."

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ouch. Ike Taylor not happy with criticism 1683801514

Back to top Go down
tube517
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Ike Taylor not happy with criticism   Ike Taylor not happy with criticism EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 6:25 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
I wish everybody on the defense would just shut up and fix it instead of waxing philosophical in interviews and trying to come up with excuses. Man up to the deficiencies and move forward with the intent of getting the job done. This is where the leadership void will kill us if someone doesn't step up soon.

Take it step by step:

1) Get out in front of it and accept the criticism
2) Identify the problem areas
3) Come up with a strategy to correct the problem as a unit
4) Work your ass off to get it right
5) Win the damn Super Bowl

Simple really. Ike Taylor not happy with criticism 1797695198

Hit the nail on the head. We have no leadership on the defense...Who is the captain? I don't even know anymore.

PostSubject: Re: Ike Taylor not happy with criticism   Ike Taylor not happy with criticism Empty

Back to top Go down

Ike Taylor not happy with criticism
Page 1 of 1