Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeGradkowski, Jones struggling to fill backup QB duties for Steelers Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Gradkowski, Jones struggling to fill backup QB duties for Steelers

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Gradkowski, Jones struggling to fill backup QB duties for Steelers Empty
PostSubject: Gradkowski, Jones struggling to fill backup QB duties for Steelers   Gradkowski, Jones struggling to fill backup QB duties for Steelers EmptyMon Aug 18, 2014 2:05 pm

Quote :
By Ralph N. Paulk

It's as difficult to measure a backup quarterback during practice as it is to judge a book by its cover. Yet, Ben Roethlisberger's backups have been an easy read after the Steelers' first two preseason games.

Incumbent second-stringer Bruce Gradkowski and second-year quarterback Landry Jones haven't distinguished themselves during the preseason. And both acknowledged there's room for improvement after the Steelers' 19-16 win over the Buffalo Bills on Saturday night.

Gradkowski, a veteran journeyman, began training camp as the No. 2 behind Roethlisberger. Again, he likely will begin the season opener against the Cleveland Browns ahead of Jones on the depth chart.

Jones failed to push Gradkowski after coach Mike Tomlin let him work with the first-team offense at Heinz Field. Jones delivered an uninspiring audition that might have left him bound for the practice squad.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/6594361-74/batch-steelers-dixon#ixzz3AlgKcK7r
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

I couldn't agree more. Gradkowski and Jones have been unimpressive at best. I still have faith in Gradkowski ... I've seen him play quite a few times, and I know he has what it takes to be a suitable backup ... he just needs to get it together. Jones, on the other hand, is a dud. I'll be surprised if they don't find a replacement for him.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

Gradkowski, Jones struggling to fill backup QB duties for Steelers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gradkowski, Jones struggling to fill backup QB duties for Steelers   Gradkowski, Jones struggling to fill backup QB duties for Steelers EmptyTue Aug 19, 2014 7:14 am

After watching the Browns/Redskins game last night, I gotta say that Gradkowski and Jones looked better than Manziel and Hoyer. Cousins certainly out-shined both as well.

Here's why I like Gradkowski when compared to Leftwich, Batch, and Dixon: Grad isn't a sitting duck in the pocket like Batch and Leftwich, but is also able to throw a decent ball unlike Dixon.

Gradkowski, Jones struggling to fill backup QB duties for Steelers
Page 1 of 1