Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSorry to post this buttttt: Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Sorry to post this buttttt:

Go down 
+5
stlrtruck
Steelerella
Gingerchip
Bays
Drizztbob
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Drizztbob

Drizztbob

Sorry to post this buttttt: Empty
PostSubject: Sorry to post this buttttt:   Sorry to post this buttttt: EmptyFri Oct 17, 2014 3:54 pm

It definitely has me a little nervous that Ben leaving could be a possibility:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/smizik-on-sports/2014/10/16/Bob-Smizik-24/stories/201410160262

And no, I'm not Crash...

Sorry to post this buttttt: 611739232

Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Sorry to post this buttttt:   Sorry to post this buttttt: EmptyFri Oct 17, 2014 4:04 pm

That article honestly didn't change anything for me. I'm still not worried about it. Sorry to post this buttttt: 1797695198

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Sorry to post this buttttt:   Sorry to post this buttttt: EmptyFri Oct 17, 2014 6:33 pm

Better you than me. I was going to post it.......but....... Sorry to post this buttttt: 1797695198

I read the article and believe that it could possibly happen. I don't believe it to be probable, but one never knows.

Ben's contract is up the end of this season, correct? My question is if Ben has a bad year (I'm not really concerned about that, but for giggles sake, let's say if), are the Rooney's going to be willing to pay him the big bucks to keep him?

I have actually seen this discussion going on at other forums. Some feel he is expendable as he is nearing the end of his career. I heartily do not agree. It's difficult to find a good franchise QB (look at the years between Bradshaw and Ben). If push came to shove, I think Art II would lose Haley before he'd ever let Ben walk, imho.

Disclaimer: I'm not Crash either

Sorry to post this buttttt: We_bel10
Back to top Go down
Steelerella

Steelerella

PostSubject: Re: Sorry to post this buttttt:   Sorry to post this buttttt: EmptyFri Oct 17, 2014 7:04 pm

I do think that Ben is a man of his word when he said that he wants to retire as a Pittsburgh Steeler.
Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: Sorry to post this buttttt:   Sorry to post this buttttt: EmptyFri Oct 17, 2014 8:13 pm

In my heart of hearts, I don't believe he would leave either. He started his career here, and I think he really wants to end it here. But there has been something off with Ben this season while watching him play. I've mentioned it before, and I can't put my finger on it. Lack of desire or SOMETHING...anyway, to answer your question Ginger, he has a year left on his contract before he gets opened up to free agency and the Steelers are expected to make him a deal before that happens. But if shotty play continues by Ben, and I just won't let myself believe it is intentional, the Steelers may opt to let him test the waters, who knows...

stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Sorry to post this buttttt:   Sorry to post this buttttt: EmptyFri Oct 17, 2014 9:37 pm

It's always a possibility. The way this league is run now, it's never about keeping players for their entire contracts or until they retire. Very few, over the last 15 years have had that luxury. Likewise players are also looking for their next great paycheck and with the business this has become, they're all about monies.

Do I expect Ben to leave at the end of the season? No.
Do I anticipate the Steelers offering him another 3-4 year contract? Yes
Can it all backfire regardless of which way it goes? Yes
Do the Steelers need to find his replacement soon? Yes

Ben has always stated he wanted to finish his career here. The Steelers have mentioned they wanted him to finish his career here. Now it's up to both sides to make it happen and the media can write what ever the heck they want. It's all fodder, and all just for hysterics in a season not yet gone south. I can't imagine what the storylines will be if the Steelers fall below .500 and stay there.

But then again, negativity is the way of the NFL lately.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Sorry to post this buttttt: 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Sorry to post this buttttt:   Sorry to post this buttttt: EmptySat Oct 18, 2014 12:05 am

I guess we'll have to wait and see how this season plays out.  

Deep down, I think he'll stay.  But as Truck said, the NFL is all about $$$$.  Not going to fret.  If he goes, not a damn thing we can do about it, and we'll just hope we get lucky in the draft.  GB did.

Quote :
Do the Steelers need to find his replacement soon? Yes

Yep.  I said this last year ......ohhh wait......we got Landry Jones Rolling Eyes

I know we have more pressing needs (like cornerback, NT), but if I were Tomlin and Colbert....I wouldn't put it on the back burner.  Would be nice to start grooming someone and have a solid back up at the same time.  I mean, GB hit the lotto with Rodgers , Kurt Warner was picked up while he was bagging groceries, and Tom Terrific didn't go until, what, the sixth round?  

Ohhhh.......and speaking of that dreamboat Warner Sorry to post this buttttt: 1374986764

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Sorry to post this buttttt:   Sorry to post this buttttt: EmptySat Oct 18, 2014 1:22 am

Here's a different slant. I agree something is off with Ben. Could it be possible that he is losing his desire to play,period? He has taken a lot of punishment over his career. Could it be possible that he simply retires and winds up in the booth?

Ella I also think he is a man of his word and that has me wondering if he is starting to think about retirement.
Back to top Go down
Galax Steeler

Galax Steeler

PostSubject: Re: Sorry to post this buttttt:   Sorry to post this buttttt: EmptySat Oct 18, 2014 7:17 am

I think Ben will be in Pittsburgh his entire career,I am not worried at all.

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Sorry to post this buttttt:   Sorry to post this buttttt: EmptySat Oct 18, 2014 12:54 pm

Off the top of my head, Joe Montana, Peyton Manning, and Brett Favre are three great QBs who didn't finish where they started. In all three situations, the teams decided it was time to move on.

It's a very real possibility that Ben and the Steelers will part ways in the near future. I think what it boils down to is whether the front office believes the current team has a chance to compete for a Super Bowl over the next few seasons. If they do, then they'll want to keep Ben around. If they don't, then they might want to start the rebuilding process. Obviously, it would be best to have Ben's replacement on the roster before parting ways, and the Steelers' future QB is not currently on the roster.

Steeler Nation will freak out when they bring in Ben's eventual replacement. But it would be stupid to wait until Ben retires, leaves, or the team decides it's time to move on.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Sorry to post this buttttt:   Sorry to post this buttttt: EmptySat Oct 18, 2014 4:39 pm

solardave wrote:
Here's a different slant. I agree something is off with Ben. Could it be possible that he is losing his desire to play,period? He has taken a lot of punishment over his career. Could it be possible that he simply retires and winds up in the booth?

Ella I also think he is a man of his word and that has me wondering if he is starting to think about retirement.

Throw in the fact that he's got 2 kids now. Can make a world of difference.

1 NATION

Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Sorry to post this buttttt:   Sorry to post this buttttt: EmptySat Oct 18, 2014 4:39 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
Off the top of my head, Joe Montana, Peyton Manning, and Brett Favre are three great QBs who didn't finish where they started. In all three situations, the teams decided it was time to move on.

It's a very real possibility that Ben and the Steelers will part ways in the near future. I think what it boils down to is whether the front office believes the current team has a chance to compete for a Super Bowl over the next few seasons. If they do, then they'll want to keep Ben around. If they don't, then they might want to start the rebuilding process. Obviously, it would be best to have Ben's replacement on the roster before parting ways, and the Steelers' future QB is not currently on the roster.

Steeler Nation will freak out when they bring in Ben's eventual replacement. But it would be stupid to wait until Ben retires, leaves, or the team decides it's time to move on.

All of those teams had replacements for those 3 you mentioned. The Steelers would be idiotic to believe that Landry Jones can fill the starter's role.

1 NATION

Back to top Go down
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Sorry to post this buttttt:   Sorry to post this buttttt: EmptySat Oct 18, 2014 11:08 pm

Quote :
All of those teams had replacements for those 3 you mentioned. The Steelers would be idiotic to believe that Landry Jones can fill the starter's role.

Yes, if Ben moves on for whatever reason, and we don't have a back up on the roster that has talent, then I will have a full blown panic attack.  

I still can't figure out what they saw in Landry Jones. Sorry to post this buttttt: 2087824411  Maybe they see something we don't see...(cough)

Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Sorry to post this buttttt:   Sorry to post this buttttt: EmptySun Oct 19, 2014 7:35 am

BR7 may go, BR7 may stay; I'm going to enjoy him while he's here. I really hope he finishes his career as a Steeler.

PostSubject: Re: Sorry to post this buttttt:   Sorry to post this buttttt: Empty

Back to top Go down

Sorry to post this buttttt:
Page 1 of 1