Steelers Xtreme Forum

Home2015 Draft Discussion - Page 2 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

2015 Draft Discussion

Go down 
+20
IowaSteeler927
PhantomJB93
teegre
Dave75th
goldsteel86
KeepHarrisonTilHes92
Buddha Bus
SteelersCanada
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu
steelcityboyz
Lokki
steelstoned1972
BlackAndGold
SteelCityUnderground
kirklandrules
SteelersYak
solardave
Drizztbob
stlrtruck
Wallace108
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Drizztbob

Drizztbob

2015 Draft Discussion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 13, 2015 7:21 pm

Good input there Kirkland, I wanna check those guys out. To be honest, I haven't put any time in past 4th rounders, but will soon!

kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 26, 2015 7:33 pm

Looks like the Steelers might just get a shot at picking up Gregory at 22 after all. I'm sure Colbert is thinking they haven't had too many problems with potheads.
Someone should tell that kid you're supposed to have joint problems after your NFL career, not before. 2015 Draft Discussion - Page 2 1650858226

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2015/story/_/id/12560618/nfl-draft-prospect-randy-gregory-tested-positive-marijuana-combine
Back to top Go down
SteelCityUnderground

SteelCityUnderground

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 30, 2015 12:14 pm

Love reading this discussion. For personal reasons, I miss quite a bit of college football, though I do try to follow Ohio State as much as I can.

It's during this analysis period that I too pick up on a lot of the prospects and who might fit where. That said, I still can't give a great opinion other than knowing what the Steelers need.

As most of the comments here already leaned toward, I'm thinking DE/OLB pass rusher, CB and TE. If they don't take a TE before the 3rd round, forget about it. Analysts say TE isn't a deep position in this draft, and I'm sick of Pittsburgh blowing late round picks on the position (Paulson, Palmer, Blanchflower.)

Adding another first rounder at the OLB spot would be pretty damn sweet, but it's not a necessity with Harrison back, Moats factoring in and some prospects like Howard Jones and Shawn Lemon.

CB too is fairly safe with Gay, Allen and Blake. Yeah I know, they're not popular and Allen got torched last year, but he was in position to make plays, and Keenan Lewis fared no better in NO last season too. Tez gets his act together, he should be fine... question is, will he?

I also don't like CB early, because you look at last year's "deep" CB draft, and players like Justin Gilbert and Darqueze Denard had trouble getting on the field. Dennard could be good, and just stuck behind a deep Cincy rotation. Gilbert wasn't good at all and was benched for crappy Buster Skrines (of all people.)

Kyle Fuller started in Chicago, but he was a penalty machine too. Just as bad as having someone who can't cover. The Dee Milliner project is all but over in New York too.

Then you see a guy like Richard Sherman who was picked in the 4th or 5th round. That doesn't always work but when it does, you look like a genius.

That said, I wonder what our outlook is for safety? Does Mitchell switch spots to replace Troy, which is MM's more natural position when he played in Carolina? Does Shark see the field finally? Does Will Allen return?

Probably a long shot, but I'd love to get the S from Alabama. That kid looks tough as nails, but again, IDK how he fits into the Steelers scheme, so might be talking out my ass!

http://steelcityunderground.com
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 07, 2015 9:45 pm

Quote :
Report: Tomlin, Colbert Attend University Of Florida Pro Day

PITTSBURGH (93-7 The FAN) – When an NFL head coach or a general manager attend a college Pro Day, that usually means there’s a player the team is very interested in, but when both attend, you can just about be certain there is a player at the school the team wants.

According to reports, that was the case with the Pittsburgh Steelers and the University of Florida Pro Day this week as both Mike Tomlin and Kevin Colbert were in attendance.

As Kirk Larrabee of 247Sports.com writes, the Steelers’ head coach and GM were amongst many NFL personnel taking in Florida’s Pro Day.

Florida has one of the top players in this year’s draft in edge rusher Dante Fowler Jr.

Larrabbe writes though that another Florida draft prospect, running back Matt Jones, has a meeting set up with the Steelers’ staff, so it’s more likely that he’s the player the Steelers are most interested in.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2015/04/07/report-tomlin-colbert-attend-university-of-florida-pro-day/

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 07, 2015 11:14 pm

Quote :
Steelers Show Interest In Syracuse S Durell Eskridge During Pro Day

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/04/report-steelers-show-interest-in-syracuse-s-durell-eskridge-during-pro-day/

Haven't we already met our quota on Syracuse safeties? 2015 Draft Discussion - Page 2 2829330259

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 08, 2015 1:08 am

Wallace108 wrote:
Quote :
Report: Tomlin, Colbert Attend University Of Florida Pro Day

PITTSBURGH (93-7 The FAN) – When an NFL head coach or a general manager attend a college Pro Day, that usually means there’s a player the team is very interested in, but when both attend, you can just about be certain there is a player at the school the team wants.

According to reports, that was the case with the Pittsburgh Steelers and the University of Florida Pro Day this week as both Mike Tomlin and Kevin Colbert were in attendance.

As Kirk Larrabee of 247Sports.com writes, the Steelers’ head coach and GM were amongst many NFL personnel taking in Florida’s Pro Day.

Florida has one of the top players in this year’s draft in edge rusher Dante Fowler Jr.

Larrabbe writes though that another Florida draft prospect, running back Matt Jones, has a meeting set up with the Steelers’ staff, so it’s more likely that he’s the player the Steelers are most interested in.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2015/04/07/report-tomlin-colbert-attend-university-of-florida-pro-day/

They also met Max Garcia who played center for the Gators last year. He has played everywhere on the line for the Gators. Could be a late round pick or a potential undrafted signing. Coaching staff likes there offensive lineman being position flexible.

Last edited by BlackAndGold on Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 08, 2015 1:13 am

I have nothing to add. I just wanted to say welcome to SX BlackAndGold. 2015 Draft Discussion - Page 2 230572241

Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 08, 2015 3:50 am

Wallace108 wrote:
I have nothing to add. I just wanted to say welcome to SX BlackAndGold. 2015 Draft Discussion - Page 2 230572241

Thanks 2015 Draft Discussion - Page 2 230572241

steelstoned1972

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 08, 2015 7:58 am

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/04/2015-nfl-mock-draft-kaboly-has-steelers-going-olb-in-first-round/http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/04/2015-nfl-mock-draft-kaboly-has-steelers-going-olb-in-first-round/

Steelstoned @Steelcrazycraig1972
Back to top Go down
SteelCityUnderground

SteelCityUnderground

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 08, 2015 9:58 am

Don't think we could get Fowler. Doesn't even look like Dupree will fall to us now. Never know though.

I personally like the S from Alabama and would definitely take the top 1-2 safeties over a corner in a heartbeat.

Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus
Lokki

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 08, 2015 10:54 am

The Steelers draft day flowchart should be like this..

Have you drafted a cornerback yet?

No - Draft one now, dumbass!

Yes - Wonderful, draft another!

----

Have you drafted a linebacker yet?

No - Did you draft at least one cornerback already?
---- No - Grab a cornerback first, dumbass, then come back to this question!
---- Yes - Grab the best LB available

Yes - Great!  Now let's look at DE depth.
Back to top Go down
SteelCityUnderground

SteelCityUnderground

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 08, 2015 10:57 am

I don't necessarily agree with that, for a variety of reasons. One being, a rookie is going to struggle and may not be an immediate impact (regardless of position.) We can't afford to go backward at the corner position and you'd be hard pressed to tell me that players like Justin Gilbert and Dee Milliner (the highest rated in the last 2 drafts) have become shutdown corners.

Even Kyle Fuller, who many had pegged to go to us last year, struggled with the Bears. Darqueze Denard, another that was mocked to us last year, didn't sniff playing time with the Bengals, but he gets a pass due to a deep rotation on their roster. Not ruling any of those guys out yet, but the true finds at the position seem to come in the middle rounds, and thus, are less risky than blowing a first round pick on a potential bust.

Corner is also deeper than safety when it comes to talent available. Same with pass rushers. That's why they're eyeballing these DE's that can shift outside in a 3-4, and/or an OLB. I would think they target a S too. Looking back, you couldn't have guessed how Spence or Vince Williams would've turned out, so the Shazier pick was smart at the time. Now we have a luxury of players on the inside... otherwise, if you could tell the future, I would've loved Ha Ha Clinton-Dix last year to us. That's what I see in this other Alabama kid, who's name escapes me (Collins?)

Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus
Lokki

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 08, 2015 12:30 pm

A CB may not make an immediate impact, but if we don't draft any to develop, then the problem will just become worse and worse. We certainly aren't putting a band-aid on it via Free Agency.
Back to top Go down
SteelCityUnderground

SteelCityUnderground

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 08, 2015 12:44 pm

The other thing is, unless Butler changes the scheme up from LeBeau, our corners play more zone than man-to-man, which is why they're always so far off the ball. That's where the conception of a shutdown corner is completely lost with this team. We just need someone who can cover and make plays.

I still think Cortez Allen could be that guy. He was in position, but failed to make those plays. It was as frustrating to watch as I'm sure it was for him to go through. I hope the kid can fix his psyche and rebound, because the team sorely needs a playmaker.

Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus
Lokki

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 08, 2015 12:51 pm

I agree. Going into last season, I thought that we would be ok with Cortez back there. Then he lost his confidence and spiraled downward. I'm hoping that he can rebound and get his head straight. Gay really stepped up when we needed him to.

Of course, the front 7 has to get way more pressure on the QB. If that happens, then our secondary won't be relied on as much to make the plays.

I hope that Butler changes up just enough to not make the defense predictable to the teams that have gotten used to LeBeau's style.
Back to top Go down
steelstoned1972

steelstoned1972

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 08, 2015 12:52 pm

Bpa at corner or OLB !

Back to top Go down
SteelCityUnderground

SteelCityUnderground

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 08, 2015 12:54 pm

Agree it's been predictable, even for those of us watching the game!

I think they had the plan set to go with Keenan Lewis and Cortez Allen, develop them and they'd be ready by now. Unfortunately, Lewis played early and got paid early. Tez has to fix himself.

Wish we had used one of those previous middle round picks on another corner. IMO the Landry Jones pick was a giant waste. There was absolutely no need to take him or anyone for that matter. Worse, he'll be lucky to make it another year or so in the NFL.

Dri Archer could be in that category. Not sure why we wanted him in that spot. Could've gotten another RB with the pick we spent on Shaq Richardson.

steelcityboyz

steelcityboyz

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 08, 2015 6:52 pm

Lokki wrote:
A CB may not make an immediate impact, but if we don't draft any to develop, then the problem will just become worse and worse.  We certainly aren't putting a band-aid on it via Free Agency.  
I agree Lokki. If there is a marcus peters or equivalent in talent available the steelers better jump on it. Waiting to develop a CB is a big mistake.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 08, 2015 7:32 pm

Quote :
Eli Harold among visitors to Steelers

Posted by Josh Alper

Outside linebacker and cornerback are two spots that the Steelers are expected to address in the draft and they met with prospects at both positions in their first round of pre-draft visits on Wednesday.

Mark Kaboly of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports that Virginia linebacker Eli Harold, Utah defensive end/linebacker Nate Orchard and Ole Miss cornerback Senquez Golson met with the team.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/08/eli-harold-among-visitors-to-steelers/

Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 10, 2015 12:32 pm

I'm usually not good at this but I think we go CB in Rd-1, OLB in Rd-2. I'm definitely going to be watching the visits more carefully this year since I've learned that if a guy visits, he's a good pick to go. So come draft weekend I'll look at the needs on the board and combine that with visits. Hoping it's a good draft. It would be great to find a stud corner in this draft along with another great pass rusher.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 11, 2015 9:47 am

blazing steel wrote:
If there is a marcus peters or equivalent in talent available the steelers better jump on it. Waiting to develop a  CB is a big mistake.

I have a feeling Marcus Peters isn't on the Steelers draft board. That guy is a problem. Not only did he become such an issue to his coaches that they threw him off the team last year, but his play was selfish. Against Georgia State, he had an awesome one-handed interception in the endzone. He then stood over the fallen receiver in an obvious taunt, then turned and ran the ball out of the endzone. When I saw that highlight, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. What a d-bag. There was a report that he bombed the combine interviews.

You are right that Peters is an awesome talent ... he was either the #1 or #2 corner without the thug attitude.

If the Steelers go with an OLB in the 1st, I think Ifo Ekpre-Olomu might still be there in the 2nd. He was right up there with Peters, until he blew out his knee during the bowl season. I love this kid's play. The only downside is that he's on the shorter side.

My dark horse CB pick would be Damian Swann from Georgia. He's not a first year starter, but he has the talent. The Bulldog's run defense really stunk last year, so teams didn't have to throw as much and it reduced the opportunities for Swann. Anyways, he might be a good 3rd or 4th rounder.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 1:25 am

Quote :
Ohio State TE Jeff Heuerman Informs Fans Of Upcoming Visit With Steelers

The Pittsburgh Steelers have already brought three tight ends in for pre-draft visits and it sounds like another one might be in town on Monday.

READ MORE: http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/04/ohio-state-te-jeff-heuerman-informs-fans-of-upcoming-visit-with-steelers/

Back to top Go down
SteelersCanada

SteelersCanada

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 10:47 am

It'll be Eli Harold if he's there.
Back to top Go down
steelstoned1972

steelstoned1972

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 11:42 am

SteelersCanada wrote:
It'll be Eli Harold if he's there.

Hey Canada , good to see ya.

But I agree with you.

If all the other top edge rushers are gone , including Harold then and only then will they go corner in the first round.

Back to top Go down
steelstoned1972

steelstoned1972

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 11:45 am

Wallace108 wrote:
Quote :
Ohio State TE Jeff Heuerman Informs Fans Of Upcoming Visit With Steelers

The Pittsburgh Steelers have already brought three tight ends in for pre-draft visits and it sounds like another one might be in town on Monday.

READ MORE: http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/04/ohio-state-te-jeff-heuerman-informs-fans-of-upcoming-visit-with-steelers/
well if its true they brought 3 Tes in for visits.

I'd say we'll take one some where.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

2015 Draft Discussion
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next