Steelers Xtreme Forum

Home2015 Draft Discussion - Page 4 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

2015 Draft Discussion

Go down 
+20
IowaSteeler927
PhantomJB93
teegre
Dave75th
goldsteel86
KeepHarrisonTilHes92
Buddha Bus
SteelersCanada
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu
steelcityboyz
Lokki
steelstoned1972
BlackAndGold
SteelCityUnderground
kirklandrules
SteelersYak
solardave
Drizztbob
stlrtruck
Wallace108
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
teegre

teegre

2015 Draft Discussion - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 1:09 am

PhantomJB93 wrote:
Finally found my way over here.  So I guess SteelersFever is officially dead now?

Anyway, I really wouldn't mind if we just loaded up on Washington defensive players the first couple rounds.  Any combination of Shelton or Peters in Round 1 and Kikaha or Thompson in round 2 or 3 would make me happy.  They all seem like potential studs that could fit into our defense somewhere.  I think I'm sold on Peters as our R1 pick assuming nobody falls; I like him better than the other CBs, Landon Collins, or any OLB outside of Beasley/Gregory/Ray/Fowler/Dupree.

See above
Back to top Go down
teegre

teegre

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 1:12 am

KeepHarrisonTilHes92 wrote:

Ill take that any day of the week. Whatever names come up, I hope this draft saturates the secondary as much as that mock.

I see two CBs and two OLBs being drafted: one each early, and one each late.

Pass rush problem solved.
Back to top Go down
SteelCityUnderground

SteelCityUnderground

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 12:30 pm

teegre wrote:
SteelCityUnderground wrote:
From what I hear/read I second this comment. (BTW we already have Shaq Richardson, I think you meant Shaq Thompson)

Seems like Washington has 2 studs in the draft, with Marcus Peters being the other.

No, no, no... I meant Shaq Richardson.  I liked that pick so much, that I want to make it again.  Just wait until 2016, when I advocate for drafting Limas Sweed.  

Actually, Washington has four very good defenders: Thompson & Peters... plus, Danny Shelton, and Hau'oli Kihaha.  
R1:  Peters/Shelton
R2:  Thompson
R3:  Kihaha  

LMAO!

I meant to say 2 good defensive backs or a good secondary. You're absolutely right about the others.

http://steelcityunderground.com
steelstoned1972

steelstoned1972

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 12:36 pm

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/draft/2015/04/14/draft-diary-nate-orchard-utah-utes/25743901/

NFL draft diary: Nate Orchard in a rush before big day
Tom Pelissero, USA TODAY Sports 1:21 p.m. EDT April 14, 2015
XXX NCAA FOOTBALL- PAC-12 MEDIA DAY__3485.JPG S FBC USA CA
(Photo: Kelvin Kuo, USA TODAY Sports)

USA TODAY Sports has assembled a talented team of prospects to chronicle their paths to the NFL draft. Today's entry is from Utah defensive end Nate Orchard, who ranked among the nation's leaders with 18½ sacks and earned second-team All-America honors in 2014.

Last week, I had visits with the Pittsburgh Steelers, then with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. It was a heck of a trip, just because I had so many flights and connections in different places.

On the way to Pittsburgh, my first flight was delayed and I missed my connection, so I was stuck in the airport for 8 hours. I had to take a redeye out the next day, connecting through Charlotte. I didn't sleep at all, because I can't sleep on planes. When I finally got to Pittsburgh, I was up 24 hours already.

USA TODAY
Utah's Nate Orchard balances family, training ahead of draft

But I made it and got to meet the staff – Coach Mike Tomlin and the GM, Kevin Colbert, and then the position coach, Joey Porter. It was a huge honor just to sit there and watch film with Coach Porter, and he was very interested in me. He loved me as a player and the things I was doing on the field and especially off the field. They were very happy with the way I handled situations in my upbringing.

It was really good in Tampa, too. I had a chance to talk with Coach Lovie Smith. He was amazing, and also very complimentary of my past and how I've handled it. And he's excited by me as a player. He really envisioned me being in Tampa with the team, fitting in the defensive scheme. I met the entire staff there, had a tour of the facility.

The Bucs already had a private workout with me, too. That's definitely a good sign. But there are so many teams that are interested. Everyone says they want me in a way – that if I'm there when they pick, they're going to draft me. Ultimately, you just can't get your hopes up.

USA TODAY
NFL draft diary: Nate Orchard shaped by hard life lessons

It's been one heck of a process, and time's getting close. My wife's anxious to get to know where we're going to be. Florida and Texas are places she's interested in. But at the same time, we have no control of where we go. We're hoping for somewhere great.

I'm taking some downtime right now, just getting back in my groove of working out and not have to worry about flying all over the place. I'm back in Utah, back in my routine, which is nice. I'm back with the family, and I'm working out at a facility that I need to get myself ready.

Don't laugh, but the facility is called Boxing Is For Girls. I started going there before my senior year in college, and now I'm going back. Eliza James, the head trainer, does a great job of kicking my butt, keeping me in shape and making me perform to the highest level. I'm constantly pushing weight. There's hardly any rest in between our reps. Just a real intense workout.

USA TODAY ONLINE STORE
NFL Draft Preview 2015

Then, in the afternoons, I'll go over to my high school, work out with my high school coach, Coach Brody Benson, and we'll do our d-line stuff there, continue techniques and things like that throughout the day. In between all that, I'm doing my recovery. I've got my massages lined up. I've got chiropractors once a week. I go over to my high school and still do rehab and maintenance on my body.

It's almost like Groundhog Day – same thing, different day. Wake up, work out, take care of the kids, help out the wife around the house. Our little one's getting big. Everybody's doing great.

Follow Nate Orchard on Twitter at @OrchardNate

PHOTOS: Top prospects in NFL draft

Steelstoned @Steelcrazycraig1972
Back to top Go down
SteelCityUnderground

SteelCityUnderground

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 12:40 pm

I read this yesterday. Really makes me wonder where Orchard and/or Harold end up getting selected. Many thing late 1st or early 2nd round.

steelstoned1972

steelstoned1972

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 12:47 pm

I read this yesterday. Really makes me wonder where Orchard and/or Harold end up getting selected. Many thing late 1st or early 2nd round.

the pass rushers always go fast and furious so I'd be willing to bet they go in the second half of the first round

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 2:28 pm

Quote :
Maligned Nebraska OLB Gregory visits Steelers

By Mark Kaboly

Nebraska rush outside linebacker Randy Gregory won't likely be around when the Steelers make their first-round pick at No. 22 in the NFL Draft later this month, but they aren't taking anything for granted, especially following his positive marijuana test during the Combine in February.

Gregory, once considered a sure-fire top-10 pick, had a pre-draft visit with the Steelers on Thursday at the team's South Side facility.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/8186778-74/gregory-steelers-draft#ixzz3XUxEP5GK
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
SteelCityUnderground

SteelCityUnderground

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 2:53 pm

I was contemplating the pros and cons of Gregory's weed ordeal being planned.

If you get drafted high, you're going to, more than likely, a basement dweller. Yes, you might get paid more, but you could also become damaged goods and be out of the league quickly.

If you get drafted lower, you risk less pay, but you may end up with a contender. You may still play right away. You may sit your first year. You're still going to get paid after 4-5 years once your rookie deal expires. Your stock might be worth more if you play well for a good team versus going down with the ship on a bad team.

Thoughts?

PhantomJB93

PhantomJB93

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 9:59 pm

teegre wrote:
BlackAndGold wrote:

I'd be ecstatic if Shaq falls to round 2.

He'd be the new Troy, he'd line up all over the defense.

Yep.  

I've stated for a few years that LeBeau wanted a hybrid ILB/SS to match up with tight ends.  He tried Troy in that role in 2013.  I think Thompson is the perfect hybrid.  

I love Thompson as a defensive weapon like you said. And I'm not necessarily opposed to having 2 of them, but wasn't Shazier just drafted for this same purpose?
Back to top Go down
teegre

teegre

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 10:44 pm

PhantomJB93 wrote:
I love Thompson as a defensive weapon like you said.  And I'm not necessarily opposed to having 2 of them, but wasn't Shazier just drafted for this same purpose?

Good question.

I see Shazier as the every down ILB... like Luke Kuechley.

I see Thompson as the over-sized SS... something more like Kam Chancellor.

As in: imagine a defense with those two. :fap:
Back to top Go down
teegre

teegre

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 10:48 pm

LMAO!

I meant to say 2 good defensive backs or a good secondary. You're absolutely right about the others.

I truly think that they'll do like they did for the WR position: one early, one late.

And, Shamarko is a huge question mark. Even if he's solid, he is seemingly always injured. Hence, I am not at all opposed to drafting a SS as early as R1.
Back to top Go down
teegre

teegre

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 11:32 pm

I was contemplating the pros and cons of Gregory's weed ordeal being planned.

If you get drafted high, you're going to, more than likely, a basement dweller. Yes, you might get paid more, but you could also become damaged goods and be out of the league quickly.

If you get drafted lower, you risk less pay, but you may end up with a contender. You may still play right away. You may sit your first year. You're still going to get paid after 4-5 years once your rookie deal expires. Your stock might be worth more if you play well for a good team versus going down with the ship on a bad team.

Thoughts?

It's always better for a player's career to go to a good team.

But, kids are young & dumb*... and, they'd prefer that early big payday.

Note: After my first year on the job, I opted for a year of pay, versus a year of tenure. Nine years later, when layoffs came, I was sweating bullets... because, I was one year from the "safe" mark. Young & dumb.

Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 17, 2015 4:32 am

Gregory is impressed with those 6 trophies

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion - Page 4 EmptySat Apr 18, 2015 9:40 am

NFLDraftScout.com
Depth Perception: Predicting Steelers' 8 picks in 2015 draft
By Frank Cooney | NFLDraftScout.com
April 17, 2015 6:07 pm ET

The Pittsburgh Steelers have eight picks in the 2015 NFL Draft, beginning with the No. 22 selection in the first round April 30 in Chicago.

The Steelers had mixed results in recent drafts. Th eir best draft choice came in the sixth round of 2010 when they picked wide receiver Antonio Brown, and other value picks with tackle Kelvin Beachum (7th, 2012) and wide receiver Martavis Bryant (4th, 2014).

They also hit with Le'Veon Bell, David DeCastro, Cam Heyward, Maurkice Pouncey as high picks.

Here is a look at the Steelers recent draft history with roster tallies reflecting totals as of the end of the 2014 season. Below that are the team's current needs heading into this draft and our projection for all their 2015 picks.

STEELERS LAST FIVE DRAFTS
2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
TOTAL PICKS 10 7 9 9 9
STARTERS 3 2 2 3 2
BACKUPS 0 1 2 3 4
OTHER TEAMS 4 1 3 1 1
OUT OF LEAGUE 3 3 2 2 2

STEELERS TOP THREE NEEDS IN 2015 DRAFT
--1. Cornerback: With Ike Taylor and Brice McCain gone, the Steelers have only two players under contract who played the position for them: William Gay and Cortez Allen. RFA Antwon Blake is expected back. They need help, lots of it.
--2. Outside linebacker: James Harrison and Arthur Moats were re-signed and Jarvis Jones is back. Jason Worilds retired. They signed Shawn Lemon from the CFL.
--3. Safety: Mike Mitchell returns at strong safety but Troy Polamalu retired. They drafted Shamarko Thomas in 2013 to eventually take over for Polamalu but he has been hurt and has played the position very little. Veteran Will Allen, who has filled in for both Mitchell and Polamalu, re-signed after Polamalu retired, but more is needed.

MAKE ALL THE STEELERS' 2015 PICKS
Below is a list of all eight Steelers picks in this draft, with players suggested by NFLDraftScout.com.
Who would you take?

1/22: Kevin Johnson, CB, Wake Forest
2/56: Cody Prewitt, S, Mississippi
3/87: Hau'oli Kikaha, OLB, Washington
4/121: Alex Carter, S, Stanford,
5/160: Mike Glowinski, G, W. Virginia
6/199: Karlos Williams, RB, Florida State
6/212: Ellis McCarthy, DT, UCLA
7/239: Robert Myers, G, Tennessee State

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/25153058/depth-perception-predicting-steelers-8-picks-in-2015-draft

Back to top Go down
teegre

teegre

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion - Page 4 EmptySat Apr 18, 2015 10:24 am

There's NO way that Carter is there in R4.

Back to top Go down
SteelCityUnderground

SteelCityUnderground

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion - Page 4 EmptyTue Apr 21, 2015 1:51 pm

Two safeties, no TE or WR? That doesn't fit the draft visits, nor some of the potential needs.

The above article also forgot about consistent special teamers like Ross Ventrone and Robert Golden. It's not impossible, but I just don't see why they'd take 2 safeties.

Now, 3 DBs overall, with 2 being corners, might happen.

KeepHarrisonTilHes92

KeepHarrisonTilHes92

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion - Page 4 EmptyTue Apr 21, 2015 6:34 pm

teegre wrote:

Yeah Buddhas mock would be amazing if it happened like that.
Back to top Go down
teegre

teegre

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 22, 2015 7:06 am

teegre wrote:

Exactly. Carter in the fourth... steal.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 22, 2015 7:20 am

Secondary and pass rushers. Offense should be the last of our concerns right now. Need someone who can step in and rush the quarterback right off the bat, and if we could get someone who could come in and play some corner... That'd be a nice bonus.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
KeepHarrisonTilHes92

KeepHarrisonTilHes92

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 22, 2015 10:49 pm

Steelers Nation Unite's draft was hilarious . 2015 Draft Discussion - Page 4 1797695198 2015 Draft Discussion - Page 4 1505004552 Leave the drafting to the GMs
Back to top Go down
PhantomJB93

PhantomJB93

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 23, 2015 7:20 pm

Watching Kiper and McShay's mock draft. They have the Steelers picking CB Byron Jones at 22. Which is alright, except Vic Beasley, Shane Ray, Marcus Peters, Kevin Johnson are ALL still on the board.
Back to top Go down
steelstoned1972

steelstoned1972

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 23, 2015 7:51 pm

PhantomJB93 wrote:
Watching Kiper and McShay's mock draft.  They have the Steelers picking CB Byron Jones at 22.  Which is alright, except Vic Beasley, Shane Ray, Marcus Peters, Kevin Johnson are ALL still on the board.

They smoking crack they found under Kiper's Big hair !
I'd rather have any of those guys over Jones , unless Ray's Toe is worse than anyone knows.

Back to top Go down
PhantomJB93

PhantomJB93

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 23, 2015 8:18 pm

steelstoned1972 wrote:
PhantomJB93 wrote:
Watching Kiper and McShay's mock draft.  They have the Steelers picking CB Byron Jones at 22.  Which is alright, except Vic Beasley, Shane Ray, Marcus Peters, Kevin Johnson are ALL still on the board.

They smoking crack they found under Kiper's Big hair !
I'd rather have any of those guys over Jones , unless Ray's Toe is worse than anyone knows.

Definitely. They didn't even have Beasley going in the first round. Ray fell all the way to the Colts at 29.
Back to top Go down
teegre

teegre

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 23, 2015 11:28 pm

PhantomJB93 wrote:

Todd, Todd, Todd, Todd, Todd...
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 24, 2015 8:35 am

teegre wrote:

Not my mock. It was an article I posted from Frank Cooney at NFLDraftScout.com. Just thought people would be interested in reading it.

Trust me, I'm no draft expert in any way, shape, or form. 2015 Draft Discussion - Page 4 1797695198

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

2015 Draft Discussion
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next