Steelers Xtreme Forum

Home Ray Fittipaldo's Steelers chat transcript: 4.13.15 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Ray Fittipaldo's Steelers chat transcript: 4.13.15

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Galax Steeler

Galax Steeler

Ray Fittipaldo's Steelers chat transcript: 4.13.15 Empty
PostSubject: Ray Fittipaldo's Steelers chat transcript: 4.13.15    Ray Fittipaldo's Steelers chat transcript: 4.13.15 EmptyTue Apr 14, 2015 4:54 am

Poll Question: In the past 20 years, who is the best sixth-round draft choice by the Steelers not named Antonio Brown?

Answer #1: Orpeheus Roye (0%) Answer #2: Chris Fuamatu Ma'afala (0%) Answer #3: Chris Kemoeatu (86%) Answer #4: Vince Williams (14%)

Guest: Favorite Polamalu play, game, quote/interaction?

Ray Fittipaldo: For me, it's the 2008 AFC championship game and the INT return that sealed the game. The Steelers might not make the Super Bowl if Joe Flacco completes that pass. People forget the Steelers only led by two at that point. But there are so many others such as the strip sack of Flacco in 2010 that helped the Steelers win in Baltimore, another game the Steelers needed to secure the division and subsequent home-field advantage for the playoffs (after the Patriots* lost to the Jets). I also remember Polamalu having his way with his college roommate, Carson Palmer, early in his career. Two of his three pick 6 came against Palmer. The diving, one-handed INT vs. the Chargers. Those are just a few. There are so many more.

steelmann58: Ray can we guess that the Steelers will look for a Slot Receiver and 3rd down back later in the draft?

Ray Fittipaldo: I definitely think they will address WR in the draft and I think a shifty slot WR to complement and compete with Markus Wheaton is a good direction to go. As for RB, I think they could later in the draft, but now that they have DeAngelo Williams I don't think they have to draft one. If they do, it tells me they really don't like Josh Harris very much because there is no way he makes the team with Bell, Williams and a new draft pick on board.

steelmann58: HI Ray been away but I like to know what positions do you see the steelers targeting in the First 3 Rounds. Will they Double down on a position in the first 3 rounds.

Ray Fittipaldo: Here is my guess: CB/OLB/CB or CB/OLB/TE. I can see CB and OLB interchangeable in Rounds 1 and 2 depending on who's available.

Eddie: Hey Ray, I was reading a draft scouting report on Shazier, it said that he would need a good NT to eat some of the linemen so he doesn't get caught up in the traffic. Do you think the NT we have on roster could do that?

Ray Fittipaldo: I think Steve McLendon is a good nose tackle. He's not Casey Hampton but few are. Between McLendon and McCullers I think the Steelers can get by for another season. McLendon's contract, by the way, expires after the season.

steelmann58: Ray Do you think the will have James play the on the Opposite side of the Defense so JJ can play his natural spot.

Ray Fittipaldo: We'll have to wait and see how they line up at OTAs and minicamp, but my guess right now is they'll start with Arthur Moats on the left with Jarvis and James on the right. But we'll find out exactly what they are thinking in another month or so

Michael: Although it seems clear the Steelers weren't interested in Troy returning for another year, I found it odd that the Will Allen signing occurred immediately after the announcement of Troy's retirement. Is there any chance the Steelers actually were considering bringing Troy back as a back-up if he forced their hand?

Ray Fittipaldo: I see your point. They signed one 33-year old safety after another 33-year old safety retired the previous day. But they could not have kept Polamalu because of his salary. They're getting Will Allen for the veteran's minimum or thereabouts.

Steve: Ray, is this a make or break year for Tomlin? It wuold be 5 years with no playoff wins..long time in era of "parity" ..this year looks bleak with defensive issues. Thoughts?

Ray Fittipaldo: I don't get that idea at all. Might have been a different story had they not made the playoffs last season, but they won the division and hosted a playoff game. As for the defense, yes there are a lot of questions about this unit. If the Steelers are going to make the playoffs Ben Roethlisberger and the offense must lead the way in my opinion.

Steve: Wuold you rank Troy in the top 5 all -time Steeler defensive players...he may be in top 5 all-time safetys in my opinion. 1st ballot HOFer for sure.

Ray Fittipaldo: When it comes to safeties you have to be careful when you say he's a "first-ballot Hall of Famer" The writers who vote the players in haven't put a true safety in the HOF for 17 years. I wrote about this on Friday in the blog. You can read it here: http://sportsblogs.post-gaz....
As for where I would rank him it's so hard for me to compare eras. But Joe Greene, Jack Lambert, Jack Ham, Mel Blount account for four right away and then you have Rod Woodson from the 1980s. They're all in the HOF. It's a tough list to crack if you play for the Steelers, but he's certainly in the conversation.

Steel City Joey: It sounds like the buzz is increasing on Kevin Johnson. I even read that a few teams have him ranked as the #1 corner on their boards, while I had previously thought he was a early second round talent. Have you heard any of that buzz?

Ray Fittipaldo: Yeah it seems like Kevin Johnson is the No. 2 consensus CB in the draft after Trae Waynes. I think he is ahead of Marcus Peters because Peters has some concerns about his character. But I talked to Rob Rang, a draft analyst for CBS, last week and he told me Peters is the guy the Steelers should take if they are convinced his off-field issues are not a red flag. Here is the blog I did with some good quotes from Rang on Peters http://sportsblogs.post-gaz...

Steve: Interesting how Ernie Stautner never cracks Top 5 Steeler Defensive player rankings if you ask writes like yourself to rank players.e.g I asked Jerry Micco as well. Underated?

Ray Fittipaldo: You know that's my fault. He's another Hall of Famer. I'm only 42 and obviously never saw Stautner play.

Vic: Any chance we get shane ray?

Ray Fittipaldo: I think he'll be gone. He is being projected as a top 10 or 15 pick.

Steve: Best Defensive line foursome in NFL history (only original versions)..Fearsome Foursome, Purple People Eaters or Steel Curtain?

Ray Fittipaldo: I think the Steel Curtain, but those are others have an argument. I saw an NFL Network special the other day on the Fearsome Foursome. They have two Hall of Famers -- Deacon Jones and Merlin Olson -- and the Steelers only have one. The Purple People Eaters were great, too. I guess with everything I tend to look at playoff success and Super Bowls and the Steel Curtain has it over the other two and it's not close, so that's my two cents.

Steve: ray, 2008 Steeler D vs. 1974 Steeler D which do you prefer?

Ray Fittipaldo: I was 9 months old when the Steelers won Super Bowl IX so I can't say that I remember that defense. I've seen plenty of NFL Films videos on that team and read a lot about them too though. I don't have the numbers off the top of my head, but I think they 2008 team had better stats (points against and yards allowed) and that was during an era that favored passing teams. It's close, real close, but I guess I'd go with the 1974 team.

Zack B: I see OLB as a bigger need. Moats is ok. Harrison is old, Jarvis...who knows. Ideally I would draft Dupree in 1, PJ Williams in two. Thoughts?

Ray Fittipaldo: PJ Williams just got caught for a DUI a week or so ago. He might be there in Round 2 now. This is a deep draft for OLBs. I think you can still get a good one in Round 2. It's also a good draft for CBs at the top of the draft but it's not as deep as OLB in the later rounds.

Steve: Steel Curtain didn't win 4 with original line-up, but your point of Super Bowl success vs. HOFers is well taken!

Ray Fittipaldo: I know. I should have mentioned that. Steve Furness was a big part of all four Super Bowls. And people forget John Banaszak actually supplanted Dwight White by SB XIII and XIV.

Jackson: I personally don't see the Steelers taking a player from Wake Forest in the first round. They seem to like power conference guys from flagship schools, especially in the first. Is this just a coincidence?

Ray Fittipaldo: It's been that way recently. But Wake is in the ACC and faced some pretty good competition. You can't discredit a player because he plays for a school that's not a football powerhouse. If he competed well in a major conference and has the measurables then I don't think it's a big deal.

Aron: If Randy Gregory and Marcus Peters falls to us at 22, in your opinion who should we take?

Ray Fittipaldo: If they're both there at No. 22 I'm taking Peters over Gregory. I'm not an expert on drug use and I know a lot of the prospects have had issues with drugs in the past, but I was shocked that Gregory admitted quitting marijuana was a problem for him in the past. So I'm going with Peters with the thought that Tomlin and Lake are strong enough to handle him.

mike: Hi Ray, enjoy the chats. Do you think the Steelers should use every pick they have on defense? The O in my opinion is set for now.

Ray Fittipaldo: No. You need another WR. You need a TE. And you could use G and an RB. So I wouldn't mind five defense and four offense as long as the CB and OLB needs are addressed early.

Ryan: The Steelers are going to take Malcolm Brown in the first round if he's there, right?

Ray Fittipaldo: You have to be a dominant player to get drafted in the first round as a nose tackle. Danny Shelton might fit that bill. Not so sure Brown does and the Steelers have bigger needs at CB and OLB.

Stan: Do dinners with college prospects at pro days count against the visit limit?

Ray Fittipaldo: I'm not sure about this, but I don't think it does.

Aron: Im a big Fan of the TE from Miami, Clive Walford. Your opinion?

Ray Fittipaldo: He is the No. 2 TE according to most draft analysts. I've to talked to a few analysts and they said there is only one TE in the draft who is an accomplished blocker and receiver, and that's Maxx Williams of Minnesota. Walford could come off the board late in the second or in the third round, but he's not really close to Williams.

TSgt Fisher: Hi Ray, How can the league office look at fans with a straight face and say that Bell's infraction warranted more of suspension than Ray Rice's? The punishment dealt out by the league is a joke and not equitable.

Ray Fittipaldo: I agree with you, but you have to stop putting blame on Roger Goodell and the league office. He has been doing this for years. The blame has to go to the NFLPA and the players for allowing the league to handle discipline in the way it has. They had a chance to put an end to it with the last CBA. They could have held out longer or struck. They decided other things were more important.

Rob: Regarding Malcolm Brown -- he was dominant against the run.

Ray Fittipaldo: I understand that, but nose tackles that are only dominant against the run plays about 35-40 percent of the snaps in a game. You have to be able to rush the passer and play 60-70 percent of the snaps in a game to warrant a first-round pick these days. I think Danny Shelton is a guy who can be dominant in all phases in the NFL. That's why he's projected as a top 15 pick.

Brett: Ray you mentioned 9 picks. I thought we had 1 in each round plus 6th round compensatory pick, making 8 total picks. Am I wrong?

Ray Fittipaldo: My bad. 5 defensive players and three offensive players.

Ray Fittipaldo: Thanks for taking part in the chat this week. We'll do it again next week at the same time.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/04/13/Ray-Fittipaldo-s-Steelers-chat-transcript-7/stories/201504130140

Ray Fittipaldo's Steelers chat transcript: 4.13.15
Page 1 of 1