Steelers Xtreme Forum

Home Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript: 4.14.15 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript: 4.14.15

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Galax Steeler

Galax Steeler

Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript: 4.14.15 Empty
PostSubject: Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript: 4.14.15    Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript: 4.14.15 EmptyWed Apr 15, 2015 4:36 am

Ed Bouchette: Good afternoon, let's begin

Ctsteeler1: Any chance they draft Randy Gregory if he falls or are they staying away from the potheads after Blount & Bell?

Ed Bouchette: Well, they drafted Marvel Smith and Mike Adams. I think they are investigating Gregory a little more.

Alex: What would you personally say the Steelers biggest draft need is? Also what are your thoughts on Ike's retirement?

Ed Bouchette: I think it's a tossup between cornerback and outside linebacker.
Ike was a good fourth-round draft pick who played well and if he could have hung on to a few more passes, would have made some Pro Bowls. But he did hang onto a big one in Super XL

dave: Do you think they'll draft a QB in the later rounds to replace Landry Jones?

Ed Bouchette: No

Matt: How many years does Heath have left on his contract? How long do you seem in the black and gold?

Ed Bouchette: Heath Miller is signed through 2016 and I can see him playing that long

Touchdown Joey: Why does the NFL feel the need to have a policy against marijuana (actual laws notwithstanding)? It's not a performance enhancing drug.

Ed Bouchette: It's illegal but that no longer explains Denver. It's outdated. Alcohol far more dangerous.

Greg: Do you see the steelers honoring all the recent retirees in 1 session, or would they do something with #43 alone to honor his legacy?

Ed Bouchette: No, I do not see them honoring them.

Jerry In KC: So with the retirement of Troy, when does the contracts get done for Beachum and Heyward?

Ed Bouchette: Sometime before the 2015 season begins.

Greg: Do you see L. Bell appealing the 3 games, and if so, what are his chances of having it reduced?

Ed Bouchette: He has appealed and it would not surprise me if they cut it to two. Then again, it would not surprise me if they let it stand at 3.

Guest: With Ike and Troy retiring how much cap space to the Steelers now have?

Ed Bouchette: Ike's contract was up so it did not make a difference. I'm not sure they have done anything official with Polamalu so we have to find out if they want to do it before May 12 or after, which will either save them $6 million in room this year with another $2.25 million next year or $3.75 million this year and nothing next year.

Chris: what do you think ed..OLB or cb first round? I go with OLB Baltimore shows that with a great pass rush it can mask secondary!!

Ed Bouchette: If you do not get an OLB on the first round, you're not going to get a blue-chipper. You can get good corners later than the first.

Renegade: I see reported that Marcus Peters was in town for a visit. Other than in person assessments by visual and Q&A observations, what other measures can teams apply to prospects to gain "data"?

Ed Bouchette: They cannot work them out during their visits. They mostly want to talk to them or, if they have a medical issue, take a look at how it's coming along.

Guest: Would the Steelers draft Landon Collins if available at 22? Wouldn't that show they don't believe in Thomas?

Ed Bouchette: I could see them doing so if his value is so much greater than anyone else they have on their board at No. 22. If they draft him, it would say they believe in getting good football players.

ashaver: Although the Steelers traditionally haven't retired jersey numbers, only 70-Stautner and recently 75-Greene, do you foresee the team not re-issuing 43, much like they have done so with 36 and 86?

Ed Bouchette: I cannot see them issuing No. 43 soon, but they may be forced to, as they were with Mel Blount's No. 47, also worn by Steve Morse, Cameron Riley, Bruce Jones, Scott Shields and, most recently, Ron Stanley in 2006.
Ugh. they only waited one year before the gave Blount's no. to Morse.

Andrew: With recent Hall of Fame talk and debate regarding Polamalu, how close was Donnie Shell in making the final cut in 2002? Is the safety position the most under-rated spot in all of football?

Ed Bouchette: Without looking it up, I think Donnie Shell did not make it past the final 15 to the final 10 the day we voted on the finalists.

Sam: Good Afternoon Ed, How soon until Ike Taylor is an assistant Steeler coach?

Ed Bouchette: Not soon. They do not like to have players with ties to their former teammates on the staff. Joey Porter was an exception.

Ed Bouchette: I am going to put Jack Butler No. 3, since he's in the Hall of Fame.
Dwayne Washington, Chad Scott and Dwayne Woodruff also were good corners.

Thad: Ed, shouldn't they have tried to trade Troy before pushing him to retire? I mean he could have netted a 3rd rounder easily

Ed Bouchette: His time was up. No one would have traded for him.

Willowsford: Ed, where do you rank Ike on the all time Steelers CB list? I say #3 behind Blount and Woodson

Ed Bouchette: Sorry, that question never made it for this previous answer:

Ed Bouchette: I am going to put Jack Butler No. 3, since he's in the Hall of Fame.
Dwayne Washington, Chad Scott and Dwayne Woodruff also were good corners.

Andrew: The NFL had a very bad PR image problem last season. Any rumblings on what/if they have plan to change that this season?

Ed Bouchette: Yeah, they're going to give the next player who knocks his girlfriend unconscious in an elevator more than a two-game suspension.

Paulie: Brad Wing wasn't amazing but I think he was an adequate NFL punter. Are the Steelers just bringing in competition to push him or do you think someone other than Wing will be our punter this year?

Ed Bouchette: The Steelers almost always bring two punters to camp. It doesn't necessarily mean they are bringing in competition; they need two legs.

Steve: How would you rank Ike Taylor as far as Steelers Top CBs ever? I say in Top 5 after Blount & Woodsen .....

Ed Bouchette: Again, are you counting only those since the 1970s or can Hall of Famer Jack Butler make that list?

Paul: I still think it was a bad move not resigning McCain, he was a relatively inexpensive insurance policy and probably would have played more than a projected rookie.

Ed Bouchette: OK, thanks.

Alex: Do you think Shamarko Thomas can adequately fill Troy's role? Or would you say they should look elsewhere?

Ed Bouchette: That is entirely up to Shamarko Thomas. If not, Will Allen or someone else will play there.

Scott from Erie: Should we be reading anything into the fact that the Steelers signed Will Allen almost immediately after Polamalu's retirement announcement? Makes me wonder if they were still considering Troy as veteran depth...

Ed Bouchette: I think that was just coincidence. They've known for awhile that Polamalu would not be playing for them in 2015.

Gordo in Savannah: Has a Steelers cornerback draftee ever started for the team in his first year?

Ed Bouchette: Rod Woodson did not start his first year after holding out half of the 1987 season. Deon figures started four games in 1993. Chad Scott started nine games in 1997.

Guest: Any chance the Steelers will/should bring back Keisel, or is he heading to the Titans after the draft?

Ed Bouchette: He won't be back here. They cut him! The Titans may have some interest, probably look at him after the draft.

Steve: With the last of the 2008 Steelers remaining, how do you rank that D vs. the 1974 or 1976 D? They may have been the best ever, correct?

Ed Bouchette: No, those defenses in the 1970s were far better.

Guest: Do you see steelers drafting OL or WR in round one if that's the best player on their board, or do they take a tier two CB or pass rusher?

Ed Bouchette: No, I think they draft the best defensive player available.

Adam: Ed, is there a 'plan' in place for Dri Archer? Is he still being considered as an option in the backfield at all?

Ed Bouchette: Again, that will be up to Dri Archer. He did not do much in 2014 to tell us there should be much of a plan.

Miller: Top two cornerbacks in Steelers history are easy with Woodson and Blount. Who is your number three?

Ed Bouchette: Jack Butler. All three in the HOF. No others going to get there.

steelmann58: ED 5 Te already visited wow guess they are going to add one in the Draft,and 3 punters in camp Wing must be the man.

Ed Bouchette: I don't think they will bring 3 punters to camp. You'll probably see them weed one of the others out before then.

Francis: Hello Ed! What are your thoughts about a position for Jarvis, at least to get something out of the first round investment

Ed Bouchette: Starting right outside linebacker.

Fred X: In the early offseason there was talk about an RB like Yeldon or Langford in round 3. I haven't heard anything in months, though. Does the DeAngelo Williams signing take RB off the draft board or just lower the urgency?

Ed Bouchette: I would be very surprised if they drafted a running back in the third round. But then, they surprised me when they drafted Dri Archer in the third round.

steelmann58: ED where is the defensive leadership going to come from with all the Veteran played not around.

Ed Bouchette: Start with Cam Heyward and Lawrence Timmons and go from there. I think Mike Mitchell can be a leader. William Gay. Some other young guys like Stephon Tuitt.

James Hall: What do you think about bud dupree at pick #22?

Ed Bouchette: I think he is possible.

Guest: Do you think Zone Blocking and cutblocks are part of the reason Big NTs like Hampton are used less frequently??

Ed Bouchette: That and the evolution of the multiple receivers on offense that prompt teams to go with more defensive backs and pull a lineman off the field. In those 4-wide sets, they want a quicker DL than a real hole-clogger.

Guest: When does the schedule get released? Some reports say next Thursday, how do they not have a definitive date for something like that? The NFL loves attention.

Ed Bouchette: The NFL also loves a little mystery.

Tempe AZ: Ed, with Ike's retirement, how does the secondary lineup look as of now?

Ed Bouchette: Not very good.

Steve: If the Steelers falter with their defense this year and fail to either win a playoff game or make the playoffs this year it will be 5 years w/o a playoff win. Would this make 2016 a make or break year for Tomlin?

Ed Bouchette: no

Rene: Last year nobody guessed that the Steelers would go ILB in the first round. This year which position could the Steelers surprise us with in the first?

Ed Bouchette: I don't think we will see any surprises this year.

CK: Both Troy and Ike sounded like class acts off the field...any fond memories of them when the cameras were not around?

Ed Bouchette: Yes, for both, but not enough time here.

Bob: On what round of the draft do you see the Steelers picking a running back. Depth is needed.

Ed Bouchette: Sometime Saturday, 5, 6 or 7

Ed Bouchette: Thanks for another great chat. See you next Tuesday.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/04/14/Ed-Bouchette-s-Steelers-chat-transcript-4-14-15/stories/201504140176

Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript: 4.14.15
Page 1 of 1