Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeDark Horse pick for the 1st round. Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Dark Horse pick for the 1st round.

Go down 
+2
PhantomJB93
Klewfish
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Klewfish
Xtreme Newb

Dark Horse pick for the 1st round. Empty
PostSubject: Dark Horse pick for the 1st round.   Dark Horse pick for the 1st round. EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 9:03 pm

The Shazier pick came out of left field last year. CB/OLB are the obvious need and choice for our first round pick, but if you had to pick a dark horse candidate that maybe hasn't been mocked anywhere to the Steelers, who would it be?

Mine would be Malcom Brown (NT, Texas). NT isn't an immediate need, but Steelers could definitely use some depth with McLendon always seemingly injured (and a FA after next season), and McCullers largely unproven. If he was available at 22, Brown could be the best player available, and Steelers might not hesitate to take him despite more pressing needs.

I actually really like him as a prospect, and a locker room presence. I'd rather we addressed CB or OLB but wouldn't be upset if he was the pick.
Back to top Go down
PhantomJB93

PhantomJB93

PostSubject: Re: Dark Horse pick for the 1st round.   Dark Horse pick for the 1st round. EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 10:55 pm

I'd probably say an offensive lineman like La'El Collins. Obviously not much of a need right now but if they don't like any of the defensive players on the board I feel like they'll get a replacement for Ramon Foster.

Their interviews this year, if they're any indication, make it seem like they're gunning for need more than usual though. Usually they're pretty evenly spread out but they've looked at significantly more CBs and OLBs than any other position.
Back to top Go down
steelstoned1972

steelstoned1972

PostSubject: Re: Dark Horse pick for the 1st round.   Dark Horse pick for the 1st round. EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 6:07 am

Klewfish wrote:
The Shazier pick came out of left field last year. CB/OLB are the obvious need and choice for our first round pick, but if you had to pick a dark horse candidate that maybe hasn't been mocked anywhere to the Steelers, who would it be?

Mine would be Malcom Brown (NT, Texas). NT isn't an immediate need, but Steelers could definitely use some depth with McLendon always seemingly injured (and a FA after next season), and McCullers largely unproven. If he was available at 22, Brown could be the best player available, and Steelers might not hesitate to take him despite more pressing needs.

I actually really like him as a prospect, and a locker room presence. I'd rather we addressed CB or OLB but wouldn't be upset if he was the pick.

I agree.

I'd even shit egg rolls if Shelton was available and was the pick !

Steelstoned @Steelcrazycraig1972
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Dark Horse pick for the 1st round.   Dark Horse pick for the 1st round. EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 1:31 pm

Great thread Klewfish! I was just speaking to a buddy about how the Steelers, maybe more than any other team, go BPA in the draft. Therefore, we can't guarantee a CB or OLB in the 1st.

Phantom is hitting on something with the Collins pick, although you should be able to get Laken Tomlinson in the 2nd. But regardless, Foster is the one guy on that o-line that doesn't quite fit what Munch is looking for: athletic lineman who have the feet to pull and get into space. Getting another agile guard could prove a great move that can lift the o-line into a top spot in the league.

I'm tempted to say Eddie Goldman, DE Florida State (although he shouldn't be there at 22). The Steelers have done a great job rotating their DE through the course of games. You need at least 3 guys who are close to starter material. But the problem is, you don't draft a 1st rounder for a backup position. Dark Horse pick for the 1st round. 189621326
Back to top Go down
steelstoned1972

steelstoned1972

PostSubject: Re: Dark Horse pick for the 1st round.   Dark Horse pick for the 1st round. EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 1:49 pm

I I don't know if it can be considered a dark horse pick, but I wouldn't be surprised if they pull the trigger on Peters if available.

I'm of the thinking that Tomlin and Lake can get this kids had on straight.

If they can he's the top corner in this draft.

That being said it's a risk and I can't honestly say if i would make the selection.

Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Dark Horse pick for the 1st round.   Dark Horse pick for the 1st round. EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 2:22 pm

steelstoned1972 wrote:
I I don't know if it can be considered a dark horse pick, but I wouldn't be surprised if they pull the trigger on Peters if available.

That being said it's a risk and I can't honestly say if i would make the selection.

I was listening to Steelers Nation Radio this weekend and they had a reporter (sorry, I was working around the house so I wasn't paying attention to who was speaking) who said that several Steelers coaches and staff were at the Washington Pro-Day. The reporter pointed out that Peters was allowed to participate in the Pro-Day even though the coaches certainly had the right to not invite him back. Whatever Peters did, he didn't totally burn his bridges with his college coaching staff and those coaches are still showing some type of support. Between what they did at his Pro-Day, the combine and bringing the kid to Pittsburgh, the Steelers have thoroughly examined this kid.

Dark Horse pick for the 1st round. $%28KGrHqRHJCYE-eBNU-0IBPtm6mifFQ~~60_35
Back to top Go down
steelstoned1972

steelstoned1972

PostSubject: Re: Dark Horse pick for the 1st round.   Dark Horse pick for the 1st round. EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 2:34 pm

kirklandrules wrote:
steelstoned1972 wrote:

I was listening to Steelers Nation Radio this weekend and they had a reporter (sorry, I was working around the house so I wasn't paying attention to who was speaking) who said that several Steelers coaches and staff were at the Washington Pro-Day. The reporter pointed out that Peters was allowed to participate in the Pro-Day even though the coaches certainly had the right to not invite him back. Whatever Peters did, he didn't totally burn his bridges with his college coaching staff and those coaches are still showing some type of support. Between what they did at his Pro-Day, the combine and bringing the kid to Pittsburgh, the Steelers have thoroughly examined this kid.

Would you take the risk ?

I'd have a hard time but I would pull trigger if he's bpa.

Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Dark Horse pick for the 1st round.   Dark Horse pick for the 1st round. EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 4:44 pm

steelstoned1972 wrote:
kirklandrules wrote:
steelstoned1972 wrote:

I'd have to have been involved in the various discussions with Peters and his college coaches to know if I'd take the risk. Just don't have any context into his issues. Hate to sound like a homer, but if the Steelers take him, I'll assume they believe the risk is either minimal or worth it. Talent wise, he's awesome.
Back to top Go down
steelstoned1972

steelstoned1972

PostSubject: Re: Dark Horse pick for the 1st round.   Dark Horse pick for the 1st round. EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 4:50 pm

kirklandrules wrote:
steelstoned1972 wrote:
kirklandrules wrote:
steelstoned1972 wrote:

I'd have to have been involved in the various discussions with Peters and his college coaches to know if I'd take the risk. Just don't have any context into his issues. Hate to sound like a homer, but if the Steelers take him, I'll assume they believe the risk is either minimal or worth it. Talent wise, he's awesome.

That's what I assume as well. If they feel they can handle him, Just do it !

Back to top Go down
KeepHarrisonTilHes92

KeepHarrisonTilHes92

PostSubject: Re: Dark Horse pick for the 1st round.   Dark Horse pick for the 1st round. EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 8:12 pm

steelstoned1972 wrote:
kirklandrules wrote:
steelstoned1972 wrote:
kirklandrules wrote:
steelstoned1972 wrote:

That's what I assume as well. If they feel they can handle him, Just do it !

Not taking coaching very well suggests to me either passion or pride. If its passion, good. If its pride. Well... He's had enough negative publicity that I find it highly unlikely he hasnt examined his issues. He was and is a kid but hes seem to humble himself on the issues, apologize, and even get in good graces to some degree with his school. This doesn't sound like the expected results from "he choked out a guy," so that leads me to the assumption that he just doesnt take coaching very well, for pride or passion, both can be amended I think.

I'm usually more wary of the drug issues than abrasive personalities. I like weed. Idk if I could be a millionaire and not smoke it, knowing that I'm rich and that its harmless. Lol. Thats the honeypot that makes kids like Gordon get suspended constantly and suspensions = NO USE of the player. Character issues can be handled in-house, playing time is still there, and hes a good enough talent to be traded to the ratbirds or the Cheatriots, hes worth the shot if hes there, hes BPA, and we're gonna double dip and and draft another later round CB. Check marks on those three conditions? Draft him. The upside seems better than the 'media jumped the gun, what really happened?' Downside. However, Steelers FO doesnt take risks like that, save for maybe Mike Adams, often. So I dont expect it.
Back to top Go down
lipps83
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Dark Horse pick for the 1st round.   Dark Horse pick for the 1st round. EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 12:23 pm

There are so many things that need to be taken into context when looking at someone with supposed character issues like Peters. Tyrann Mathieu dropped all the way to the 3rd round due to issues and he hasn't decimated the Cardinals yet, and supposedly his issues were far more frequent than Peters. He actually decided to take a look at himself, can Peters do the same? I don't know.

I would say take him if he is available. Put good people around him, he may not have had that where he was. It is a risk, but I am optimistic of everyone if you surround them with good people and a good setting.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dark Horse pick for the 1st round.   Dark Horse pick for the 1st round. Empty

Back to top Go down

Dark Horse pick for the 1st round.
Page 1 of 1