Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeWith The 239th Overall Pick The Steelers Select Gerod Holliman Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

With The 239th Overall Pick The Steelers Select Gerod Holliman

Go down 
+20
kirklandrules
pczach
Klewfish
effyou515
Fire Arians
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu
tony hipchest
Buddha Bus
dave n'at
kan_t
Rick5895
PhantomJB93
BKAnthem
steelstoned1972
BlackAndGold
Hawaii 5-0
SteelersCanada
fer69
Vis
ImperialFan
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ImperialFan

ImperialFan

With The 239th Overall Pick The Steelers Select Gerod Holliman Empty
PostSubject: With The 239th Overall Pick The Steelers Select Gerod Holliman   With The 239th Overall Pick The Steelers Select Gerod Holliman EmptySat May 02, 2015 5:56 pm

yes a safety!

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/gerod-holliman?id=2552442

Heres more bold prediction. This guy makes the team! WOW! what a steal!

Last edited by ImperialFan on Sat May 02, 2015 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Vis

Vis

PostSubject: Re: With The 239th Overall Pick The Steelers Select Gerod Holliman   With The 239th Overall Pick The Steelers Select Gerod Holliman EmptySat May 02, 2015 5:57 pm

And the first cut

fer69

PostSubject: Re: With The 239th Overall Pick The Steelers Select Gerod Holliman   With The 239th Overall Pick The Steelers Select Gerod Holliman EmptySat May 02, 2015 6:05 pm

Why you have to be so cruel vis With The 239th Overall Pick The Steelers Select Gerod Holliman 1797695198

F@(k Wallace.. Throw it to Miller
Back to top Go down
Vis

Vis

PostSubject: Re: With The 239th Overall Pick The Steelers Select Gerod Holliman   With The 239th Overall Pick The Steelers Select Gerod Holliman EmptySat May 02, 2015 6:14 pm

"Low football character" "absolutely terrible tape" I think the free agents will have better chances to stick

ImperialFan

PostSubject: Re: With The 239th Overall Pick The Steelers Select Gerod Holliman   With The 239th Overall Pick The Steelers Select Gerod Holliman EmptySat May 02, 2015 6:17 pm

He can't tackle worth a shit but if you wanna talk about a ball hawk! We might as well let this guy play corner hes 6'0 and has amazing ball skills. If you watch the you tube tape you'll see it kind of looks like hes trying to be troy P when he goes to tackle as he kind of just launches his self at people and doesnt really tackle them, it doesn't always work out too well for him. If he can fix those things he could really be considered a steal for going 239th overall! I think he has the ability to make the team this year and if he can develop better tackling skills he might actually play this year and be a starter in a couple years.

SteelersCanada

PostSubject: Re: With The 239th Overall Pick The Steelers Select Gerod Holliman   With The 239th Overall Pick The Steelers Select Gerod Holliman EmptySat May 02, 2015 6:18 pm

Vis wrote:
"Low football character"  "absolutely terrible tape"    I think the free agents will have better chances to stick

You can coach tackling. You can light a fire under someone to force effort. You can't coach 14 interceptions.

He took plays off at Louisville - absolutely. He also brings with him the best natural ability to create turnovers of any DB in the draft.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: With The 239th Overall Pick The Steelers Select Gerod Holliman   With The 239th Overall Pick The Steelers Select Gerod Holliman EmptySat May 02, 2015 6:23 pm

SteelersCanada wrote:

You can coach tackling. You can light a fire under someone to force effort. You can't coach 14 interceptions.

He took plays off at Louisville - absolutely. He also brings with him the best natural ability to create turnovers of any DB in the draft.

he'll be used in sub-packages in Cover 2 or Cover 3 where he is a centerfielder...
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: With The 239th Overall Pick The Steelers Select Gerod Holliman   With The 239th Overall Pick The Steelers Select Gerod Holliman EmptySat May 02, 2015 6:28 pm

He's a first year starter who picked off 14 ints and who's about to turn 21 years old in 4 days. Tons of upside with Holliman.

SteelersCanada

PostSubject: Re: With The 239th Overall Pick The Steelers Select Gerod Holliman   With The 239th Overall Pick The Steelers Select Gerod Holliman EmptySat May 02, 2015 6:31 pm

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
SteelersCanada wrote:

he'll be used in sub-packages in Cover 2 or Cover 3 where he is a centerfielder...

Which is exactly where he should be used. Don't put this kid in the box and force him to play against the run. He isn't Ryan Clark and he's not Troy Polamalu. There is another type of safety in the league.

His absolute highest-ceiling would be McCourty on the Patriots*. Now, the chances of him hitting that ceiling are low, but he brings with him that ability to create turnovers.
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: With The 239th Overall Pick The Steelers Select Gerod Holliman   With The 239th Overall Pick The Steelers Select Gerod Holliman EmptySat May 02, 2015 6:32 pm

SteelersCanada wrote:
Vis wrote:
"Low football character"  "absolutely terrible tape"    I think the free agents will have better chances to stick

Being projected as a day two pick and falling to round 7 could light a fire under Holliman

steelstoned1972

PostSubject: Re: With The 239th Overall Pick The Steelers Select Gerod Holliman   With The 239th Overall Pick The Steelers Select Gerod Holliman EmptySat May 02, 2015 6:33 pm

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
SteelersCanada wrote:

I don't mind that if he earns it.

Steelstoned @Steelcrazycraig1972
Back to top Go down
Vis

Vis

PostSubject: Re: With The 239th Overall Pick The Steelers Select Gerod Holliman   With The 239th Overall Pick The Steelers Select Gerod Holliman EmptySat May 02, 2015 6:34 pm

we will see. So much of making it in the pros is "want to" If he doesn't have that, let someone who does have the spot.

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: With The 239th Overall Pick The Steelers Select Gerod Holliman   With The 239th Overall Pick The Steelers Select Gerod Holliman EmptySat May 02, 2015 8:39 pm

7(239) Pittsburgh Steelers: Gerod Holliman, QB, Louisville: A- Grade

Some had Gerod Holliman in the third round, but we were hearing that he was going to drop. I didn't expect him to fall this far, however, and the Steelers ended up getting a potential steal. Holliman's poor measurables really sunk his draft stock, but he could end up sticking for the Steelers, who needed to find another safety.

http://www.walterfootball.com/nfldraftgrades7.php#BHz2PTMZOJuif0lj.99
Back to top Go down
BKAnthem

PostSubject: Re: With The 239th Overall Pick The Steelers Select Gerod Holliman   With The 239th Overall Pick The Steelers Select Gerod Holliman EmptySun May 03, 2015 3:03 pm

BlackAndGold wrote:

Being projected as a day two pick and falling to round 7 could light a fire under Holliman

Or speak volumes about Colberts judge of talent when it comes to picking DB's, this guy probably wouldn't have even been drafted if it wasn't for Colbert
Back to top Go down
PhantomJB93

PhantomJB93

PostSubject: Re: With The 239th Overall Pick The Steelers Select Gerod Holliman   With The 239th Overall Pick The Steelers Select Gerod Holliman EmptySun May 03, 2015 4:12 pm

I love this pick. I wanted him in the sixth so I was thrilled he was still there in the seventh. Don't really care about his tackling/physicality right now, that can be coached up. What you can't coach, or do by accident/fluke, is 14 interceptions. That is elite ballhawking. If Holliman can be taught to tackle correctly he is instantly a first round-caliber free safety, which is exactly what we're missing.
Back to top Go down
Rick5895
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: With The 239th Overall Pick The Steelers Select Gerod Holliman   With The 239th Overall Pick The Steelers Select Gerod Holliman EmptyMon May 04, 2015 9:52 am

I believe this kid will be an absolute steal of the draft. Before any of you folks condemn this guy, let's see what he brings with him. He won the Thorpe award as the nations best DB He's always around the ball, makes pics, and although he isn't a great tackler (that can and will be taught) he appears to like to stick his nose in there, so his ability to tackle is a lack technique not a lack of desire.
Folks have been complaining abut the lack of attention to the secondary the Steelers have just picked up 3 solid players who accounted for 29 pics last season in college ball, and in some stiff competition (ACC, SEC, BIG 10) This has been a great draft, IMO!!
Back to top Go down
kan_t

PostSubject: Re: With The 239th Overall Pick The Steelers Select Gerod Holliman   With The 239th Overall Pick The Steelers Select Gerod Holliman EmptyMon May 04, 2015 11:13 am

I love this pick. Keep in mind that he's very young with little starting time in college (will turn 21 this month). Most of his shortcoming may be due to his inexperience and can be corrected. Because of his tackling issue and the team already has 4 safeties under contract this year, I doubt that he would crack the 53-man roster. But as long as he could show the team his effort (there's report that his effort and motor are questionable), I fully expect him to be on the practice squad first year.
Back to top Go down
dave n'at
Banned
dave n'at

PostSubject: Re: With The 239th Overall Pick The Steelers Select Gerod Holliman   With The 239th Overall Pick The Steelers Select Gerod Holliman EmptyMon May 04, 2015 12:14 pm

Man, I love this pick. Like Imperial said, dude tackles like Troy which is unfortunate, but I seem to remember Troy having a hall-of-fame career despite his less than desirable tackling 'technique' that not many even seem to bring up. I'm not saying this dude is Troy or HOF-caliber, but those 14 picks are so tantalizing after having DB's with stone hands for so long. I've been dying for us to draft ballhawks for a long time and we got 2 of them this year, even if one is a midget.

PS: This is my first post with SX... I've been around some of you guys since the Post Gazette or Tribune Review (can't remember which it was) message boards. Coming from Steelers Fever.
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: With The 239th Overall Pick The Steelers Select Gerod Holliman   With The 239th Overall Pick The Steelers Select Gerod Holliman EmptyMon May 04, 2015 12:36 pm

dave n'at wrote:
Man, I love this pick. Like Imperial said, dude tackles like Troy which is unfortunate, but I seem to remember Troy having a hall-of-fame career despite his less than desirable tackling 'technique' that not many even seem to bring up. I'm not saying this dude is Troy or HOF-caliber, but those 14 picks are so tantalizing after having DB's with stone hands for so long. I've been dying for us to draft ballhawks for a long time and we got 2 of them this year, even if one is a midget.

PS: This is my first post with SX... I've been around some of you guys since the Post Gazette or Tribune Review (can't remember which it was) message boards. Coming from Steelers Fever.

Welcome to SX, dave n'at.

Good point on bringing up Troy's tackling technique, but that said, Troy was a once in a lifetime talent. Not too many guys could get away tackling like that in the NFL and be considered good at it. Hopefully the coaching staff can preach the importance of learning to be a better tackler to him and it takes. He'll almost have to if he wants to remain with this team.

Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: With The 239th Overall Pick The Steelers Select Gerod Holliman   With The 239th Overall Pick The Steelers Select Gerod Holliman EmptyMon May 04, 2015 1:37 pm

Quote :
GEROD HOLLIMAN, FS LOUISVILLE
Holliman only did the bench press at the combine and didn’t get any TV time. But he met the media and addressed his tackling, which was characterized as “atrocious” in a pre-draft scouting report posted on NFL.com.

“Yes, that’s an area where I want to improve,” Holliman said. “A lot of teams have already asked me about it. I just have to improve my angles to the ball. I’m not afraid to tackle.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/A-Combine-peek-at-Class-of-2015/1722334a-aff7-4220-a915-ddcca2a6b5cb

. .
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: With The 239th Overall Pick The Steelers Select Gerod Holliman   With The 239th Overall Pick The Steelers Select Gerod Holliman EmptyFri May 08, 2015 6:10 pm

James C Wexell @jimwexell

Very first #Steelers interception of the year belongs to Gerod Holliman, first day of rookie minicamp.

https://twitter.com/jimwexell
Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: With The 239th Overall Pick The Steelers Select Gerod Holliman   With The 239th Overall Pick The Steelers Select Gerod Holliman EmptyFri May 08, 2015 7:04 pm

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

Very first #Steelers interception of the year belongs to Gerod Holliman, first day of rookie minicamp.

May it be the first of many for you as a Steeler, Gerod.
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: With The 239th Overall Pick The Steelers Select Gerod Holliman   With The 239th Overall Pick The Steelers Select Gerod Holliman EmptyFri May 08, 2015 7:42 pm

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

He was sent on a safety blitz and missed 3 tackles on the qb until he threw it and got the pick With The 239th Overall Pick The Steelers Select Gerod Holliman 1505004552 With The 239th Overall Pick The Steelers Select Gerod Holliman 1797695198
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: With The 239th Overall Pick The Steelers Select Gerod Holliman   With The 239th Overall Pick The Steelers Select Gerod Holliman EmptyFri May 08, 2015 7:57 pm

a work in progress has the ball skills now its up to him and the coaches to make him into a Steeler football player.
Back to top Go down
ImperialFan

ImperialFan

PostSubject: Re: With The 239th Overall Pick The Steelers Select Gerod Holliman   With The 239th Overall Pick The Steelers Select Gerod Holliman EmptySat May 09, 2015 5:32 pm

dave n'at wrote:

Yup I noticed the comparison to Troys tackling style in his tape. He would rather hit people than really tackle them. That's okay though he will improve and I agree Holliman could really be a steal. I am very excited about a lot of the people we drafted. Of course we know they can't all be successes, but I am really excited about Dupree, Holliman and Jesse James. Dupree for obvious reasons, he is a giant we were lucky he fell to #22 there was some who thought he would go in the top 10, and UK is my favorite college for college sports, so I really liked that pick.

Jesse James is a gigantic man, although his blocking skills have been criticized, he was under used as a pass catcher in college, but in the tape I did see he made some good catches and really reminds me of today's prototypical huge awesome tight end. Although many have drawn more comparisons to Spaeth than to Miller, I could definitely see James taking over millers place as our premier pass catching TE within a season or two. I think he would need a little time to work on his blocking skills before he will be considered a complete NFL TE, but how exciting is it to think about Ben having a 6'8 target in the endzone to go with a 6' 4 Bryant.  

Holliman has such amazing ball skills I would almost see him playing corner, that ball hawking ball hawk could really hawk some balls there, but I see him really hawking some balls and flipping the field, and if Golson can make his size a non issue I could see the steelers defense being the TO generating machine it used to be.

If that happens, watch out Ben might just win those five rings he desired when he was drafted. With this high powered offense we are going to have for the remainder of Bens stay here, if our defense can turn into something similar to what it used to be we could realistically go on one of the best runs of NFL history down Ben's home stretch of his career. Three rings in five years? Probably not but who knows, and who says ben wont play another 7 years. I would love to see him win 5, and see Brady never make it there.

Did I mention how awesome Big Ben is? It's so great to have a Franchise QB who is a great leader and really loves the city of pittsburgh, his fans, and winning. Unlike Jay Cutler or some scrub like that.

I mean after knowing we got Antonio Brown in round 6, I have absolutely no issue with having high expectations for Players taken late in the draft like James (round 5) and Holliman (round 7). I absolutely expect Holliman to make the team this season, I would put money on it. Just look at this ballhawkery

Last edited by ImperialFan on Sat May 09, 2015 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added better highlight reel instead of dumb one with rap music)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: With The 239th Overall Pick The Steelers Select Gerod Holliman   With The 239th Overall Pick The Steelers Select Gerod Holliman Empty

Back to top Go down

With The 239th Overall Pick The Steelers Select Gerod Holliman
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next