Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers pick up Devin Gardner Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers pick up Devin Gardner

Go down 
+9
El-Gonzo Jackson
SteelersYak
IowaSteeler927
Hawaii 5-0
Pappy
Fire Arians
fer69
Steeler Zach
ETL
13 posters
AuthorMessage
ETL

ETL

Steelers pick up Devin Gardner Empty
PostSubject: Steelers pick up Devin Gardner   Steelers pick up Devin Gardner EmptyTue May 19, 2015 5:38 pm

I wonder if he has learned any more ways the Patriots* are cheating even during his tryout weekend.

Back to top Go down
Steeler Zach

Steeler Zach

PostSubject: Re: Steelers pick up Devin Gardner   Steelers pick up Devin Gardner EmptyTue May 19, 2015 5:49 pm

Steelers pick up Devin Gardner Tif591499d1_ax3-lomb72a3a2
Back to top Go down
fer69

fer69

PostSubject: Re: Steelers pick up Devin Gardner   Steelers pick up Devin Gardner EmptyTue May 19, 2015 6:02 pm

SuperBowl!

F@(k Wallace.. Throw it to Miller
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Steelers pick up Devin Gardner   Steelers pick up Devin Gardner EmptyTue May 19, 2015 6:32 pm

Steelers pick up Devin Gardner 1797695198
Back to top Go down
Pappy
Xtreme Newb
Pappy

PostSubject: Re: Steelers pick up Devin Gardner   Steelers pick up Devin Gardner EmptyTue May 19, 2015 6:52 pm

We seem to do well with athletic college quarterbacks who are not suited to play there in the pros. Look at Hines Ward and Randle El. They were very successful. Maybe we can change this kid into a cornerback.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers pick up Devin Gardner   Steelers pick up Devin Gardner EmptyTue May 19, 2015 7:18 pm

Pappy wrote:
We seem to do well with athletic college quarterbacks who are not suited to play there in the pros. Look at Hines Ward and Randle El. They were very successful. Maybe we can change this kid into a cornerback.

just like with Hines and Randle El, the Steelers are going to try and convert Gardner into a WR...
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Steelers pick up Devin Gardner   Steelers pick up Devin Gardner EmptyWed May 20, 2015 5:15 am

Maybe he can be the next "Slash" type of guy. I'm going to guess he's a camp body, but I wouldn't mind it if he blossomed into something unexpectedly awesome either.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Steelers pick up Devin Gardner   Steelers pick up Devin Gardner EmptyWed May 20, 2015 6:56 am

I am intrigued by this pick up. I had to read it at least 3 times on Twitter to make sure I was reading it right.

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers pick up Devin Gardner   Steelers pick up Devin Gardner EmptyWed May 20, 2015 9:00 am

I think just another WR body for camp. I watched him the past few seasons and he was a largely inconsistent QB who didn't make quick reads and as a WR he only ran 4.62 and 4.67 at his pro day and looked sluggish in his routes at the Shrine Game. Here's hoping, but even as a Michigan fan, this is a ho hum signing to me.
Back to top Go down
DesertSteel

DesertSteel

PostSubject: Re: Steelers pick up Devin Gardner   Steelers pick up Devin Gardner EmptyWed May 20, 2015 12:28 pm

I say pack about 20 more pounds on him and try him at TE
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers pick up Devin Gardner   Steelers pick up Devin Gardner EmptyWed May 20, 2015 3:10 pm

Does Gardner Signing Signal Adding Some Trickery To Offense?

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/05/does-gardner-signing-signal-adding-some-trickery-to-offense/
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Steelers pick up Devin Gardner   Steelers pick up Devin Gardner EmptyWed May 20, 2015 4:06 pm

SteelersYak wrote:
I am intrigued by this pick up.  I had to read it at least 3 times on Twitter to make sure I was reading it right.
Steelers pick up Devin Gardner 682248fe4c4df08bcd54ffa206824b05500d1033f0cf40e8386bfdc204ec51a3
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Steelers pick up Devin Gardner   Steelers pick up Devin Gardner EmptyWed May 20, 2015 4:11 pm

DesertSteel wrote:
because former qb's are known for great blocking skills... Steelers pick up Devin Gardner 1797695198

anyhow at 6-4 216 lbs , i don't know if 20 would be enough. maybe 40...dudes as fat as a match stick ..

Steelers pick up Devin Gardner 1378785248000-09-09-2013-Devin-Gardner2
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Steelers pick up Devin Gardner   Steelers pick up Devin Gardner EmptyWed May 20, 2015 8:09 pm

Is it sad I would start him over Landry Jones? Steelers pick up Devin Gardner 2761542443

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Steelers pick up Devin Gardner   Steelers pick up Devin Gardner EmptyWed May 20, 2015 9:29 pm

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
DesertSteel wrote:
because former qb's are known for great blocking skills... Steelers pick up Devin Gardner 1797695198

That guy Hines Ward was pretty good at it Steelers pick up Devin Gardner 2981382511

Steelers pick up Devin Gardner 18f11ysuqk1cojpg
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Steelers pick up Devin Gardner   Steelers pick up Devin Gardner EmptyWed May 20, 2015 9:41 pm

another 6'4" 200 + pound WR I'm liking it.

read option QB I'D like to see that in a preseason game.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers pick up Devin Gardner   Steelers pick up Devin Gardner EmptyMon May 25, 2015 5:37 pm

Steelers have two QB-turned-WR projects in Devin Gardner, Tyler Murphy

Jeremy Fowler, ESPN Senior NFL Writer

A natural association when the Steelers snagged Devin Gardner off waivers was Kordell Stewart and Antwaan Randle El, though Steelers.com's Bob Labriola squashed any "Slash" comparisons with Gardner, who's a camp body until proven otherwise.

But it's worth noting that the Steelers have signed two quarterbacks-turned-receivers in Gardner and Boston College's Tyler Murphy, who might have the better chance to make the team.

Murphy wasn't an elite passer at Boston College, but he was electric in the running game, using his 6-foot-2, 213-pound frame to rush for 1,184 yards and 11 touchdowns in 2014. The Florida Gators transfer reportedly runs the 40-yard-dash in the 4.58 to 4.62 range, which is faster than Gardner's 4.65 range.

to read rest of article:

http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/13899/three-challenges-for-steelers-ben-roethlisberger-after-signing-99-m-deal
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers pick up Devin Gardner   Steelers pick up Devin Gardner EmptyTue May 26, 2015 10:05 am

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

Murphy wasn't an elite passer at Boston College, but he was electric in the running game, using his 6-foot-2, 213-pound frame to rush for 1,184 yards and 11 touchdowns in 2014. The Florida Gators transfer reportedly runs the 40-yard-dash in the 4.58 to 4.62 range, which is faster than Gardner's 4.65 range.

Last season, Murphy threw 4 INT's vs Louisville in 1 game. 3 to Holiman, so maybe he is here to make the DB's feel better in camp?
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers pick up Devin Gardner   Steelers pick up Devin Gardner EmptyTue Jun 02, 2015 2:27 pm

Gardner adjusting to WR

Teresa Varley Steelers.com

Steelers pick up Devin Gardner Gardner_06012015_Article_1

Rookie Devin Gardner is making the move from QB to WR.

It’s better to receive: Rookie Devin Gardner is taking advantage of every rep he gets during the Steelers OTAs, learning as much as he can. And for good reason. The former Michigan quarterback has made the transition to wide receiver, and is making all of the necessary adjustments required.

“It’s a different kind of work,” said Gardner. “At quarterback you don’t do much running. You run every once in a while, but you control when the play starts. It’s a different kind of conditioning, a feel.

“I am getting more used to it. I am trying to get better every day. It’s not something in particular where I am really struggling. Catch the ball well, run well and get open. Those are the key things to be a receiver.”

Gardner played wide receiver during the 2012 season at Michigan, but late in the year transitioned to quarterback and remained there for the next two seasons.

“I am excited to do whatever I can to make the roster,” said Gardner. “I am excited to get a chance to start blocking and stuff (in training camp) and show different kinds of toughness, things you can’t show in shorts. As far as receivers go and going against defensive backs, pads, shorts, it’s all the same.”

to read rest of article:

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...3-deca140606ef
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers pick up Devin Gardner   Steelers pick up Devin Gardner EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 3:53 pm

Steelers trying Devin Gardner at quarterback

Posted by Mike Florio on June 4, 2015

Undrafted last month, former Michigan quarterback turned potential NFL receiver Devin Gardner eventually landed with the Patriots* as a free agent. He didn’t last long in New England.

The Steelers claimed Gardner on waivers, and in recent days the former quarterback has been playing quarterback again.

Via Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the Steelers have moved Gardner back to quarterback for the last two practices.

“We’re just turning over the stones,” coach Mike Tomlin said.

If the Steelers like what they see under the Gardner-as-quarterback-again stone, he could be groomed to serve as a backup to Ben Roethlisberger. At a minimum, the extra skill could make it easier for Gardner to earn a 53-man roster spot at a position where the Steelers are loaded.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/04/steelers-trying-devin-gardner-at-quarterback/
Back to top Go down
Jazzo

Jazzo

PostSubject: Re: Steelers pick up Devin Gardner   Steelers pick up Devin Gardner EmptyFri Jun 05, 2015 12:34 am

It's time to add some more gadget plays to our offensive playbook! I want to see another Randle El to Hines type play in the Super Bowl again...

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers pick up Devin Gardner   Steelers pick up Devin Gardner EmptySun Jun 14, 2015 7:51 pm

Mark Kaboly ‏@MarkKaboly_Trib -

Richard McFadden @richiemc33
@MarkKaboly_Trib What are Devon Gardner's chance of making team

Mark Kaboly retweeted Richard McFadden
Practice squad would be the only legit chance, which is fine

https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers pick up Devin Gardner   Steelers pick up Devin Gardner EmptySat Jun 20, 2015 8:59 pm

Steelers get a two for one deal with new recruit

June 20, 2015
Max Cohen / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

What a wide receiver does with the ball after the play ends is often insignificant, an afterthought in the game’s schemes and complexities. But for Devin Gardner, the split second after the play is a key to developing his identity as a wide receiver, even if he’s only playing the position for a single day.

“I don’t even throw the ball back, like I toss it back underhand just to get the mentality that I’m playing receiver today,” Gardner said.

Throwing the ball overhand resembles too much Gardner’s identity as a quarterback. Though Gardner enters training camp fighting for a roster spot with the Steelers at wide receiver and quarterback, he tries to act the specific part no matter which position he is playing.

“When I play quarterback, I have quarterback swag, I look more like Ben [Roethlisberger],” Gardner said, laughing.

He has received extensive playing time at quarterback and wide receiver in organized team activities and minicamps. When he signed with the team after a brief stint with the Patriots*, the Steelers coaching staff told Gardner they were intrigued by his ability at multiple positions and wanted to evaluate him at both.

to read rest of article:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/06/20/Steelers-get-a-two-for-one-deal-with-new-recruit-Devin-Gardner/stories/201506200015
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers pick up Devin Gardner   Steelers pick up Devin Gardner Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelers pick up Devin Gardner
Page 1 of 1