Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeTwo-G: STEELERS' SLEEPER OF THE SPRING Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Two-G: STEELERS' SLEEPER OF THE SPRING

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

Two-G: STEELERS' SLEEPER OF THE SPRING Empty
PostSubject: Two-G: STEELERS' SLEEPER OF THE SPRING   Two-G: STEELERS' SLEEPER OF THE SPRING EmptyFri Jun 19, 2015 2:08 pm

STEELERS' SLEEPER OF THE SPRING

Jim Wexell
Publisher SteelCityInsider.net

Two-G: STEELERS' SLEEPER OF THE SPRING 1545520

First-year cornerback Kevin Fogg made plays, sparked teammates and thanked God for another step in the journey.

PITTSBURGH -- Ike Taylor missed most of the spring last year, his final one as a player, and it opened the door for Antwon Blake to learn the cornerback position and become one of the Pittsburgh Steelers' key finds prior to the 2014 season.

Now retired, Taylor's been helping out the team as an assistant coach this spring and he sees another possible sleeper in the secondary in No. 30, Kevin Fogg.

"Very productive," said Taylor when asked about Fogg and how he stands in relation to rookie corners Senquez Golson and Doran Grant.

"Right now, (Fogg)'s been the most consistent," Taylor said. "He's been very consistent and he's been getting better, and that doesn't do anything but help the secondary when you can have depth."
Fogg, or "Two-G" as Mike Tomlin dubbed him, is a "one," or a rookie with a training camp already on his resume. Fogg was signed out of Liberty College by the Miami Dolphins on this day one year ago. He performed so well in training camp that he played in three preseason games before he was cut. He signed with the Brooklyn Bolts of the FXFL and was named the new league's Special Teams MVP. But that got him only two tryouts, and he signed with the practice squad of one of those teams, the Steelers, early last December.

This spring, Fogg has been one of the defense's top playmakers. To wit:

* In the first week of work Fogg nearly made a spectacular diving interception of a Ben Roethlisberger pass that elicited a surprising amount of praise and respect from his teammates.

* In the second week, a series after running deep with Antonio Brown to break up a Roethlisberger bomb, Fogg intercepted Roethlisberger by reading Martavis Bryant's curl route and curling a bit sooner. Fogg ran the interception back for a touchdown, again to much fanfare.

* In the third week, on the last rep of two-point conversion work, Fogg went high to intercept a fade pass. It not only sparked the defense as the horn sounded to begin the next period, it sent Steelers Nation Radio man Craig Wolfley running out from behind his booth to ask, "Was that Two-G?"
Yes it was, as the hoots and hollers of Fogg's defensive teammates would answer.

"Coach Tomlin gave me a pretty cool nickname," Fogg said of his apparent popularity. "And I think everybody likes saying Fogg."

Fogg grew up in Raleigh, North Carolina, but wasn't highly recruited. Only the small local colleges showed interest in the 5-9 1/2 running back...

to read rest of article:

http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers/story/1556652-steelers-sleeper-of-the-spring
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Two-G: STEELERS' SLEEPER OF THE SPRING   Two-G: STEELERS' SLEEPER OF THE SPRING EmptyFri Jun 19, 2015 2:14 pm

he'll put a fogg on opposing quarterbacks. har har Two-G: STEELERS' SLEEPER OF THE SPRING 1797695198

according to steelers depot, he also has a lot of experience returning kicks and punts. could be a good value pickup if he can contribute on defense and s/t
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Two-G: STEELERS' SLEEPER OF THE SPRING   Two-G: STEELERS' SLEEPER OF THE SPRING EmptyFri Jun 19, 2015 9:31 pm

great article, but why haven't I heard anything of this guy until now? All I heard from the secondary is Gerod Holliman is getting INT's and Villaneueva is the next great Steelers Tackle.
Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: Two-G: STEELERS' SLEEPER OF THE SPRING   Two-G: STEELERS' SLEEPER OF THE SPRING EmptySat Jun 20, 2015 8:56 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
great article, but why haven't I heard anything of this guy until now?  All I heard from the secondary is Gerod Holliman is getting INT's and Villaneueva is the next great Steelers Tackle.
steelers depot will be running an article today saying how fog got around mike adams on a quarterback blitz in mini camp.

And just like the NFL's strongest man, shamarko Thomas, he pancaked Adams as well.

. .
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Two-G: STEELERS' SLEEPER OF THE SPRING   Two-G: STEELERS' SLEEPER OF THE SPRING EmptySat Jun 20, 2015 11:12 pm

Fogg-ett about it! Ben LOL Two-G: STEELERS' SLEEPER OF THE SPRING 1650858226

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Two-G: STEELERS' SLEEPER OF THE SPRING 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Two-G: STEELERS' SLEEPER OF THE SPRING   Two-G: STEELERS' SLEEPER OF THE SPRING EmptyTue Jun 23, 2015 3:26 pm

Adamski: Don’t forget about Fogg, Webb when examining the Steelers’ cornerbacks

June 22, 2015 by Chris Adamski

From the outside, they’re the forgotten men in the Steelers’ quest to improve their secondary.

Caught in the middle between established veteran and high-pedigree rookie, B.W. Webb and Kevin Fogg might be Nos. 6 and 7 among the seven cornerbacks on the Steelers training camp roster when it comes to headlines. But don’t be surprised come final cuts in September that one and/or the other finds his way onto an opening day 53-man.

“There’s always room for improvement and things to do better at; I’m still trying to get a grasp of some things,” Webb said last week in the locker room following a minicamp workout. “But I think I’m doing a good job of showing them that I’m ready to get out on the field and start playing.”

Everyone knows projected starters William Gay and Cortez Allen, who have a combined 13 seasons with the Steelers. Fans also are keenly aware of rookies Senquez Golson and Doran Grant, who were each drafted within the first four rounds of the draft last month.

Antwon Blake, after late last season showing he could play – even excel – in the NFL, likewise is a known quantity of sorts.

Where does that leave Webb and Fogg?

In an uphill battle to win a roster spot? Perhaps. But each also has an intriguing case to make.

to read rest of article:

https://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2015/06/22/adamski-dont-forget-about-fogg-webb-when-examining-the-steelers-cornerbacks/
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Two-G: STEELERS' SLEEPER OF THE SPRING   Two-G: STEELERS' SLEEPER OF THE SPRING EmptyFri Jul 03, 2015 2:56 am

Question: I know it may be too early to tell since it's before training camp, but who do you see as a potential sleeper pick to make the team?

Answer: This is a tough question to answer as we are still weeks out of camp, but if I were to put my word behind one of two players who I think might make the team's 53-man roster, it would be between defensive backs B.W. Webb and Kevin Fogg. The team will carry a large amount of defensive backs this season, and in my opinion one of those two players will make the roster to play special teams as well as bolster the depth at the defensive back position. The player who makes the roster would be behind William Gay, Cortez Allen, Antwon Blake, Senquez Golson and possibly Doran Grant, making them the No. 6 cornerback on the roster.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2015/7/2/8886671/steelers-mailbag-why-mike-mitchell-will-take-the-biggest-step-forward
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Two-G: STEELERS' SLEEPER OF THE SPRING   Two-G: STEELERS' SLEEPER OF THE SPRING EmptyWed Jul 22, 2015 5:31 pm

PRE-CAMP ANALYSIS: CBs

Bob Labriola
Steelers.com

Two-G: STEELERS' SLEEPER OF THE SPRING Blake_61214_Article_2

The cornerback position will be one of the most scrutinized at this training camp.

It’s not to the same degree as Ben Roethlisberger, that’s for sure, but the Steelers’ success in 2015 definitely is tied to the performance they get from Cortez Allen. That’s right. A fifth-year cornerback prospect is going to have a lot to say about whether the Steelers improve upon a season that included both an AFC North Division championship and a one-and-done in the playoffs.

“I think Cortez enters the (2015) season where he left off (in 2014),” said General Manager Kevin Colbert back in February at the NFL Scouting Combine. “We have to find out about Cortez and whether he can accept the challenge of being a starting NFL cornerback. He showed signs of that in the past. He was productive in spurts for us in the past. Again, you invest in players you think can be good players.”

The Steelers invested in Allen last summer, and so far it has paid no dividends. After signing him to a five-year contract worth a reported $26 million, Allen started the season’s first seven games and contributed two interceptions and eight passes defensed in them. But over the course of those starts, his play was in decline, and after getting benched following the win over the Houston Texans on Oct. 20, Allen would injure his thumb against Tennessee on Nov. 17 and land on the injured reserve list.

And so it will be that the Steelers will look “to find out about Cortez and whether he can accept the challenge of being a starting NFL cornerback” – quite possibly for the final time, one way or another – starting with this 2015 training camp.

“I think we have to look at it realistically, and say this is where he is, this is where we need him to be,” said Colbert. “We are going to support him as he tries to get back to that spot.”

There will be support, but one reality of the NFL is that fifth-year players are expected to produce, or else. The Steelers doubled-down on Allen when the team elected to pay him a $3 million roster bonus in the spring of this year.

to read rest of article:

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/PRE-CAMP-ANALYSIS-CBs/c48040c1-e4b1-42a4-a1a4-8961bdac2d65
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Two-G: STEELERS' SLEEPER OF THE SPRING   Two-G: STEELERS' SLEEPER OF THE SPRING EmptyWed Jul 22, 2015 6:34 pm

I wonder if the Steelers keep 6CB's or do they keep 5 Safeties with the thought that Golden can be the 6th CB if needed. I'm thinking that Thomas, Mitchell, Allen are locks at safety and either of both of Isiah Lewis and Robert Golden make it. My guess is Holliman ends up on the PS.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Two-G: STEELERS' SLEEPER OF THE SPRING   Two-G: STEELERS' SLEEPER OF THE SPRING EmptyWed Jul 22, 2015 7:41 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
I wonder if the Steelers keep 6CB's or do they keep 5 Safeties with the thought that Golden can be the 6th CB if needed.  I'm thinking that Thomas, Mitchell, Allen are locks at safety and either of both of Isiah Lewis and Robert Golden make it.  My guess is Holliman ends up on the PS.

Question: I know it may be too early to tell since it's before training camp, but who do you see as a potential sleeper pick to make the team?

Answer: This is a tough question to answer as we are still weeks out of camp, but if I were to put my word behind one of two players who I think might make the team's 53-man roster, it would be between defensive backs B.W. Webb and Kevin Fogg. The team will carry a large amount of defensive backs this season, and in my opinion one of those two players will make the roster to play special teams as well as bolster the depth at the defensive back position. The player who makes the roster would be behind William Gay, Cortez Allen, Antwon Blake, Senquez Golson and possibly Doran Grant, making them the No. 6 cornerback on the roster.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nf ... ep-forward
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Two-G: STEELERS' SLEEPER OF THE SPRING   Two-G: STEELERS' SLEEPER OF THE SPRING EmptyWed Jul 22, 2015 8:17 pm

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
I wonder if the Steelers keep 6CB's or do they keep 5 Safeties with the thought that Golden can be the 6th CB if needed.  I'm thinking that Thomas, Mitchell, Allen are locks at safety and either of both of Isiah Lewis and Robert Golden make it.  My guess is Holliman ends up on the PS.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nf ... ep-forward

Yeah, that blogger thinks they keep Webb or Fogg and they take 6CB's. But if the Steelers instead decide to keep 9 LB's and only 10 DB's (5CB and 5Safety), then maybe a guy like Golden makes it due to position flexibility because he can cover in Dime, plus play FS and Special Teams. I'm thinking that Lewis has a good camp and becomes a guy they like as SS depth going forward.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Two-G: STEELERS' SLEEPER OF THE SPRING   Two-G: STEELERS' SLEEPER OF THE SPRING Empty

Back to top Go down

Two-G: STEELERS' SLEEPER OF THE SPRING
Page 1 of 1