Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeIf you had a choice who the 2nd string QB could be, who would you choose (Current backups only) Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

If you had a choice who the 2nd string QB could be, who would you choose (Current backups only)

Go down 
+11
solardave
El-Gonzo Jackson
FanSince72
Fire Arians
DesertSteel
jak341
KeepHarrisonTilHes92
vasteeler
tony hipchest
ImperialFan
Steelcitian
15 posters
AuthorMessage
Steelcitian

Steelcitian

If you had a choice who the 2nd string QB could be, who would you choose (Current backups only) Empty
PostSubject: If you had a choice who the 2nd string QB could be, who would you choose (Current backups only)   If you had a choice who the 2nd string QB could be, who would you choose (Current backups only) EmptyFri Oct 02, 2015 11:47 am

Even though hes a starter now, he really is a back up, and thats Brian Hoyer-hes proven he can win multiple games and can throw. A type of QB like that would fit the offense better. I just don't have confidence is Vicks throws much. Even though I thought the throw to Brown was a good throw, theres not much consistency. I hope he surprises us these next 3 games or so and starts to get comfortable.
Back to top Go down
ImperialFan

ImperialFan

If you had a choice who the 2nd string QB could be, who would you choose (Current backups only) Empty
PostSubject: Re: If you had a choice who the 2nd string QB could be, who would you choose (Current backups only)   If you had a choice who the 2nd string QB could be, who would you choose (Current backups only) EmptyFri Oct 02, 2015 12:49 pm

I thought Vick did fine last night. He kept us in the game. For the most part he made good decisions. No turnovers. This loss is on Scobee. Id keep Vick if I had a choice.

PostSubject: Re: If you had a choice who the 2nd string QB could be, who would you choose (Current backups only)   If you had a choice who the 2nd string QB could be, who would you choose (Current backups only) EmptyFri Oct 02, 2015 12:50 pm

the only qb i would maybe want over vick in a fantasy world would maybe be matt schaub (and he is a turnover machine in his own right).

vick played good last night. im happy with him.

. .
Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: If you had a choice who the 2nd string QB could be, who would you choose (Current backups only)   If you had a choice who the 2nd string QB could be, who would you choose (Current backups only) EmptyFri Oct 02, 2015 12:50 pm

"byron leftwich isnt walking through that door..."

. .
Back to top Go down
vasteeler

vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: If you had a choice who the 2nd string QB could be, who would you choose (Current backups only)   If you had a choice who the 2nd string QB could be, who would you choose (Current backups only) EmptyFri Oct 02, 2015 12:56 pm

vick didnt lose the game. Vick is O.K by me as the 2nd string Q.B.

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
ImperialFan

ImperialFan

PostSubject: Re: If you had a choice who the 2nd string QB could be, who would you choose (Current backups only)   If you had a choice who the 2nd string QB could be, who would you choose (Current backups only) EmptyFri Oct 02, 2015 12:58 pm

Vick made a lot of good plays. What about that huge block that allowed bell to score a TD. The pass to brown that should have been caught. Smartly throwing it into the ground or taking a sack instead of making stupid throws on a few occasions. Vick did better than anyone expected and we should have won that game. Vick proved he can still throw the ball, we should definitely open it up more in the next game.

KeepHarrisonTilHes92

PostSubject: Re: If you had a choice who the 2nd string QB could be, who would you choose (Current backups only)   If you had a choice who the 2nd string QB could be, who would you choose (Current backups only) EmptyFri Oct 02, 2015 1:05 pm

Steelers absolutely are not going to be able to upgrade from Vick. Vick was a backup. He did by far and away enough to be considered a competent backup with four days prep on the offense. We would only find worse if we knee jerked and tried someone else. Especially Landry imo.
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: If you had a choice who the 2nd string QB could be, who would you choose (Current backups only)   If you had a choice who the 2nd string QB could be, who would you choose (Current backups only) EmptyFri Oct 02, 2015 1:10 pm

Can't disagree with this thread.

We don't need another backup. We need Vick to settle in and run the offense and not make dumb mistakes. We need Ben to heal as quick as possible and get back in the saddle.
Back to top Go down
DesertSteel

DesertSteel

PostSubject: Re: If you had a choice who the 2nd string QB could be, who would you choose (Current backups only)   If you had a choice who the 2nd string QB could be, who would you choose (Current backups only) EmptyFri Oct 02, 2015 1:25 pm

I'd take Mark Sanchez, then Matt Shaub.
Back to top Go down
ImperialFan

ImperialFan

PostSubject: Re: If you had a choice who the 2nd string QB could be, who would you choose (Current backups only)   If you had a choice who the 2nd string QB could be, who would you choose (Current backups only) EmptyFri Oct 02, 2015 1:28 pm

Does anyone remember the block vick had last night? Or the Pass Brown dropped? the zero turn overs? Thats all we can ask for from a back up. Our defense had to step up which is did, too bad we never took into account that our kicker is absolutely horrible and is the soul reason we lost the game.

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: If you had a choice who the 2nd string QB could be, who would you choose (Current backups only)   If you had a choice who the 2nd string QB could be, who would you choose (Current backups only) EmptyFri Oct 02, 2015 2:21 pm

vick played well, he should have another td that he placed right in the hands of AB that was dropped.

especially on 4 days notice, i'd say im comfortable with vick as the backup qb. this loss was 100% on the hands of scobee
Back to top Go down
DesertSteel

DesertSteel

PostSubject: Re: If you had a choice who the 2nd string QB could be, who would you choose (Current backups only)   If you had a choice who the 2nd string QB could be, who would you choose (Current backups only) EmptyFri Oct 02, 2015 2:49 pm

I hope they open Vick up a little more next game. This isn't his first rodeo. Understandable first game, but he has ten days to prepare for SD.
Back to top Go down
FanSince72

FanSince72

PostSubject: Re: If you had a choice who the 2nd string QB could be, who would you choose (Current backups only)   If you had a choice who the 2nd string QB could be, who would you choose (Current backups only) EmptyFri Oct 02, 2015 9:55 pm

ImperialFan wrote:
I thought Vick did fine last night. He kept us in the game. For the most part he made good decisions. No turnovers. This loss is on Scobee. Id keep Vick if I had a choice.

Absolutely!

Vick is no Ben, but he's no slouch either.

Considering the expectations he has to live up to along with the fact that his first start was against an 0-3 Ravens team, I'd say he did quite well.
I think he'll get better as he gets more reps and becomes familiar with his offense and they with him.

Scobee is the goat and there's no two ways about that.

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: If you had a choice who the 2nd string QB could be, who would you choose (Current backups only)   If you had a choice who the 2nd string QB could be, who would you choose (Current backups only) EmptySat Oct 03, 2015 1:33 am

I still will not be surprised at all to see Jones get in the game in the next 3 weeks. He knows the offense and at this point in their respective careers, has better mechanics than #2.

Still hoping we can go 2-2 in the first 4 weeks Ben is gone.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: If you had a choice who the 2nd string QB could be, who would you choose (Current backups only)   If you had a choice who the 2nd string QB could be, who would you choose (Current backups only) EmptySat Oct 03, 2015 3:54 am

ImperialFan wrote:

I agree except for him holding onto the ball and taking all those sacks. Get rid of it somehow. With his arm he could have thrown it out of bounds
Back to top Go down
pczach

pczach

PostSubject: Re: If you had a choice who the 2nd string QB could be, who would you choose (Current backups only)   If you had a choice who the 2nd string QB could be, who would you choose (Current backups only) EmptySat Oct 03, 2015 7:41 am

Vick played well considering his limited time in the offensive system, very little playing time, and a short week to prepare. He gave us a chance to win the game, and didn't turn the ball over. I think he did just fine.

Landry Jones is a better pure passer. He's more accurate than Vick. The problem is, Jones is a turnover machine, he doesn't read defenses well, and he takes too many sacks. Throughout preseason he continually threw the ball to the other team, and that was with most defenses playing vanilla and not getting very exotic with coverages and looks at the line of scrimmage. Landry Jones will be a disaster if he doesn't take a great leap forward in his recognition of coverages and pocket presence. He will literally throw games away.

There's a reason why he has been the #3 quarterback since he's been in Pittsburgh, and is actually the #4 quarterback when you consider how quickly they signed a veteran quarterback and placed him ahead of Jones immediately. The Steelers don't believe he can play. I agree with that assessment. I've always hoped I was wrong about him, but he has been in the league for three years and has shown nothing.

If Vick gets hurt or falls apart, Jones will have his chance to show everyone what he's learned since he got here. Maybe if he went into full protect mode, and was drilled in practice to protect the ball more with limited reads of half the field to throw to, he would be able to survive. He has shown he's not able to run the entire offense and protect the ball when being aggressive.

I think you have to ride Vick unless he gets injured, or the wheels fall off.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: If you had a choice who the 2nd string QB could be, who would you choose (Current backups only)   If you had a choice who the 2nd string QB could be, who would you choose (Current backups only) EmptySat Oct 03, 2015 7:52 am

I'd stick with Vick. He's a good fit, and given some more time he'll only get better. I thought he did well protecting the football and doing enough to put us in the position to win, and we should've won... We lost because of Scobee, though a rare drop from Antonio Brown hurt us as well.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: If you had a choice who the 2nd string QB could be, who would you choose (Current backups only)   If you had a choice who the 2nd string QB could be, who would you choose (Current backups only) EmptySat Oct 03, 2015 11:45 am

DesertSteel wrote:
I'd take Mark Sanchez, then Matt Shaub.

I would go for Sanchez too. He's a perfect #2 QB imo.
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: If you had a choice who the 2nd string QB could be, who would you choose (Current backups only)   If you had a choice who the 2nd string QB could be, who would you choose (Current backups only) EmptySat Oct 03, 2015 12:38 pm

I'd also vote for Sanchez.....former starter......lots of big game experience..... has a decent arm and still reasonably mobile.

Vick has 3 of the 4......arm on the decline. Can't beat Father time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: If you had a choice who the 2nd string QB could be, who would you choose (Current backups only)   If you had a choice who the 2nd string QB could be, who would you choose (Current backups only) Empty

Back to top Go down

If you had a choice who the 2nd string QB could be, who would you choose (Current backups only)
Page 1 of 1