Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeJones likely to start Sunday. Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Jones likely to start Sunday.

Go down 
+13
El-Gonzo Jackson
SoCalFan
SteelCity4Life
HeinzMustard
Hawaii 5-0
Wallace108
tony hipchest
Rhyno
KeepHarrisonTilHes92
DesertSteel
FanSince72
Lokki
ImperialFan
17 posters
AuthorMessage
ImperialFan

ImperialFan

Jones likely to start Sunday. Empty
PostSubject: Jones likely to start Sunday.   Jones likely to start Sunday. EmptyTue Oct 20, 2015 1:21 pm

Landry Jones got the job done on Sunday. It sounds like the Steelers will lean on him again in Week 7.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin told reporters on Tuesday that the team will "play it by ear" with injured quarterbacks Ben Roethlisberger (knee) and Mike Vick (hamstring), but will focus on getting Landry ready for the team's upcoming matchup against the 1-5 Chiefs.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000561681/article/tomlin-steelers-preparing-landry-jones-to-start-at-qb

Jerkimus Maximus
Lokki

PostSubject: Re: Jones likely to start Sunday.   Jones likely to start Sunday. EmptyTue Oct 20, 2015 1:41 pm

I'm ok with that.  He did well in his short time against the Cardinals.  I don't want them to rush Ben back.  However, if Ben comes back against the Bungles then I worry about some rust, but he has been throwing the ball some already.  His movement in the pocket is what worries me.  A stationary Ben isn't as good as a mobile Ben.

Last edited by Lokki on Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
FanSince72

FanSince72

PostSubject: Re: Jones likely to start Sunday.   Jones likely to start Sunday. EmptyTue Oct 20, 2015 1:49 pm

ImperialFan wrote:
Landry Jones got the job done on Sunday. It sounds like the Steelers will lean on him again in Week 7.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin told reporters on Tuesday that the team will "play it by ear" with injured quarterbacks Ben Roethlisberger (knee) and Mike Vick (hamstring), but will focus on getting Landry ready for the team's upcoming matchup against the 1-5 Chiefs.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000561681/article/tomlin-steelers-preparing-landry-jones-to-start-at-qb

Getting Jones ready is a no-brainer because even if Vick had better numbers, his hammie would probably keep him out anyway.

My guess (hope) is that Ben will have a good practice and would be OK to go as a backup to Jones.
If Jones falls apart and the game is within reach, I wouldn't be surprised to see Ben play even if it was just to basically hand-off to Bell.

As far as Vick goes, if Jones plays and Ben can't I think Vick would be healthy enough to assume the hand-off role.

DesertSteel

PostSubject: Re: Jones likely to start Sunday.   Jones likely to start Sunday. EmptyTue Oct 20, 2015 1:53 pm

I'm OK with it too... but the title of the thread is misleading. They are preparing Jones to start. But if Ben holds up in practice, the door is open for him to start.

I don't think KC can be overlooked. Those are the types of team we often lose to. In the NFL, every game counts.
Back to top Go down
KeepHarrisonTilHes92

KeepHarrisonTilHes92

PostSubject: Re: Jones likely to start Sunday.   Jones likely to start Sunday. EmptyTue Oct 20, 2015 1:59 pm

Ive been tossing it back and forth in my head but I think we should be totally fine with Ben coming in a little rusty against Cincy. Because teams that we played that were supposed to be scary like AZ and even NE were still kept relatively in check. NE diced up the secondary but that game was actually winnable and would of had a different landscape without Scobee. NE has been slaughtering team with 40 burgers since. AZ was put down (half by their own hand in penalties and the other half by good team D).

I just think the super scary Bungles that were expecting to see arent gonna show up vs the Steelers. The game will "AFC Northed" into a gritty lower scoring game that even Landry could manage if god forbid Ben was still out.

Perhaps I'm being too optimistic but this schedule doesnt worry me.
Back to top Go down
Rhyno

Rhyno

PostSubject: Re: Jones likely to start Sunday.   Jones likely to start Sunday. EmptyTue Oct 20, 2015 2:20 pm

KeepHarrisonTilHes92 wrote:
Perhaps I'm being too optimistic but this schedule doesnt worry me.

Yeah, this schedule is not nearly as tough as originally predicted.
Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: Jones likely to start Sunday.   Jones likely to start Sunday. EmptyTue Oct 20, 2015 2:21 pm

darn.

i was hoping this misleading thread was about jarvis jones. Jones likely to start Sunday. 1401235891

. .
Back to top Go down
ImperialFan

ImperialFan

PostSubject: Re: Jones likely to start Sunday.   Jones likely to start Sunday. EmptyTue Oct 20, 2015 2:25 pm

My bad, poor choice of words, but it basically confirms we wont have to watch vick scamper around out there.

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Jones likely to start Sunday.   Jones likely to start Sunday. EmptyTue Oct 20, 2015 2:33 pm

DesertSteel wrote:
I'm OK with it too... but the title of the thread is misleading. They are preparing Jones to start. But if Ben holds up in practice, the door is open for him to start.

Agreed. I changed the thread title so that it's not as definitive.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Jones likely to start Sunday.   Jones likely to start Sunday. EmptyTue Oct 20, 2015 5:19 pm

hmmm, wonder which of our "wasted" draft picks will be the next one to step up?
Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: Jones likely to start Sunday.   Jones likely to start Sunday. EmptyTue Oct 20, 2015 5:39 pm

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
not dri Archer.

He's so small and a waste of a pic he can't step up a curb.

. .
Back to top Go down
DesertSteel

DesertSteel

PostSubject: Re: Jones likely to start Sunday.   Jones likely to start Sunday. EmptyTue Oct 20, 2015 6:38 pm

tony hipchest wrote:
Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
not dri Archer.

He's so small and a waste of a pic he can't step up a curb.

WK Game Date Opp Result G GS Att Yds Avg Lng TD Rec Yds Avg Lng TD FUM Lost
1 09/10 @ NE L 21-28 1 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
2 09/20 SF W 43-18 1 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
3 09/27 @ STL W 12-6 1 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
4 10/01 BAL L 20-23 1 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
5 10/12 @ SD W 24-20 1 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
6 10/18 ARI W 25-13 1 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
TOTAL 6 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0

Look at all these chances this year!!! He's proven he can't get it done in the run/pass games.
Back to top Go down
HeinzMustard

PostSubject: Re: Jones likely to start Sunday.   Jones likely to start Sunday. EmptyTue Oct 20, 2015 6:46 pm

Steelers need to lock up Jones with a new contract while he's cheap in the offseason. Redskins and Cowboys and other QB starved teams will be making offers. Jones is the best possible #2 QB for the foreseeable future.
Back to top Go down
SteelCity4Life

SteelCity4Life

PostSubject: Re: Jones likely to start Sunday.   Jones likely to start Sunday. EmptyTue Oct 20, 2015 6:58 pm

I think the schedule not being scary is reflective of how this team handles injuries. Ben goes down, we lose Pouncey, we were missing Bryant, even Bell for a couple games.

We go 2-1 mostly with Vick and would be 3-0, almost guaranteed, if not for having Josh Scobee.

Kansas City should always be taken seriously because they have a history of playing tough against us, especially at arrowhead. This is no gimme game but it's winnable, and I'm actually excited to possibly see Landry get the start.

The Bengals have started well the past two seasons, but last year we dominated them and sweeped them. As far as I see it, they're our biggest threat the next few years. Never thought I'd see 1-5 Baltimore. Man is that GREAT. Jones likely to start Sunday. 1797695198

The closer we get to Ben coming back and the more we win without him, the easier I sleep at night.

Hell, I bet even BEN has been sleeping well! Sleep

Stuck in a SE Ohio Tech. school with a bunch of high schoolers. Jones likely to start Sunday. 1505004552
Back to top Go down
SoCalFan

SoCalFan

PostSubject: Re: Jones likely to start Sunday.   Jones likely to start Sunday. EmptyTue Oct 20, 2015 7:27 pm

Boy am I stoked on where we are without a handful of starters! I like where we are now with L.J. and actually HOPE Ben does not start this game! Not only to give the kid L.J. another shot but to keep Ben as far away from Tamba Hali as possible!

Hey, both Dri Archer and Danny Woodhead are 5' 8"! C'mon Dri, head out of ass!!!

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Jones likely to start Sunday.   Jones likely to start Sunday. EmptyTue Oct 20, 2015 10:29 pm

HeinzMustard wrote:
Steelers need to lock up Jones with a new contract while he's cheap in the offseason.  Redskins and Cowboys and other QB starved teams will be making offers.  Jones is the best possible #2 QB for the foreseeable future.    

The Cowboys or Redskins wont be outbidding the Steelers for Jones, unless he lights up 2 more games for 300 yds plus(which is really unlikely to happen, IMO).

I think Landry Jones is still a ways off from being a reliable QB. Lets face it, he really only has maybe 20 minutes of NFL experience. He hasn't proven he can be Christian Ponder yet. But I think if they put the ball in the hands of #26 and #34 this sunday and mix in some throws that Jones showed he can make....Steeler can be successful.
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Jones likely to start Sunday.   Jones likely to start Sunday. EmptyTue Oct 20, 2015 11:03 pm

Despite the big touchdown plays he did throw a few ugly passes, I'm also on that ship that yes he did deliver when we needed it, but we need to chill out on the praise he's getting. If he starts against KC and delivers a solid game as a starter I'll believe in him more. Part of his success was the cardinals probably didn't game plan for Landry Jones
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Jones likely to start Sunday.   Jones likely to start Sunday. EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 1:18 am

Fire Arians wrote:
Despite the big touchdown plays he did throw a few ugly passes, I'm also on that ship that yes he did deliver when we needed it, but we need to chill out on the praise he's getting. If he starts against KC and delivers a solid game as a starter I'll believe in him more. Part of his success was the cardinals probably didn't game plan for Landry Jones

Exactly! Fans bitch about his selection for 3 preseasons and he plays less than a half and they want to sign him to a Matt Cassell contract.

Jones still has inconsistent mechanics and misses WR's. I still think he gives us the best chance to win if its between him and Vick.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Jones likely to start Sunday.   Jones likely to start Sunday. EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 1:31 am

I caught part of the fantasy segment on NFL network and one guy said: the investagation into "insider trading" on fanduel & draft kings should start with anyone who had Landry Jones on their team.

I agree the praise is to soon but he does seem to have the best chemistry with Bryant or maybe because of Bryant's athleticism he makes the catch. I don't think it matters who we're playing or who our QB is AB is going to draw the double team so why not throw to Bryant or Wheaton or DHB if he is in there. I also agree until Ben is back 100% we should rely on 26 & 34.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Jones likely to start Sunday.   Jones likely to start Sunday. EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 1:38 am

Steelers QB Jones likely to make first NFL start vs. Chiefs

By JOHN PERROTTO (Associated Press)

Jones likely to start Sunday. 201510181541564865570

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Landry Jones had his first regular-season NFL action last week.

Now, it looks as if he will make his first start this week.

Coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday that his team will prepare for Sunday's game against the Chiefs at Kansas City as if Jones will be the starting quarterback.

Starter Ben Roethlisberger has been out since spraining the medical collateral ligament in his left knee Sept. 27 in a win over the Rams at St. Louis.

Backup Mike Vick suffered a strained right hamstring in last Sunday's 25-13 victory over the Arizona Cardinals.

''I think it's prudent and appropriate right now to operate under the assumption that Landry is our quarterback this week,'' Tomlin said. ''He is the guy that's healthy.''

Jones had been the third-string quarterback since being drafted in the fourth round in 2013. He played well against the Cardinals, completing 8 of 12 passes for 168 yards and two touchdowns.

''We were not shocked by his performance, but we were pleased by it,'' Tomlin said.

The Steelers (4-2) have gone 2-1 without Roethlisberger. However, Vick has struggled, completing 40 of 66 passes for 371 yards with two touchdowns and one interception.

Offensive coordinator Todd Haley called more low-risk plays for Vick, who signed as a free agent at the end of the preseason when backup quarterback Bruce Gradkowski was placed on injured reserve with a hand injury.

The Steelers, though, will likely open up the offense more if Jones starts. He had extensive action in the preseason as played five games rather than the normal four because of the Steelers appearance in the Hall of Fame game.

''He took advantage of those reps, like we all talked about during the course of the preseason, but regular season is different from the preseason,'' Tomlin said.

''It's not what you know, it's about what you're capable of executing. Knowledge as a third quarterback with a clipboard, or in a classroom setting is one thing, and playing in a hostile situation is another. I give him credit for rising up.''

While injuries have left Jones as the only healthy quarterback on the roster, Tomlin said the Steelers have not worked out any free agents. They could promote rookie wide receiver Tyler Murphy from the practice squad as he played quarterback at Boston College.

Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown voiced his displeasure last week about not getting as many targets since Vick replaced Roethlisberger. Though Brown caught just three passes for 24 yards against the Cardinals, he was pleased with how Jones handled the offense.

to read rest of article:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/steelers-qb-jones-likely-first-nfl-start-vs-195605505--nfl.html
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Jones likely to start Sunday.   Jones likely to start Sunday. EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 2:41 am

I kind of hope Jones does start. I want to see what the kid can do with an actual start, and I'd rather see Ben come back when he's healthy. Maybe Ben is healthier than I think, but I just can't see him being at 100% just yet off that kind of injury.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Steel Peon

Steel Peon

PostSubject: Re: Jones likely to start Sunday.   Jones likely to start Sunday. EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 1:56 pm

Jones likely to start Sunday. 0gcffgjE

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Jones likely to start Sunday.   Jones likely to start Sunday. EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 8:43 pm

Steel Peon wrote:
Jones likely to start Sunday. 0gcffgjE
I generally hate bandwagon jumpers, but this image made me laugh. Jones likely to start Sunday. 1647293567
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jones likely to start Sunday.   Jones likely to start Sunday. Empty

Back to top Go down

Jones likely to start Sunday.
Page 1 of 1