Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeBrandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season - Page 4 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season

Go down 
+30
kirklandrules
El-Gonzo Jackson
stlrtruck
SteelersYak
SteelerFreak58
PhantomJB93
Rhyno
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu
WCSteeler
KeepHarrisonTilHes92
Steeler-in-west
Lokki
jak341
Fire Arians
The_Joker
BKAnthem
DesertSteel
Hawaii 5-0
ImperialFan
Steel Peon
rellimie
EbonySteel86
FrancoLambert
pczach
SteelCity4Life
lotas
solardave
IowaSteeler927
SoCalFan
Atlanta Dan
34 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 03, 2016 7:50 pm

is blake the only player who has immunity to getting benched? seriously.

Just today
- Shazier gets benched in favor of williams on running plays because he struggled in run support
- Martavis Bryant benched for struggling

Antwan Blake struggles for like the 10th game in a row and DOESN'T get benched. Wow?
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 03, 2016 8:27 pm

Fire Arians wrote:
is blake the only player who has immunity to getting benched? seriously.

Just today
- Shazier gets benched in favor of williams on running plays because he struggled in run support
- Martavis Bryant benched for struggling

Antwan Blake struggles for like the 10th game in a row and DOESN'T get benched. Wow?

I thought Bryant was sitting because he was battling the flu and a neck issue.
Shazier I just thought was injured..........again.

I think Blake got yanked at the end of the 2nd quarter, because I saw a lot of Cockrell after that. Feels like Lake and Butler roll out Blake each game, then when he sucks badly and gets beat, then Tomlin turns and tells them to get him out of there.
Back to top Go down
ImperialFan

ImperialFan

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 03, 2016 8:50 pm

This antwan Blake shit has become a shit show and if we still have him on the starting roster next season I will truly be befuddled

Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 03, 2016 9:08 pm

KeepHarrisonTilHes92 wrote:
I predict this depth chart. Or rather wish it

Gay
Golson
Boykin
1st rounder
Grant

Cockrell and Blake gone. This is the way the beginning of the 2016 season starts. With the first rounder replacing whoever fucks up first.

Most 1st round corner backs are busts.
Back to top Go down
WCSteeler

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 03, 2016 10:17 pm

rellimie wrote:

Gay
Golson
Boykin
1st rounder
Grant

Cockrell and Blake gone. This is the way the beginning of the 2016 season starts. With the first rounder replacing whoever fucks up first.

Yeah look at that Marcus Peters guy the Steelers should have drafted (super sized helping of sarcasm)
Back to top Go down
KeepHarrisonTilHes92

KeepHarrisonTilHes92

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 03, 2016 10:51 pm

WCSteeler wrote:
rellimie wrote:

Gay
Golson
Boykin
1st rounder
Grant

Yeah look at that Marcus Peters guy the Steelers should have drafted (super sized helping of sarcasm)

We couldn't have he was taken before we took Bud Dupree unless we traded up, but that sort of thing isn't automatic.

But solid point.

I never said the first rounder would be good. I simply said they would start him when one of the following three above him had what Tomlin refers to as "below the line play."

And Tomlin never never like ever starts draft picks week one. Lot of loyalty to those familiar with the system, which is smart. All though he can be damn stubborn with it sometimes (Boykin not getting a helmet for so long)
Back to top Go down
rellimie
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 03, 2016 11:28 pm

WCSteeler wrote:
rellimie wrote:

Gay
Golson
Boykin
1st rounder
Grant

We couldn't have he was taken before we took Bud Dupree unless we traded up, but that sort of thing isn't automatic.

But solid point.

I never said the first rounder would be good. I simply said they would start him when one of the following three above him had what Tomlin refers to as "below the line play."

And Tomlin never never like ever starts draft picks week one. Lot of loyalty to those familiar with the system, which is smart. All though he can be damn stubborn with it sometimes (Boykin not getting a helmet for so long)

Under Tomlin if they are good enough they play...we have seen that (Pouncey, Bell).

LeBeau never played rookies, Butler seems to be better playing them.

There is a reason Boykin doesn't play that we don't know about. No coach in the NFL would leave a much superior player on the bench without cause. Tomlin has shown no history of not replacing guys on the field when they don't perform if he has a better option.

For all we know Boykin is a dog at practice and is not a team player. There is a reason and I'm sure it will come out after the season.

Besides, he has yet to show he is this far superior player that everyone thinks he is.

Back to top Go down
rellimie
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 03, 2016 11:49 pm

WCSteeler wrote:
rellimie wrote:

Gay
Golson
Boykin
1st rounder
Grant

Since the Steelers pick was after Peters was drafted I'm sure they are kicking themselves over it.

For the sake of argument let's look at all the 1st round shutdown corners they passed over the past 5 years:

2015:
Byron Jones - 0 Pro Bowls, Not starting, has done nothing.

2014:
Darqueze Dennard - 0 Pro Bowls, 1 Pick in 2 years, 4 PD in 2 years, IR all year
Jason Verrett - Starts, 0 Pro Bowls, 15 PD in 3 years, 4 picks in 3 years.  

2013:
Desmond Trufant - Starts, Nice rookie year, 0 pro bowls, (Picks, PD and Tackles declined every year since.)
Xavier Rhodes - Starts, 0 Pro Bowls, 1 pick in 4 years, 37 PD in 4 years.  

2012:
No corners taken after the Steelers picked

2011:
No corners taken after the Steelers picked

I would not consider ANY of these guys the infamous "shutdown" corner that Tomlin (aka Kevin Colbert) refuses to draft. That being said....a total of 5 corner backs were taking in round 1 after the Steelers picked in 5 years......5.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 04, 2016 12:54 am

Boykin has shown he could have contributed sooner. Boykin's NFL resume is substantially better than Blake. Blake has been here 2 years and was in the incumbent, so Carnell Lake(or another coach) likely felt better going with "his guy" than Boykin.

Coaches do this often, its like why the 49ers went with Kaepernick instead of Alex Smith. Its why Phiip Rivers was drafted to replace Drew Brees. I'm just thankful that somebody finally clued into giving Boykin some reps and the play has been better because of it.
Back to top Go down
rellimie
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 04, 2016 7:23 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Boykin has shown he could have contributed sooner.  Boykin's NFL resume is substantially better than Blake.  Blake has been here 2 years and was in the incumbent, so Carnell Lake(or another coach) likely felt better going with "his guy" than Boykin.

Coaches do this often, its like why the 49ers went with Kaepernick instead of Alex Smith.  Its why Phiip Rivers was drafted to replace Drew Brees.  I'm just thankful that somebody finally clued into giving Boykin some reps and the play has been better because of it.

We aren't at the practices and team meetings. We don't know what goes on.
Back to top Go down
lotas

lotas

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 04, 2016 7:40 am

rellimie wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Boykin has shown he could have contributed sooner.  Boykin's NFL resume is substantially better than Blake.  Blake has been here 2 years and was in the incumbent, so Carnell Lake(or another coach) likely felt better going with "his guy" than Boykin.

Coaches do this often, its like why the 49ers went with Kaepernick instead of Alex Smith.  Its why Phiip Rivers was drafted to replace Drew Brees.  I'm just thankful that somebody finally clued into giving Boykin some reps and the play has been better because of it.

We aren't at the practices and team meetings.  We don't know what goes on.  
Ok, but are you watching the games? Boykin is clearly more skilled at his position than is Blake. I know they are two different positions, but just judging player to player, Boykin > Blake. He shows a better ability to shadow a receiver, a better ability to make a sound tackle in the case of a catch, and he's shown heads up play that results in positive outcomes for our defense (his INT in his first game, sack in last game, etc.)

Blake is a solid Special Teams player, he is not an NFL cornerback. It's the classic case of someone getting in over their head, like a jackass that gets promoted to manager at work and can't hack it or doesn't know how to manage. I don't know how Blake got to the position he is in now, but I'm pretty sure he's in over his head and we've seen it all year long.

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 04, 2016 10:15 am

rellimie wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:

We watch the games and one of the worst CB's in the NFL starts for the Steelers, while one of the best slot CB's in the NFL sat for 2/3 of the season on the bench.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 04, 2016 11:42 am

Gay
Golson
Boykin
1st rounder
Grant

So why the Cockrell hate?? I honestly think he is the best young CB on the team and should be a starter next season. He should be starting over Blake right now, IMO.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season - Page 4 EmptyFri Feb 05, 2016 2:53 pm

Determining The Current Market Value of Steelers CB Brandon Boykin

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/02/determining-the-current-market-value-of-steelers-cb-brandon-boykin/
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season - Page 4 EmptyFri Feb 05, 2016 10:55 pm

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
Determining The Current Market Value of Steelers CB Brandon Boykin

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/02/determining-the-current-market-value-of-steelers-cb-brandon-boykin/

$6.5 million a season. I don't see the Steelers paying that. They would rather pay Blake $900k a season and give him a chance to rebound.
Back to top Go down
pczach

pczach

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season - Page 4 EmptySat Feb 06, 2016 7:52 am

The complete under appreciation of how well Cockrell played is astonishing at this forum.

Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season - Page 4 2829330259

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season - Page 4 EmptySat Feb 06, 2016 9:08 am

Cockrell played fine enough for a 2nd CB. He's young, and hopefully will continue to improve. The fact we plucked him off of the Bills garbage heap and he's starting here says a lot. I'll let you decide what it says.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season - Page 4 EmptySat Feb 06, 2016 10:34 am

pczach wrote:
The complete under appreciation of how well Cockrell played is astonishing at this forum.

Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season - Page 4 2829330259

I completely agree!! I thought he was the 2nd best CB in terms of performance last season and for a 2nd year player, the kid will and should improve. The Secondary was better when Cockrell, Gay and Boykin were on the field.

People think that because he was released by the Bills after 1 season that he sucks. Those are the same people that think Lawrence Timmons is a bust because he's never been an all pro.
Back to top Go down
pczach

pczach

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season - Page 4 EmptySat Feb 06, 2016 10:49 am

jak341 wrote:
Cockrell played fine enough for a 2nd CB. He's young, and hopefully will continue to improve. The fact we plucked him off of the Bills garbage heap and he's starting here says a lot. I'll let you decide what it says.

Rex Ryan changed the style of defense that the Bills had been playing. He cleaned out some talent that weren't his type of player, or didn't fit what he wanted to do. Cockrell was one of those guys.

I loved him going into the draft, and felt he was a steal when the Bills got him. I openly called for the Steelers to draft him, and had him in many of my mock drafts that year.

The Bills decided to go a different direction because of a different defensive philosophy with a new coach, but his skill set is still there. He is a much better fit in Pittsburgh than he was in Buffalo.

Buffalo's defensive players were openly critical of Ryan's defense, and the use of talent. They struggled this year and badly underachieved individually and as a unit.

I'll let you decide what it says.

The bottom line is that the Steelers were a better team while he was on the field. He is extremely smart and was able to get on the field immediately after the Steelers acquired him. He is only going to get better IMO.

pczach

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season - Page 4 EmptySat Feb 06, 2016 10:55 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
pczach wrote:

I completely agree!!  I thought he was the 2nd best CB in terms of performance last season and for a 2nd year player, the kid will and should improve. The Secondary was better when Cockrell, Gay and Boykin were on the field.

People think that because he was released by the Bills after 1 season that he sucks.  Those are the same people that think Lawrence Timmons is a bust because he's never been an all pro.

He never got to show what he could do in Buffalo.

He is a reliable player that is able to play off coverage and drive to the ball. He shows the ability to play press coverage, and he looks comfortable in zone. He plays with good technique, and is always in close proximity to the receiver. He also plays with good physicality, and is willing to come up and defend the run well. He is young, smart, and a quiet professional. He came in and played in a system that many say is impossible to understand quickly for young players.

I'm not really sure what's not to like about him.

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season - Page 4 EmptySat Feb 06, 2016 11:03 am

pczach wrote:

I'm not really sure what's not to like about him.

Watch the East-West Shrine game from 2 years ago. You see Cockrell breaking on every ball thrown his way and hear Mike Mayock and Charles Davis rave about what a great week he had and how the kid from Duke has some ball skills. I wanted him instead of Dri Archer in the 3rd, the fact he got here and Archer is gone is just good fortune.
Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season - Page 4 EmptySat Feb 06, 2016 11:17 am

Cockrell seems like a smart guy. I saw he went to Duke but also that he was pursuing his graduate degree there and his father went to Columbia. Definitely someone to watch for and I think he's got a good eye for the ball. I believe we did want him which is why we pounced on him when the Bills let him go. Not sure if he was brought in for a visit a couple years ago or not.
Back to top Go down
Steel Peon

Steel Peon

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 07, 2016 3:48 pm

rellimie wrote:

You're just going to have to get used to seeing most Steelers fans on every message board imaginable scapegoating Blake for all the defensive problems we've had this year, while at the same time claiming that Boykin should've replaced him from game one forward, even though Boykin can't replace him in his position. Also be ready for the landslide of meaningless statistics that prove Blake isn't fit to start for a varsity team, while Boykin's stats show we could've been favorites to win the Super Bowl if only we'd tried to jam his square peg into our round hole sooner. Even after hearing this stuff all season, it's still a wonder to behold.

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season - Page 4 EmptyMon Feb 08, 2016 9:56 am

Steel Peon wrote:
rellimie wrote:

You're just going to have to get used to seeing most Steelers fans on every message board imaginable scapegoating Blake for all the defensive problems we've had this year, while at the same time claiming that Boykin should've replaced him from game one forward, even though Boykin can't replace him in his position. Also be ready for the landslide of meaningless statistics that prove Blake isn't fit to start for a varsity team, while Boykin's stats show we could've been favorites to win the Super Bowl if only we'd tried to jam his square peg into our round hole sooner. Even after hearing this stuff all season, it's still a wonder to behold.
i honestly think Blake gets a bit of a raw deal at times. I mean I don't want him starting but he did come up with some big plays this year. Honestly, while we did allow a good amount of yards this year on passing, we also created more turnovers too which was something that we had been lacking in recent years.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season - Page 4 EmptyMon Feb 08, 2016 10:46 am

ImmaculateGreenePolamalu wrote:
Steel Peon wrote:
rellimie wrote:

i honestly think Blake gets a bit of a raw deal at times. I mean I don't want him starting but he did come up with some big plays this year. Honestly, while we did allow a good amount of yards this year on passing, we also created more turnovers too which was something that we had been lacking in recent years.

Watch his technique with somebody that knows a bit of DB play and its sloppy.  Watch the receptions allowed and the tackles missed and its some of the worst in the NFL.

Watch the INT he made on McCarron's underthrow and remember.  "even a broken clock is correct 2 times a day".

Sure, safety help isn't what it used to be and the pass rush from OLB's isn't up to the standard....but deciding you are OK with a sub-standard talent in Blake is no different than thinking you are OK with Brandon Weeden as your starting QB.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season   Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season
Page 4 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next