Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeElephant in the room - Page 2 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Elephant in the room

Go down 
+9
El-Gonzo Jackson
rellimie
DesertSteel
SteelCity4Life
Vis
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu
OX1947
KeepHarrisonTilHes92
WCSteeler
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
pczach

pczach

Elephant in the room - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elephant in the room   Elephant in the room - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 10, 2016 10:24 am

WCSteeler wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
WCSteeler wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
KeepHarrisonTilHes92 wrote:
I don't think so. Not this draft.

I like the idea of drafting and grooming like Favre/Rodgers by the last Qb prospect I wanted to do that with is Bortles and obviously that wasn't gonna happen.

Ben's been unlucky this year but drafting a QB seems knee jerk.

I was thinking the same and agree with this statement.

That being said, I wonder what happens if Kevin Hogan is still on the board when the Steelers draft in say the 3rd or 4th round??  Still think too many other needs like CB. S, OLB, OG, TE, etc.
The Steelers need another LB? Colbert is that you?

James Harrison has 1 more year of limited action, Jarvis Jones isn't working out to be more than a role player.  Unless you are counting on Dupree and Chickillo, they probably need more depth at OLB.
The Depth at LB is far deeper than any other position on this team, no more picks used on that position for a couple of years please

Timmons is also going to be a huge cap hit next year. He may not be around next year as well. This is life when you run a 3-4 defense. You need a ton of LB's.

We're not making this stuff up. When you combine Timmons, with Harrison being an old man, and Jarvis Jones possibly gone....how do you not need linebackers?

pczach

PostSubject: Re: Elephant in the room   Elephant in the room - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 10, 2016 10:31 am

Steel Peon wrote:
WCSteeler wrote:
Is there any question that the Steelers need to Draft/acquire a QB to back Ben up and give this team the security they desperately need?

I pulled for Jones to get a chance early on, but now he's clearly no substitute for #7. Jones might win us a regular season game, but he's no contender to win it all. In fact, I'd prefer our previous back-ups, Batch and Leftwich, over Landry, so your line of thinking isn't at all out of the question.

I've never been the biggest Landry Jones fan, but I'm not going to throw him under the bus because he came into the game in a downpour and threw a big interception late. I think maybe there is some overreaction because of the intensity of the playoff game.

I don't know if Jones is the answer at backup. I still don't know enough about him as a player, but I don't want to crush the guy for one throw in a monsoon trying to win the game in his first playoff action.

I think we need to cut him some slack. Nobody is a true replacement for Ben. How can they be?

Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Elephant in the room   Elephant in the room - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 10, 2016 10:40 am

WCSteeler wrote:
rellimie wrote:
WCSteeler wrote:

I like the idea of drafting and grooming like Favre/Rodgers by the last Qb prospect I wanted to do that with is Bortles and obviously that wasn't gonna happen.

Even after seeing what Jones has to offer you are willing to allow him to be the #2 QB on a team that sees the backup so often?

Which team would that be?

The past 3 years Ben started 44 of 48 games.

Where are all these games Ben misses?
And that makes a serviceable backup QB less of a necessity? Don't let the outcome of the game make you forget what Jones did/didn't do.

Name an NFL team that has a starting playoff caliber QB as their backup. Hell, not every NFL team has a starting caliber QB period.
Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: Elephant in the room   Elephant in the room - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 10, 2016 10:55 am

rellimie wrote:
WCSteeler wrote:
rellimie wrote:
WCSteeler wrote:

Even after seeing what Jones has to offer you are willing to allow him to be the #2 QB on a team that sees the backup so often?

And that makes a serviceable backup QB less of a necessity? Don't let the outcome of the game make you forget what Jones did/didn't do.

Name an NFL team that has a starting playoff caliber QB as their backup.  Hell, not every NFL team has a starting caliber QB period.  
I think we were spoiled by Batch for years but I have to say, we've gone 3-2 with Vick and Jones this year and that really would have been 4-1 if Scobee could kick. I think we do an as good job as any team I've seen with the backup. As for Jones, I don't know what one realistically expected. It was wet and he obviously wasn't ready. I'm okay with evaluating our back-up QB situation but I don't think it's time to panic since as you or someone else said, Ben's started 44/48 of his last games.
Back to top Go down
WCSteeler

PostSubject: Re: Elephant in the room   Elephant in the room - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 10, 2016 10:56 am

rellimie wrote:
WCSteeler wrote:
rellimie wrote:
WCSteeler wrote:

Name an NFL team that has a starting playoff caliber QB as their backup.  Hell, not every NFL team has a starting caliber QB period.  
Who's talking about a starting caliber QB? Read what I wrote "a serviceable backup" how does that translate to a Starter?
Back to top Go down
Vis

Vis

PostSubject: Re: Elephant in the room   Elephant in the room - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 10, 2016 11:01 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
WCSteeler wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
WCSteeler wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:

That being said, I wonder what happens if Kevin Hogan is still on the board when the Steelers draft in say the 3rd or 4th round??  Still think too many other needs like CB. S, OLB, OG, TE, etc.

James Harrison has 1 more year of limited action, Jarvis Jones isn't working out to be more than a role player.  Unless you are counting on Dupree and Chickillo, they probably need more depth at OLB.
The Depth at LB is far deeper than any other position on this team, no more picks used on that position for a couple of years please

Jarvis Jones, Bud Dupree and Arthur Moats are not really quality depth.  Don't be surprised when it happens.

Timmons was a bust his rookie year. Dupree will make strides next year.

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Elephant in the room   Elephant in the room - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 10, 2016 11:32 am

Vis wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
WCSteeler wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
WCSteeler wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:

Jarvis Jones, Bud Dupree and Arthur Moats are not really quality depth.  Don't be surprised when it happens.

Timmons was a bust his rookie year.  Dupree will make strides next year.  

Timmons was called a bust his first 3 years, but who's counting?
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Elephant in the room   Elephant in the room - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 10, 2016 11:41 am

Landry Jones will be the #2 next year. He's a good backup and will do a good job filling in for the franchise QB for spot duty. I get that the pick last night looked bad, but asking to draft another QB for Ben's backup because of one throw is probably an over-reaction.

I'll even go as far as to say that pick was the right throw ... just a fraction too late. Wheaton was open early in the pattern, but Burfict was able to get over there by the time the ball was thrown. And that's what happens to backup QBs who have had little-to-no reps with the starters during the week, who is asked to get his freezing cold ass off the bench in the forth quarter during a driving rain storm to win the game.
Back to top Go down
WCSteeler

PostSubject: Re: Elephant in the room   Elephant in the room - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 10, 2016 12:04 pm

kirklandrules wrote:
Landry Jones will be the #2 next year. He's a good backup and will do a good job filling in for the franchise QB for spot duty. I get that the pick last night looked bad, but asking to draft another QB for Ben's backup because of one throw is probably an over-reaction.

I'll even go as far as to say that pick was the right throw ... just a fraction too late. Wheaton was open early in the pattern, but Burfict was able to get over there by the time the ball was thrown. And that's what happens to backup QBs who have had little-to-no reps with the starters during the week, who is asked to get his freezing cold ass off the bench in the forth quarter during a driving rain storm to win the game.
I have always been a Landry Jones supporter but the man is in his 3rd season and the Steelers picked up Mike Vick following injuries so that tells me they don't trust him. Coming off the bench cold, in the rain and with a ton of pressure is tough but is part of the job. Jones was 2-5 for 11 yards and 1 isn't that should have cost the Steelers the game but thankfully didn't, Jones has enough NFL experience to be better than his numbers show but I wouldn't trust him the next time the Steelers need 40-50 yards to set up a field goal
Back to top Go down
OX1947

OX1947

PostSubject: Re: Elephant in the room   Elephant in the room - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 10, 2016 12:30 pm

SteelCity4Life wrote:
WCSteeler wrote:
OX1947 wrote:
Jones played well in relief. Thats what good back ups do. But typically back ups are back ups for a reason. Franchise QBs do not grow on trees. Especially ones who can do what Ben did today. I honestly think Favre and Air McNair would be the only players besides big ben that could have done what happen at the end.
Jones played well? He threw what should have been the game ending INT, expect better my friend.

Exactly. Jones is cool as a person and better than Vick but he throws picks at the worst time.

I meant before, during the season.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Elephant in the room   Elephant in the room - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Elephant in the room
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2