Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeWhitlock: Mike Tomlin escapes criticism ‘because he’s black’ Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Whitlock: Mike Tomlin escapes criticism ‘because he’s black’

Go down 
+14
pczach
El-Gonzo Jackson
fer69
SteelerFreak58
IowaSteeler927
steelcityboyz
The_Joker
QueenstownPa
Fire Arians
Atlanta Dan
SteelersNorth
Steel Peon
harrison'samonster
Hawaii 5-0
18 posters
AuthorMessage
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

Whitlock: Mike Tomlin escapes criticism ‘because he’s black’ Empty
PostSubject: Whitlock: Mike Tomlin escapes criticism ‘because he’s black’   Whitlock: Mike Tomlin escapes criticism ‘because he’s black’ EmptyThu Jan 14, 2016 1:20 pm

Jason Whitlock: Mike Tomlin escapes criticism ‘because he’s black’

Written by Jesse Reed

Is Mike Tomlin escaping national media criticism because he’s black?

Jason Whitlock of FOX Sports sure thinks so.

“Mike Tomlin is the most coddled coach, perhaps in the history of professional sports,” Whitlock said, appearing on The Herd Wednesday. “He is untouchable, and it’s inappropriate. I think the guy is talented, I think he’s done a good job, but he’s not above reproach.”

Whitlock then talked about how his assistant coaches were “completely out of control” in the AFC wild card game against the Cincinnati Bengals.

While most of the negative attention stemming from the embarrassment of a contest was tilted towards Marvin Lewis’ gang, there is no doubt Tomlin and his crew deserve plenty of criticism.

Indeed, two of his assistants, Mike Munchak (pulling the hair of Reggie Nelson) and Joey Porter (jawing at Bengals players during the injury time out when Antonio Brown was on the ground), were involved in altercations with Bengals players in the game.

“He’s clueless, and that’s why his assistant coaches are clueless,” Whitlock said.

Both coaches are facing potential discipline from the league for their actions.

Another incident that was brought up during the discussion with Colin Cowherd was Tomlin’s infamous sideline trip of Jacoby Jones.

The problem with Whitlock’s claim is that Tomlin’s counterpart from the wild card game is also a man of color, and Lewis has faced criticism aplenty — especially since Saturday’s debacle.

If it’s about race, then why would Tomlin be “coddled,” as Whitlock says, while Lewis gets pounded?

Perhaps it’s about something else. Whatever the case may be, Whitlock is on to something when he points out Tomlin’s relative lack of national criticism. Of course, maybe winning a Super Bowl has that effect on a coach.

http://sportsnaut.com/2016/01/jason-whitlock-mike-tomlin-escapes-criticism-because-hes-black/
Back to top Go down
harrison'samonster

harrison'samonster

PostSubject: Re: Whitlock: Mike Tomlin escapes criticism ‘because he’s black’   Whitlock: Mike Tomlin escapes criticism ‘because he’s black’ EmptyThu Jan 14, 2016 1:27 pm

like I said before, there are just too many people on sports talk shows who have no business being there.  Add to that people are obsessed with thinking because a person is good at one thing like football, they are at least knowledgeable enough in another area to speak about it.

Same thing with movie stars, just because they are famous and rich doesn't mean they need to tell us how to live our lives. And scientists, who say they're working for us, but we all know they want to rule the world.

Steel Peon

PostSubject: Re: Whitlock: Mike Tomlin escapes criticism ‘because he’s black’   Whitlock: Mike Tomlin escapes criticism ‘because he’s black’ EmptyThu Jan 14, 2016 1:49 pm

If Tomlin is actually receiving favoritism from the media, as this dim bulb is claiming, then could it be that he's simply a likable guy? Marvin Lewis is black and tons of commentators are calling for him to be fired, so to suggest it's a "black thing" is pretty thick-headed.

Edit: I didn't read the entire article before I constructed my response, so I didn't realize they basically said the same thing.

PostSubject: Re: Whitlock: Mike Tomlin escapes criticism ‘because he’s black’   Whitlock: Mike Tomlin escapes criticism ‘because he’s black’ EmptyThu Jan 14, 2016 2:00 pm

I'm openly saying I didn't read the article I skimmed it.

So Munchak can't protect himself from a guy coming at him like a freight train and said player also shoves him but its Munchaks fault he has freakishly long hair? get real

The Porter thing I can sort of agree with as he really had no reason to be on the field. In saying that what's Adam "I like to repeadedly break the law" Jones doing running and 'jawing' with Porter if his boy Burfict was right there?
So in the end you should be blaming both Porter for having no reason to be on the field and PacMan for just being a stooge which is what he's best at lol

As always the media will spin it the way they want to spin it.
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Whitlock: Mike Tomlin escapes criticism ‘because he’s black’   Whitlock: Mike Tomlin escapes criticism ‘because he’s black’ EmptyThu Jan 14, 2016 2:03 pm

Jason Whitlock is a troll

Earlier this week Whitlock said Tomlin and Lewis were going to be singled out for criticism because they are black Whitlock: Mike Tomlin escapes criticism ‘because he’s black’ 1401235891

The Bengals and the Stealers represented what bigots think professional football would look like if you turn over control to too many black coaches. The conversation today among the billionaires running the NFL and the white marketers who advise them on how to promote their product is likely focused on eliminating the AFC North element from football.

Tomlin and Lewis better wake up.

More wisdom in that column from Whitlock

I root for Marvin Lewis. He’s my favorite coach

http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?/topic/78815-jason-whitlock-mike-tomlin-marvin-lewis-owe-us-an-apology/

As far as Whitlock being the standard bearer for journalists who bravely confront racial issues, ESPN canned him after he botched his appointed as editor-in-chief for The Undefeated, which was to be ESPN's "Black Grantland"

Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Whitlock: Mike Tomlin escapes criticism ‘because he’s black’   Whitlock: Mike Tomlin escapes criticism ‘because he’s black’ EmptyThu Jan 14, 2016 3:09 pm

Jason Whitlock needs to escape obesity
Back to top Go down
QueenstownPa
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Whitlock: Mike Tomlin escapes criticism ‘because he’s black’   Whitlock: Mike Tomlin escapes criticism ‘because he’s black’ EmptyThu Jan 14, 2016 5:12 pm

How long will this ignorance be allowed to fester?

The amount of "black" discussion at this point every year is ludicrous! When vacant coaching spots are being filled the amount of discussion about blacks is moronic! I listened all day to black sportscasters talk about why this black guy this and that black guy that; blacks should be given this or that; there are not enough black assistant coaches; the Rooney rule is not enough...............for God sake, grow up!

Black sportscasters need to STFU about "blacks" and talk about sports!
Back to top Go down
The_Joker

The_Joker

PostSubject: Re: Whitlock: Mike Tomlin escapes criticism ‘because he’s black’   Whitlock: Mike Tomlin escapes criticism ‘because he’s black’ EmptyThu Jan 14, 2016 6:12 pm

Keep this racial divide bullshit out of my favorite sport, media dickwads.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!
Back to top Go down
steelcityboyz

steelcityboyz

PostSubject: Re: Whitlock: Mike Tomlin escapes criticism ‘because he’s black’   Whitlock: Mike Tomlin escapes criticism ‘because he’s black’ EmptyThu Jan 14, 2016 6:20 pm

Whitlock is a tool.. He loves the race card. I don't read his garbage.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Whitlock: Mike Tomlin escapes criticism ‘because he’s black’   Whitlock: Mike Tomlin escapes criticism ‘because he’s black’ EmptyThu Jan 14, 2016 6:46 pm

Jason Whitlock is a fat halfwit hack of a writer that spews inflammatory hot garbage in a shallow attempt at getting himself attention. He's no different than Mark Madden.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Whitlock: Mike Tomlin escapes criticism ‘because he’s black’   Whitlock: Mike Tomlin escapes criticism ‘because he’s black’ EmptyThu Jan 14, 2016 8:46 pm

This is what happens when you have 10 different sports channels on 24 hours a day seven days a week and they need to find something to fill air time. Nothing ever good comes of it.
Back to top Go down
fer69

fer69

PostSubject: Re: Whitlock: Mike Tomlin escapes criticism ‘because he’s black’   Whitlock: Mike Tomlin escapes criticism ‘because he’s black’ EmptyFri Jan 15, 2016 12:23 am

Tomlin is black!?!? Shocked

F@(k Wallace.. Throw it to Miller
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Whitlock: Mike Tomlin escapes criticism ‘because he’s black’   Whitlock: Mike Tomlin escapes criticism ‘because he’s black’ EmptyFri Jan 15, 2016 1:39 am

Whitlock is trying to be the black Skip Bayless. Whitlock: Mike Tomlin escapes criticism ‘because he’s black’ 1505004552

Tomlin has been to 2 super bowls (With Cowhers players) and won 1, so yes maybe he's got some respect banked. No different than Tom Coughlin, who really got 2 Super bowls on teams without great regular season performances. Other than that, the Giants have been bad for a lot of his tenure. Yet Coughlin escaped a ton of criticism.

I like some of Whitlock's work, but I still rather listen to Stephen A. Smith ( or Stephen B. Smith) if somebody has to bring up race. Bomani Jones is keepin it real more than Quitlock at this point.
Back to top Go down
pczach

pczach

PostSubject: Re: Whitlock: Mike Tomlin escapes criticism ‘because he’s black’   Whitlock: Mike Tomlin escapes criticism ‘because he’s black’ EmptyFri Jan 15, 2016 5:46 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Whitlock is trying to be the black Skip Bayless.  Whitlock: Mike Tomlin escapes criticism ‘because he’s black’ 1505004552

Tomlin has been to 2 super bowls (With Cowhers players) and won 1, so yes maybe he's got some respect banked.  No different than Tom Coughlin, who really got 2 Super bowls on teams without great regular season performances.  Other than that, the Giants have been bad for a lot of his tenure.  Yet Coughlin escaped a ton of criticism.

I like some of Whitlock's work, but I still rather listen to Stephen A. Smith ( or Stephen B. Smith) if somebody has to bring up race.  Bomani Jones is keepin it real more than Quitlock at this point.

Unfortunately, there will always be racism in the hearts of many people of all races.

In this case, a black man is now getting too much credit for past performance?

I'm telling you......you can't win anymore. The media is always pushing an agenda. Also, there are so many voices that many of the people that don't have prominent positions have to scream to be heard. They are willing to say anything to attract attention to themselves, and are in the business of creating problems where none exist to promote themselves.

It's pretty sad. The good news is that it's easy to dismiss someone once you identify a guy like Whitlock. He's shown himself as a shameless self-promoter, and I no longer consider him relevant.

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Whitlock: Mike Tomlin escapes criticism ‘because he’s black’   Whitlock: Mike Tomlin escapes criticism ‘because he’s black’ EmptyFri Jan 15, 2016 6:29 am

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
Jason Whitlock is a fat halfwit hack of a writer that spews inflammatory hot garbage in a shallow attempt at getting himself attention. He's no different than Mark Madden.

I couldn't pick Whitlock out of a crowd but if he is like Madden then I already do not like him.Besides he sounds like an idiot douchebag judging from his comments.
Back to top Go down
SteelCityUnderground

SteelCityUnderground

PostSubject: Re: Whitlock: Mike Tomlin escapes criticism ‘because he’s black’   Whitlock: Mike Tomlin escapes criticism ‘because he’s black’ EmptyFri Jan 15, 2016 10:32 am

Added my two cents this morning: Jason Whitlock Claims Mike Tomlin Isn't Criticized Because He's Black

If the headline doesn't grab your attention, I don't know what will.

That is what Jason Whitlock of FOX Sports was counting on, when he claimed that people are afraid to criticize Steelers Head Coach Mike Tomlin:

Mike Tomlin is the most coddled coach, perhaps in the history of professional sports... Because he's black...

Mike Tomlin is doing stupid things. He needs to be reigned in and criticized and treated like every other coach in the National Football League... He is not above reproach and his team and assistant coaches, out of control on Saturday, and then comes out after the game and says I thought we represented what AFC North football is all about. That's a joke. He's clueless and that's why his assistant coaches and players are clueless."

Mr. Whitlock: Do you truly believe what you're saying, or are you piggybacking on the controversial game from almost one week ago?

I'd say it's a bit of both.

This is not the first time that Whitlock has made insensitive racial comments, even against his own culture. After leaving ESPN, Whitlock called a former co-worker Robert Jackson "an insult to black intelligence." (Jackson, like Whitlock, is also an African-American.) Whitlock also took to Twitter, making an insensitive Tweet about then New York Knick Jeremy Lin, which he later had to apologize for.

This could be another one of those situations, as Whitlock has apparently never been around an NFL franchise after a loss. Even with the resume that Mike Tomlin has, he has been far from criticism in the Steel City. So much so that a Twitter hashtag #FireTomlin surfaces after every controversial approach he takes with the team, be it another coach's decision, or the team, who should be taking the blame...

Read More: http://www.steelcityunderground.com/2016/01/15/jason-whitlock-claims-mike-tomlin-isnt-criticized-because-hes-black/

http://steelcityunderground.com
QueenstownPa
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Whitlock: Mike Tomlin escapes criticism ‘because he’s black’   Whitlock: Mike Tomlin escapes criticism ‘because he’s black’ EmptyFri Jan 15, 2016 10:39 am

The point is that racism is idiotic and shows nothing but ignorance. The pendulum swung one way for a long time and has now swung the other way for a long time. It's time the pendulum stop being fueled and let it come to rest in the middle.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Whitlock: Mike Tomlin escapes criticism ‘because he’s black’   Whitlock: Mike Tomlin escapes criticism ‘because he’s black’ EmptyFri Jan 15, 2016 1:17 pm

If the Steelers win on Sunday, Mike Tomlin should get a 38-year contract extension.

— Steve Braband (@stevebraband) January 15, 2016
Back to top Go down
pczach

pczach

PostSubject: Re: Whitlock: Mike Tomlin escapes criticism ‘because he’s black’   Whitlock: Mike Tomlin escapes criticism ‘because he’s black’ EmptyFri Jan 15, 2016 8:51 pm

The definition of success is being judged by what you've accomplished, and building equity in the minds and hearts of people regardless of the color of your skin. The fact that this is even being talked about is a total win when it comes to racial discussions, and frankly, the way things should always be. This is exactly how everyone should be judged and evaluated, yet somehow it is turned into a negative.

His performance to this point has bought him trust with fans and the media, and he will get more slack in the present and in the future because he has already led a team to two super bowls, winning one.

This is exactly how Tomlin runs his locker room and what he tells his players. Not everyone will be treated equal. They will be treated fairly, but not the same. Players respect that.

Apparently, people have noticed and wish they had someone like him coaching their teams.

Maybe we are more colorblind as a society than many have led us to believe.

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Whitlock: Mike Tomlin escapes criticism ‘because he’s black’   Whitlock: Mike Tomlin escapes criticism ‘because he’s black’ EmptyFri Jan 15, 2016 8:55 pm

I will say this, Jason Whitlock definitely doesn't read posts on the Steelers forums.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Whitlock: Mike Tomlin escapes criticism ‘because he’s black’   Whitlock: Mike Tomlin escapes criticism ‘because he’s black’ EmptyFri Jan 15, 2016 9:23 pm

Jason Whitlock's motive behind this attention getting statement is to bring more attention to himself.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Whitlock: Mike Tomlin escapes criticism ‘because he’s black’   Whitlock: Mike Tomlin escapes criticism ‘because he’s black’ EmptySat Jan 16, 2016 1:51 pm

FrancoLambert wrote:
Jason Whitlock's motive behind this attention getting statement is to bring more attention to himself.

Agreed! He learned that from Skip Bayless.
Back to top Go down
WCSteeler

PostSubject: Re: Whitlock: Mike Tomlin escapes criticism ‘because he’s black’   Whitlock: Mike Tomlin escapes criticism ‘because he’s black’ EmptySat Jan 16, 2016 3:58 pm

Whitlock should tune into a Pittsburgh radio show once in a while, he is roasted plenty and it's warranted in my opinion.I'll be the first to admit I'm not a Mike Tomlin fan but his (Whitlock) comments are stupid and quite irritating. Do I think Tomlin has total control of the team or the assistant coaches, absolutely not but few Head Coaches do.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Whitlock: Mike Tomlin escapes criticism ‘because he’s black’   Whitlock: Mike Tomlin escapes criticism ‘because he’s black’ Empty

Back to top Go down

Whitlock: Mike Tomlin escapes criticism ‘because he’s black’
Page 1 of 1