Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeThoughts Going Forward to Next Season Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Thoughts Going Forward to Next Season

Go down 
+5
SoCalFan
ImperialFan
DesertSteel
Stryker
Fire Arians
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

Thoughts Going Forward to Next Season Empty
PostSubject: Thoughts Going Forward to Next Season   Thoughts Going Forward to Next Season EmptyMon Jan 18, 2016 12:39 pm

First off, what a season. Wasn't the best outcome, but I'm really proud of how this team handled adversity through the year. I haven't seen a Steeler team mature this much over the course of the season, and I think this could be something to really build on in the future. A lot of young players are starting to assume leadership roles (especially Shazier, Tuitt, Heyward, and Bryant), and I think that in itself is huge.

Not making excuses for injuries, but just pointing out how big missing players like Bell and Brown are. Wheaton really struggled as a PR, and could have easily killed our season. He failed to field a couple of punts, where if fair caught, could have gotten us the ball at the 20-30 yard line instead of inside the 10 a few times. AB wouldn't have let those go. I won't put any blame on Toussaint, he played much better than anyone could have expected out of a 3rd string practice squadder. I honestly think the kid has potential to be a good #2 RB when Williams' contract expires with us. He's a decent runner, good pass catcher, and is awesome at pass blocking. He could be one of those mewelde moore type of backs we've been missing since, well, mewelde moore Thoughts Going Forward to Next Season 1797695198

Speaking of Wheaton, a lot of people say we probably can't afford to keep both Wheaton and Bryant. I was torn on who to pick because I think both were good, but now it's a no brainer. We gotta keep Bryant if we have to choose. Wheaton showed me that he's a choker when it's a big game on the line. He dropped a TD pass and totally shit the bed in the PR game. Bryant looked near unstoppable against the #1 D and honestly I think he's more dangerous as a big play threat than AB himself. Also wasn't intimidated by the big stage. Something about wheaton, it looks like the guy has the talent but no confidence.

Rookies Coates and James looked awesome. Coates needs to work on his route running, but after the catch the kid is dangerous. He looks every bit as explosive as Bryant, and I honestly think he's got similar potential. I want to see this kid on offense next year because he's a big play waiting to happen.

As much as I say it, I think Miller is in his last years, or almost done. I love the guy, but he just doesn't seem to have the speed to cause separation, or get many yards after the catch any more. He probably has a year or 2 left because he's still a good blocker, but in the passing game, James looked like everything Miller used to be, that he isn't anymore. James has the size and speed to win the coverage battles, and has a couple of steps on Miller. I'd like to see him more involved with the passing game next year as well.

The arrow's definitely up for the offense, but on defense, I'm a little more worried. Yes they are showing signs of improvement  & at times, looked like the old steelers defense. However, a lot of question marks as who we can keep. William Gay, Boykin are free agents and I don't know if we have the $$ to keep both. Boykin might be jaded because he didn't get much of a chance to play this year. Then again playing for a coach who isn't a bed shitter like Chip Kelly might be a factor and he could stay, who knows. We can't afford to lose Gay, but after the last couple years he may want more money.

Jarvis Jones, I don't know what to think of the guy. He's not a good pass rusher, but he's solid at stopping the run and decent in coverage. I don't think he's worth the 8 million 5th year option, but I wouldn't be against trying to sign this guy to a cheaper 3 year deal. He'll probably test FA if that's the case, but I think our chances are decent at that. Lack of sacks won't make teams offer a great deal of cash for him.

Shazier is the new leader of this defense. As frustrating as it was to see him constantly on the injury report early in the season, it was awesome to watch this kid grow as a leader and playmaker. I think if this guy stays healthy, he's going to be a special player. I wish they'd have a stat for 3rd down stops, cause honestly I think he leads the team in that category. His closing speed is just crazy for a LB and he's a sure tackler. Later in the season, his coverage improved a lot, I think this dude's going to be the next Brian Urlacher type of player.

I'm hoping Golson and Grant could contribute next year. If they can, and James/Coates can build on what they've shown so far, the 2015 draft class could really be something.
Back to top Go down
Stryker

Stryker

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts Going Forward to Next Season   Thoughts Going Forward to Next Season EmptyMon Jan 18, 2016 12:43 pm

We need to hit a home run in this upcoming draft. Maybe we can get something going in FA.

Wheaton had that one standout game this season, but I've been pretty underwhelmed with him. Bryant needs to work on catching those easy passes. Coates looks good.

"It was time to go to the mattresses if you will" - Mike Tomlin

The worst tragedy in the world is running out of a pack of Luckies

Last edited by Stryker on Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:46 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts Going Forward to Next Season   Thoughts Going Forward to Next Season EmptyMon Jan 18, 2016 12:45 pm

Stryker wrote:
We need to hit a home run in this upcoming draft.

2015's draft looks like one. I like what I see from Bud Dupree so far, and Coates/James show some real potential. If either Golson or Grant can become starter material, it could be one of the best drafts we had in a while.
Back to top Go down
DesertSteel

DesertSteel

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts Going Forward to Next Season   Thoughts Going Forward to Next Season EmptyMon Jan 18, 2016 7:01 pm

Good analysis. I can't say that I won't put "any blame" on Toussaint. His fumble was the turning point that ended the season. I don't put all the blame on him, but he deserves some.

I think that the D's arrow is pointing up. Shazier is only going to get better and between Golson and the 1st round, I'm optimistic for the secondary.
Back to top Go down
ImperialFan

ImperialFan

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts Going Forward to Next Season   Thoughts Going Forward to Next Season EmptyMon Jan 18, 2016 7:15 pm

Oh shit i just made a post about this, whoops lol

SoCalFan

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts Going Forward to Next Season   Thoughts Going Forward to Next Season EmptyMon Jan 18, 2016 7:24 pm

^^^ *thread

I am so pumped about the upcoming draft, we have our future tight end in James, we have receivers galore, we have healthy O-linemen coming back and the guys that stepped in proved worthy like A-Villanueva... I wouldn't mind seeing our first 3 rounds going corner, safety, defensive end!

Last edited by SoCalFan on Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BKAnthem

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts Going Forward to Next Season   Thoughts Going Forward to Next Season EmptyMon Jan 18, 2016 7:38 pm

We need a Premier CB in this draft
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts Going Forward to Next Season   Thoughts Going Forward to Next Season EmptyMon Jan 18, 2016 8:05 pm

Anyone else think Miller might be done? He looks super slow and lately hasn't been catching the ball. He's struggling big time to create any kind of separation. I'm thinking there's a chance even by next year that James is gonna be the guy
Back to top Go down
rellimie
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts Going Forward to Next Season   Thoughts Going Forward to Next Season EmptyMon Jan 18, 2016 9:00 pm

Fire Arians wrote:
Anyone else think Miller might be done? He looks super slow and lately hasn't been catching the ball. He's struggling big time to create any kind of separation. I'm thinking there's a chance even by next year that James is gonna be the guy

Miller caught 20 of 24 passes thrown to him against the Ravens this year.

Also still best blocking TE on the team.

Still has a role.
Back to top Go down
ImperialFan

ImperialFan

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts Going Forward to Next Season   Thoughts Going Forward to Next Season EmptyMon Jan 18, 2016 9:03 pm

Fire Arians wrote:

James is good, he should get more playing time next season.

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts Going Forward to Next Season   Thoughts Going Forward to Next Season EmptyMon Jan 18, 2016 9:35 pm

FA.....agree with many of your points.

The injuries and games/seasons lost by our starters were too much to overcome.
I'd also take Bryant over Wheaton for the same reasons you mentioned.
Heath is very close to the end...you nailed it.....no YAC and no separation.
Secondary help is needed....we all know that.
Shazier is a beast in the making...great speed and has a nose for the ball.
The arrow is clearly pointed up for next season.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts Going Forward to Next Season   Thoughts Going Forward to Next Season EmptyMon Jan 18, 2016 11:10 pm

Fire Arians wrote:

I think he has 2 seasons left, but he is definitely on the downward arc of his career. faster LB's like Trevethan this week and Vincent Rey last week pretty much limit his impact in the passing game.

I'm still hoping that an offseason for LT Walton will be a good thing. He's a big athletic guy, but looks to need to put some more muscle on his frame to be a solid rotational DE.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts Going Forward to Next Season   Thoughts Going Forward to Next Season Empty

Back to top Go down

Thoughts Going Forward to Next Season
Page 1 of 1