Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeAn informed look at the Steelers' plan for their 21 free agents Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

An informed look at the Steelers' plan for their 21 free agents

Go down 
+2
jak341
Hawaii 5-0
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

An informed look at the Steelers' plan for their 21 free agents Empty
PostSubject: An informed look at the Steelers' plan for their 21 free agents   An informed look at the Steelers' plan for their 21 free agents EmptyMon Jan 25, 2016 4:39 pm

An informed look at the Pittsburgh Steelers' plan for their 21 free agents

by JIM WEXELL

Just showing up is most of the battle and Jim Wexell's been showing up for 21 years. Here's his take on the Steelers' plan for their potential free agents.

The department heads for the Pittsburgh Steelers will soon meet with the Rooneys to formulate a plan for free agency, but we in the media have no reason to wait because we already know everything.

Or some things.

Well, some of us know a few things we've been told about particular players over the last year or so.

Not that one coach's or personnel man's opinion will stand for what comes out of the upcoming meeting, but it makes for informed and educated guesses. So here's my look at how the Steelers will handle their 21-man class of potential free agents:

SS Will Allen -- Coming off a very productive season but will be 34 on opening day. The team can put him on the backburner until they see what else comes their way at the position.

OL Kelvin Beachum -- If you ask anyone in a position of power, they'll tell you Beachum is a definite keeper. But in my opinion, Alejandro Villanueva locked up the starting left tackle position with his stunning improvement down the stretch. Beachum, the previous starter at left tackle, can also play guard, even at 303 pounds, and the coaches love his brains, heart and work ethic. If the medical heads agree (tore left ACL on Oct. 18), I expect the Steelers to make Beachum a priority for the left guard position. It will be up to him whether he wants to play there at a price that should be team-friendly, considering the medical question mark. There's little to no chance the Steelers will ask him to come back as a reserve, and even less chance they'll deem Villanueva a reserve as a healthy player with better size and potential.

CB Antwon Blake -- The Steelers didn't stick by Blake through his growing pains -- and broken hand -- just to let him leave without offering another contract. He's at least a core special-teamer, and possibly even more if they can't find an adequate replacement at cornerback. They'll have to offer him more than a minimum-wage contract, too, because someone else will.

CB Brandon Boykin -- His inability to grasp the defense is the reason, according to coaches, that he didn't play much until midseason. His mental error on third-and-12 against Denver won't help that perception either. While the Steelers aren't about to peg last year's second-round pick, Senquez Golson, as a slot-only corner without giving him a legitimate chance outside upon his return from a year-long stint on IR, coaches realize that the slot is a place where smart, instinctive and small corners usually end up. That will most likely keep their interest in Boykin below the rest of the league's, and Boykin will no doubt chase the better offer instead of fighting for scraps of playing time here again.

OG Ramon Foster -- So much to like about this six-year starting guard, but when I asked two different coaches over the last two seasons whether Beachum is a guy they'll always be looking to replace, the exact answer each time was "No, but Ramon Foster is." Yes, the Steelers want more mobility at left guard, and my belief is they'll look to Beachum first. Foster is the fallback. It's unlikely they'll sign both.

ILB Terence Garvin -- A restricted free agent, the possibility exists that they won't tender Garvin and instead attempt to bring him back at minimum wage and save about $900,000. He's No. 5 in a four-man group with Jordan Zumwalt back in the mix next camp.

CB William Gay -- Coaches say he's easily the smartest defensive back they have. But he's 31 years old and the Steelers aren't going to break their bank account for him, and therein lies the danger because a couple other defensive coordinators out there -- Dick LeBeau and Ray Horton -- know and appreciate Gay and might do just that.

DE Clifton Geathers -- The Steelers liked what they saw out from this massive man last spring, but a week into training camp he could barely move, and with that gray patch of hair the then-27-year-old looked like an old man hobbling around the St. Vincent campus. Miniumum-wage, one-year offer if anything.

S Robert Golden -- Might be the first guy they attempt to bring back. At 25, he showed he could play both safety spots, the dime spot in the box, and was the captain of the special teams. His coaches love him and he looked like a guy who can start, and his time may be now.

QB Bruce Gradkowski -- Will have to show there's some life left in an arm that forced him to IR in training camp. Well-liked by players, coaches and media, and since Pittsburgh's his hometown he's more likely to move into coaching or media next season.

WR Darrius Heyward-Bey -- Perfect No. 4 receiver because he has the attitude to understand that the No. 5, Sammie Coates, could move past him at any time. Only problem is that DHB showed enough as both a receiver and special-teamer this past season that the Steelers probably can't get away with offering him the one-year, minimum-wage deal he signed last year. Look for the Steelers to up the ante a bit this time around.

TE/FB Will Johnson -- An easy call for me. I bring Johnson back with a cheap two or three-year contract. Versatile, smart and plays a position that's looking at age issues.

G/C Doug Legursky -- Little room with Maurkice Pouncey coming back.

NT/DT Steve McLendon -- I see no signs of wear on the 30-year-old who plays a key position on a line that will be counting on the development of two unheralded youngsters for its depth next season. Has to be a top priority.

WR David Nelson -- Since they kept the 6-5 veteran on IR all season, expect him back.

ILB Sean Spence -- Like Garvin, shouldn't expect much of an offer with the depth at the position. Great attitude and work ethic but if another team makes a decent offer the Steelers probably won't match it.

OT Byron Stingily -- Was signed after Beachum's injury because of a past with position coach Mike Munchak. Remained on the roster even though the Steelers liked the practice squad tackle (Bloomsburg's Matt Feiler) enough to give him a futures contract last week. So I'm assuming Stingily can play a little.

DE/DT Cam Thomas -- Played only 14 snaps in the playoffs. Surely that can be replaced by L.T. Walton or Caushaud Lyons next season.

RB Jordan Todman -- Flashed legitimate quickness in the playoffs and deserves a bonus and multi-year, minimum-wage deal to serve as the No. 4 back, which is needed with DeAngelo Williams turning 33 and coming off a foot injury.

QB Mike Vick -- Tomlin will have to give up on the Chesapeake Bay product whom he's admired for years.

LS Greg Warren -- The ageless long-snapper is one of the best in the business. Keep those one-year deals a-comin'.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers/story/1635136-inside-look-at-steelers-free-agents
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: An informed look at the Steelers' plan for their 21 free agents   An informed look at the Steelers' plan for their 21 free agents EmptyMon Jan 25, 2016 5:09 pm

Good article and assessment. Some random thoughts:

S - Didn't know Golden was this close to being starting material. If we can get Allen as a backup, it may be good enough for now.

CBs - Unfortunately, I can see us rolling with Blake, Gay, Cockrell, and Golson as our starting CBs next year. Boykin moves on. This doesn't inspire much confidence.

ILB - I think Spence does us a solid and comes back at a discount. We stuck by him for years, and it's time to return the favor. Garvin is the odd man out here.

OLine - Agree. Beachum comes back, and Foster moves on (unless he takes a hometown discount).

RB - Todman or Fitz T. Either or, but not both. If it comes down to requiring a 3rd or 4th string running back again next year starting in a playoff game, the season is sunk anyway.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: An informed look at the Steelers' plan for their 21 free agents   An informed look at the Steelers' plan for their 21 free agents EmptyTue Jan 26, 2016 2:12 am

I pretty much agree with this analysis. I do like Todman over Toussaint. I think he is shifty and quicker.

I just hope we address the Blake situation by showing him the door.
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: An informed look at the Steelers' plan for their 21 free agents   An informed look at the Steelers' plan for their 21 free agents EmptyTue Jan 26, 2016 8:28 am

solardave wrote:
I pretty much agree with this analysis. I do like Todman over Toussaint. I think he is shifty and quicker.

I don't see anywhere that predicts us releasing Blake. Honestly, I don't care as he stays. I really don't want to see him lined up against the opposing teams #1 WR.
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: An informed look at the Steelers' plan for their 21 free agents   An informed look at the Steelers' plan for their 21 free agents EmptyTue Jan 26, 2016 10:45 am

jak341 wrote:
Good article and assessment. Some random thoughts:

S - Didn't know Golden was this close to being starting material. If we can get Allen as a backup, it may be good enough for now.

Honestly I thought he outplayed Allen during his time in.
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: An informed look at the Steelers' plan for their 21 free agents   An informed look at the Steelers' plan for their 21 free agents EmptyTue Jan 26, 2016 1:34 pm

Seems like the coaching staff believe Beachum can play LG. If so, re-sign him.

Golden will be back and will most likely start at SS next season unless they sign a vet safety or strike gold in the draft.

McLendon needs to be back. Underrated player.

solardave

PostSubject: Re: An informed look at the Steelers' plan for their 21 free agents   An informed look at the Steelers' plan for their 21 free agents EmptyWed Jan 27, 2016 2:46 am

jak341 wrote:
solardave wrote:

I don't see anywhere that predicts us releasing Blake. Honestly, I don't care as he stays. I really don't want to see him lined up against the opposing teams #1 WR.

Hell I don't want to see him lined up against a practice squad player. Dude can't cover anyone.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: An informed look at the Steelers' plan for their 21 free agents   An informed look at the Steelers' plan for their 21 free agents EmptyWed Jan 27, 2016 5:15 am

Beachum really loves this team, if you follow him on social media he's always talking Steelers football. He's a really bright young man, with a great attitude, and work ethic. I would definitely be saddened if they didn't keep him around. An O-Line comprised of Villanueva, Beachum, Pouncey, Decastro, and Gilbert could be scary good, like best in the league good. Beachum is very athletically gifted and could offer us better play at LG than Foster can. I really hope he sticks with the team and is willing to change position.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: An informed look at the Steelers' plan for their 21 free agents   An informed look at the Steelers' plan for their 21 free agents EmptyThu Jan 28, 2016 1:56 pm

William Gay Returning to Pittsburgh is No Sure Thing

Jan 27, 2016

An informed look at the Steelers' plan for their 21 free agents Www.foxsports.com_

For the past several off-season, I feel I’ve written way too much about the Steelers not selecting a cornerback in the first round. I’ll probably do the same this off-season.

I believe if the Steelers staff had their way, that they cornerback depth chart would look pretty similar in 2016 as it did in 2015. The exceptions being Brandon Boykin leaving, Cortez Allen being cut, and maybe one newcomer from free agency or the mid-rounds of the draft.

I’ve seen plenty of local Pittsburgh writers mention William Gay as the most likely free agent to return to the team in 2016.

I can see plenty of reasons why William Gay would want to stay in Pittsburgh, but I could also see just as many reasons for leaving.

The two biggest pros for staying in the Steelers organization have to be the chance at winning another championship, and his comfort in the scheme, locker room, and community.

That being said though, I think there may be more demand that people expect once Gay hits the open market. Two really strong possibilities to me are Cleveland and Tennessee…

In Tennessee, William Gay would be reunited with the man that’s been his defensive coordinator for most of his career; Dick Lebeau. The Titans have a need at cornerback with Perrish Cox not playing well last season. A veteran like Gay would also be a welcomed addition into a locker room that hasn’t had much experience winning like Gay has. The Titans also recently hired Deshea Townsend to coach their cornerbacks. There would be plenty of familiar faces in Tennessee.

William Gay has played under just 3 defensive coordinators in his career. Dick Lebeau for most of it, Keith Butler this season… and newly appointed Browns defensive coordinator Ray Horton. Horton coached Gay in Arizona in Gay’s lone season outside the Steelers franchise, and was Gay’s defensive back coach for some time in Pittsburgh as well. Cleveland has some talent at the cornerback position, but with a new coaching staff you often see teams bring in familiar faces.

Outside of those guys (Lebeau and Horton) being familiar with Gay, he also just had a really good season as a slot cornerback. There’s a reason you didn’t hear Gay’s name called very often (outside of the occasional pick 6 and ensuing celebration).

When playing in the slot, there are very few cornerbacks in the league that play as well as Gay has over the past several years. When he moves outside, his production isn’t as good but he’s still not a liability.

I really think if he wanted to, that Gay could demand a pretty decent final contract extension on the open market, and get more elsewhere than he would from the Steelers.

Plenty of fans think it’d be a forgone conclusion that Gay would rather play for a contender and a chance at another Superbowl ring. Think about it though. Sure, it’s probably every player’s dream to win a Superbowl, but Gay has already done that. What exactly does winning another one do for him personally? Getting 2 rings instead of 1 isn’t going to put Gay in the Hall of Fame, it’s not going to establish some legacy of an all-time great. He’ll be a solid contributor on a championship team.

I’m not trying to take anything away from Gay, it’s just winning another Superbowl doesn’t do a whole lot for him personally. He’s also not a guy that’s made a ton of money by NFL player standards in his career, and this is probably his last contract.

He’d be great to have back, but I wouldn’t bet my money on it.

http://steelcityblitz.com/2016/01/27/william-gay-returning-to-pittsburgh-is-no-sure-thing/
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: An informed look at the Steelers' plan for their 21 free agents   An informed look at the Steelers' plan for their 21 free agents EmptyThu Jan 28, 2016 2:00 pm

Pretty good argument for Gay not coming back.

This is going to be a long off season; is it July yet?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: An informed look at the Steelers' plan for their 21 free agents   An informed look at the Steelers' plan for their 21 free agents Empty

Back to top Go down

An informed look at the Steelers' plan for their 21 free agents
Page 1 of 1