Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers-by-position: TEs - Page 3 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers-by-position: TEs

Go down 
+14
BlackAndGold
kirklandrules
steelers5895
Fire Arians
Buddha Bus
stlrtruck
solardave
WCSteeler
kan_t
FrancoLambert
KeepHarrisonTilHes92
El-Gonzo Jackson
jak341
Hawaii 5-0
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Vis

Vis

Steelers-by-position: TEs - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steelers-by-position: TEs   Steelers-by-position: TEs - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 10, 2016 8:04 am

Vis wrote:
kan_t wrote:
Green's contract is 4 years $20M, $4.75M guaranteed (TBC).
Allen's contract is 4 years $29.4M, $16M guaranteed.
Coby Fleener's contract is 5 years $36M, $18M guaranteed.

I like the Green deal even more when you compare the market value.

Green's deal is low and SD, the team that knew him best, valued him below Gates in his waning years.  Is there some red flag that isn't well known that drove Green's value down?  

Googling, it seems to be his concussion history.

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Steelers-by-position: TEs   Steelers-by-position: TEs - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 10, 2016 11:36 am

Vis wrote:
Vis wrote:
kan_t wrote:
Green's contract is 4 years $20M, $4.75M guaranteed (TBC).
Allen's contract is 4 years $29.4M, $16M guaranteed.
Coby Fleener's contract is 5 years $36M, $18M guaranteed.

I like the Green deal even more when you compare the market value.

Green's deal is low and SD, the team that knew him best, valued him below Gates in his waning years.  Is there some red flag that isn't well known that drove Green's value down?  

Googling, it seems to be his concussion history.  

I think it's based on his production. Although Gates isn't the player he used to be, he's the player Rivers feels most comfortable with. He certainly looked good against the Steelers early in the season. Ben had Miller even though he wasn't the player from 5 years ago.

Of the list of players above, Green would rank 3rd in production behind Allen and Fleener. I wouldn't expect Green to fetch their type of money this year. But it's good for us as I think Green is very talented and went underutilized. Hopefully Ben pulls him in with his other receivers when they do their annual offseason get together.
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Steelers-by-position: TEs   Steelers-by-position: TEs - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 10, 2016 3:12 pm

Now this is an interesting little find. From ESPN's "Grading the free agents":

ESPN wrote:
Pittsburgh needed to add a tight end after missing out on Maxx Williams in last year's draft and seeing Heath Miller retire, likely in advance of what would have otherwise been his release by the team.

Could Heath been forced or nudged out?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14932572/grading-big-free-agent-deals-nfl
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Steelers-by-position: TEs   Steelers-by-position: TEs - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 10, 2016 4:00 pm

@MarkKaboly_Trib
Steelers are thrilled with possibilties that Ladarius Green and Jesse James will present in red zone especially with their size.

Steelers really liked Green coming out of college, I was told. Said he's hasn't come close to his potential yet.

Ladarius Green met with Tomlin in Pensacola yest. Said Tomlin called up Roethlisberger and put him on phone. "He knew my name," Green said

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Steelers-by-position: TEs   Steelers-by-position: TEs - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 10, 2016 4:01 pm

Green said he weighs 250

Green: "It wasnt too hard of a choice" to pick Steelers

Green said doesn't have concussion issues. Said they found it was just sinus problem. Did have surgery on ankle. Said will be ready for camp

Green on Heath. "When they came and played us all you would Heath in the background every time he would catch a pass.”

https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Last edited by BlackAndGold on Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Steelers-by-position: TEs   Steelers-by-position: TEs - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 10, 2016 4:05 pm

@DVEMike
Green thinks there will be enough footballs to go around with Steelers. "Even if there's not, you just want to be part of something great."

Green on why he joined Steelers: "Everybody knows the Steelers. You know the history behind the team. Everybody's seen the offense, as well"

https://twitter.com/DVEMike

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Steelers-by-position: TEs   Steelers-by-position: TEs - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 10, 2016 5:00 pm

jak341 wrote:
Now this is an interesting little find. From ESPN's "Grading the free agents":

ESPN wrote:
Pittsburgh needed to add a tight end after missing out on Maxx Williams in last year's draft and seeing Heath Miller retire, likely in advance of what would have otherwise been his release by the team.

Could Heath been forced or nudged out?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14932572/grading-big-free-agent-deals-nfl

Nah, Heath knew he was at the end. According to Colbert, he and Tomlin were in a meeting when TE coach Daniels came in and let them know Heath informed him he was done. I guess he had been grumbling about possibly hanging it up during the exit interview, so they weren't surprised when he called it quits. Heard this on SNR when they interviewed Colbert.

Unlike Troy who was pushed out and took it kinda hard. We never heard the above type story. Or like Aaron Smith being told he was done ... we didn't hear something like the above. I just don't see the Steelers needing to make up stories. They've either announced retirements or said nothing at all.

With the greats, I think the Steelers hold on one year longer than they should. Smith was done prior to his last year. Keisel was pretty effective his last year, but his body was obviously shot. Troy was done, even if he was mad about it ... he should have called it quits the year before he was let go. Farrier was done the year before he was let go. Although Bettis had a little tread left on the bus wheels his last year, it wasn't much.

I think Heath honestly called it a career. Too easy for him to tell any of the hundreds of reporters that wanted to interview him that he was tossed and therefore, make the FO look bad caught in a lie.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Steelers-by-position: TEs   Steelers-by-position: TEs - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 10, 2016 5:05 pm

BlackAndGold wrote:
@MarkKaboly_Trib
Steelers are thrilled with possibilties that Ladarius Green and Jesse James will present in red zone especially with their size.

Then throw in Bryant and you have quite a few tall targets .... who can watch Brown catch the TD pass. Steelers-by-position: TEs - Page 3 1549491426

O.k. all kidding aside, those three guys should present real issues in the redzone next year. Can you imagine two TEs (Green and James), 2 WRs (Brown and Bryant) and Bell in the backfield on 1st and goal?
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers-by-position: TEs   Steelers-by-position: TEs - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 10, 2016 11:24 pm

kirklandrules wrote:
BlackAndGold wrote:
@MarkKaboly_Trib

Then throw in Bryant and you have quite a few tall targets .... who can watch Brown catch the TD pass. Steelers-by-position: TEs - Page 3 1549491426

O.k. all kidding aside, those three guys should present real issues in the redzone next year. Can you imagine two TEs (Green and James), 2 WRs (Brown and Bryant) and Bell in the backfield on 1st and goal?

Fun thing is you can go 2TE and 2 RB sets and play action to a couple big targets, or Rosie Nix out of the backfield. OR you isolate AB in space with the same "22" personnel. Lots of red zone options to run or pass on short yardage.

More importantly, Green can be a real weapon in space in bubble screen game, or be a greater vertical threat than Miller was in the screen and go. As much as Heath Miller was one of the great all around TE's....Green brings more fear to opposing defenses in the passing game. Great pickup.
Back to top Go down
KeepHarrisonTilHes92

KeepHarrisonTilHes92

PostSubject: Re: Steelers-by-position: TEs   Steelers-by-position: TEs - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 10, 2016 11:29 pm

I love this signing, just saying. I get a vibe from this guy that hes gonna work hard. Same sort of intangible vibe I get from Senquez Golson too. I could be wrong, but I get that feeling.
Back to top Go down
kan_t

PostSubject: Re: Steelers-by-position: TEs   Steelers-by-position: TEs - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 10, 2016 11:30 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:

Fun thing is you can go 2TE and 2 RB sets and play action to a couple big targets, or Rosie Nix out of the backfield.  OR you isolate AB in space with the same "22" personnel.  Lots of red zone options to run or pass on short yardage.

More importantly, Green can be a real weapon in space in bubble screen game, or be a greater vertical threat than Miller was in the screen and go.  As much as Heath Miller was one of the great all around TE's....Green brings more fear to opposing defenses in the passing game.  Great pickup.
When Brown, Bryant, Wheathon, Green and Bell are on the field at the same time, that would be a nightmare to any safety and ILB in the league.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers-by-position: TEs   Steelers-by-position: TEs - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelers-by-position: TEs
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3