Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeMartavis Bryant facing season long suspension  - Page 4 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension

Go down 
+40
JPPT1974
Wallace108
SteelersNorth
kirklandrules
Bays
Stella Nation
harrison'samonster
SoCalFan
marvology
solardave
pczach
SteelCity4Life
El-Gonzo Jackson
steelers5895
vasteeler
Rhyno
PhantomJB93
SteelerSpartan
effyou515
FrancoLambert
OX1947
schillah
rellimie
SteelerEmpire
IowaSteeler927
jak341
DesertSteel
Steeler-in-west
FanSince72
Fire Arians
SteelerFreak58
Steellamb86
WCSteeler
Atlanta Dan
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu
KeepHarrisonTilHes92
LambertWardSteel
fer69
kan_t
BlackAndGold
44 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Atlanta Dan

Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension  - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension    Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension  - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 13, 2016 1:19 pm

KeepHarrisonTilHes92 wrote:
marvology wrote:
Honestly, I think I need to start smoking weed if the shit is THAT good Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension  - Page 4 1797695198

It's pretty good. But not THAT good. There's no physical dependency and even though there's a mental dependency that basically goes like this..

"This movie is good but it would be way better if I were high"
"This pizza is good but it would be way better if I were high"
"Sitting here is getting boring, time to go get high" Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension  - Page 4 1797695198

That sort of "dependency" should be able to be broken by being offered millions of dollars. Should. If hes dealing with depression though, well marijuana is like the perfect band aid. Its doesnt cure it, but treats it fantastically.

So far the storyline that Bryant was getting baked because he was depressed, rather than just enjoyed getting high as opposed to abusing alcohol, is based on the agent's comments.

If Bryant actually is suffering from depression or an anxiety disorder, I am surprised that the Steelers, Bryant's agents or the NFLPA would not have taken steps to verify if Bryant had any psychological issues that contributed to Bryant continuing to get high when he knew he was at risk of getting the 4 game suspension.  Meds legally could have been prescribed to address the issue as an alternative to the contention Bryant self-medicated.

Bryant is primarily responsible for his own actions and sometimes it is virtually impossible to stop self-destructive behavior, but those who financially benefit from having him play might be second guessing the actions taken after the last suspension was announced.  Perhaps part of the problem is that suspecting or being diagnosed with a mental illness is regarded as showing "weakness" in a way being diagnosed with a torn ACL is not - look how long it took NFL coaches and players (e.g. - Hines Ward to Ben in 2008) to stop telling players to man up and get back on the field after being brain injured with a concussion.
Back to top Go down
SoCalFan

SoCalFan

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension    Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension  - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 13, 2016 1:31 pm

Interesting take Dan. Most of the sports world (including myself) view him as a selfish prick who simply wants to stay stoned... Depressed? I guess even youngsters with millions need an out.

KeepHarrisonTilHes92

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension    Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension  - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 13, 2016 1:48 pm

Atlanta Dan wrote:
marvology wrote:
Honestly, I think I need to start smoking weed if the shit is THAT good Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension  - Page 4 1797695198

It's pretty good. But not THAT good. There's no physical dependency and even though there's a mental dependency that basically goes like this..

"Sitting here is getting boring, time to go get high" Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension  - Page 4 1797695198

That sort of "dependency" should be able to be broken by being offered millions of dollars. Should. If hes dealing with depression though, well marijuana is like the perfect band aid. Its doesnt cure it, but treats it fantastically.

So far the storyline that Bryant was getting baked because he was depressed, rather than just enjoyed getting high as opposed to abusing alcohol, is based on the agent's comments.

If Bryant actually is suffering from depression or an anxiety disorder, I am surprised that the Steelers, Bryant's agents or the NFLPA would not have taken steps to verify if Bryant had any psychological issues that contributed to Bryant continuing to get high when he knew he was at risk of getting the 4 game suspension.  Meds legally could have been prescribed to address the issue as an alternative to the contention Bryant self-medicated.

Bryant is primarily responsible for his own actions and sometimes it is virtually impossible to stop self-destructive behavior, but those who financially benefit from having him play might be second guessing the actions taken after the last suspension was announced.  Perhaps part of the problem is that suspecting or being diagnosed with a mental illness is regarded as showing "weakness" in a way being diagnosed with a torn ACL is not - look how long it took NFL coaches and players (e.g. - Hines Ward to Ben in 2008) to stop telling players to man up and get back on the field after being brain injured with a concussion.

Nail on the proverbial head. Depression is typically a personal isolated condition and considering how soft spoken Bryant is, if a football franchise sees those signs then they will most likely brush them off as part of his personality then suggest hes depressed. I can definitely agree that NFL staff are most likely not prepared to or willing to accurately detect that because it suggests weakness.

I've seen interviews of Bryant and I sensed something. At first I thought it was something to do with his self esteem and that may be true but as a symptom alongside anxiety and depression. I 100% believe the narrative from his agent. I don't believe its an excuse or a Mel Gibson-esque smokescreen. Having dealt with anxiety and depression myself from a lack of self esteem I too smoked marijuana heavily as a coping mechanism. Even though it makes you feel better in the moment, it exacerbates the problems because you arent dealing with the root cause. In a sense forming that sort of dependency makes you go further down the rabbit hole.

Weed is not a problem it really isn't. The NFL, but first the nation, needs to understand that it is the safest and most effective form of pain relief, sleep aid, and maintaining wellness and a proper homeostasis that prescription medications pretend to do, whilst creating addictions that are going largely unnoticed and are far greater than anyone could experience with marijuana. IMO Martavis IS doing whats better for him than some of the alternatives, such as antidepressants. What Martavis needs is to mentally understand what is wrong. Address any personal demons. Take Niacin, eat very well, sleep very well, and avoid too much visual stimuli (as I understand it hes an avid gamer, and too much of that or TV can create anxiety and depression).

Depression and anxietal disorders succccck. But honestly the solution can be simpler than pharmaceuticals would like you to believe. You just have to slow down, everything. Stop constantly distracting yourself.
Back to top Go down
steelers5895
Banned

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension    Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension  - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 13, 2016 6:01 pm

Atlanta Dan wrote:
marvology wrote:

are you kidding? please tell me what your background is with this? or is this your opinion? this is a young kid who may not have the right support system in place to fix this. people kill themselves over this and you are going to blame them for how they did/didn't cope or ask for help. THAT is the issue, most don't reach out for help because when in that "funk" they don't think " oh I am depressed let me get help".

there are so many layers to depression and help isn't a pill or phone call away.

Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension    Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension  - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 13, 2016 6:55 pm

steelers5895 wrote:
Atlanta Dan wrote:
marvology wrote:

are you kidding?  please tell me what your background is with this?  or is this your opinion?  this is a young kid who may not have the right support system in place to fix this.   people kill themselves over this and you are going to blame them for how they did/didn't cope or ask for help.  THAT is the issue, most don't reach out for help because when in that "funk" they don't think " oh I am depressed let me get help".  

there are so many layers to depression and help isn't a pill or phone call away.

Thank you for another characteristically understated response.

A few points

Reading comprehension

Please go back and read what I wrote

If Bryant actually is suffering from depression or an anxiety disorder

... those who financially benefit from having him play might be second guessing the actions taken after the last suspension was announced

If you still do not get it, I said it is being alleged that Bryant is suffering from depression, not that I have diagnosed him as suffering from that illness.

I then said if he is suffering from depression then perhaps those who were involved in addressing his suspension last summer are having second thoughts about addressing why Bryant relapsed.  As an adult, Bryant is primarily responsible for his actions unless he is institutionalized - if you disagree with that tell me who is primarily responsible for taking care of you all day.  But, as I further stated, the support system put in place to help him obviously did not prevent a relapse.

Based on this quote, Bryant's agent certainly appears to have some regrets about the course taken last summer and fall while also stating Bryant is the person who has to fix this, not his agents, the Steelers, or his mother.

We’re all stunned, me included,” Fettner said, shortly after broke news of the ban Saturday. “We clearly miscalculated the issue. His isn’t a party issue. It’s a coping issue and a depression issue, and he’s got to take care of it.”

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2016/03/12/martavis-bryant-pittsburgh-steelers/81693628/

Prescribing anti-depressants

Although you toss off the throwaway line "help isn't a pill or phone call away," prescriptions to treat anxiety disorders and depression are a commonly recognized treatment.  Here is a link for you.

Millions of Americans suffer from depression, anxiety, and other mental health conditions. Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) can improve a wide variety of these conditions and, as a result, are commonly prescribed.

http://www.webmd.com/depression/ssris-myths-and-facts-about-antidepressants

But I am not just tossing that out.  At a difficult time in my life I was prescribed a SSRI in conjunction with counseling, a decision I did not take lightly since it meant I needed to disclose it on every subsequent background check to renew my security clearance. That is just another illustration of why many are hesitant to seek professional help for a mental illness due to requirements to disclose it prospectively.   I might have recovered without the meds, but since I recovered with them I have to disagree with your apparent conclusion that meds don't help.  Maybe you can tell me you also took SSRIs or other antidepressants and they did not help you.  

If Bryant is suffering from depression and got high in an effort to ease the pain, addressing the illness through legals meds following a proper diagnosis of his condition and a determination medications should be prescribed (assuming they have not been prescribed) as opposed to losing a year's salary by self-medicating would seem to be a better path.

I think you are now posting under a different name than the one you used last fall - but the style of the posts certainly appear to be similar.  I made a good faith effort to work out some differences with that poster in PMs last fall.  Based on responses to some of your other posts under your current screen name, it looks like I am not alone in having some reservations about how you express yourself.  But that is just my opinion.

For future reference, I promise to ignore your posts if you promise to ignore mine.  Deal?
Back to top Go down
harrison'samonster

harrison'samonster

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension    Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension  - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 13, 2016 7:49 pm

Atlanta Dan wrote:

A few points

Reading comprehension

... those who financially benefit from having him play might be second guessing the actions taken after the last suspension was announced

If you still do not get it, I said it is being alleged that Bryant is suffering from depression, not that I have diagnosed him as suffering from that illness.

I then said if he is suffering from depression then perhaps those who were involved in addressing his suspension last summer are having second thoughts about addressing why Bryant relapsed.  As an adult, Bryant is primarily responsible for his actions unless he is institutionalized - if you disagree with that tell me who is primarily responsible for taking care of you all day.  But, as I further stated, the support system put in place to help him obviously did not prevent a relapse.

Based on this quote, Bryant's agent certainly appears to have some regrets about the course taken last summer and fall while also stating Bryant is the person who has to fix this, not his agents, the Steelers, or his mother.

We’re all stunned, me included,” Fettner said, shortly after broke news of the ban Saturday. “We clearly miscalculated the issue. His isn’t a party issue. It’s a coping issue and a depression issue, and he’s got to take care of it.”

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2016/03/12/martavis-bryant-pittsburgh-steelers/81693628/

Although you toss off the throwaway line "help isn't a pill or phone call away," prescriptions to treat anxiety disorders and depression are a commonly recognized treatment.  Here is a link for you.

Millions of Americans suffer from depression, anxiety, and other mental health conditions. Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) can improve a wide variety of these conditions and, as a result, are commonly prescribed.

But I am not just tossing that out.  At a difficult time in my life I was prescribed a SSRI in conjunction with counseling, a decision I did not take lightly since it meant I needed to disclose it on every subsequent background check to renew my security clearance. That is just another illustration of why many are hesitant to seek professional help for a mental illness due to requirements to disclose it prospectively.   I might have recovered without the meds, but since I recovered with them I have to disagree with your apparent conclusion that meds don't help.  Maybe you can tell me you also took SSRIs or other antidepressants and they did not help you.  

If Bryant is suffering from depression and got high in an effort to ease the pain, addressing the illness through legals meds following a proper diagnosis of his condition and a determination medications should be prescribed (assuming they have not been prescribed) as opposed to losing a year's salary by self-medicating would seem to be a better path.

I think you are now posting under a different name than the one you used last fall - but the style of the posts certainly appear to be similar.  I made a good faith effort to work out some differences with that poster in PMs last fall.  Based on responses to some of your other posts under your current screen name, it looks like I am not alone in having some reservations about how you express yourself.  But that is just my opinion.

For future reference, I promise to ignore your posts if you promise to ignore mine.  Deal?

Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension  - Page 4 Applause

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension    Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension  - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 14, 2016 1:36 am

A good example would be Brandon Marshall having Borderline Personality Disorder. BPD can be treated with therapy but how long was he considered a "Head Case" before he got treatment and now listen to him in interviews.

If Bryant came into the league with an illness how would anyone know he had the problem. It's been said here by several that depression does not seek help. So it could go undetected for years and that could be the case. I guess we will all find out going forward if this is just who he is or can he recover and be a productive person playing in the NFL.

I'm sticking to my gut reaction saying I wish him the best and hope he gets his life on track. Whether he is a millionaire or a hundredaire depression doesn't discriminate.
Back to top Go down
OX1947

OX1947

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension    Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension  - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 14, 2016 2:37 am

I am not surprised. I actually expected this to happen. Sad reality.
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension    Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension  - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 14, 2016 7:37 am

It sucks for us because Martavis is a big part of our offense, but if he's suffering from a depression I really hope he gets well. Life and health are far more important than a football game or a carreer. I hope that somehow he finds a structural way to be happy in life. When he does that he can start thinking about his carreer again.
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension    Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension  - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 14, 2016 11:22 am

Leaving aside how devastating this is for Bryant, no question it blows a big hole in plans for the upcoming season

The hard truth for the Steelers as they go forward without receiver Martavis Bryant is that they’ve been only average when Bryant hasn’t played the past two seasons. Bryant, who is appealing a yearlong suspension for violating the league’s substance-abuse policy, has been one of the offense’s most indispensable pieces.

Bryant has been worth more than a touchdown per game to the Steelers over the past two seasons. The Steelers scored, on average, 6.4 points per game more when Bryant has been in the lineup, posting a prolific 28.6 points per game with him and only 22.2 without him.

Link to full article

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2016/03/14/Replacing-Martavis-Bryant-will-be-a-difficult-chore-for-Steelers/stories/201603130200

Back to top Go down
pczach

pczach

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension    Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension  - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 14, 2016 11:47 am

Atlanta Dan wrote:
Leaving aside how devastating this is for Bryant, no question it blows a big hole in plans for the upcoming season

The hard truth for the Steelers as they go forward without receiver Martavis Bryant is that they’ve been only average when Bryant hasn’t played the past two seasons. Bryant, who is appealing a yearlong suspension for violating the league’s substance-abuse policy, has been one of the offense’s most indispensable pieces.

Bryant has been worth more than a touchdown per game to the Steelers over the past two seasons. The Steelers scored, on average, 6.4 points per game more when Bryant has been in the lineup, posting a prolific 28.6 points per game with him and only 22.2 without him.

Link to full article

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2016/03/14/Replacing-Martavis-Bryant-will-be-a-difficult-chore-for-Steelers/stories/201603130200

It's strange that Coates wasn't even mentioned in the article. He is the closest thing to Bryant from an athletic standpoint, and has the most talent of the replacements listed in the story.

He has had a season to learn the system and work on his game. If he does his work and improves, he should get to see the field more as the season goes on, and potentially take over the #2 spot.

DHB is not a #2 receiver. He will make the occasional big play, but he is not good enough or consistent enough. I look for a transition to Coates if he is able to show he can operate in the offense without making tons of mistakes.

We'll see.

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension    Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension  - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 14, 2016 11:54 am

Coates will snag his spot. I hope the kid gets the help he needs. It's the one area where we are truly deep on this team and I don't think his absence will effect the offense at all. Not to mention DHB has been solid as a back up.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension    Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension  - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 14, 2016 11:54 am

solardave wrote:
A good example would be Brandon Marshall having Borderline Personality Disorder. BPD can be treated with therapy but how long was he considered a "Head Case" before he got treatment and now listen to him in interviews.

If Bryant came into the league with an illness how would anyone know he had the problem. It's been said here by several that depression does not seek help. So it could go undetected for years and that could be the case. I guess we will all find out going forward if this is just who he is or can he recover and be a productive person playing in the NFL.

I'm sticking to my gut reaction saying I wish him the best and hope he gets his life on track. Whether he is a millionaire or a hundredaire depression doesn't discriminate.

Great post Dave. Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension  - Page 4 1647293567

I still assume that the Steelers would have a sport psychologist on staff and hopefully somebody would help him explore options like Cognitive Behaviour Therapy. But, as you said maybe he didn't seek the help and even if somebody suggests, he still needs to take action.

I know of somebody with depression and drugs just help regulate the feelings and symptoms, where CBT helped get to the root of the problem.
Back to top Go down
FanSince72

FanSince72

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension    Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension  - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 14, 2016 12:25 pm

I'd like to offer my two cents, if I may.

Atlanta Dan wrote:

A few points

Reading comprehension

Sadly, a football player (to his team, his agent and to the league) is generally treated as a commodity first and a person second.
That's unfortunate but nonetheless a reality.

As for the "second guessing" I'm sure there's a lot of that being discussed now but Bryant DID enter the draft with a "Character Issues" tag which is a poorly defined reference suggesting that a player might not be the best teammate or be "coachable".
Generalizing a persons psychological makeup with a two-word phrase is certainly no diagnosis but it DOES suggest that there are issues to be examined and if a team chooses to hire a player with such a designation, I think they assume some responsibility to determine and possibly treat whatever baggage that player brings with him.

While it's certainly true that Bryant is an adult and may be responsible for his own behavior, if issues are discovered I think the team and/or the league has an obligation to address them rather than simply mete out punishment when those issues break rules.  After all, someone recognized an issue before draft-day, so it stands to reason that if a player is chosen he brings those issues with him and one would assume that the team accepts those issues as part of his signing and thus assumes at least a minimal obligation to address them -- or at least try to find out what they are.

As for support systems, they are crucial to anyone's recovery from an illness or addiction and one may very well have been in place but there's no guarantee it will work and they certainly don't work on any schedule or with any predictable result.

Relapse is part of recovery and is often necessary to affect true change as it acts as a measure of the efficacy of a treatment regimen.  The frequency and circumstance of a relapse can do more to fine-tune a recovery program than all of the diversionary tactics could ever do.

So a relapse is not a failure but simply a part of the process.

Atlanta Dan wrote:

Many medications are certainly helpful in treating many forms of mental disorders.
But just as counseling takes time to identify causation and alternatives it can also take quite a bit of time to identify and implement a proper and helpful medication protocol.  

SSRI's are simply a class of medications and can vary quite a bit in efficacy and in some cases can actually worsen a problem.
So, just as counseling takes time to figure things out, it may take some time to find the right SSRI's (or SNRI's or SDRI's) or a combination of meds that will ultimately serve to stabilize a persons brain chemistry so that things like counseling and support groups can actually take hold and begin to help.

But for any of these things to work, a person must first recognize that a problem exists and that they need to take the steps necessary to treat it.  A support may take quite a bit of time to get someone in need of help to recognize that they do and then to accept that they may need further intervention.

That could take days, weeks or years or it may not work at all.

No one "decides" to be depressed or addicted or dependent and I don't think that anyone consciously (or at least intellectually) weighs the differences between self-medicating and loss of income or job status when easing one's pain is the most immediate need.  Self-medication is a cry for help more than anything else and it takes other people to hear that cry and step in to help.
And no matter how true it may be that a person has to help himself he first needs to understand that a problem exists and that's often impossible to do subjectively and it is the responsibility of others to step in and at least get someone pointed in the right direction -- not to get them back on a football field but rather to try to help them to live a sane and healthy life.

OX1947

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension    Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension  - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 14, 2016 1:03 pm

Bryant is depressed like I am depressed about Bryant being depressed.
Back to top Go down
KeepHarrisonTilHes92

KeepHarrisonTilHes92

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension    Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension  - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 14, 2016 1:08 pm

OX1947 wrote:

Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension  - Page 4 MC7cTyN3
Back to top Go down
FanSince72

FanSince72

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension    Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension  - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 14, 2016 1:39 pm

OX1947 wrote:

OK...so if that goes unchecked, doesn't it start to bend gravity and result in a Black Hole?

I'd definitely look into that before it's too late.

KeepHarrisonTilHes92

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension    Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension  - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 14, 2016 1:50 pm

FanSince72 wrote:
OX1947 wrote:

OK...so if that goes unchecked, doesn't it start to bend gravity and result in a Black Hole?

I'm actually certified by Arizona State University to divide by zero. So everything should be all right.
Back to top Go down
SteelerSpartan

SteelerSpartan

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension    Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension  - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 14, 2016 2:14 pm

Done deal..gone for the year....won't appeal.

OX1947

OX1947

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension    Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension  - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 14, 2016 2:32 pm

Sammie Coates time.....
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension    Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension  - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 14, 2016 2:35 pm

SteelerSpartan wrote:
Done deal..gone for the year....won't appeal.

Yep - statement from NFL on Steelers website

STATEMENT BY AN NFL SPOKESPERSON:

"Martavis Bryant of the Pittsburgh Steelers has been suspended without pay for a minimum of one year for violating the NFL Policy and Program for Substances of Abuse. Bryant’s suspension begins immediately."

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-4/NFL-statement-on-Martavis-Bryant/55ef9e56-42ec-4544-a4f7-5ed1166c24c0

Since reinstatement is discretionary after 1 year I guess the NFLPA and Bryant's agents decided better to start the clock running on the one year since any appeal would be a waste of time

I guess the Steelers plan is see if they get two productive years out of Bryant in 2017 and 2018
Back to top Go down
FanSince72

FanSince72

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension    Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension  - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 14, 2016 3:42 pm

FanSince72 wrote:
OX1947 wrote:

I'm actually certified by Arizona State University to divide by zero. So everything should be all right.

Well, a certification from Cal Tech or MIT would be more reassuring.
But ASU IS America's top party school -- so I guess it's all good...

hope it's all good...

Oh fuck it, I've got other shit to worry about. Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension  - Page 4 1505004552

FanSince72

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension    Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension  - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 14, 2016 3:52 pm

Atlanta Dan wrote:

Since reinstatement is discretionary after 1 year I guess the NFLPA and Bryant's agents decided better to start the clock running on the one year since any appeal would be a waste of time

I guess the Steelers plan is see if they get two productive years out of Bryant in 2017 and 2018

Or it could be that Bryant has come to grips with how serious this is and really wants to get started on getting his mind right rather than argue about terms and conditions.

If that's true then good on him.

But in any case whatever he needs to deal with is more important than catching footballs and I hope he gets the help he needs and I hope he can find his way back.

Good luck to you, MB! Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension  - Page 4 184121345

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension    Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension  - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 14, 2016 3:54 pm

Strictly business comment from Colbert - no platitudes about the Steelers being most concerned about how this impacts Bryant outside of football

Statement By Steelers General Manager Kevin Colbert on Martavis Bryant

"We are very disappointed that Martavis Bryant has put himself in this current situation of being suspended by the League. He is at a crossroads of his professional life, and he needs to understand significant changes need to occur in his personal life if he wants to regain his career as a Pittsburgh Steeler. We are hopeful that Martavis will take the necessary steps to develop the discipline in his personal life to become a successful player and a good teammate."

http://m.steelers.com/news/article-4/GM-Kevin-Colbert-on-Martavis-Bryant/5f6f8a48-97d8-40dd-a0f5-7d82746d2b5d

But with the bit about "regaining his career as a Pittsburgh Steeler" it looks like the Steelers are not going to do anything impulsive like release Bryant

This from P-G reporter Ray Fittapaldo in his chat today.  Fittapaldo is among those who are not stunned or very sympathetic.

I heard during the season the Steelers were not thrilled with the people Bryant surrounded himself with

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2016/03/14/Ray-Fittipaldo-s-Steelers-chat-transcript-3-14-16/stories/201603140141
Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension    Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension  - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 15, 2016 1:56 am

I don't really know what to believe here, I just pray that if it is depression that he gets the help needed.

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension    Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension  - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Martavis Bryant facing season long suspension
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next