Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeRound 2, welcome Sean Davis Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Round 2, welcome Sean Davis

Go down 
+11
LambertWardSteel
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu
kan_t
BlackAndGold
PhantomJB93
OX1947
SteelerSpartan
Hawaii 5-0
Fire Arians
Steeler Zach
Wallace108
15 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Round 2, welcome Sean Davis Empty
PostSubject: Round 2, welcome Sean Davis   Round 2, welcome Sean Davis EmptyFri Apr 29, 2016 9:32 pm

Steelers take defensive back Sean Davis in 2nd round

PITTSBURGH (AP) — The Pittsburgh Steelers took another step toward overhauling their secondary, taking defensive back Sean Davis out of Maryland in the second round of the NFL draft on Friday night.

http://wtop.com/maryland/2016/04/steelers-take-defensive-back-sean-davis-in-2nd-round/

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Steeler Zach

Steeler Zach

PostSubject: Round 2: Welcome to Pittsburgh, Sean Davis.    Round 2, welcome Sean Davis EmptyFri Apr 29, 2016 9:32 pm

Steelers attempt to improve the secondary with their first two picks in the draft.
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Round 2, welcome Sean Davis   Round 2, welcome Sean Davis EmptyFri Apr 29, 2016 9:35 pm

SUPERBOWL!
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Round 2, welcome Sean Davis   Round 2, welcome Sean Davis EmptyFri Apr 29, 2016 9:36 pm

James C Wexell ‏@jimwexell

Sean Davis on his astounding 213 solo tackles at Maryland: "I think it's just the will to hit."

https://twitter.com/jimwexell?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor
Back to top Go down
SteelerSpartan

SteelerSpartan

PostSubject: Re: Round 2, welcome Sean Davis   Round 2, welcome Sean Davis EmptyFri Apr 29, 2016 9:39 pm

Better not be a Ratbird fan... Round 2, welcome Sean Davis 3798349058

OX1947

OX1947

PostSubject: Re: Round 2, welcome Sean Davis   Round 2, welcome Sean Davis EmptyFri Apr 29, 2016 9:40 pm

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
James C Wexell ‏@jimwexell  

Sean Davis on his astounding 213 solo tackles at Maryland: "I think it's just the will to hit."

https://twitter.com/jimwexell?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Steelers already have one of those. We need someone with the will to cover.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Round 2, welcome Sean Davis   Round 2, welcome Sean Davis EmptyFri Apr 29, 2016 9:42 pm

Quote :
Dale Lolley ‏@dlolleyor

Carnell Lake said he had Davis rated as his top safety. Not necessarily #Steelers top safety, but his. He likes having cover safety

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Round 2, welcome Sean Davis   Round 2, welcome Sean Davis EmptyFri Apr 29, 2016 9:45 pm

can't say we're ignoring secondary now. i'm looking forward to next season, we have a lot of young players in the backfield
Back to top Go down
SteelerSpartan

SteelerSpartan

PostSubject: Re: Round 2, welcome Sean Davis   Round 2, welcome Sean Davis EmptyFri Apr 29, 2016 9:49 pm

Fire Arians wrote:
can't say we're ignoring secondary now. i'm looking forward to next season, we have a lot of young players in the backfield

Hope they can learn fast and help contribute this year.....because this year is the best shot at a SB we've had in a while....after this year we have start making more decisions on who to pay

PhantomJB93

PhantomJB93

PostSubject: Re: Round 2, welcome Sean Davis   Round 2, welcome Sean Davis EmptyFri Apr 29, 2016 9:50 pm

I never saw him mocked earlier than the third so I don't know a lot about him. But mock drafts don't mean shit and he looks promising.
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Round 2, welcome Sean Davis   Round 2, welcome Sean Davis EmptyFri Apr 29, 2016 9:55 pm

Really like this guy.

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Round 2, welcome Sean Davis   Round 2, welcome Sean Davis EmptyFri Apr 29, 2016 10:15 pm

BlackAndGold wrote:
Really like this guy.

congrats on having him in your sig mock draft! Round 2, welcome Sean Davis 184121345
Back to top Go down
kan_t

PostSubject: Re: Round 2, welcome Sean Davis   Round 2, welcome Sean Davis EmptyFri Apr 29, 2016 10:16 pm

STRENGTHS Big, broad frame with absolutely shredded physique. Showed mental toughness. Bounced back from awful Bowling Green game to make numerous plays against South Florida the next week. Has size to battle against move tight ends. Leaps and challenges aggressively on 50/50 throws. Grabbed three interceptions in 2015. Around the ball and in the mix. Posted 298 tackles over three years as a starter. Comes firing downhill with purpose when it is time to get help against the run. Looks to lay the wood to receivers and make them feel it. Second in the nation with five forced fumbles. Has played safety and cornerback.

WEAKNESSES At times, was disastrous in man coverage. Dinged for 614 yards receiving against him. Slow, upright backpedal and clunky when turning to run. Seemed to be too big and lacking in foot quickness needed to play cornerback. Flagged for four pass interferences, a late hit and a personal foul this year. Charged with ten touchdowns allowed over last two seasons. Missed tackle numbers are troubling with 40 over last three years. Allows too much separation and can’t click and close on throws.

DRAFT PROJECTION Rounds 2 or 3

NFL COMPARISON Duke Ihenacho

BOTTOM LINE Miscast this season as an outside cornerback, Davis battled through adversity and bounced back with ball production, tackles and forced fumbles. Davis has the ability to cover, but his strengths would best be utilized at safety where he has fewer man responsibilities and can be deployed near the line of scrimmage a little more often. Davis is an eventual starter at safety and a big backup at cornerback.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/sean-davis?id=2555386
Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: Round 2, welcome Sean Davis   Round 2, welcome Sean Davis EmptyFri Apr 29, 2016 10:19 pm

kan_t wrote:
STRENGTHS Big, broad frame with absolutely shredded physique. Showed mental toughness. Bounced back from awful Bowling Green game to make numerous plays against South Florida the next week. Has size to battle against move tight ends. Leaps and challenges aggressively on 50/50 throws. Grabbed three interceptions in 2015. Around the ball and in the mix. Posted 298 tackles over three years as a starter. Comes firing downhill with purpose when it is time to get help against the run. Looks to lay the wood to receivers and make them feel it. Second in the nation with five forced fumbles. Has played safety and cornerback.

WEAKNESSES At times, was disastrous in man coverage. Dinged for 614 yards receiving against him. Slow, upright backpedal and clunky when turning to run. Seemed to be too big and lacking in foot quickness needed to play cornerback. Flagged for four pass interferences, a late hit and a personal foul this year. Charged with ten touchdowns allowed over last two seasons. Missed tackle numbers are troubling with 40 over last three years. Allows too much separation and can’t click and close on throws.

DRAFT PROJECTION Rounds 2 or 3

NFL COMPARISON Duke Ihenacho

BOTTOM LINE Miscast this season as an outside cornerback, Davis battled through adversity and bounced back with ball production, tackles and forced fumbles. Davis has the ability to cover, but his strengths would best be utilized at safety where he has fewer man responsibilities and can be deployed near the line of scrimmage a little more often. Davis is an eventual starter at safety and a big backup at cornerback.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/sean-davis?id=2555386
I like the versatility. Sort of reminds me of that kid Rollins from Miami OH. I also liked reading about him knowing three languages. That suggests to me he's a smart kid and a quick learner.
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Round 2, welcome Sean Davis   Round 2, welcome Sean Davis EmptyFri Apr 29, 2016 11:06 pm

Welcome. Best wishes for a long, elite, Steelers career.

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Round 2, welcome Sean Davis   Round 2, welcome Sean Davis EmptySat Apr 30, 2016 12:17 am

I like the pick. Big frame, rangy but smooth and efficient in change of direction and tackles everything. I think Darrian Thompson has better coverage awareness and ball skills, but Davis is quicker, a better tackler and former CB.

Definitely see the Steelers want fast and physical defense. Davis brings that. Mitchell has that, but hopefully Davis is better at recognition of the play than Mitchell.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Round 2, welcome Sean Davis   Round 2, welcome Sean Davis EmptySat Apr 30, 2016 1:02 am

Pittsburgh Steelers drafted Sean Davis, continue building secondary

Jim Wexell

Round 2, welcome Sean Davis 04-29-16sdavis

Hard-hitting, athletic safety is Steelers' second-round pick, and Carnell Lake appreciates the brass' attention.

PITTSBURGH -- Sean Davis had always wanted to "go to the U" because his idol, Sean Taylor, had played there.

"He wore No. 21 and his name was Sean," the newest member of the Pittsburgh Steelers said back in February from the NFL Combine.

"Man, I idolized him. I loved everything about him. Real quiet dude just like me."

So it was with great joy then that Davis -- No. 21 at Maryland -- was (intentionally) confused for Taylor when he picked up the phone to talk to the Pittsburgh media Friday night.

The 6-1, 201-pound strong safety from Maryland, the Steelers' second-round draft pick, let out a hearty laugh after being called Sean Taylor.

"Yeah," said the deliriously happy Davis. "Thank you. Thank you."

It's probably what his father, Sean Davis Sr., was saying in the background, as dad watched son discuss a future with the Steelers.

"My dad loves the Steelers," Davis Jr. said. "This is awesome. I couldn't have hoped for anything better. It's the perfect situation."

Born and raised in Washington D.C. as a Redskins fan, Davis said his dad "just loves Coach Tomlin, and there's something about that black and yellow. He's always seen me as a Steeler, for real."

What did dad say?

"Aw, man, I'm lookin' right at him," Davis Jr. said with a laugh. "He might be happier than me. He's got his cool face on, even though I know deep inside he's going crazy."

As was Davis' new boss in Pittsburgh, secondary coach Carnell Lake, who ripped off Davis' astounding Combine numbers off the top of his head.

"He was third in the 20-yard shuttle (3.97) for all defensive backs," Lake said. "He had a 37 1/2 vertical, 21 on the bench, which was second of all defensive backs in the draft. This guy is an exceptional guy. We are excited to have him. He is kind of everything you are looking for when you are talking about versatility for defensive backs."

There were also Davis' 6.64 3-cone time, his 4.46 40, 1.56 10 and a 10-6 broad jump.

Lake was understandably happy to get such an athletic safety, and one who was used at cornerback last season at Maryland, where he finished his career with 306 tackles (213 solos).

"I'm excited," Lake said. "I've been coaching here for six years. It's been a long time, as you know, since we've had a first-rounder. Now, in back-to-back years we've had (that and) two second-round players. It's coming together. It feels good."

Prior to last year's selection of Senquez Golson in the second round, the Steelers had drafted only one player, Curtis Brown, as high as the third round during Lake's tenure as secondary coach.

But Golson, together with this year's first-round choice of Artie Burns, and now Davis, give the team a nucleus upon which to finally reconstruct a secondary that had consisted of veterans throughout the three recent Super Bowls.

Here's Lake's vision for -- and he didn't correct the questioner -- free safety Mike Mitchell and strong safety Davis on the Steelers' back end:

"When you have offenses that spread you out ... to create mismatches," Lake said, "they will put a player like (Rob) Gronkowski out wide and force you to match up with either a linebacker or a safety on Gronkowski. Well, you have to have a guy that has the size and can cover. He provides that coverage for us. That's one of the exciting parts of Sean Davis that we like."

A baseball star in high school, Davis didn't play football until his junior year. As a freshman at Maryland, he started only two games, but the next year, 2013, he started all 13 games at free safety.

In 2014, as a junior, Davis started 11 games at free safety and two at cornerback, and then was moved to cornerback for his entire his senior season.

Overall, Davis intercepted five passes and forced seven fumbles. He also has another pretty good stat on his resume...

to read rest of article:

http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers/story/1665638-carnell-lake-its-coming-together?preview=true
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Round 2, welcome Sean Davis   Round 2, welcome Sean Davis EmptySat Apr 30, 2016 3:26 am

Kid looks good, not gonna lie. Good ball skills, hits bigger than he is.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
kan_t

PostSubject: Re: Round 2, welcome Sean Davis   Round 2, welcome Sean Davis EmptySat Apr 30, 2016 5:32 am

He seems like a perfect SS fit to the Steelers. He clearly has his limit (coverage) but the Steelers don't need him to be a center fielder.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Round 2, welcome Sean Davis   Round 2, welcome Sean Davis EmptySat Apr 30, 2016 9:53 am

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
Kid looks good, not gonna lie. Good ball skills, hits bigger than he is.

I watched his Combine field drills last night. He's got a thick frame and wide shoulders, so looks bigger than his weight leads you to believe. First thing my son said was " yeah, he's a big safety".
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Round 2, welcome Sean Davis   Round 2, welcome Sean Davis EmptySat Apr 30, 2016 12:08 pm

Pete Prisco ✔‎@PriscoCBS

Kevin Colbert does it again. Sean Davis is a damn good safety. He will be a perfect pick for the Steelers. Grade: A+

3:19 PM - 29 Apr 2016
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Round 2, welcome Sean Davis   Round 2, welcome Sean Davis EmptySat Apr 30, 2016 1:16 pm

And a 21 rep bench makes one tough dude in the back end of the secondary. Round 2, welcome Sean Davis 3121608646
Back to top Go down
BKAnthem

PostSubject: Re: Round 2, welcome Sean Davis   Round 2, welcome Sean Davis EmptySat Apr 30, 2016 3:47 pm

Finally..I was hoping we snagged this Kid...finally threw that BPA shit out of the window and addressed needs. Round 2, welcome Sean Davis 1647293567
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Round 2, welcome Sean Davis   Round 2, welcome Sean Davis Empty

Back to top Go down

Round 2, welcome Sean Davis
Page 1 of 1