Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeNumbers stacked against Timmons Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Numbers stacked against Timmons

Go down 
+3
BlackAndGold
El-Gonzo Jackson
Wallace108
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Numbers stacked against Timmons Empty
PostSubject: Numbers stacked against Timmons   Numbers stacked against Timmons EmptyMon May 30, 2016 12:19 pm

By Mark Kaboly

Lawrence Timmons recently took a glance at the Steelers roster. He really didn't like what he saw.

“It's not good, I will tell you that,” Timmons said.

Timmons' disgust had nothing to do with a defense that is seemingly on the rise after a couple of thin years while rebuilding. Instead, it all had to do with the number that is now next to his name — 30.

Timmons — Mike Tomlin's first draft pick a decade ago — turned 30 two weeks ago. Timmons is the third oldest defensive player on the team and is one of a dozen thirty-somethings on the Steelers roster.

Some grow old gracefully. Timmons doesn't want to be one of those guys.

“Having that number next to my name is a little weird for me,” Timmons said. “But I guess it is growing on me.”

As Timmons starts his 10th NFL season, his age isn't his only concern.

His contract situation could trump that.

Despite Timmons' still playing at a high level at his inside linebacker position, this could be his final season with the Steelers.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/10534947-74/timmons-steelers-contract

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Numbers stacked against Timmons   Numbers stacked against Timmons EmptyMon May 30, 2016 12:48 pm

I think they lowball offer Timmons next season and he either takes the hometown discount to stay or gets more in the free agent market. They are likely willing to roll with Vince Williams and Shazier, plus see what Matakevich shows them in preseason.

If Matakevich shows he can be a Larry Foote type player, they likely feel good about him being the #4ILB for now.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Numbers stacked against Timmons   Numbers stacked against Timmons EmptyMon May 30, 2016 1:01 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
I think they lowball offer Timmons next season and he either takes the hometown discount to stay or gets more in the free agent market.

Yep, that's how I see it as well.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Numbers stacked against Timmons   Numbers stacked against Timmons EmptyMon May 30, 2016 2:24 pm

Between 2013-14, he played in 1,814 consecutive snaps. Last year, he played in every snap until Week 13 against the Bengals when he was replaced in some passing situations by safety Robert Golden.

Over the final four games, Timmons played in only 83 percent of the Steelers' snaps, which didn't set particularly well with him.

Not exactly the trend line the Steelers want from someone with a $15 million cap hit this year

Good to see the Steelers are taking the hit this year rather than play their usual game of restructuring and paying a player in decline in future years

Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Numbers stacked against Timmons   Numbers stacked against Timmons EmptyMon May 30, 2016 4:33 pm

Timmons was Tomlin's first draft pick as HC. I can't see him playing anywhere else

Something will get done, either an extension, or he's brought back next year.

Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Numbers stacked against Timmons   Numbers stacked against Timmons EmptyTue May 31, 2016 7:05 am

Atlanta Dan wrote:

Good to see the Steelers are taking the hit this year rather than play their usual game of restructuring and paying a player in decline in future years

Except Timmons isn't showing signs of decline yet, nor is he likely to in the next few years. As the article states, ILBs generally play effectively longer than most positions.

I think he'll resign with a modest hometown discount. He's NOT going to sign for the vet minimum, nor should he, Nor will the team insult him by trying to lowball him too much.

I do agree with you that we should eat his whole cap hit this year, since we're going to need our house in order cap-wise for Bell, DeCastro, and Brown.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Numbers stacked against Timmons   Numbers stacked against Timmons EmptyTue May 31, 2016 9:46 am

LambertLunatic wrote:
Atlanta Dan wrote:

Except Timmons isn't showing signs of decline yet, nor is he likely to in the next few years.  As the article states, ILBs generally play effectively longer than most positions.  

I think he'll resign with a modest hometown discount.  He's NOT going to sign for the vet minimum, nor should he,  Nor will the team insult him by trying to lowball  him too much.

I do agree with you that we should eat his whole cap hit this year, since we're going to need our house in order cap-wise for Bell, DeCastro, and Brown.  

Agreed that Timmons is still playing at a pretty good level, although they started taking him off the field on obvious passing situations near the end of the season. Most of the issues I saw with his game came from over-pursuit in the run game, which leads me to believe he didn't trust his teammates to do their jobs.

As far as the cap goes, if they want to resign DeCastro or Bell before the season, they'll definitely adjust Timmons' contract.  That doesn't mean they have to cramp their cap number going forward, but they could just add an extra year of two with a signing bonus that pushed the money into the future years. Where they have gotten themselves into some tight spots was reworking contracts by pushing money into the next few years without extending the length of the contact. In a way, Timmons would take a paycut in the future, but get some of the money upfront. In essence, they'd spread the same or slightly more money over a longer period of time.
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Numbers stacked against Timmons   Numbers stacked against Timmons EmptyTue May 31, 2016 10:59 am

LambertLunatic wrote:
Atlanta Dan wrote:

Except Timmons isn't showing signs of decline yet, nor is he likely to in the next few years.  As the article states, ILBs generally play effectively longer than most positions.  

I think he'll resign with a modest hometown discount.  He's NOT going to sign for the vet minimum, nor should he,  Nor will the team insult him by trying to lowball  him too much.

I do not regard Pro Football Focus as infallible (e.g. - their favorable opinion of Boykin's skills) but this article from late last season (around the time Timmons started to be taken off the field) identifies that if Timmons skills are not slipping they are not as well suited to the change in defensive scheme after Butler replaced LeBeau

Pittsburgh has run some odd things this season, and been caught more often than most teams in ugly situations, asking a lot of specific players. LB Lawrence Timmons seems to have been hung out to dry as much as anybody around the league, and it is reflected in a truly ugly grade from a player that has topped our linebacker rankings in the past.

This season, Timmons has poor grades against the run and pass, and is very close to the bottom-rated inside linebackers, rather than near the top.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-an-steelers-hanging-timmons-out-to-dry-not-putting-players-in-position-to-succeed/

But looking on the bright side for Timmons, he can always sign with the Titans next season since LeBeau is now the defensive coordinator there
Back to top Go down
LambertLunatic
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Numbers stacked against Timmons   Numbers stacked against Timmons EmptyTue May 31, 2016 11:23 am

But did they take Timmons out because of his decline, or because of Golden's assent? We don't know. Numbers stacked against Timmons 2829330259
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Numbers stacked against Timmons   Numbers stacked against Timmons EmptyTue May 31, 2016 12:54 pm

LambertLunatic wrote:
But did they take Timmons out because of his decline, or because of Golden's assent?  We don't know.  Numbers stacked against Timmons 2829330259

Neither his decline, nor Golden's assent. He was taken out because Shazier earned their trust in the passing game. Remember, in dime, 3 deep, etc, there are a few alignments that only 1 ILB stays on the field. For several years, that ILB was Timmons. But you just can't beat the speed that Shazier has, so they turned to him instead.

Timmons sucked so bad last year he lead the team in tackles (119) and was tied for 3rd in sacks (5). Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Numbers stacked against Timmons   Numbers stacked against Timmons EmptyTue May 31, 2016 1:46 pm

They wont pay a big amount for a 31 year old ILB that is now on the downward slope of his career. They may offer him something reasonable and there is no reason that Timmons wont play another 3-5 seasons if he wants to, but I think you realize he likely has a 3 year shelf life on him after this year.
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Numbers stacked against Timmons   Numbers stacked against Timmons EmptyTue May 31, 2016 2:48 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
They wont pay a big amount for a 31 year old ILB that is now on the downward slope of his career.  They may offer him something reasonable and there is no reason that Timmons wont play another 3-5 seasons if he wants to, but I think you realize he likely has a 3 year shelf life on him after this year.

Numbers stacked against Timmons 3964572787

This article states that the Steelers may be going to more dime/quarter defense going forward, which reduces Timmons playing time

Timmons Likely Not Thrilled About More Dime Defense

In an article regarding Timmons, Mark Kaboly of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review yesterday quoted the now-30-year-old linebacker as saying, “I always feel that I should be on the field helping my team”, referring to the fact that, over the course of the last four weeks of the season, he was taken off the field for over 50 snaps.

Kaboly wrote that the fact “didn’t set particularly well for him”, but he may not have a choice as the Steelers continue to shift more and more in the direction of focusing on sub-package football. Given the continued investment in the secondary, one can probably safely assume that the dime and quarter packages will be a defensive fixture in 2016, provided that they have the personnel to run it.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/05/timmons-likely-not-thrilled-dime-defense/

In addition to the $15 million owed to Timmons this season being hopefully one of the final last year of the contract bulge payouts for an aging vet that the Steelers traditionally restructured for immediate cap relief while creating further cap problems down the road, hard to see an ILB on the far side of thirty who is no longer an every down player not taking a significant haircut on any future contract.

Not saying Timmons has fallen off like 2013-2014 Troy, but his value is significantly diminished due mainly but not only to post-LeBeau defensive schemes
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Numbers stacked against Timmons   Numbers stacked against Timmons EmptyThu Jul 28, 2016 12:26 pm

Steelers, Timmons 'not close' to contract extension

By Mark Kaboly

Lawrence Timmons will report to his 10th training camp on Thursday — it very well could be his last with the Steelers.

Timmons and the Steelers have engaged in contract discussions but are “not close” to an agreement, according to industry sources.

If the two sides don't come to an agreement by the start of the season on Sept. 12, Timmons would become a free agent at the end of the season. The Steelers have had a long-standing rule of not negotiating contracts in season.

Timmons is in the final year of a $48 million contract he signed in 2011. Due to contract restructures in 2012, 2013 and 2015, his salary cap hit has ballooned to $15.1 million this year — trailing only Ben Roethlisberger's $24 million.

READ MORE: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/10867389-85/steelers-timmons-contract

Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Numbers stacked against Timmons   Numbers stacked against Timmons EmptyFri Jul 29, 2016 10:43 am

Wallace108 wrote:
Steelers, Timmons 'not close' to contract extension

By Mark Kaboly

Lawrence Timmons will report to his 10th training camp on Thursday — it very well could be his last with the Steelers.

Timmons and the Steelers have engaged in contract discussions but are “not close” to an agreement, according to industry sources.

If the two sides don't come to an agreement by the start of the season on Sept. 12, Timmons would become a free agent at the end of the season. The Steelers have had a long-standing rule of not negotiating contracts in season.

Timmons is in the final year of a $48 million contract he signed in 2011. Due to contract restructures in 2012, 2013 and 2015, his salary cap hit has ballooned to $15.1 million this year — trailing only Ben Roethlisberger's $24 million.

READ MORE: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/10867389-85/steelers-timmons-contract

I kinda wonder if the disagreement is more over # of years than it is about $$$. I almost see the Steelers not wanting to add more than 2 years to the end of his deal. That would put Timmons at 33 and in a tough spot to get any kind of a decent contract at that point.

But I've seen headlines like this before and within a week a deal is signed.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Numbers stacked against Timmons   Numbers stacked against Timmons EmptyFri Jul 29, 2016 8:32 pm

with the NFL more of a passing league smaller RBs and less FB lead blocking Tomlin an ex DB coach and Butler as the DC the Steelers keeps loading up on quality DBs.

I like Timmons think he has been over paid the last couple of year because of Steelers cap problems.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Numbers stacked against Timmons   Numbers stacked against Timmons Empty

Back to top Go down

Numbers stacked against Timmons
Page 1 of 1