Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSome Appreciation for Tomlin? Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Some Appreciation for Tomlin?

Go down 
+5
Wallace108
IowaSteeler927
solardave
kirklandrules
stlrtruck
9 posters
AuthorMessage
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

Some Appreciation for Tomlin? Empty
PostSubject: Some Appreciation for Tomlin?   Some Appreciation for Tomlin? EmptyWed Jul 20, 2016 8:10 am

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/little-appreciation-steelers-coach-mike-205649238.html

Quote :
Mike Tomlin is about to enter his 10th year as head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

I’ll bet you didn’t think that would happen, oh, say, about seven or eight years ago. You probably didn’t think Tomlin would last this long three years ago, when Pittsburgh missed the playoffs for a second-straight season.

Oh yeah, if you were the guy I talked to at the bar last fall who said (when referencing the coach’s early Super Bowl success), “Let’s be honest, Tomlin won with Cowher’s players,” you’re likely still hoping to see the day when the still young head coach is ousted.

I say to you and everyone else who wants a new Steelers head coach (you know who you are): Don’t hold your breath.

The man isn’t going anywhere.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Some Appreciation for Tomlin? 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Some Appreciation for Tomlin?   Some Appreciation for Tomlin? EmptyWed Jul 20, 2016 9:17 am

It's the result of using emotions instead of your brain, something we're teach our kids all too often. Here's an article to help illustrate the problem:

BBC News wrote:
Rankings based on maths and science, at age 15

1. Singapore

2. Hong Kong
3. South Korea

4. Japan
4. Taiwan

6. Finland
7. Estonia

8. Switzerland
9. Netherlands

10. Canada
11. Poland

12. Vietnam

USA was ranked 28th.

Read the entire article here.

And for those who know how to add and subtract, even fewer know how to apply the answer ... deductive reasoning is out the window.

Hence some fans feel Tomlin should be fired because he misses a challenge.

Other fans believe the weather was the cause of the Patriots* deflated footballs (and not the guy caught on camera stealing the balls from the officials' locker room and disappearing in the bathroom).

While one, lonely "fan" believes the Rooneys are absolute failures as owners, Haley is horrible for Ben's career and LeBeau was never a good defensive coordinator. Some Appreciation for Tomlin? 1505004552
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Some Appreciation for Tomlin?   Some Appreciation for Tomlin? EmptyWed Jul 20, 2016 2:27 pm

I'll admit there have been games where I was calling for his head because of what I thought were either poor calls that lost games but who the hell am I. Not a coach. Not on the field either. Not able to talk to assistant coaches about the strategy so when it's all said and done all I am is a fan who sometimes think our head coach blew a game. My opinion for what it's worth and I think I summed that up. Once I calm down I'm always able to see it from a different angle.

"While one, lonely "fan" believes the Rooneys are absolute failures as owners, Haley is horrible for Ben's career and LeBeau was never a good defensive coordinator. "

C'mon Kirk calling him a fan is a stretch don't you think? Some Appreciation for Tomlin? 2981382511
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Some Appreciation for Tomlin?   Some Appreciation for Tomlin? EmptyFri Jul 22, 2016 8:16 am

Tomlin will get appreciation so long as he keeps winning, I sincerely hope we don't end up with another 8-8 season because some of the fanbase seems to lose their minds when that happens. Then all the Fire Tomlin people come pouring out of the woodwork. Man I remember how bad the last 8-8 season was over at SF. People were literally calling for Tomlin's head, it was ridiculous, as if the team is just going to seamlessly transition from their Super Bowl era, into another Super Bowl era without missing a beat. Some people just have totally unrealistic expectations, winning two Super Bowls and going to a third in a ten year timespan, that makes people spoiled.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Some Appreciation for Tomlin?   Some Appreciation for Tomlin? EmptyFri Jul 22, 2016 12:58 pm

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
Tomlin will get appreciation so long as he keeps winning, I sincerely hope we don't end up with another 8-8 season because some of the fanbase seems to lose their minds when that happens. Then all the Fire Tomlin people come pouring out of the woodwork. Man I remember how bad the last 8-8 season was over at SF. People were literally calling for Tomlin's head, it was ridiculous, as if the team is just going to seamlessly transition from their Super Bowl era, into another Super Bowl era without missing a beat. Some people just have totally unrealistic expectations, winning two Super Bowls and going to a third in a ten year timespan, that makes people spoiled.

There's no question that we're spoiled as fans. The Steelers have been a consistent playoff contender for more than 20 years. Going back to the Cowher era, I can't think of too many years where I came into a season thinking there was no way the Steelers could make a playoff run. Yes, we had some losing seasons during that stretch, but the expectations were always high. Some fans hope to make the playoffs. We expect to make the playoffs. EVERY YEAR. Fans under 30 don't know what it's like to root for a bad, or even mediocre, team. So when we don't have a good year, it's the end of the world for some fans. It's frustrating, but understandable, that some fans lose their minds. That's what being spoiled does to you.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Some Appreciation for Tomlin?   Some Appreciation for Tomlin? EmptySat Jul 23, 2016 3:47 am

Wallace108 wrote:

There's no question that we're spoiled as fans. The Steelers have been a consistent playoff contender for more than 20 years. Going back to the Cowher era, I can't think of too many years where I came into a season thinking there was no way the Steelers could make a playoff run. Yes, we had some losing seasons during that stretch, but the expectations were always high. Some fans hope to make the playoffs. We expect to make the playoffs. EVERY YEAR. Fans under 30 don't know what it's like to root for a bad, or even mediocre, team. So when we don't have a good year, it's the end of the world for some fans. It's frustrating, but understandable, that some fans lose their minds. That's what being spoiled does to you.

Sad that it is that way. People just need to temper their expectations and put faith in the organization that the team is going to get better. We might have a down season now and then, but generally this team rebounds strong after those kinds of seasons.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
vasteeler

vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: Some Appreciation for Tomlin?   Some Appreciation for Tomlin? EmptySat Jul 23, 2016 9:46 am

The only time I had a problem with Tomlin was on the day he was hired. I remember thinking to myself " holy shit who is this guy they turned the Steelers over to. I have never heard of this guy and he is younger than me....we are fucked". Ten years later and I wouldn't want ANY other coach.

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
Mach1
Quest For Seven
Mach1

PostSubject: Re: Some Appreciation for Tomlin?   Some Appreciation for Tomlin? EmptySat Jul 23, 2016 1:23 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
IowaSteeler927 wrote:

I have those years mentally blocked. Some Appreciation for Tomlin? 1797695198

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Some Appreciation for Tomlin?   Some Appreciation for Tomlin? EmptySat Jul 23, 2016 1:27 pm

Mach1 wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:
IowaSteeler927 wrote:

Yeah, I've blocked out the 80s as well. Although I think it has more to do with hair metal than Cliff Stoudt and Mark Malone. Some Appreciation for Tomlin? 1797695198

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
steelerdude15

steelerdude15

PostSubject: Re: Some Appreciation for Tomlin?   Some Appreciation for Tomlin? EmptySun Jul 24, 2016 11:11 am

Wallace108 wrote:
IowaSteeler927 wrote:

Oh I know what it is like to root for a bad team. I remember the Steelers in the late nineties and 2003. I also had to root for the Pirates during the 20 consecutive years of losing seasons they went through.

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Some Appreciation for Tomlin?   Some Appreciation for Tomlin? EmptySun Jul 24, 2016 12:57 pm

steelerdude15 wrote:
Oh I know what it is like to root for a bad team. I remember the Steelers in the late nineties and 2003. I also had to root for the Pirates during the 20 consecutive years of losing seasons they went through.

Yeah, there was a 3-year stretch from 1998-2000 where they went 7-9, 6-10, and 9-7. But then in 2001 they bounced back to finish 13-3. They followed that up with another 6-10 season, but then finished 15-1 and 11-5 with a Super Bowl win. Compare that with this stretch of mediocrity from 1984-1991:

1984: 9-7
1985: 7-9
1986: 6-10
1987: 8-7
1988: 5-11
1989: 9-7
1990: 9-7
1991: 7-9

Can you imagine Steelers fans today having to go almost a decade without winning more than 9 games in a season? Heads would explode.

I was focusing on the Steelers, and not the Pirates, when I made my earlier comment. So you got me there. Some Appreciation for Tomlin? 1797695198

Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Some Appreciation for Tomlin?   Some Appreciation for Tomlin? EmptySun Jul 24, 2016 1:36 pm

Does Mike Tomlin Bear Any Responsibility With Bell or Bryant?

by steeldad

Some Appreciation for Tomlin? Tomlin-768x512

As we approach 24 hours since the depressing and angering news about Le’Veon Bell’s potential suspension, a common point of interest has surfaced on social media. Does Head Coach Mike Tomlin bear any responsibility in this mess?

The answer in my opinion is “no.”

There are however some things that Mike Tomlin needs to do in order to try and keep this crap from happening again. But I’ll get to those later because I want to focus on why he isn’t to blame first.

to read rest of article:

http://steelcityblitz.com/2016/07/23/mike-tomlin-bear-responsibility-bell-bryant/
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Some Appreciation for Tomlin?   Some Appreciation for Tomlin? EmptyMon Jul 25, 2016 2:31 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
Mach1 wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:
IowaSteeler927 wrote:

Yeah, I've blocked out the 80s as well. Although I think it has more to do with hair metal than Cliff Stoudt and Mark Malone. Some Appreciation for Tomlin? 1797695198

I'm sorry, I'm not understanding what you guys are referring to at this moment?

What are these 80's you speak of? Are we talking MPH? Temperatures?

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Some Appreciation for Tomlin? 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Some Appreciation for Tomlin?   Some Appreciation for Tomlin? Empty

Back to top Go down

Some Appreciation for Tomlin?
Page 1 of 1