Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSeason over - Page 2 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Season over

Go down 
+18
MrFootball
kirklandrules
steelcrazy
Drizztbob
jak341
BlackAndGold
El-Gonzo Jackson
Steeler-in-west
OX1947
WVABE
Rick5895
SteelerSpartan
muncher
SteelerFreak58
Lokki
Atlanta Dan
SteelerEmpire
Fire Arians
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
MrFootball
Banned

Season over - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Season over   Season over - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 07, 2016 4:20 pm

Quote :
but I will give secondary blame to the Offensive line for not owning the run blocking game.

Yo Wallace?
Back to top Go down
MrFootball
Banned

PostSubject: Re: Season over   Season over - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 07, 2016 4:44 pm

11 of 17 games on the road 20 points or less on offense.

Ben was healthy, the game plan stunk.

As usual on the road since 2012.
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Season over   Season over - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 07, 2016 4:51 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
kirklandrules wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Ask yourself this question....Who played a better game at QB?  Landry Jones vs the Patriots****** Defense or Ben Roethisberger vs the Ravens Defense??  That might give you a hint as to why this "highly touted offense" didn't put up 30 points.

Exactly. Ben's record when coming off injury is poor. And he usually comes back ahead of schedule. I was hoping to see Jones out there and give Ben another 2 weeks to heal. And I didn't see him favoring that knee, so I am placing no blame on his injury. Bad reads and really bad throws.

I think you and I are the only people that actually wanted to see Landry Jones start this game instead of Ben.  I agree with you completely and think Ben should have been the backup, Jones starts and Ben comes in if needed.  Bad reads and bad throws are the real reason why the offense didn't do much....but I will give secondary blame to the Offensive line for not owning the run blocking game.

Agreed - Ben usually is rusty his first game back from an injury (unfortunately we have a lot of data points), maybe because he always is brought back too soon - and for whatever reason he has become much worse on the road

He torched the Browns last year (after he dressed but did not start) , but other flameouts included

2005 - Indy
2006 - Jax (after which a checked out Cowher IMO sent a still concussed Ben out against Oakland later that season)
2015 - Bengals

And the OL is a train wreck - DeCastro is having an awful season
Back to top Go down
MrFootball
Banned

PostSubject: Re: Season over   Season over - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 07, 2016 5:01 pm

Quote :
2005 - Indy

Conservative game plan then too.

Quote :
2006 - Jax (after which a checked out Cowher IMO sent a still concussed Ben out against Oaklansd)

And yet the MINUTE they went to the no huddle? Right down the field, TD.

Did his head somehow get better?

Quote :
2015 - Bengals

Nope. Just good adjustments for Marvin Lewis after Ben came out firing on the first drive and right down the field. That defense has always given him fits BEFORE Haley's simpleton scheme showed up.

Will Johnson (That great weapon) also didn't come back for the ball OR go deep, he stood there and let the DB cut in front of him.

Having Johnson running that route is laughable as it is.

Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Season over   Season over - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 07, 2016 5:12 pm

MrFootball wrote:

Quote :
2006 - Jax (after which a checked out Cowher IMO sent a still concussed Ben out against Oaklansd)

And yet the MINUTE they went to the no huddle?  Right down the field, TD.  

Did his head somehow get better?

Oakland 2006 was five sacks, four picks and two pick sixes after he was knocked out (literally) the week before in Atlanta

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200610290rai.htm

No his head did not get better
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Season over   Season over - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 07, 2016 5:16 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Steeler-in-west wrote:
Technically it's not over but it feels over. Poor tackling, dumb penalties, players look unprepared, team out of sync in general....
I blame the coaches. Either that or our players forgot how to play.

I'm leaning on the former

Before you can beat a team, you have to beat the guy in front of you.  O line didn't beat the guys in front of them in the run game.  The WR's beat some of the guys covering them, but Ben threw it to the guys that were double covered most of the day.

Defensively the Steelers contained the run, but a couple mistakes and big plays hurt (Davis not blocking in the punt, Burns not able to cover the slant and Mitchell taking a bad angle).  I still think intermediate crossing routes are far too easy vs the Steelers and the pass rush is the worst I have seen in 35 years as a Steeler fan.  That isn't coaching, its lack of talent.

I'm with you up until your last sentence. I don't think it's a lack of talent as much as our best players are either rollin' joints or fragile. Pouncey misses an average of 8 games a year and Shazier can't stay on the field for more than a couple games.We have talented players that play like shit. I felt like Ben should have been yanked at halftime to send a message to everyone that it doesn't matter who you are. I think a lot of this falls on the coaches. You have to know your players and screw the argument that these guys are professionals. Some of the greatest coaches like Lombardi, and Knoll knew their players and how to get the most out of them. I don't know what these coaches make but I do know they get paid well. If we expect these high paid players to be professional we also have to have professional coaches who can motivate players.
Back to top Go down
MrFootball
Banned

PostSubject: Re: Season over   Season over - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 07, 2016 5:19 pm

One pick six was a tipped ball. One was a long pick 6 after Nate Washington was being held by the collar, and Heath Miller dropped a TD the play before. 14 point swing.

Heath catches the play before and Carr's not running 100 yards. The other was a great play when a LB jumped up and caught a ball. Not a poor decision at all.

Gotta watch the game, not just the box score.

Back to top Go down
MrFootball
Banned

PostSubject: Re: Season over   Season over - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 07, 2016 5:20 pm

Quote :
I felt like Ben should have been yanked at halftime to send a message to everyone that it doesn't matter who you are.

Hahahahahaha

Then Ben no longer plays for this team.
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Season over   Season over - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 07, 2016 5:28 pm

MrFootball wrote:
One pick six was a tipped ball.  One was a long pick 6 after Nate Washington was being held by the collar, and Heath Miller dropped a TD the play before.  14 point swing.  

Heath catches the play before and Carr's not running 100 yards.  The other was a great play when a LB jumped up and caught a ball.  Not a poor decision at all.  

Gotta watch the game, not just the box score.  

So Ben actually plays well coming back from an injury despite the stats?

I watched that game - so did Ron Cook of the Post-Gazette

The Raiders won, 20-13, because Roethlisberger played a Tommy Maddox game, a Kordell Stewart game, a Kent Graham game.

They won because Bad Ben stunk.

http://www.post-gazette.com/ron-cook/2006/10/30/Cook-Ugly-loss-raises-ugly-questions/stories/200610300150

Troll on
Back to top Go down
MrFootball
Banned

PostSubject: Re: Season over   Season over - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 07, 2016 5:40 pm

And yet not one mention of Miller's 14 point swing.  

Hell he didn't mention Plax's terrible day which would have helped Maddox against the Texans either.

Like I said, gotta watch the games.  

Ben gets in trouble because we start slow.  Me?  I would have went 3 wide, 1 TE, 1 RB and go hurry up right out of the gate.  

Ben threw 12 TD's in 2 weeks in Pittsburgh in 2014.  

We got to New York, and we didn't allow Ben to attempt a pass longer than 7 yards, until there were 6 minutes left in the half against two CB's with a combined six starts and fell behind 17-0. Toddy also tried this dink and dunk BS against the Ravens the following week after the Colts game and fell behind 10-0. Only that time Ben was able to save him.  

I guess he was hurt then too.  

11 of 17 road games:  20 points or less on offense.  Ben wasn't coming off injury in all of them.

That's Joe Walton/Kevin Gilbride territory for Boy Genius Todd Haley.  

Save Ben's career by promoting Fichtner and get back to their PROVEN method of success with OC's.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Season over   Season over - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 07, 2016 9:29 pm

Atlanta Dan wrote:
[

And the OL is a train wreck - DeCastro is having an awful season

I don't think its that bad, but already Foster, Pouncey and Gilbert have missed games due to injury. DeCastro is playing below par and Al Villaneuva was always the weakest link of the starting 5. The hopeful situation is that they can get healthy and play together the rest of the way.

the offense needs to carry things, because the best pass rusher is 38 year old Harrison and the best Safety on the team would be Will Allen if he was on the roster. Season over - Page 2 1505004552
Back to top Go down
Steeler-in-west

Steeler-in-west

PostSubject: Re: Season over   Season over - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 07, 2016 10:22 pm

It's more than just Ben playing hurt in Baltimore. We underperformed in philly and Miami this year. We've underperformed a few times last year in games which cost us home field. Noll teams hardly ever underperformed. But we've developed a pattern. I don't know if it the coordinators or Tomlin or both (or even locker room leadership included). But I don't buy the notion that this is a talent issue.
Back to top Go down
MrFootball
Banned

PostSubject: Re: Season over   Season over - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 07, 2016 10:29 pm

Not a talent issue. It's an ego issue.

Todd Haley is all about Todd Haley.

And it shows.

The way he publicly threw Ben under the bus after the Chargers game last season? If I were Ben I would have stayed home the next week when they played the Cardinals and paid the fine.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Season over   Season over - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 08, 2016 1:39 am

What I see from this team is that they crumple under pressure and expectations. They play down to competition with less talent, and those which are inferior on paper consistently. This has been going on year in and year out. With the way we played against Baltimore we should've gotten blown out, but we didn't. If the offense and special teams weren't so spectacularly awful I think we'd of won this game. The Ravens really weren't much better. They just made two plays that really stood out. The long TD to One-Trick-Pony where two missed tackles enabled him to run for the easiest TD of his career. Then there was the blocked punt. Outside of that the Ravens were pretty abysmal offensively, and they were coughing up the football. We even looked like we had a pass rush for once, which strangely happened when James Harrison started to see more snaps...

The consistently great teams, seem to play well no matter what. If anyone on this team gets hurt there's such a difference in talent between the starters and the backups it's unreal. It also doesn't help that we have starters on this team that would be backups on most other teams. Everything all around needs to improve. Players need to play better, and the coaches need to be better themselves. This team was woefully unprepared for the Ravens. How many botched snaps were there? I remember at least two of them. Constant stupid penalties, turning the ball over... Special Teams hasn't done jack shit this season, we're lucky to get past the 20yd line on kickoffs, and haven't had one kickoff return for a TD yet. The offense which is supposed to be "unstoppable" has been incredibly inconsistent. The defense has been wildy inconsistent as well, and if they lose a starter they get much worse.

I'll still watch, I still love my Steelers but I'm getting tired of the struggles season in and season out. If they want to be great they need consistent coaching, and they need to play consistently. You don't see teams like the Patriots*** having these struggles, they can plug in a 3rd string quarterback and beat good and decent teams. We lose so much as one starter and you might as well forget the next man up mantra, because we get noticeably worse.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Season over   Season over - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 08, 2016 6:11 am

MrFootball wrote:
Quote :
I felt like Ben should have been yanked at halftime to send a message to everyone that it doesn't matter who you are.

Hahahahahaha  

What? No HOF QB has ever been benched? How would this be the end for Ben as a Steeler?
Back to top Go down
MrFootball
Banned

PostSubject: Re: Season over   Season over - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 08, 2016 10:45 am

solardave wrote:
MrFootball wrote:
Quote :

Hahahahahaha  

What? No HOF QB has ever been benched?  How would this be the end for Ben as a Steeler?

In his prime? When he's the unquestioned leader of this football team? For bad play? I would bet almost never.

When you bench your leader, he's not your leader anymore. Then they finish out on the bench before they go.

Just the nature of Ben's position. Always has been around the league.
Back to top Go down
MrFootball
Banned

PostSubject: Re: Season over   Season over - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 08, 2016 4:50 pm

Fire Arians wrote:
This is not a good team, week in and week out I haven't seen a more unprepared team. They can't even get ready to play a top division rival. I'm calling it now we're having an 8-8 season at best

Let's be honest here. If *I* came on this board and posted that above? What's said?

Troll this, troll that, etc.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Season over   Season over - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 08, 2016 10:51 pm

MrFootball wrote:
Fire Arians wrote:
This is not a good team, week in and week out I haven't seen a more unprepared team. They can't even get ready to play a top division rival. I'm calling it now we're having an 8-8 season at best

Let's be honest here.  If *I* came on this board and posted that above?  What's said?  

I don't think you're a troll at all.

I just think you're an annoying asshole...
Back to top Go down
MrFootball
Banned

PostSubject: Re: Season over   Season over - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 08, 2016 10:56 pm

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
MrFootball wrote:
Fire Arians wrote:

Let's be honest here.  If *I* came on this board and posted that above?  What's said?  

And yet this "annoying asshole" told you to grow a set and go back to Planet and not give those idiots the satisfaction of running you off.

PS......Atlanta? You were saying?
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Season over   Season over - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 08, 2016 11:02 pm

MrFootball wrote:
Atlanta?  You were saying?  

Season over - Page 2 Dont-Cry-Baby-6
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Season over   Season over - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 09, 2016 12:21 am

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
MrFootball wrote:
Fire Arians wrote:

Mr. Football,

Season over - Page 2 188732_486865261356144_1199915369_n

Season over - Page 2 3562723908 Season over - Page 2 3562723908 Season over - Page 2 3562723908
Back to top Go down
MrFootball
Banned

PostSubject: Re: Season over   Season over - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 09, 2016 12:24 am

That's pretty funny.

But not football related.

Season over - Page 2 2697857646
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Season over   Season over - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Season over
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2