Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers @ Patriots***** Game Day Thread - Page 14 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers @ Patriots***** Game Day Thread

Go down 
+34
Chaotic Zen
rellimie
njsteeler87v2
OX1947
Steeler-in-west
zcoop
SteelCity4Life
Scottish Steeler
kirklandrules
FrancoLambert
steelcrazy
Steelcitian
StainlessStill
Drizztbob
schillah
Shalieve5090
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu
SteelerSpartan
solardave
Mach1
IowaSteeler927
LambertWardSteel
Atlanta Dan
jak341
Wallace108
Rick5895
El-Gonzo Jackson
SteelersYak
effyou515
Lokki
SteelerFreak58
Fire Arians
Jazzo
stlrtruck
38 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14
AuthorMessage
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

Steelers @ Patriots***** Game Day Thread - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steelers @ Patriots***** Game Day Thread   Steelers @ Patriots***** Game Day Thread - Page 14 EmptySun Jan 22, 2017 10:09 pm

Melvin Ingram from the Chargers is a double digit sack OLB that will be available in FA. We have to get a proven NFL OLB that can put pressure on a QB if we go OLB first in the draft he can't be a whiff...

The problem of going OLB in the draft is we will have a rookie to groom...
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Steelers @ Patriots***** Game Day Thread   Steelers @ Patriots***** Game Day Thread - Page 14 EmptySun Jan 22, 2017 10:15 pm

Tweet from Tim Benz.

"Not clear cut offseason for PGH-How to handle 26 deal.Bryant Back?Green concussion case.Potentially replacing 94/92/34.Building WR depth.ETC"

https://twitter.com/TimBenzPGH/status/823367006326059008

Last edited by jak341 on Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Steelers @ Patriots***** Game Day Thread   Steelers @ Patriots***** Game Day Thread - Page 14 EmptySun Jan 22, 2017 10:30 pm

jak341 wrote:
Tweet from Tim Benz.

"Not clear cut offseason for PGH-How to handle 26 deal.Bryant Back?Green concussion case.Potentially replacing 94/92/34.Building WR depth.ETC"

Franchise 26 - with the groin injury he once again did not make it through a season, which was no surprise given his workload since November. And just a wild guess he has not quit pot.

Harrison returns

Timmons leaves - he gets more money elsewhere (LeBeau in Tennessee?)

Williams is gone

Green gets a contract settlement or is just released - his concussions have reached the point of no return

Who knows with Bryant - I doubt he stays clean
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Steelers @ Patriots***** Game Day Thread   Steelers @ Patriots***** Game Day Thread - Page 14 EmptySun Jan 22, 2017 10:50 pm

Atlanta Dan wrote:
jak341 wrote:
Tweet from Tim Benz.

Franchise 26 - with the groin injury he once again did not make it through a season, which was no surprise given his workload since November.  And just a wild guess he has not quit pot.

Harrison returns

Williams is gone

Green gets a contract settlement or is just released - his concussions have reached the point of no return

My thoughts:

• Agree with Bell
  • Optimistic about Bryant, but the off season is long and dull. Wouldn't be surprised to see him get busted again. Hope he makes it to camp, but have a good backup plan. That plan may not be on the team now.
  • Harrison is done. I just can't see him around another season, and how much production we could get out of him. Honestly, I think it's time for him to ride off and take his place among the legends. I don't want to see him a shell of himself and end up getting cut. Go out on a high note.
  • Timmons may be back, but it will have to be the hometown discount. We have too many other needs.
  • D-Will is gone. Can't see him coming back. Sorry we couldn't get you a ring D-Will. You deserved one.
  • Green will be back, but will always have questions surrounding him (Can he take a hit?)

So, here is what we will need: ILB, OLB, possibly a #2WR, and a #2 RB. And I don't think any of these are on the team today. The first 3 are concerning.

I also think we just passed year 2 of a 3 year window.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers @ Patriots***** Game Day Thread   Steelers @ Patriots***** Game Day Thread - Page 14 EmptySun Jan 22, 2017 10:52 pm

Atlanta Dan wrote:
jak341 wrote:
Tweet from Tim Benz.

Franchise 26 - with the groin injury he once again did not make it through a season, which was no surprise given his workload since November.  And just a wild guess he has not quit pot.

Harrison returns

Williams is gone

Whoever this Tim Benz guy is, I would say that you just owned him here. Steelers @ Patriots***** Game Day Thread - Page 14 3211927700

Seriously, every year there are roster questions and bloggers or pundits that act like its something new are just drama queens. I also like the Melvin Ingram idea like SteelerFreak said but I don't know if its in the cap room.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Steelers @ Patriots***** Game Day Thread   Steelers @ Patriots***** Game Day Thread - Page 14 EmptySun Jan 22, 2017 11:09 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Atlanta Dan wrote:
jak341 wrote:
Tweet from Tim Benz.

Harrison returns

Williams is gone

Whoever this Tim Benz guy is, I would say that you just owned him here.  Steelers @ Patriots***** Game Day Thread - Page 14 3211927700

Seriously, every year there are roster questions and bloggers or pundits that act like its something new are just drama queens.  I also like the Melvin Ingram idea like SteelerFreak said but I don't know if its in the cap room.

We are projected to be between 36 to 41 million in cap space for 2017, 36 is the low but if they bump it up because of revenue to the players (which has happened every year since the last agreement) it could go up as high as 41 million.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers @ Patriots***** Game Day Thread   Steelers @ Patriots***** Game Day Thread - Page 14 EmptySun Jan 22, 2017 11:38 pm

Thanks SteelerFreak. I also think the Steelers need to get Cockrell a contract, think about Shazier , Villanueva and Tuitt's deals and figure out what to do with Justin Gilbert and his salary.

Every year there are decisions to make and Khan, Colbert and co get it done. Its gonna happen, but I agree with you that we need a pass rusher opposite Dupree and maybe Free Agency is where to do that, while we save with young guys elsewhere like maybe at ILB for starters.
Back to top Go down
Shalieve5090

Shalieve5090

PostSubject: Re: Steelers @ Patriots***** Game Day Thread   Steelers @ Patriots***** Game Day Thread - Page 14 EmptySun Jan 22, 2017 11:53 pm

Just FYI, Harrison said post game he will be back, said hes not done yet, so theres that
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Steelers @ Patriots***** Game Day Thread   Steelers @ Patriots***** Game Day Thread - Page 14 EmptyMon Jan 23, 2017 12:12 pm

ImmaculateGreenePolamalu wrote:
effyou515 wrote:
also the Patriots*** won both sides of the ball in the trenches. zone only works when you get pressure on the QB and make him throw some bad throws.

Martavis Bryant was really missed in this game with him in the game Brown wouldn't be doubled covered all game.

Eli Rogers was a bright spot.
I think James stepped it up tonigh too. Thought he had a TD there. Shame it wasn't. We had to score a TD there and didn't. I think we're almost there.  It's an unfortuante end to a promising season though. Didn't think we'd be here when we were 4-5. I was worried about one or done or even missing all together and you guys know me by now, I'm usually glass half full.

the Steelers went deeper in the playoffs then i thought At the beginning of the year just getting into the playoffs as a wild card team would of made me happy.

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Steelers @ Patriots***** Game Day Thread   Steelers @ Patriots***** Game Day Thread - Page 14 EmptyMon Jan 23, 2017 5:17 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Thanks SteelerFreak.  I also think the Steelers need to get Cockrell a contract, think about Shazier , Villanueva and Tuitt's deals and figure out what to do with Justin Gilbert and his salary.  

Every year there are decisions to make and Khan, Colbert and co get it done.  Its gonna happen, but I agree with you that we need a pass rusher opposite Dupree and maybe Free Agency is where to do that, while we save with young guys elsewhere like maybe at ILB for starters.

P-G article on Villanueva

At the moment, he looks like a guy starting to turn his raw physical gifts — 6-foot-9, athletic enough to play wide receiver in college — into on-field success. After a shaky first season on the Steelers’ offensive line and an uneven start to 2016, he finished the season as Pro Football Focus’ 23rd ranked offensive tackle. From Week 11 onward, he was No. 6.

The potential for a huge payday is certainly present for Villanueva. Whether it comes in Pittsburgh, he has “absolutely no clue.” He alluded to “emotional stuff” at the start of the season, calling the team’s decision to bring in Ryan Harris as veteran competition “humbling,” but said he settled in as the season progressed.

“[The training camp battle] made me feel a little bit insecure, but towards the end I was feeling pretty comfortable about who I was as a player,” Villanueva said. “Hopefully I can get the trust from other teams or this team to continue to play, and play left tackle in the NFL.”

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/sean-gentille/2017/01/23/alejandro-villanueva-steelers-offseason-contract-army-ranger-cmu-business-school.html

No surprise he was not thrilled about Harris being brought in but between "having no clue" whether he is staying in Pittsburgh and hoping to "get the trust from other teams or this team" he does not seem to bleed black and gold.

But I recall he is an exclusive rights free agent so I doubt he is going anywhere.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers @ Patriots***** Game Day Thread   Steelers @ Patriots***** Game Day Thread - Page 14 EmptyMon Jan 23, 2017 6:34 pm

Atlanta Dan wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Thanks SteelerFreak.  I also think the Steelers need to get Cockrell a contract, think about Shazier , Villanueva and Tuitt's deals and figure out what to do with Justin Gilbert and his salary.  

Every year there are decisions to make and Khan, Colbert and co get it done.  Its gonna happen, but I agree with you that we need a pass rusher opposite Dupree and maybe Free Agency is where to do that, while we save with young guys elsewhere like maybe at ILB for starters.

P-G article on Villanueva

At the moment, he looks like a guy starting to turn his raw physical gifts — 6-foot-9, athletic enough to play wide receiver in college — into on-field success. After a shaky first season on the Steelers’ offensive line and an uneven start to 2016, he finished the season as Pro Football Focus’ 23rd ranked offensive tackle. From Week 11 onward, he was No. 6.

The potential for a huge payday is certainly present for Villanueva. Whether it comes in Pittsburgh, he has “absolutely no clue.” He alluded to “emotional stuff” at the start of the season, calling the team’s decision to bring in Ryan Harris as veteran competition “humbling,” but said he settled in as the season progressed.

“[The training camp battle] made me feel a little bit insecure, but towards the end I was feeling pretty comfortable about who I was as a player,” Villanueva said. “Hopefully I can get the trust from other teams or this team to continue to play, and play left tackle in the NFL.”

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/sean-gentille/2017/01/23/alejandro-villanueva-steelers-offseason-contract-army-ranger-cmu-business-school.html

No surprise he was not thrilled about Harris being brought in but between "having no clue" whether he is staying in Pittsburgh and hoping to "get the trust from other teams or this team" he does not seem to bleed black and gold.

But I recall he is an exclusive rights free agent so I doubt he is going anywhere.

I have seen highschool kids with better technique than AV at the start of the year. He should not have felt any fear of Harris being signed, but rather understood the business and that competition and insurance is part of the NFL when protecting Ben's blindside.

I mentioned several times in the latter half of the season that he was looking real good. His pass sets were more balanced and he was delivering a blow and extending his arms, all the while doing a good job of staying square so as not to get beat on inside counters. AV might command a contract and some good $, and he may also be too expensive for the Steelers next year as they cant sign everybody.

I would enjoy seeing him given a contract, but they can pay everybody on the O line, so I wont be surprised if they cant pay him and try to ride with the veteran Harris and the 2nd year Hawkins next season.
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Steelers @ Patriots***** Game Day Thread   Steelers @ Patriots***** Game Day Thread - Page 14 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2017 4:37 am

Atlanta Dan wrote:
jak341 wrote:
Tweet from Tim Benz.

Harrison returns

Williams is gone

I don't see Timmons going anywhere. As stated in the article below Steelers players think he's Tomlin's favourite player so he won't let him go. He's the first player Tomlin ever drafted.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000777008/article/steelers-on-steelers-mike-tomlins-favorite-future-politician
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers @ Patriots***** Game Day Thread   Steelers @ Patriots***** Game Day Thread - Page 14 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2017 6:07 am

Bell gets tagged. It wouldn't make sense to do anything else at this point.
Harrison for one more year.
Timmons for one more year.
DW is gone and we draft a RB 3rd or 4th round.
Green gets injury settlement. He really needs to think of long term health and get out now.
I think AV is the starter going forward
I think we trade Bryant for a first round pick next year and draft his replacement in 4th or 5th round. I think Rogers will become a serious threat as our #2 or at least #3 next year.
I know we're below the cap but a guy like Ingram could eat up a huge chunk. One mock has us picking Charles Harris out of Mizzou. 6'3" 260 Junior. 9 sacks. Another mock has us taking either TE O.J. Howard or OLB Takkarist McKinley 6'2" 250 10 sacks last year.
If we could sign Ingram O.J. Howard might make sense.
If we're only going to use Justin Gilbert on some KOs why do we keep him?
We need Dbs that can plan man when needed and I don't think Cockrell figures in.I'm not saying we cut or trade him as much as draft a replacement or sign a FA. We can't go to the SB playing off of receivers and let QBs pick us apart like Brady did. On that note I think Mitchell may be gone before camp ends next year.
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Steelers @ Patriots***** Game Day Thread   Steelers @ Patriots***** Game Day Thread - Page 14 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2017 11:00 am

solardave wrote:
Green gets injury settlement. He really needs to think of long term health and get out now.
I think we trade Bryant for a first round pick next year and draft his replacement in 4th or 5th round. I think Rogers will become a serious threat as our #2 or at least #3 next year.
I know we're below the cap but a guy like Ingram could eat up a huge chunk. One mock has us picking Charles Harris out of Mizzou. 6'3" 260 Junior. 9 sacks. Another mock has us taking either TE O.J. Howard or OLB Takkarist McKinley 6'2" 250 10 sacks last year.
We need Dbs that can plan man when needed and I don't think Cockrell figures in.I'm not saying we cut or trade him as much as draft a replacement or sign a FA. We can't go to the SB playing off of receivers and let QBs pick us apart like Brady did. On that note I think Mitchell may be gone before camp ends next year.

I agree with almost everything, but I don't think we can get a first round pick for Bryant. If a team is crazy enough though Steelers @ Patriots***** Game Day Thread - Page 14 1557163439 Giving his past, a third round pick is more likely to me. Rogers is an excellent slot receiver, but we need a big WR to go accross with AB. I expect them to take one in rounds 1-3.
It would be great to sign Ingram in FA, that would solve a lot of problems draftwise. O.J. Howard would be great at 30, but I expect him already gone by then. A lot of teams could use him (Bucs/Broncos/Giants).
I'd like to see what Gilbert is worth after a full trainingscamp. It's not easy to have an immediate impact when you join a team during the season because of the practice policies of the CBA. Whether he's a success or a bust I think we still need to draft a CB early, because of quality and depth. We were very lucky that after Golson's injury Gay, Cockrell and Burns stayed healthy during the season.
I don't see Mitchell leave us as the draft is very thin at S it appears.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers @ Patriots***** Game Day Thread   Steelers @ Patriots***** Game Day Thread - Page 14 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2017 11:28 am

Stella Nation wrote:
solardave wrote:

I agree with almost everything, but I don't think we can get a first round pick for Bryant. If a team is crazy enough though Steelers @ Patriots***** Game Day Thread - Page 14 1557163439 Giving his past, a third round pick is more likely to me. Rogers is an excellent slot receiver, but we need a big WR to go accross with AB. I expect them to take one in rounds 1-3.
It would be great to sign Ingram in FA, that would solve a lot of problems draftwise. O.J. Howard would be great at 30, but I expect him already gone by then. A lot of teams could use him (Bucs/Broncos/Giants).
I'd like to see what Gilbert is worth after a full trainingscamp. It's not easy to have an immediate impact when you join a team during the season because of the practice policies of the CBA. Whether he's a success or a bust I think we still need to draft a CB early, because of quality and depth. We were very lucky that after Golson's injury Gay, Cockrell and Burns stayed healthy during the season.

The Redskins will probably give us 2 ones and a 3 for Bryant Steelers @ Patriots***** Game Day Thread - Page 14 1797695198 I agree we need a big WR and that's why I said Rogers might just be our #3. If Golsen makes it back (and Gilbert pans out) we might see a totally different secondary. One with depth. Gay is probably good for one more year as a backup. Mitchell tries to hard to be a tough guy. That's not a bad thing until it draws flags. Now I can't wait for the draft. Steelers @ Patriots***** Game Day Thread - Page 14 1647293567
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Steelers @ Patriots***** Game Day Thread   Steelers @ Patriots***** Game Day Thread - Page 14 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2017 12:05 pm

solardave wrote:
Stella Nation wrote:
solardave wrote:

The Redskins will probably give us 2 ones and a 3 for Bryant Steelers @ Patriots***** Game Day Thread - Page 14 1797695198  I agree we need a big WR and that's why I said Rogers might just be our #3. If Golsen makes it back (and Gilbert pans out) we  might see a totally different secondary. One with depth. Gay is probably good for one more year as a backup. Mitchell tries to hard to be a tough guy. That's not a bad thing until it draws flags. Now I can't wait for the draft. Steelers @ Patriots***** Game Day Thread - Page 14 1647293567

I agree with you on Mitchell, although he was playing better the last weeks of the regular season and in the play-offs, except against the Patriots* of course. But I'm afraid we're stuck with him as a starter one more year.

My ideal scenario:
Ingram in FA
Draft:
Round 1: WR/Howard
Round 2: CB/WR (if Howard in round 1)
Round 3: Engram (if not Howard) RB/CB/S
Round 4: RB/S

Also a KR/PR would be great. Patterson may come if cheap Steelers @ Patriots***** Game Day Thread - Page 14 1797695198
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers @ Patriots***** Game Day Thread   Steelers @ Patriots***** Game Day Thread - Page 14 Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelers @ Patriots***** Game Day Thread
Page 14 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14