Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeRoethlisberger Uncertain About Future - Page 2 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future

Go down 
+17
IowaSteeler927
SteelerSpartan
Drizztbob
kan_t
BlackAndGold
Jazzo
SteelerFreak58
OX1947
StainlessStill
FrancoLambert
SteelersNorth
Fire Arians
jak341
Stella Nation
Shalieve5090
kirklandrules
Atlanta Dan
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future   Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2017 7:51 am

SteelersNorth wrote:
IowaSteeler927 wrote:
Going to guess that Ben has some kind of ulterior motive behind what he said. Either he's going out to bat for Brown with all of the trade rumors swirling among Coach Tomlin's own comments about great players getting moved around to different teams. Or, he's simply putting a shot out to these younger players that he's not going to stick around if they're not buying into the bigger picture which is winning a seventh Lombardi trophy. Ben has been known to jockey for playmakers to stay around, I believe he did something similar for Emmanuel Sanders.

That or he's just being Ben and jumping on the Brett Favre-esque retirement seesaw to be the center of attention.

My opinion, he'll be back, Brown will be back. We'll be just fine. The media has a tendency to blow these kinds of stories way, way out of proportion. That much is evidenced by Aditi Kinkhabwala reporting that Brown was sulking on the field during Deangelo Williams' rushing TD because he was "wide open" in the endzone and the ball wasn't thrown to him during the AFC Championship game. You could plainly see on video that Brown wasn't sulking, he was out blocking, and ran up and signaled TD as Williams went into the endzone. So the media has a tendency to outright lie, in the name of creating a story.

Pat McAfee even called out Kinkhabwala:

http://www.totalprosports.com/2017/01/24/colts-punter-pat-mcafee-calls-out-nfl-network-for-lying-about-antonio-brown-pouting-about-stats/

If Ben was to do what Fav-re did he'd have to retire just before Free Agency happens.
Then when he's had time to decompress, 3 days before training camp starts he 'un-retires' because he has the 'desire' to play again.

Repeat the above for the next 4-5 years if you think Ben is to be like Fav-re (god I hope not) Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future - Page 2 2913999526

Oh believe me I know all about Favre and his ways. I was using the term Favre-esque loosely.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future   Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2017 8:11 am

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ben-roethisberger-would-owe-steelers-16-8-million-if-he-retires/?ref=yfp

Quote :
If he retires, Roethlisberger will owe the Steelers $16.8 million, according to an NFL salary cap and contract expert. Big Ben has three years remaining on a five-year deal he signed back in 2015.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/relax-steelers-fans-big-ben-is-just-blowing-off-steam-and-isnt-going-anywhere/

Quote :
So, when the topic on the radio turned to the play-calling around the goal line against the Patriots*, and the fact Haley didn't call on the hulking quarterback to try to lean the ball in for a score the way, say, Tom Brady always seems to do, people were paying close attention to how the quarterback responded.
"I have no problem sneaking," Roethlisberger said. "I think my sneak percentage ... is pretty successful, in the high 90s. We've done it before. I've never, ever in my life expressed not wanting to do it, I have no problem doing it, I would have done it three or four times in a row if we had to. The plays come in from Coach Haley and I call them."

Quote :
As great as Ben is, you can't have a player dictating your staff, even if it is passive-aggressive. And Tomlin isn't the kind of guy to take a change like that lightly. Haley has done an excellent job of massaging egos and keeping his bevy of stars relatively content with their roles and opportunities.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future - Page 2 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future   Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2017 8:45 am

Well, it's going to be an interesting off-season to say the least with a lot of questions.

About the players:
Injury liabilities: What to do with Green (he already has expressed that he's coming back), Golson and Bell?
Suspension liabilities: Bryant, Bell and Karlos Williams.
What to do with the "oldies": D-Will, Timmons and Harrison (he will stay)? And what will Ben do?
What's up with AB? He's more and more acting like a diva. Can Tomlin keep him under control and does he want to?
Will Gilbert pan out next year or will he be a bust?
Important to address these questions quickly as FA and the draft are approaching. Especially on the offensive side of the ball where there are question marks about our 5 best playmakers. That's something they can't take lightly. Imo Ben will play another year or 2, they will franchise Bell, they're fucked with Green and they will try to trade Bryant. I don't know what they will do with AB though...

Who will we get through FA and the draft? That will depend on the answers above.

And what will they do with the coaching staff? Tomlin and Butler look secure, but it seems that Ben isn't happy with the playcalling lately. Will they sacrifice Haley for it? I don't think so, but you never know. What with Danny Smith? I'm hoping for a new ST coordinator, too many mistakes the last couple of years.
Back to top Go down
SteelersNorth

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future   Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2017 8:59 am

Stella Nation wrote:
Well, it's going to be an interesting off-season to say the least with a lot of questions.

About the players:
Injury liabilities: What to do with Green when he did play he stretched the field and made some big plays at key moments. if healthy he's a big addition but is it really worth the risk? (he already has expressed that he's coming back), Golson we know nothing about him so hard to comment and Bell? kinda need to use the tag on him
Suspension liabilities: Bryant,if his head is screwed on straight he'll be the #2 without a doubt. he's a great player when on the field. Bell see bryant comment and Karlos Williams.
What to do with the "oldies": D-Will, Timmons and Harrison (he will stay)? And what will Ben do? based on production and how they played down the stretch the middle 2 should be back. if the main guy doesn't return for whatever reason then the seasons a write off until they get a QB
What's up with AB? He's more and more acting like a diva. Can Tomlin keep him under control and does he want to? starting to act like TO used to in my opinion. but can the attitude be kept in check for the big picture or does he really only care about himself? Brown would be out of the NFL if he wasn't on the Steelers, I mean look at what happened to Wallace when he left, he's basically an afterthought.
Will Gilbert pan out next year or will he be a bust? who knows lol
Important to address these questions quickly as FA and the draft are approaching. Especially on the offensive side of the ball where there are question marks about our 5 best playmakers. That's something they can't take lightly. Imo Ben will play another year or 2, they will franchise Bell, they're fucked with Green and they will try to trade Bryant. I don't know what they will do with AB though...

Who will we get through FA and the draft? That will depend on the answers above.

And what will they do with the coaching staff? Tomlin and Butler look secure, but it seems that Ben isn't happy with the playcalling lately. Will they sacrifice Haley for it? I don't think so, but you never know. What with Danny Smith? I'm hoping for a new ST coordinator, too many mistakes the last couple of years.

my answers in bold above ^
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future   Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2017 9:08 am

I posted this in the wrong thread, sorry Embarassed
I will paste and copy it in the right one Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future - Page 2 1664291743
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future   Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2017 6:38 pm

Peter King with his thoughts.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/01/25/ben-roethlisberger-pittsburgh-steelers-retirement-nfl-mailbag
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future   Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2017 7:52 pm

BR7 is just being dramatic. I get it: I'm sure in his mind this was the year. In reality: The next 2 to 3 years could be the year (as long as he stays the QB)

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future   Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2017 9:03 pm

jak341 wrote:

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/01/25/ben-roethlisberger-pittsburgh-steelers-retirement-nfl-mailbag
It's another interesting angle. The conclusion is still the same that he is unhappy with Tomlin. But people think that it's because he want to make the Steelers keeping his buddy, AB. But King thinks that actually he's tired about AB behaviour and Tomlin reacted too late.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future   Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 26, 2017 1:24 am

kan_t wrote:
jak341 wrote:

It's another interesting angle. The conclusion is still the same that he is unhappy with Tomlin. But people think that it's because he want to make the Steelers keeping his buddy, AB. But King thinks that actually he's tired about AB behaviour and Tomlin reacted too late.

Yeah, interesting angle that he wants the Head Coach to clamp down on the guys that get penalties for excessive celebration and build their brand to where its getting bigger than the team. Maybe its true and maybe its something that he head coach should do. The only other places that I can think of where the individual is bigger than the team is the Giants with OBJ and the Seahawks with Sherman, Bennett, formerly Marshaun Lynch, etc.
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future   Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 26, 2017 8:12 am

SteelersYak wrote:
BR7 is just being dramatic.  I get it:  I'm sure in his mind this was the year.  In reality:  The next 2 to 3 years could be the year (as long as he stays the QB)

Offensively, it was our year. Until Wheaton got hurt and Bryant got suspended. However, without their situations we probably never learn of Ayers or Rogers at WR.

Defensively, even the fans knew our weakness was the secondary and ILB covering WRs/TEs downfield.

Looking forward, I feel confident Ben won't be retiring. He's too competitive and I'm sure he would prefer to go out on top. I see next year being the Harrison Retirement Tour, and if key pieces remain in place, then it certainly gives us a edge on winning it all. Ben most likely would want to be part of Harrison's final run.

However, knowing the beatings Ben has taken, I wouldn't be surprised if his run is up in another 2-3 years.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future - Page 2 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future   Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 26, 2017 8:46 pm

This tweet with video of Ben saying his sideline goodbyes on Sunday is odd

The WTF reaction of Gilbert is nice
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future   Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 26, 2017 11:49 pm

Atlanta Dan wrote:
This tweet with video of Ben saying his sideline goodbyes on Sunday is odd

The WTF reaction of Gilbert is nice

This video makes me think there may be more to this. Prior to seeing this I was pretty much convinced from the articles I'd read that it was likely not to happen.

Maybe it's just me, but he seemed to have lost some fire around mid-season and he was critical of the coaching and players a few times. I hope he stays, but respect if he wants to go, it's his life. But, I wish he'd chosen to make the decision and then announced what it was. As it is I think it's a little more difficult for the Indians to follow the chief once he blinks. Maybe he does come back and this is a wake up call to a lot who need it, they learn from this, it makes them stronger for a push next year.

I hate the timing of this...1-2 days after they get beat. The cheats fans I see in daily life are just loving that "they forced the great Ben out of the game because he can't beat brady/belicheat".
Back to top Go down
OX1947

OX1947

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future   Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 27, 2017 1:24 am

Tomlin better hope Ben is around for a while. When Ben goes, it wont be too long before he is toast.
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future   Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 27, 2017 6:11 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
kan_t wrote:
jak341 wrote:

Yeah, interesting angle that he wants the Head Coach to clamp down on the guys that get penalties for excessive celebration and build their brand to where its getting bigger than the team.  Maybe its true and maybe its something that he head coach should do.  The only other places that I can think of where the individual is bigger than the team is the Giants with OBJ and the Seahawks with Sherman, Bennett, formerly Marshaun Lynch, etc.  

OR.....maybe Ben is pissed off that AB has now become the face of the franchise and not himself.  Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future - Page 2 2087824411
Back to top Go down
SteelersNorth

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future   Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 27, 2017 7:45 am

FrancoLambert wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
kan_t wrote:
jak341 wrote:

Yeah, interesting angle that he wants the Head Coach to clamp down on the guys that get penalties for excessive celebration and build their brand to where its getting bigger than the team.  Maybe its true and maybe its something that he head coach should do.  The only other places that I can think of where the individual is bigger than the team is the Giants with OBJ and the Seahawks with Sherman, Bennett, formerly Marshaun Lynch, etc.  

OR.....maybe Ben is pissed off that AB has now become the face of the franchise and not himself.  Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future - Page 2 2087824411

Ben knows he's still 'The Team' because without him what do you really have?
Brown is probably getting only the same amount of yards Eli Rodgers would get with Jones at QB or any other run of the mill QB.

Interesting that the video has him say that to Gilbert and DeCastro.
Back to top Go down
kan_t

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future   Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 27, 2017 11:29 pm

FrancoLambert wrote:

I'm sure he is the face of the franchise when Landry Jones throws football to him.

Not sure if he wants it though.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future   Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 28, 2017 8:07 am

FrancoLambert wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
kan_t wrote:
jak341 wrote:

I don't think AB is the face of the franchise, far from it right now. A lot of Steelers fans seem to be getting pretty fed up with some of the diva behavior, and the social media stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future   Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2