Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeNext Steps for Steelers in 2017 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Next Steps for Steelers in 2017

Go down 
+15
JPPT1974
IowaSteeler927
SteelerFreak58
OX1947
BKAnthem
solardave
SteelersNorth
FrancoLambert
WVABE
jak341
Atlanta Dan
Fire Arians
stlrtruck
Stella Nation
kirklandrules
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

Next Steps for Steelers in 2017 Empty
PostSubject: Next Steps for Steelers in 2017   Next Steps for Steelers in 2017 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2017 12:06 pm

Since there were several posts in the Patriots* gameday thread about what comes next, thought we could use a dedicated thread for that discussion. Fire away on free agency (additions and subtractions), early leanings on the draft, and maybe a post or two on how the Steelers should fire Arians again. Next Steps for Steelers in 2017 1797695198
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Next Steps for Steelers in 2017   Next Steps for Steelers in 2017 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2017 12:19 pm

Fire Arians!
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Next Steps for Steelers in 2017   Next Steps for Steelers in 2017 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2017 12:27 pm

1. At this juncture, even with the given results of the AFC Championship game, I'd like to see them retain their coaches
2. Get Bell signed. Either a new contract or tag him.
3. Find a viable backup QB, I still below L. Jones is not the answer. Considering Ben's recent comments about retirement, it may be sooner rather than later
4. Ban all social media from the locker room
5. I'd like to see them draft secondary help and or inside linebacker to help with coverage and pressure up the middle.
6. Win Games we're suppose to win. Had we done that in 2016, there's a chance we could've been hosting the AFCCG. 2017 Home Games: Ravens, Bengals, Browns, Jaguars, Titans, Packers, Vikings, Patriots*****; 2017 Away Games: Ravens, Bengals, Browns, Texans, Colts, Bears, Lions, Chiefs

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Next Steps for Steelers in 2017 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Next Steps for Steelers in 2017   Next Steps for Steelers in 2017 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2017 12:32 pm

This is the first time we've had cap space to get a big free agent signing. TBH I'd like to see us go after a player that would be an immediate upgrade to our pass rush. James says he wants to play another year but let's be real, he's 39 and not a long term solution. I do like what I'm seeing from Dupree, but I don't have confidence that Moats or Chickillo is the guy. And realistically, James probably has 1 year and although what he's doing at his age is impressive, it's not on an elite level. Pretty good yes, but pretty good doesn't win championships.

There's a few targets I believe that we can go after. Chandler Jones would be the top of my list but he's likely to sign a long term deal with the Cardinals. Melvin Ingram and Nick Perry could be other possible targets that might cost a pretty penny but nothing breaking the bank.

If not pass rusher, a CB that could become an immediate upgrade.
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Next Steps for Steelers in 2017   Next Steps for Steelers in 2017 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2017 12:33 pm

stlrtruck wrote:
1. At this juncture, even with the given results of the AFC Championship game, I'd like to see them retain their coaches

In his season ending press conference Tomlin would not commit to all the coaches returning, saying something to the effect ongoing change in players and coaches is part of the process.

Not exactly a vote of confidence in the special teams coach.

Last edited by Atlanta Dan on Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Next Steps for Steelers in 2017   Next Steps for Steelers in 2017 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2017 12:35 pm

Atlanta Dan wrote:
stlrtruck wrote:

In his season ending press conference Tomlin would not commit to all the coaches returning, saying something to the effect ongoing change in players and coaches is part of the process.

That's an interesting comment. Between this comment, and Ben's unsure of the future comment, says there is a LOT going on behind the scenes.
Back to top Go down
WVABE

PostSubject: Re: Next Steps for Steelers in 2017   Next Steps for Steelers in 2017 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2017 12:53 pm

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2688886-antonio-brown-reportedly-focuses-on-stats-concerns-steelers?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=nfl

Everyone knew and saw this coming and it has to stop.
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Next Steps for Steelers in 2017   Next Steps for Steelers in 2017 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2017 1:04 pm

Not a good way to enter the off-season.

Ben points the finger of blame at some of the younger guys.  Yet, his performance was OK at best.
He didn't lead or produce like a franchise QB should in big games.

Ben ups the ante on drama....about him....no surprise there.

AB is wearing on his teammates with his "all about me" attitude.

Coaching staff taking a deserved beating after the AFCCG.

Next Steps for Steelers in 2017 2605341373
Back to top Go down
SteelersNorth

PostSubject: Re: Next Steps for Steelers in 2017   Next Steps for Steelers in 2017 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2017 1:14 pm

I know they won't get a 'BIG TICKET' free agent and that's fine.
But for arguments sake here's who i'd like to see them target based on their old contracts:
WR - Kenny Britt (28 and made 4.5mil last year)
TE - Jermaine Gresham (28 3.5mil last year) In the limited snaps Green got I think he's a great fit but no idea health wise and Gresham could be that same style of player)
RB - retain Bell of course but pick up Eddy Lacy as the 'POWER BACK' how funny would that be :)
LB - No big ticket guys i think other than guys in their 30s with the exception of what everyone has said already in Melvin Ingram
FS - he's a free agent and the only guy that would be amazing to get and that's Eric Berry but that's a pipe dream
CB - a few that I'd like but none are realistic probably: (only because his name is awesome) Captain Munnerlyn (28 made 3.75mil), the best choice Stephon Gilmore (26 (3.02mil)

Of course the countdown to March 10th is on lol
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Next Steps for Steelers in 2017   Next Steps for Steelers in 2017 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2017 1:37 pm

SteelersNorth wrote:
I know they won't get a 'BIG TICKET' free agent and that's fine.
But for arguments sake here's who i'd like to see them target based on their old contracts:
WR - Kenny Britt (28 and made 4.5mil last year)I'd  like to see that
TE - Jermaine Gresham (28 3.5mil last year) In the limited snaps Green got I think he's a great fit but no idea health wise and Gresham could be that same style of player)He's a hot head like Kelce who'll cause more problems than help.
RB - retain Bell of course but pick up Eddy Lacy as the 'POWER BACK' how funny would that be :)Tag him. We still need a full season if he has one. Lacey I think is also a pipe dream.
LB - No big ticket guys i think other than guys in their 30s with the exception of what everyone has said already in Melvin IngramIngram would be a nice addition.
FS - he's a free agent and the only guy that would be amazing to get and that's Eric Berry but that's a pipe dreamBerry would be reall really good for us but like you said.....
CB - a few that I'd like but none are realistic probably: (only because his name is awesome) Captain Munnerlyn (28 made 3.75mil), the best choice Stephon Gilmore (26 (3.02mil)Not much to see here. I think if (there's always an if) Golsen gets healthy and Gilbert works out we're good there.

Of course the countdown to March 10th is on lol
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Next Steps for Steelers in 2017   Next Steps for Steelers in 2017 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2017 2:07 pm

FrancoLambert wrote:
Not a good way to enter the off-season.

Ben points the finger of blame at some of the younger guys.  Yet, his performance was OK at best.
He didn't lead or produce like a franchise QB should in big games.

Ben ups the ante on drama....about him....no surprise there.

Ben added Todd Haley to those he is pointing the finger at today

Many fans have been complaining about the Steelers not using Ben to sneak the ball in from the one-foot line. Ben was asked if he’s opposed in any way to running that play.

“I have no problem sneaking, I think my sneak percentage…is pretty successful, in the high 90s. We’ve done it before. I’ve never ever in my life expressed not wanting to do it, I have no problem doing it, I would have done it three or four times in a row if we had to. The plays come in from Coach Haley and I call them,” he said.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2017/01/24/ben-roethlisberger-on-Patriots*-they-out-coached-us-they-out-played-us-they-out-executed-us/

If only Ben would be given the discretion to check out of the play sent in from the sidelines Next Steps for Steelers in 2017 2981382511
Back to top Go down
BKAnthem

PostSubject: Re: Next Steps for Steelers in 2017   Next Steps for Steelers in 2017 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2017 2:12 pm

Let Cockrell and Gilbert compete to start opposite Burns...Loser gets the slot...And play more Man

Draft a Pass rushing LB, And Let Jarvis go....

This draft is pretty deep with RB's we can find a pretty good compliment to Bell i think...and Tag bell while we're at it

Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Next Steps for Steelers in 2017   Next Steps for Steelers in 2017 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2017 2:20 pm

This article provides a thorough discussion of potential off season moves

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-steelers-have-more-cap-space-but-decision-due-on-leveon-bell/
Back to top Go down
OX1947

OX1947

PostSubject: Re: Next Steps for Steelers in 2017   Next Steps for Steelers in 2017 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2017 3:18 pm

My issue is Bell's health. 3 years in a row at crucial times. It's not his fault but it is an issue now. That is what has been the most depressing. Steelers are in an interesting situation this off season. They actually have cap room for the first time in I don't remember when.

Steelers will need to turn their coverage defense into one of the best next year. I think Bud Dupree will be a star. Shazier, if he plays full seasons, will be a DOPY type player. Steelers MUST turn their back 7 into elite status. 3 rookie starters and Cam coming back will be huge for next year.

I think Ben has one more prime year left. That's next year. After that, we might be seeing his downturn. The loss is still lingering in my heart. I almost feel like they will never win it all again with Big Ben. I hope its just recent pain and it will go away.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Next Steps for Steelers in 2017   Next Steps for Steelers in 2017 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2017 4:14 pm

Melvin Ingram. He is a solid OLB and that is exactly what they need at this time. Have Harrison around for anorther year to spell both Ingram and Dupree it will give them both stronger legs in the post season. Drafting an OLB and having them contribute in the first year is asking a ton. They have to get acclimated to the speed of the game and build the strength they are going to need to take on 300lb+ NFL tackles. Ingram sets this team up for constant immediate pressure without guess work.

No pressure = no beating Brady ever period.... PERIOD!

The Jarvis Jones bust really hurt this team. Harrison is a god among mortals but he can't be effective on a constant basis for an entire season at his age. We cannot afford to miss on another early round OLB pick.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Next Steps for Steelers in 2017   Next Steps for Steelers in 2017 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2017 4:58 pm

Atlanta Dan wrote:
stlrtruck wrote:

Special teams was garbage this year. Danny Smith needs to go. We need to get special teams going again, it'd be nice to see some explosive returns every once and awhile. They were as bad as i've ever seen this season.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Next Steps for Steelers in 2017   Next Steps for Steelers in 2017 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2017 5:35 pm

Dontari Poe may hit FA... imagine that 3 man front (Hayward, Poe, Tuiit) coming at you with Hargrave spelling each of them throughout the game... just plain nasty.
Back to top Go down
JPPT1974

JPPT1974

PostSubject: Re: Next Steps for Steelers in 2017   Next Steps for Steelers in 2017 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2017 5:54 pm

Yeah as Big Ben has one or two good years left in him it seems. But need to think of a young QB in the draft.

Steeler-in-west

PostSubject: Re: Next Steps for Steelers in 2017   Next Steps for Steelers in 2017 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2017 8:20 pm

Sam Darnold will declare for the 2018 draft. Probably goes in the 1st or maybe 2nd round. He can make NFL level throws and seems clutch as PSU knows. If the steelers are in position to take him they should
Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: Next Steps for Steelers in 2017   Next Steps for Steelers in 2017 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2017 9:40 pm

We need a QB rushing, guard/tackle shedding, beefy, pass rushing OLB round one. Takkarist McKinley from UCLA or Tim Williams from Alabama could be solid. Round 2 needs to be a Ben's successor hopefully. I'm thinking Deshone Kizer from Notre Dame looks nice. Or we could go back to the well from Miami of Ohio and snag Brad Kaaya with a later pick. Kid looked raw, but coachable.

And that's your early on expert analysis...lol

El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Next Steps for Steelers in 2017   Next Steps for Steelers in 2017 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2017 2:15 am

Drizztbob wrote:
We need a QB rushing, guard/tackle shedding, beefy, pass rushing OLB round one.  Takkarist McKinley from UCLA or Tim Williams from Alabama could be solid.  Round 2 needs to be a Ben's successor hopefully.  I'm thinking Deshone Kizer from Notre Dame looks nice.  Or we could go back to the well from Miami of Ohio and snag Brad Kaaya with a later pick.  Kid looked raw, but coachable.

And that's your early on expert analysis...lol

Kaaya is from the U, not Ohio. I like him, but not a real strong arm deep thrower IMO, but I have liked his intelligence and accuracy from when I first saw him in the UA highschool game. Baker Mayfield could be another thought, but I agree that 2018 might need a QB attention for Steelers.
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Next Steps for Steelers in 2017   Next Steps for Steelers in 2017 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2017 9:09 am

Well, it's going to be an interesting off-season to say the least with a lot of questions.

About the players:
Injury liabilities: What to do with Green (he already has expressed that he's coming back), Golson and Bell?
Suspension liabilities: Bryant, Bell and Karlos Williams.
What to do with the "oldies": D-Will, Timmons and Harrison (he will stay)? And what will Ben do?
What's up with AB? He's more and more acting like a diva. Can Tomlin keep him under control and does he want to?
Will Gilbert pan out next year or will he be a bust?
Important to address these questions quickly as FA and the draft are approaching. Especially on the offensive side of the ball where there are question marks about our 5 best playmakers. That's something they can't take lightly. Imo Ben will play another year or 2, they will franchise Bell, they're fucked with Green and they will try to trade Bryant. I don't know what they will do with AB though...

Who will we get through FA and the draft? That will depend on the answers above.

And what will they do with the coaching staff? Tomlin and Butler look secure, but it seems that Ben isn't happy with the playcalling lately. Will they sacrifice Haley for it? I don't think so, but you never know. What with Danny Smith? I'm hoping for a new ST coordinator, too many mistakes the last couple of years.
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Next Steps for Steelers in 2017   Next Steps for Steelers in 2017 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2017 9:11 am

SteelersNorth answer:

SteelersNorth wrote:
Well, it's going to be an interesting off-season to say the least with a lot of questions.

About the players:
Injury liabilities: What to do with Green when he did play he stretched the field and made some big plays at key moments. if healthy he's a big addition but is it really worth the risk? (he already has expressed that he's coming back), Golson we know nothing about him so hard to comment and Bell? kinda need to use the tag on him
Suspension liabilities: Bryant,if his head is screwed on straight he'll be the #2 without a doubt. he's a great player when on the field. Bell see bryant comment and Karlos Williams.
What to do with the "oldies": D-Will, Timmons and Harrison (he will stay)? And what will Ben do? based on production and how they played down the stretch the middle 2 should be back. if the main guy doesn't return for whatever reason then the seasons a write off until they get a QB
What's up with AB? He's more and more acting like a diva. Can Tomlin keep him under control and does he want to? starting to act like TO used to in my opinion. but can the attitude be kept in check for the big picture or does he really only care about himself? Brown would be out of the NFL if he wasn't on the Steelers, I mean look at what happened to Wallace when he left, he's basically an afterthought.
Will Gilbert pan out next year or will he be a bust? who knows lol
Important to address these questions quickly as FA and the draft are approaching. Especially on the offensive side of the ball where there are question marks about our 5 best playmakers. That's something they can't take lightly. Imo Ben will play another year or 2, they will franchise Bell, they're fucked with Green and they will try to trade Bryant. I don't know what they will do with AB though...

Who will we get through FA and the draft? That will depend on the answers above.

And what will they do with the coaching staff? Tomlin and Butler look secure, but it seems that Ben isn't happy with the playcalling lately. Will they sacrifice Haley for it? I don't think so, but you never know. What with Danny Smith? I'm hoping for a new ST coordinator, too many mistakes the last couple of years.

my answers in bold above ^
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Next Steps for Steelers in 2017   Next Steps for Steelers in 2017 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2017 9:26 am

Stella Nation wrote:

About the players:
Injury liabilities: What to do with Green (he already has expressed that he's coming back), Golson and Bell?
What to do with the "oldies": D-Will, Timmons and Harrison (he will stay)? And what will Ben do?
What's up with AB? He's more and more acting like a diva. Can Tomlin keep him under control and does he want to?

After listening to Tomlin's wrap-up press conference, it doesn't sound like we are going to be big players in signing outside free agents.
Back to top Go down
SteelersNorth

PostSubject: Re: Next Steps for Steelers in 2017   Next Steps for Steelers in 2017 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2017 9:34 am

FrancoLambert wrote:
Stella Nation wrote:

About the players:

After listening to Tomlin's wrap-up press conference, it doesn't sound like we are going to be big players in signing outside free agents.

They need to make one 'splash' in FA.
Not that I dislike the player or anything of that nature but because I think he could be had for a decent price I'd let Cockrell walk and grab Stephon Gilmore OR maybe we keep Cockrell and he plays the slot.

I figure we can draft a stud LB to replace what Jones was supposed to be.

I know lots of people here are high on Melvin Ingram but I didn't really watch the Chargers much to give an educated opinion but based on age being 27 you can't go wrong I hope lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Next Steps for Steelers in 2017   Next Steps for Steelers in 2017 Empty

Back to top Go down

Next Steps for Steelers in 2017
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next