Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeDraft discussion - Page 2 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Draft discussion

Go down 
+9
El-Gonzo Jackson
Fire Arians
LambertWardSteel
FrancoLambert
effyou515
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu
Stella Nation
IowaSteeler927
Wallace108
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

Draft discussion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Draft discussion   Draft discussion - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 29, 2017 2:27 pm

ImmaculateGreenePolamalu wrote:
What do you guys want to do here in Rd-4?  I don't know the college game at all or who we brought in.

I wanted Jake Butt or Jordan Leggett at TE, but I guess they wanted another project QB instead. Draft discussion - Page 2 1505004552
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Draft discussion   Draft discussion - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 30, 2017 11:37 am

Finally some time to catch up here Draft discussion - Page 2 1797695198

As stated earlier I love the TJ Watt pick, I had him in my mock draft. A+

They surprised me in round 2 going WR. I had mixed feeling about it, I love JuJu Smith-Schuster, but I thought we had more urgent needs (ILB/S/CB/TE). After Martavis Bryant's dumbass comment however, they were absolutaly right about it. A

Some months ago I had Cameron Sutton in my first mock draft here in the 3rd round, but I figured that he would be gone earlier. An excellent slot corner. There were some other interesting CB's available, but I like this pick. Btw if you see my first mock draft, you'll see that at time I thought we were going to have a round 5 compensatory pick and I took Ethan Cooper there. They signed him now as an UDFA, so that's a nice addition imo. A

There were two positions I wanted to address in the 3rd round, CB and TE. Shaheen was already gone as I feared, but Jake Butt, George Kittle and Jordan Leggett were still on the board. Jake Butt was my first choice, but they opted for James Conner. I like that he is a Steeler, but I think they could have got him in round 4. And if not, there were still plenty of other excellent RB's available. So I was a little disappointed, but still happy that Conner is playing for the right team. B-

Then round 4 came and I wanted of course one of those 3 TE's if one of them would fall that far. If not, I wanted to go safety. When it was our turn not only one but all three were still on the board (much to my surprise) so I was excited at that point that we still could land an excellent TE in a deep TE class. Huge disappointment of course when they went for a back-up QB with in my eyes not a chance that he can develop in a franchise QB in a couple of years. I just don't see it in him. We should have wait until next year anyway with going QB once Watson and Mahomes were gone. I hope they realise that they still need to draft their franchise QB next year, preferably in the first round. F

Not much that I can say about Brian Allen as I don't know him. I read a few things about him and he is a project. Given his lenght and speed if he manages to learn the CB-position, he can turn into a really good one. This seems like a boom or bust pick to me. I would have gone for Bucky Hodges (TE), Xavier Woods (S) or Ejuan Price (OLB). C+

Then we went for a long snapper. Ok, we might need one, but I'm pretty sure we could have gotten him as an UDFA or at least in the 7th round. And Ejuan Price was still available, just as Hardy Nickerson (ILB) or Elijah Lee (ILB). I don't understand their choice. D

Keion Adams is a nice value pick in the 7th and we needed another pass rusher for depth. So this is the only pick of day 3 I like. A-

Overall I gave them a solid B for the entire draft, but it should have been an A. They had all the chances after the first two days, but imo they completely mishit the ball on the third day. They didn't address some positions of big need like ILB and S, but surely TE where they had all the chances to do that.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Draft discussion   Draft discussion - Page 2 EmptyMon May 01, 2017 2:34 pm

Steelers draft picks possess 'heart and smarts' organization likes

Updated 16 hours ago
The Steelers drafted a quarterback with a degree in aerospace engineering and a minor in business. They selected a cornerback with undergraduate degrees in economics and human development and family studies.
For their first pick, the Steelers selected a self-professed football junkie who comes from stock that includes two NFL brothers, including a three-time defensive player of the year. One day later, they kept a cancer survivor and the draft's most inspirational success story in Pittsburgh.
Joshua Dobbs, Brian Allen, T.J. Watt and James Conner, among others in the 2017 class, possess qualities the Steelers seek when evaluating players during the draft process.
“Hearts and smarts,” coach Mike Tomlin said, referring to an oft-used line by general manager Kevin Colbert. “A lot of these guys excel in those areas. They display a tremendous passion for the game in their play. They are smart, accomplished young men, not only in the game of football, but outside the game of football.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/12243917-74/steelers-draft-picks-possess-heart-and-smarts-organization-likes

Good players on and off the field are a Steelers need.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Draft discussion   Draft discussion - Page 2 EmptyTue May 02, 2017 2:52 am

The more I read up on these guys the more I like our draft. I think we added a couple of quality pass rushers in Watt and Keion Adams. Watt looks like he can be a playmaker and will benefit greatly from the tutelage of James Harrison. Keion Adams might not be an every down kind of guy, but he could definitely be part of the rotation. You can never have enough pass rushers, and they just injected some youth, and fresher legs into the equation.

We added quality receiver depth in JuJu Schuster-Smith, the kid can ball. He looks like Hines Ward on film. Whether that college tape translates to the NFL remains to be seen, but I have a good feeling about him. Just looks like the kind of tall, possession type of receiver we've been missing in this offense. He has a nose for the endzone, and knows how to get open. He keeps his legs moving when the quarterback gets flushed and extends the play. That's exactly the kind of receiver we needed to add to this offense. Brown, Bryant, Rogers, Schuster-Smith, and Sammie Coates (if he's healthy and stops with the dropsies), sounds like a pretty damn good receiving corps to me.

We added depth at running back. We'll have quality backs in Bell, Conner, and Davis. Bell will be a great mentor for Conner and teach him patience, and how to make the most out of every time he touches the football. Davis will help us on special teams, and possibly in the KR game. Conner will benefit from NFL strength and conditioning, and he'll learn a lot about how to play the game from Le'Veon Bell. I'm really excited to see our running game this upcoming season.

We added a young QB that has a much higher ceiling than Landry Jones. I think Dobbs was underrated coming out of college. Everyone talked about Trubisky, Watson and those guys. Nobody said much about Dobbs. He's highly intelligent, and athletically gifted. I think he will benefit greatly from NFL coaching, and having better talent around him, so he doesn't have as much pressure on him as he had at Tennessee. Plus he has the benefit of learning from one of the game's greatest in Ben Roethlisberger. A lot of people are complaining, but I think he was a great pick in the 4th Round.

We even got a probable replacement for Greg Warren. People can complain about that pick all they want, but long snapping isn't easy and we've been spoiled by old man Greg Warren for many years. He's about to retire, and we got a pretty damned good long snapper to replace him.

We helped the secondary as well. Cameron Sutton looks pretty good on film and should also benefit from NFL coaching. I think he looks like a pretty fluid athlete from the little bits I've seen of him. He's young, and may compete for playing time in at the nickel corner position and on special teams.

Ultimately I am happy with our draft. They filled some holes, and added some quality depth. My biggest concern is depth on the defensive line. When Heyward got hurt there was a noticeable drop off in talent. We need Heyward, Tuitt, and Hargrave to stay healthy this season as there isn't a lot of depth behind them.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Draft discussion   Draft discussion - Page 2 EmptyTue May 02, 2017 9:51 am

I wonder who will be the KR/PR next season, Knile Davis or Cameron Sutton? If Davis makes the team I guess it will be him.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Draft discussion   Draft discussion - Page 2 EmptyWed May 03, 2017 4:47 am

Stella Nation wrote:
I wonder who will be the KR/PR next season, Knile Davis or Cameron Sutton? If Davis makes the team I guess it will be him.

Yeah I'm guessing they'll try them both out a little bit and see who they like more. Davis has the experience though, and has shown in the past that he can make plays in the return game.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Draft discussion   Draft discussion - Page 2 EmptyWed May 03, 2017 8:56 am

After reading about the majority of these draftees I'm convinced the FO is tired of character issues. Recently it is Bell, and Bryant. I really haven't read about any potential issues with any of these young men. Just the opposite.

T.J. Watt... Already sending out videos of his acclimation to our city.
Smith.... Workhorse,tough,blue collar mentality.
Dobbs... Rocket scientist and our #3
Sutton... Raw potential.
Conner.... Beast and a true survivor.
I think all of these make the team plus Adams I think as a backup.

I'm pleased with this group. I think we hit pay dirt 2 years in a row.
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Draft discussion   Draft discussion - Page 2 EmptyWed May 03, 2017 11:45 am

solardave wrote:
After reading about the majority of these draftees I'm convinced the FO is tired of character issues. Recently it is Bell, and Bryant. I really haven't read about any potential issues with any of these young men. Just the opposite.

Dobbs... Rocket scientist and our #2
Sutton... Raw potential.

Fixed it for you

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Draft discussion - Page 2 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Draft discussion   Draft discussion - Page 2 EmptyWed May 03, 2017 3:44 pm

stlrtruck wrote:
solardave wrote:

Dobbs... Rocket scientist and our #2
Sutton... Raw potential.

Fixed it for you

Smith should be Shuster. Rolling Eyes And I started to put #2 on there but I didn't want Gonzo all over me. Draft discussion - Page 2 611739232 Draft discussion - Page 2 1797695198
Back to top Go down
JPPT1974

JPPT1974

PostSubject: Re: Draft discussion   Draft discussion - Page 2 EmptyWed May 03, 2017 6:44 pm

Yeah as really think that it will be good to have Big Ben at least one more year or even two. Before the team could get a QB next year perhaps.

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Draft discussion   Draft discussion - Page 2 EmptyMon May 15, 2017 10:30 am

Quote :
Are the Pittsburgh Steelers bringing back the Steel Curtain?

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/are_the_pittsburgh_steelers_bringing_back_the_steel_curtain/s1_7899_23956867
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Draft discussion   Draft discussion - Page 2 EmptyMon May 15, 2017 11:03 am

Hopeful.....sounds good....it's what we need.....but our current D has a long way to go to even being mentioned in the same sentence with the Steel Curtain defense of the 70's.

Draft discussion - Page 2 1650858226      Draft discussion - Page 2 2432665661      Draft discussion - Page 2 445499957
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Draft discussion   Draft discussion - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 07, 2017 8:39 am

Funny to read this, this guy had completely different position rankings than everyone else but you will see a lot of familiar names. Just read first post (pre-draft) and last page Draft discussion - Page 2 1797695198

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=587822&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Back to top Go down
JPPT1974

JPPT1974

PostSubject: Re: Draft discussion   Draft discussion - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 07, 2017 3:51 pm

Not the first time of complaining nor will it be the last time we have something to complain before training camp.

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Draft discussion   Draft discussion - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 08, 2017 9:19 am

been reading about the Steelers OTAs football in shorts well damn it

Draft discussion - Page 2 1797695198  Draft discussion - Page 2 1797695198  Draft discussion - Page 2 1797695198
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Draft discussion   Draft discussion - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 08, 2017 9:32 pm

Stella Nation wrote:
Funny to read this, this guy had completely different position rankings than everyone else but you will see a lot of familiar names. Just read first post (pre-draft) and last page Draft discussion - Page 2 1797695198

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=587822&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
according to this guys rankings...we had a once in a lifetime draft...4 first rd talent players in one draft ? Draft discussion - Page 2 1372836603
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Draft discussion   Draft discussion - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 11, 2017 3:00 pm

Really looking forward to camp this year.....want to see Ju-Ju and Cam in pads playing against the veterans.

Are they the real deal..... OTA impressions aside?
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Draft discussion   Draft discussion - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 13, 2017 9:17 am

FrancoLambert wrote:
Really looking forward to camp this year.....want to see Ju-Ju and Cam in pads playing against the veterans.

Yes, its just football in shorts, but I think the Steelers really drafted "good football players" with good work ethic and attitude. Kids like JuJu, Connor, Watt just come in and get to work and grind. They all were successful in their respective conferences, so no reason they wont be good Steelers performers in time.

Sutton is a kid with talent, that is a bit slight and had some injury issues his junior year in college, but when I watched some tape of him and see him in the Senior Bowl he showed some football intelligence to go with the athleticism. He too will be a good addition to the team. Add the long snapper and developmental corner and this draft has at least 5 players that will contribute to the team with maybe one or 2 more that could stick and help out down the road.
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Draft discussion   Draft discussion - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 13, 2017 12:24 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
FrancoLambert wrote:

Yes, its just football in shorts, but I think the Steelers really drafted "good football players" with good work ethic and attitude.  Kids like JuJu, Connor, Watt just come in and get to work and grind.  They all were successful in their respective conferences, so no reason they wont be good Steelers performers in time.

Sutton is a kid with talent, that is a bit slight and had some injury issues his junior year in college, but when I watched some tape of him and see him in the Senior Bowl he showed some football intelligence to go with the athleticism.  He too will be a good addition to the team.  Add the long snapper and developmental corner and this draft has at least 5 players that will contribute to the team with maybe one or 2 more that could stick and help out down the road.  

In an earlier post I used the basketball analogy of calling players who are willing to work hard, study hard, and do anything to improve themselves...... "gym rats."

That was definitely the mind-set of Colbert and Tomlin pertaining to this year's draftees.

The three players Gonz mentioned seem to fit that description without a doubt.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Draft discussion   Draft discussion - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 13, 2017 1:12 pm

FrancoLambert, I always love "gym rats", probably because I was one of them. I literally used to put gum on a gym door lock, so that I could get into the gym in highschool after it closed to shoot hoops.

The Bill Parcells quote I often mention that encapusulates why you want guys that will work hard over talent that doesn't work hard is......."Effort without Talent, is tough to watch, but Talent without Effort, is a damn shame to see"

I think the Steelers drafted a few good guys with Talent, but possibly even more effort.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Draft discussion   Draft discussion - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Draft discussion
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2