Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeRound 5, Utah CB Brian Allen is now a Steeler Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Round 5, Utah CB Brian Allen is now a Steeler

Go down 
+4
El-Gonzo Jackson
SteelerSpartan
BKAnthem
jak341
8 posters
AuthorMessage
jak341

jak341

Round 5, Utah CB Brian Allen is now a Steeler Empty
PostSubject: Round 5, Utah CB Brian Allen is now a Steeler   Round 5, Utah CB Brian Allen is now a Steeler EmptySat Apr 29, 2017 3:39 pm

From ESPN
Jeremy Fowler wrote:
Steelers fifth-round pick, Utah cornerback Brian Allen, is the classic raw athlete flier - 6-foot-3 with 34-inch arms and a 4.48 40, but the former wide receiver has struggled with the transition of tackling and mastering the nuances of the cornerback position. Steelers have a lot of sub-6-foot corners, so taking a chance on a big one this late in the draft won't hurt.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/pit/pittsburgh-steelers
Back to top Go down
BKAnthem

PostSubject: Re: Round 5, Utah CB Brian Allen is now a Steeler   Round 5, Utah CB Brian Allen is now a Steeler EmptySat Apr 29, 2017 6:57 pm

This will how us how good a coach Lake is...Please develop this kid
Back to top Go down
SteelerSpartan

SteelerSpartan

PostSubject: Re: Round 5, Utah CB Brian Allen is now a Steeler   Round 5, Utah CB Brian Allen is now a Steeler EmptySat Apr 29, 2017 7:10 pm

Yep.....The CB play in preseason will definitely be my number 1 thing I want to watch....

Got to develop some dbs who can play man and make plays on the ball whiles its in the air.

That's the league today.

El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Round 5, Utah CB Brian Allen is now a Steeler   Round 5, Utah CB Brian Allen is now a Steeler EmptySat Apr 29, 2017 8:30 pm

Candidate for the practice squad or else the #6 CB if they keep 6.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Round 5, Utah CB Brian Allen is now a Steeler   Round 5, Utah CB Brian Allen is now a Steeler EmptySun Apr 30, 2017 2:44 pm

OK, I watched some game tape on the kid and rewatched his NFL Combine workout. Plays high, but he is a 6'3" converted WR with long arms and he used them at the LOS to jam. Has good hands and shows long speed with long strides. Shows some recognition to come off his deep zone and jump the underneath out routes from the slot. Overall the game tape shows a big CB that is raw and looks a little awkward at times, but if is around the ball his size gets hands on the ball.

The Combine workout was difficult as the TV coverage often was at commercial or isolation on another prospect when his drills came up, but he ran 4.48 officially, but one has him timed at 4.43. His hip turn was pretty good considering how tall and long legged he is. His W-drill was very impressive to me, as he backpedaled smoothly, then stuck a back foot and quickly broke forward, then transitioned to backpedal. He high points the ball and catches well, as he is a former WR and the hands showed in the gauntlet drill. Really good athlete for being such a tall CB!

Honestly, I hope he makes the 53, despite being a developmental guy that I think will not contribute this year, I think by 2018 he can make his way to depth as a boundary CB, when William Gay is gone and hopefully Sutton and Golson are the slot CB's. Unless he really looks lost in the preseason, somebody will poach him off the practice squad.
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Round 5, Utah CB Brian Allen is now a Steeler   Round 5, Utah CB Brian Allen is now a Steeler EmptySun Apr 30, 2017 4:07 pm

Dave Te Thomas loved this guy. Called him the next Ike Taylor.

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Round 5, Utah CB Brian Allen is now a Steeler   Round 5, Utah CB Brian Allen is now a Steeler EmptySun Apr 30, 2017 5:02 pm

Look up what Dave T Thomas said about Shamarko Thomas and Jarvis jones. And I am willing to bet Dave Bryan jumped on the bandwagon as soon as he heard that.
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Round 5, Utah CB Brian Allen is now a Steeler   Round 5, Utah CB Brian Allen is now a Steeler EmptyMon May 01, 2017 8:47 am

BlackAndGold wrote:

So he can't catch? Is that why he's a converted WR? Round 5, Utah CB Brian Allen is now a Steeler 1549491426

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Round 5, Utah CB Brian Allen is now a Steeler 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: Round 5, Utah CB Brian Allen is now a Steeler   Round 5, Utah CB Brian Allen is now a Steeler EmptyMon May 01, 2017 9:48 am

BlackAndGold wrote:

AHHHHHHHHH Round 5, Utah CB Brian Allen is now a Steeler 2913999526

IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Round 5, Utah CB Brian Allen is now a Steeler   Round 5, Utah CB Brian Allen is now a Steeler EmptyTue May 02, 2017 7:50 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
OK, I watched some game tape on the kid and rewatched his NFL Combine workout.  Plays high, but he is a 6'3" converted WR with long arms and he used them at the LOS to jam.  Has good hands and shows long speed with long strides.  Shows some recognition to come off his deep zone and jump the underneath out routes from the slot.  Overall the game tape shows a big CB that is raw and looks a little awkward at times, but if is around the ball his size gets hands on the ball.

The Combine workout was difficult as the TV coverage often was at commercial or isolation on another prospect when his drills came up, but he ran 4.48 officially, but one has him timed at 4.43.  His hip turn was pretty good considering how tall and long legged he is.  His W-drill was very impressive to me, as he backpedaled smoothly, then stuck a back foot and quickly broke forward, then transitioned to backpedal.  He high points the ball and catches well, as he is a former WR and the hands showed in the gauntlet drill.  Really good athlete for being such a tall CB!

Honestly, I hope he makes the 53, despite being a developmental guy that I think will not contribute this year, I think by 2018 he can make his way to depth as a boundary CB, when William Gay is gone and hopefully Sutton and Golson are the slot CB's.  Unless he really looks lost in the preseason, somebody will poach him off the practice squad.

Damn Gonzo, I have always wondered if you're secretly an NFL Scout, or assistant coach moonlighting as a fan on the forums. The stuff you post is often better and more informative than the crap from the sports pundits and so-called analysts. Round 5, Utah CB Brian Allen is now a Steeler 1797695198

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Round 5, Utah CB Brian Allen is now a Steeler   Round 5, Utah CB Brian Allen is now a Steeler EmptyWed May 03, 2017 1:07 am

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
OK, I watched some game tape on the kid and rewatched his NFL Combine workout.  Plays high, but he is a 6'3" converted WR with long arms and he used them at the LOS to jam.  Has good hands and shows long speed with long strides.  Shows some recognition to come off his deep zone and jump the underneath out routes from the slot.  Overall the game tape shows a big CB that is raw and looks a little awkward at times, but if is around the ball his size gets hands on the ball.

The Combine workout was difficult as the TV coverage often was at commercial or isolation on another prospect when his drills came up, but he ran 4.48 officially, but one has him timed at 4.43.  His hip turn was pretty good considering how tall and long legged he is.  His W-drill was very impressive to me, as he backpedaled smoothly, then stuck a back foot and quickly broke forward, then transitioned to backpedal.  He high points the ball and catches well, as he is a former WR and the hands showed in the gauntlet drill.  Really good athlete for being such a tall CB!

Honestly, I hope he makes the 53, despite being a developmental guy that I think will not contribute this year, I think by 2018 he can make his way to depth as a boundary CB, when William Gay is gone and hopefully Sutton and Golson are the slot CB's.  Unless he really looks lost in the preseason, somebody will poach him off the practice squad.

Damn Gonzo, I have always wondered if you're secretly an NFL Scout, or assistant coach moonlighting as a fan on the forums. The stuff you post is often better and more informative than the crap from the sports pundits and so-called analysts. Round 5, Utah CB Brian Allen is now a Steeler 1797695198

I appreciate the comments, thanks. Sadly, I am just a degenerate football fan, Steelers junkie and guy that has coached a bit and is a technique junkie. Maybe I should find a way to see if I can make a few pesos doing this?

Things stand out to me and I've missed some calls, but also been right on a few guys like Tyson Jackson, Al Woods, Bruce Davis, Carl Nicks, etc. As much as I don't like really tall and lanky CB's, this kid's movement skills are better than Artie Burns was last year at the combine. Burns didn't turn his hips or change directions as well as Allen and that is probably why Burns turns his hips and plays in "bail technique" a lot.

Sutton looks like a smooth athlete too and moves like a DB. Add the fact that he played 4 years at Tenn and you have experience that the converted WR does not. Steelers secondary will be better this season, the D Line depth is better with Alualu, so just up to the LB group to keep pace and get better in the pass rush.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Round 5, Utah CB Brian Allen is now a Steeler   Round 5, Utah CB Brian Allen is now a Steeler EmptyWed May 03, 2017 4:43 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
IowaSteeler927 wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:

I appreciate the comments, thanks.  Sadly, I am just a degenerate football fan, Steelers junkie and guy that has coached a bit and is a technique junkie.  Maybe I should find a way to see if I can make a few pesos doing this?

Things stand out to me and I've missed some calls, but also been right on a few guys like Tyson Jackson, Al Woods, Bruce Davis, Carl Nicks, etc.  As much as I don't like really tall and lanky CB's, this kid's movement skills are better than Artie Burns was last year at the combine.  Burns didn't turn his hips or change directions as well as Allen and that is probably why Burns turns his hips and plays in "bail technique" a lot.  

Sutton looks like a smooth athlete too and moves like a DB.  Add the fact that he played 4 years at Tenn and you have experience that the converted WR does not.  Steelers secondary will be better this season, the D Line depth is better with Alualu, so just up to the LB group to keep pace and get better in the pass rush.

You know I completely forgot about Tyson Alualu, good call!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Round 5, Utah CB Brian Allen is now a Steeler   Round 5, Utah CB Brian Allen is now a Steeler Empty

Back to top Go down

Round 5, Utah CB Brian Allen is now a Steeler
Page 1 of 1