Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers trade for tight end Vance McDonald Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers trade for tight end Vance McDonald

Go down 
+5
IowaSteeler927
Master_Of_Puppets
schillah
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu
Wallace108
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Steelers trade for tight end Vance McDonald Empty
PostSubject: Steelers trade for tight end Vance McDonald   Steelers trade for tight end Vance McDonald EmptyTue Aug 29, 2017 1:28 pm

By Ray Fittipaldo / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers have traded a fourth-round draft pick to the San Francisco 49ers in exchange for tight end Vance McDonald and a fifth-round pick.

Coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday the move was made because he has been unhappy with the consistency of the tight ends on the roster.

“The guys hadn’t been consistently varsity enough for our comfort,” Tomlin said. “It’s as black and white as that. They had some positive moments and negative moments. We’re not going to anoint [McDonald] in any way. It’s reasonable to expect the guys who are here to respond the right way to his presence. The end result is we’ll get more competitive play at the position, and that’s what we desire.”

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/08/29/vance-mcdonald-trade-steelers-tight-ends-jesse-james-xavier-grimble-david-johnson/stories/201708290121

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for tight end Vance McDonald   Steelers trade for tight end Vance McDonald EmptyTue Aug 29, 2017 1:44 pm

Not really a bad deal. The Niners aren't going to be good this year and we could be SB bound. Green's concussion problems last year really threw things into a wrench. Good luck to McDonald though. Hope he shines in our offense.
Back to top Go down
schillah

schillah

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for tight end Vance McDonald   Steelers trade for tight end Vance McDonald EmptyTue Aug 29, 2017 5:55 pm

"He missed 16 games over four seasons, and his 15.8 drop percentage was worst among tight ends with at least 75 catchable targets since 2013, according to Pro Football Focus."

oh joy.............

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for tight end Vance McDonald   Steelers trade for tight end Vance McDonald EmptyTue Aug 29, 2017 9:11 pm

so tomlin thinks another teams disappointment , is his answer to his disappointment ? this guy has been less productive than what we already have on the roster.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for tight end Vance McDonald   Steelers trade for tight end Vance McDonald EmptyTue Aug 29, 2017 9:55 pm

McDonald was decent despite playing with pretty horrid QB play in San Fran. Sometimes a fresh start on a winning team is a good thing for a player like McDonald. I'm interested to see what he can do. If anything it's a shot across the bow of the other TEs.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for tight end Vance McDonald   Steelers trade for tight end Vance McDonald EmptyTue Aug 29, 2017 11:03 pm

this experiment is going to cost the steelers 2.66 million this season.  hopefully he contributes more than his 30 catch high. his dropsy problems apparently go back to his time at rice.

Quote :
Weaknesses Lacks strength on first contact. Majority of blocking took place in space, no inline, which could show in NFL. At least one drop or bobble per game, occurred even more often at the Senior Bowl. Most occur when he has to adjust or move off his stationary spot. Other times when the ball gets there quickly, unexpected targets. Would like to see him high point more frequently.
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/vance-mcdonald?id=2540215
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for tight end Vance McDonald   Steelers trade for tight end Vance McDonald EmptyTue Aug 29, 2017 11:42 pm

Reading Twitter about this trade doesn't give me a good vibe. 49'ers fans are pretty much consistently happy he is gone. From what they said, the only thing McDonald is good at is being injured and dropping passes.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for tight end Vance McDonald   Steelers trade for tight end Vance McDonald EmptyWed Aug 30, 2017 4:38 am

Gotta shake my head on this one. Game 2 McGee looked to me like a pretty good blocker but I didn't see him in the last game.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for tight end Vance McDonald   Steelers trade for tight end Vance McDonald EmptyWed Aug 30, 2017 5:48 am

McDonald has a rep as a good blocker and has good speed at the TE position. I think Ben will be able to capitalize on McDonald's strengths far more than Kaeperdick and Blaine Gabbert ever did. Ben is the kind of guy that makes the players around him better. McDonald has never had the luxury of playing with a QB that should even be mentioned in the same sentence as Ben.

I love the signing personally. I could be very wrong, but I think he's going to flourish in our offense.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for tight end Vance McDonald   Steelers trade for tight end Vance McDonald EmptyWed Aug 30, 2017 10:07 am

He brings good blocking to the group and questionable hands. Consider the 49ers let Delanie Walker go with the plan that McDonald would replace him and they are pretty much swapping a few draft positions in day 3 of the draft to depart with him.....doesn't say much.

Still not a lock to make the roster IMO, but I think the trade for him means they think he can help and should push somebody else off the 53. Its a "meh" move IMO, but with little downside, so why not.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for tight end Vance McDonald   Steelers trade for tight end Vance McDonald EmptyWed Aug 30, 2017 1:55 pm

the browns have parted ways with joe haden , is he varsity enough for tomlin to go after ?
Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for tight end Vance McDonald   Steelers trade for tight end Vance McDonald EmptyWed Aug 30, 2017 2:50 pm

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
the browns have parted ways with joe haden , is he varsity enough for tomlin to go after ?

They're meeting with him tonight per a notification I got on my app.
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for tight end Vance McDonald   Steelers trade for tight end Vance McDonald EmptyThu Aug 31, 2017 7:34 am

Maybe the Steelers bring in new TEs every pre-season to motivate Jesse "The Outlaw" James?

Yes, that's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Steelers trade for tight end Vance McDonald 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for tight end Vance McDonald   Steelers trade for tight end Vance McDonald Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelers trade for tight end Vance McDonald
Page 1 of 1