Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeIs Ben to blame? Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Is Ben to blame?

Go down 
+8
SteelersNorth
Geordie
Fire Arians
vasteeler
jak341
effyou515
solardave
stlrtruck
12 posters
AuthorMessage
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

Is Ben to blame? Empty
PostSubject: Is Ben to blame?   Is Ben to blame? EmptyWed Nov 01, 2017 1:08 pm

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-opinions-reactions-news-updates/2017/11/1/16581254/ben-roethlisberger-might-not-be-the-problem-with-pittsburghs-offense-steelers-todd-haley-nfl?ref=yfp

The article reflects on the comparison between relationships between Ben and his WRs during the SB run and the relationship now with current set of WRs.

Quote :
Ben continues to look downfield for Antonio Brown—not because he likes to throw into double-coverage—but mainly due to the comfort level and rapport he’s established with No. 84. There seems little doubt that, if Heath Miller was still in his prime, Pittsburgh wouldn’t be platooning tight ends and the team’s red-zone efficiency would be vastly improved. Similarly, who knows where we might be today if Bryant hadn’t missed the entire 2016 season? Despite the outstanding performance of rookie JuJu Smith-Schuster on Sunday night against the Detroit Lions, neither he nor Bryant has yet established anywhere close to the kind of rapport with Ben that Hines Ward enjoyed throughout his amazing career.

In all honesty, the relationship and comfort levels with WRs should've been made in pre-season. Oh wait, Ben played a few snaps and didn't see the field. Those 4 pre-season games certainly could've helped strengthen some of his concerns and helped. Maybe the BYE week will provide a much needed growth spurt.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Is Ben to blame? 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

Is Ben to blame? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Ben to blame?   Is Ben to blame? EmptyThu Nov 02, 2017 4:43 am

I agree he should have played more in the preseason. I also hope he gets on track and gains re pore with his WRs other than AB. I'm wondering why he isn't looking for JJ in the middle. I know he's the sloth but he can fall forward for those 2-3 & 5s.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

Is Ben to blame? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Ben to blame?   Is Ben to blame? EmptyThu Nov 02, 2017 7:38 am

if MB can get his shit together him and AB on the outside and JuJu in the slot this 3 WR set could be dangerous to opposing defenses.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

Is Ben to blame? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Ben to blame?   Is Ben to blame? EmptyThu Nov 02, 2017 8:09 am

effyou515 wrote:
if MB can get his shit together him and AB on the outside and JuJu in the slot this 3 WR set could be dangerous to opposing defenses.

Sorry but I think MB is a head case. I think this is his last year as a Steeler. Rogers didn't help his cause by dropping that TD pass last week.
I think QB is a priority next draft but it's looking now like we need a later round WR and some luck.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

Is Ben to blame? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Ben to blame?   Is Ben to blame? EmptyThu Nov 02, 2017 4:30 pm

solardave wrote:
effyou515 wrote:

Sorry but I think MB is a head case. I think this is his last year as a Steeler. Rogers didn't help his cause by dropping that TD pass last week.
I think QB is a priority next draft but it's looking now like we need a later round WR and some luck.

Rogers drop might have a little to do with the MB drama he's getting a lot less playing time and not as sharp like he was last year. not counting AB or JuJu a drama queen came f'up a room / position.
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

Is Ben to blame? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Ben to blame?   Is Ben to blame? EmptyThu Nov 02, 2017 5:44 pm

If the price to move up this year for a QB is our 1st this year, a 3rd this year, a 1st next year, and a 1st in 2020, should we make that trade? That is a high amount to give up, but may be the going rate in a QB heavy class and many teams needing a QB.

The alternative is to roll with Jones or Dobbs and to royally suck for a high draft pick in 2019.
Back to top Go down
vasteeler

vasteeler

Is Ben to blame? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Ben to blame?   Is Ben to blame? EmptyThu Nov 02, 2017 6:31 pm

Partial blame for sure. I expect the second half of the season to be MUCH better. Domination type better

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

Is Ben to blame? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Ben to blame?   Is Ben to blame? EmptyFri Nov 03, 2017 4:20 pm

Ben has fallen off, and I think the team's recent improvement is realizing this, and putting the offensive load on the legs of Le'Veon Bell. Win the games with a strong defense and running game, while Ben manages the game. Which IMO is back to winning football, because Ben has always historically been his best when attempting less than 40 passes per game, and leaning on a dominating running game.

Not a knock on Ben at all, but let's be real, if not for Parker/Bettis, and a perennial #1 defense in 2005/2008, we don't win any championships. He's always been a very good QB who could burn you with big plays, but not quite on the level of a Brady/Manning/Brees who are capable of shouldering the team's offense on his arm.

We will go far, maybe even win it all if Bell can stay healthy. He's going to be the ticket to this year's sb, as well as the improved play of the defense.

With that said, I'm a bit worried about Bell's workload. I think Conner needs to be incorporated in the offense more.

Also, I think Ben will improve a good bit from the beginning of the season. He was working with new pieces in the offense, and Martavis Bryant has been a major disappointment. I don't think his first half performance was all on him. However, the explosion from JJSS in Detroit gives me hope that we've found a very capable #2 to open up the offense. Best case scenario it also lights up a competitive fire in MB, and he starts going back to his 2nd year production. However, I won't hold my breath. It does seem that JJSS is outperforming him in all phases of the game at this point.
Back to top Go down
Geordie

Is Ben to blame? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Ben to blame?   Is Ben to blame? EmptySun Nov 05, 2017 6:00 pm

jak341 said "If the price to move up this year for a QB is our 1st this year, a 3rd this year, a 1st next year, and a 1st in 2020, should we make that trade? That is a high amount to give up, but may be the going rate in a QB heavy class and many teams needing a QB.

The alternative is to roll with Jones or Dobbs and to royally suck for a high draft pick in 2019"

I guess it depends on how good the QB is. I see little of the college game, is there anyone currently that good that we'd be able to get and wouldn't be gone by the time we pick ?

Apologies for the convuluted posting style but for some reason I can't quote on this site when using Firefox.
Back to top Go down
SteelersNorth

Is Ben to blame? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Ben to blame?   Is Ben to blame? EmptyTue Nov 07, 2017 9:50 pm

Fire Arians wrote:

Not a knock on Ben at all, but let's be real, if not for Parker/Bettis, and a perennial #1 defense in 2005/2008, we don't win any championships. He's always been a very good QB who could burn you with big plays, but not quite on the level of a Brady/Manning/Brees who are capable of shouldering the team's offense on his arm.

Hate to break it to you but you’re dead wrong.
The 2005 title run doesn’t happen if Ben doesn’t light it up in the first 3 games.
The 2008 WIN doesn’t happen if Ben isn’t the QB.

With all things being equal Holmes didn’t deserve that MVP Ben did because if any other QB makes that drive Brady, Rodgers (the most overrated qb in nfl history), Brees, hell even Eli would’ve won MVP.

Regardless of how certain parts are formed this team will live and die by Ben at QB.
What happened to AB when Ben got hurt for 4 games n 2015? He vanished.

Let’s see how the 2nd half goes...
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

Is Ben to blame? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Ben to blame?   Is Ben to blame? EmptyWed Nov 08, 2017 1:45 am

SteelersNorth wrote:
Fire Arians wrote:

The 2005 title run doesn’t happen if Ben doesn’t light it up in the first 3 games.

With all things being equal Holmes didn’t deserve that MVP Ben did because if any other QB makes that drive Brady, Rodgers (the most overrated qb in nfl history), Brees, hell even Eli would’ve won MVP.

Regardless of how certain parts are formed this team will live and die by Ben at QB.

AB vanished in last years AFC Championship game and Ben was the QB.
Back to top Go down
SteelersNorth

Is Ben to blame? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Ben to blame?   Is Ben to blame? EmptyWed Nov 08, 2017 8:57 am

effyou515 wrote:
SteelersNorth wrote:
Fire Arians wrote:

That’s because the Cheatriots were able to cover him with the other 11 guys on defense since no other Steelers receiver could catch a ball.
Need to use some logic here.

It helps having Bell healthy and the ‘threat’ of Bryant being able to catch a deep ball and now JuJu in the middle.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

Is Ben to blame? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Ben to blame?   Is Ben to blame? EmptyWed Nov 08, 2017 2:42 pm

SteelersNorth wrote:
effyou515 wrote:
SteelersNorth wrote:
Fire Arians wrote:

That’s because the Cheatriots were able to cover him with the other 11 guys on defense since no other Steelers receiver could catch a ball.

It helps having Bell healthy and the ‘threat’ of Bryant being able to catch a deep ball and now JuJu in the middle.

you talking 2005 and 2008 season this 2017 Ben is not the same QB his started dropping off talent wise in 2015.

also it was another Ben passing game plan throw the 15 yards down field all night.
Back to top Go down
SteelersNorth

Is Ben to blame? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Ben to blame?   Is Ben to blame? EmptyWed Nov 08, 2017 5:05 pm

effyou515 wrote:
SteelersNorth wrote:
effyou515 wrote:
SteelersNorth wrote:
Fire Arians wrote:

you talking 2005 and 2008 season this 2017 Ben is not the same QB his started dropping off talent wise in 2015.

also it was another Ben passing game plan throw the 15 yards down field all night.

I’m not sure you’re watching the same guy I am then.
Has he played ‘amazing’ this year no.
Throw out the Jags game with the 5 picks and the fumble ruled an interception against the Ravens and the one against KC where brown stopped and his TD:INT is 10-3
Not spectacular by any stretch but he’s also thrown some ropes to Brown for TDS had a few perfect touch passes one to McDonald in KC and the JuJu one for the big catch and run.
But to say his play fell off in 2015 is crazy.

And yes I still think he can be the ‘same’ QB this year and next. After that I’m not sure what happens...
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

Is Ben to blame? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Ben to blame?   Is Ben to blame? EmptyWed Nov 08, 2017 11:53 pm

SteelersNorth wrote:
effyou515 wrote:
SteelersNorth wrote:
effyou515 wrote:
SteelersNorth wrote:
Fire Arians wrote:

Has he played ‘amazing’ this year no.no
Throw out the Jags game with the 5 picks and the fumble ruled an interception against the Ravens and the one against KC where brown stopped and his TD:INT is 10-3
Not spectacular by any stretch but he’s also thrown some ropes to Brown for TDS had a few perfect touch passes one to McDonald in KC and the JuJu one for the big catch and run.

And yes I still think he can be the ‘same’ QB this year and next. After that I’m not sure what happens...

sorry I busted on your idol 2005 2008 take away those defenses that held opposing offense down so Ben could but together one good scoring drive to win the game. yes he can pull a good game out of his ass a couple times a year.
Back to top Go down
SteelersNorth

Is Ben to blame? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Ben to blame?   Is Ben to blame? EmptyThu Nov 09, 2017 6:27 am

effyou515 wrote:
SteelersNorth wrote:
effyou515 wrote:
SteelersNorth wrote:
effyou515 wrote:
SteelersNorth wrote:
Fire Arians wrote:

Has he played ‘amazing’ this year no.no

sorry I busted on your idol 2005 2008 take away those defenses that held opposing offense down so Ben could but together one good scoring drive to win the game. yes he can pull a good game out of his ass a couple times a year.

I’m glad you think you’re funny.
So you must think in both 2005 and 8 they’d of won with anyone at QB like Tommy?
What happened when they dominated with Kordell and had an ‘amazing’ defense? Exactly nuthin’ zip zilch zero, Ben put them over the top.
Hell even Aaron ‘God’ Rodgers can’t win it by himself even when the media tells you he does.
Fact is all QBs need some semblance of a defense. Football is the ultimate team game but certain players help you over the top.

As I said let’s see how the 2nd half of this year goes and hope for the best
Back to top Go down
Steeler-in-west

Steeler-in-west

Is Ben to blame? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Ben to blame?   Is Ben to blame? EmptyThu Nov 09, 2017 12:05 pm

I don’t think so. I chalk it off to him getting comfortable with his new receivers, not being on the same page as MB, yet, and questionable play calls. Some of his passes have had less zip, but not sure if that’s not him just trying to float a few in to the receiver on purpose (don’t think he’s playing hurt Is Ben to blame? 2087824411 )

The second half should reveal a lot, but I also expect a strong showing from Ben
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

Is Ben to blame? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Ben to blame?   Is Ben to blame? EmptySat Nov 11, 2017 1:18 pm

Some of it could be comfort level with current receivers but if you look at 5e last 8 games he has consistently made terrible off the mark passes often.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

Is Ben to blame? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Ben to blame?   Is Ben to blame? EmptySun Nov 12, 2017 7:11 pm

Is Ben to blame? Well-fuck-p-steelers-oc-todd-haley-press-conference-live-2038080
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

Is Ben to blame? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Ben to blame?   Is Ben to blame? EmptyMon Nov 13, 2017 8:29 am

I'll throw in my thoughts here:
1. Issue: Play calling Culprit: Todd Haley
It seems there's no creativity and worse part about that is we have a talented group of players who can make this offense a 30+ per game offense.

2. Issue: Forced throws Culprit: Ben
Ben has this knack, especially lately, to force the ball to players down field. He picks a guy for a game and wants to force him the ball. It doesn't matter if he is double covered or not. Ben needs to start utilizing his check downs and taking advantage of what the defense is giving him. When he does this, then our offense will increase in productivity.

3. Issue: poor tackling Culprit: Keith Butler
At times the defense fears hitting someone and it shows. These guys need to get nasty and Butler just isn't driving this in to the team.

4. Issue: Lack of intensity Culprit: Joey Porter/Keith Butler
Missing piece of intensity is Deebo. I've heard plans about unleashing Deebo, but you better get him out there soon as I believe his presence changes the way our defense plays.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Is Ben to blame? 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

Is Ben to blame? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Ben to blame?   Is Ben to blame? EmptyMon Nov 13, 2017 5:23 pm

one game they tackle everything the next game they forget how to tackle.

here on out this team needs to be fired up for every game can't be taking games off like Sundays game.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

Is Ben to blame? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Ben to blame?   Is Ben to blame? EmptyWed Nov 15, 2017 12:29 pm

Ben Roethlisberger cannot throw deep

by Parker Hurley, Cover32

The Pittsburgh Steelers offense has not nearly been as successful as many had thought it would be at this point in the season. It has brought questions as to what the issues are. Is it a rift between quarterback and coordinator, is it the Martavis Bryant saga, or the shuffling of two superstars in Antonio Brown and Le’Veon Bell? What could it be? The biggest difference and the easiest way to look at why the Steelers offense has not been moving is none of the above. It is simply that Ben Roethlisberger cannot throw the ball down the field like he used to be able to.

Roethlisberger is now 26 of 78 throwing the ball 15 yards or more this season. That includes seven interceptions to just three touchdowns. For context he had 13 touchdowns to four interceptions on these passes just last season. His completion percentage is on track to hit a career low and is down over 12% from the season before. On Sunday, this issue put the team into a hole that almost cost them the game.

to read rest of article:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/ben-roethlisberger-cannot-throw-deep-215714684.html
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

Is Ben to blame? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Ben to blame?   Is Ben to blame? EmptyWed Nov 15, 2017 1:30 pm

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

The Pittsburgh Steelers offense has not nearly been as successful as many had thought it would be at this point in the season. It has brought questions as to what the issues are. Is it a rift between quarterback and coordinator, is it the Martavis Bryant saga, or the shuffling of two superstars in Antonio Brown and Le’Veon Bell? What could it be? The biggest difference and the easiest way to look at why the Steelers offense has not been moving is none of the above. It is simply that Ben Roethlisberger cannot throw the ball down the field like he used to be able to.

Roethlisberger is now 26 of 78 throwing the ball 15 yards or more this season. That includes seven interceptions to just three touchdowns. For context he had 13 touchdowns to four interceptions on these passes just last season. His completion percentage is on track to hit a career low and is down over 12% from the season before. On Sunday, this issue put the team into a hole that almost cost them the game.

to read rest of article:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/ben-roethlisberger-cannot-throw-deep-215714684.html

I think a huge part of that is Martavis Bryant. There's at least 2 or 3 INT's on deep balls to him that he failed to track. Just last sunday, I consider that INT to be his fault, not Ben's. You have a 6'4 WR being thrown at in a 1on1 situation. If he's a legit #2 WR, he has to win those at least 50/50, and at the very least, contest the ball so the defender doesn't pick it off.

MB lost whatever he had in his first 2 seasons, or maybe teams have caught on to the fact he can't make contested catches, and is no good at tracking a ball. Now at this point I'd call Juju the #2 WR at this point. In the last 2 games, he's done more than MB has done all year. MB is damaged goods, I hope I'm wrong but it's looking that way. Trying to make MB what he's not (a starting #2 WR) is one of the things that is greatly holding back this offense atm. That and a decent TE. Doesn't help that McDonald is injured every other game.

And call me crazy but I think Bell is also not what he once was. He seems to be lacking that burst he used to, and especially last game is looking really slow. Are those 200+ carries he's racked up so far taking its toll? I don't care if he's leading the league in rushing yards right now, 3.8 yards per carry is not 'elite production'. I hope it was just an off game, but I can't recall a single instance in the game vs Indy where he won a 1on1 matchup. For someone who wants to be paid like the #1 back, he has to play like it. And he hasn't.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

Is Ben to blame? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Ben to blame?   Is Ben to blame? EmptyWed Nov 15, 2017 8:51 pm

Fire Arians wrote:
Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

to read rest of article:

I think a huge part of that is Martavis Bryant. There's at least 2 or 3 INT's on deep balls to him that he failed to track. Just last sunday, I consider that INT to be his fault, not Ben's. 9(imo that was a 30/70 ball the 70 going to the defender imo if Ben had thrown the ball about 2 seconds earlier it would of hit MB in stride a PI or been a 50/50 ball. You have a 6'4 WR being thrown at in a 1on1 situation. If he's a legit #2 WR, he has to win those at least 50/50, and at the very least, contest the ball so the defender doesn't pick it off.

MB lost whatever he had in his first 2 seasons, or maybe teams have caught on to the fact he can't make contested catches, and is no good at tracking a ball. Now at this point I'd call Juju the #2 WR at this point. In the last 2 games, he's done more than MB has done all year. MB is damaged goods, I hope I'm wrong but it's looking that way. Trying to make MB what he's not (a starting #2 WR) is one of the things that is greatly holding back this offense atm. That and a decent TE. Doesn't help that McDonald is injured every other game.

And call me crazy but I think Bell is also not what he once was. He seems to be lacking that burst he used to, and especially last game is looking really slow. Are those 200+ carries he's racked up so far taking its toll? I don't care if he's leading the league in rushing yards right now, 3.8 yards per carry is not 'elite production'. I hope it was just an off game, but I can't recall a single instance in the game vs Indy where he won a 1on1 matchup. For someone who wants to be paid like the #1 back, he has to play like it. And he hasn't.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

Is Ben to blame? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Ben to blame?   Is Ben to blame? EmptyWed Nov 15, 2017 11:35 pm

3rd downs are where the steelers are sucking.

ben 3rd down ...35/90...38.9%

3rd & SHORT (1-3 YDS) ...9/14...64.3%

3RD & MEDIUM (3-7 YDS) ...16/39...41%

3RD & LONG (8+ YDS).....10/37 ...27%

BEN ON 1ST DOWN ....69/101...68.3%

BEN WITH 2 WIDE (QB RATING) ...118.9
BEN WITH 4 WIDE (QB RATING0....79
BEN IN SHOTGUN (QB RATING) ....84.3

Can someone forward these stats to Hailey and tell him to throw more out of two wide on first down ?

stats
http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/leaders.asp?range=AFC&rank=223&type=Passing&year=
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Is Ben to blame? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Ben to blame?   Is Ben to blame? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is Ben to blame?
Page 1 of 1