Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeWas Scott really to blame Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Was Scott really to blame

Go down 
+4
SteelersYak
vasteeler
Wallace108
supytalpeht
8 posters
AuthorMessage
supytalpeht

Was Scott really to blame Empty
PostSubject: Was Scott really to blame   Was Scott really to blame EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 6:49 am

not according to this he wasn't.

Quote :

Taking a look back at the Steelers-Colts game on my DVR

* Ben Roethlisberger and Mike Wallace have developed a strong enough rapport that words don’t need to be said for the two to be thinking the same thing.

That was proven during last week’s win over Seattle when Roethlisberger gave Wallace a look that turned into a short touchdown pass in the back of the end zone.

To steal a famous line from the Big Ben: Live by the sword, die by the sword.

On Dwight Freeney’s strip sack and ensuing touchdown return by Jamaal Anderson wasn’t Jonathan Scott’s fault.

Nope, it was Big Ben and Mike Wallace ‘living by the sword and dying by the sword.’

Rewind back to the third offensive play of the game for the Steelers – a 29-yard catch-and-run by Wallace. Cornerback Jerraud Powers jumped the route, but was late getting to the quick throw from Roethlisberger to Wallace that resulted in a big gain.

Don’t think Roethlisberger and Wallace didn’t notice either that Powers jumped the route.

So when the same play was called late in the first half with the near identical formation other than a third receiver in the game rather than a second tight end, Roethlisberger and Wallace did their own little thing and decided not to let anybody else in on it – well, at least that’s what the films says.

The play was supposed to be another quick-hitter to Wallace, but they decided to fake that and go deep. More like it, it was probably something that was discussed between Roethlisberger, Arians and Wallace sometime during the first half.

In theory, it was a good idea.

In reality, it was a disaster.

First of all, Scott is setting for a two-step drop and a quick throw by Roethlisberger. Scott was in perfect position with his inside protected well for where he thought Roethlisberger was going to be vulnerable.

When Roethlisberger decided to take a couple more steps back, Scott was instantly out of position and Freeney had a free run at him.

What makes this play so intriguing is that even if Roethlisberger would’ve gotten the ball away to Wallace, it would’ve come back.

Guard Chris Kemoeatu was 10 yards down the field going over a linebacker – exactly where he was supposed to be because it was supposed to be such a quick throw. Also, Heath Miller and Hines Ward were already blocking down field.

It just goes to show you that even though the replay appears that Scott was absolutely whipped by Freeney on the play, all the blame really needs to go to the quarterback.

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2011/09/27/after-further-review-6/
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Was Scott really to blame   Was Scott really to blame EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 7:25 am

That's an interesting analysis. And if it's true, coupled with some other things I've read, I think Ben needs to be reigned in a little. During the Cowher regime, Ben was regarded as nothing but a game manager, and I'm sure that label drove him nuts. Ben is a lot like Favre ... he's a gunslinger. And since Arians gives him a lot of control, there's no doubt why Ben was so adamant about keeping him. But I don't think our offense is benefiting from the current strategy. Something, other than the O-line, needs to change.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
supytalpeht

PostSubject: Re: Was Scott really to blame   Was Scott really to blame EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 7:46 am

I think it's a fine line between letting him "be Ben" and over coaching for lack of better term. I seem to recall an interview with Arians about how he almost ruined a young QB by trying to change too much and wouldn't do it again. If that's the case here then it's not solely a Ben thing by any means. Arians also needs to realize that sometimes too little is just as bad as too much. Although after 8 years in the league Ben should be figuring some of this out on his own as well.

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Was Scott really to blame   Was Scott really to blame EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 7:51 am

I completely agree. And, much like the O-line, there's not an easy fix.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
vasteeler

vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: Was Scott really to blame   Was Scott really to blame EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 11:25 am

thats an interesting write up but the biggest thing that sticks in my mind was when i think it was freeny did a spin move on him for some reason or another he also did a spin move.....funniest thing ive seen in a while.

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Was Scott really to blame   Was Scott really to blame EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 11:46 am

That's the way it goes when you play that way, because silently audibling can be very deadly.

One play on Ben, but how many others on the O-line. I'm not worried about them, YET.

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Was Scott really to blame   Was Scott really to blame EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 3:51 pm

Good read, Supy! That's the kind of analysis we need. I've been hard on Scott too, but if it's true that Ben is changing the plays and not filling everybody in on it, that's not helping matters when it comes to the O-line. It may be going a long way towards making an average O-line look like bumbling buffoons out there.

I agree with Wally that Arians needs to reign Ben in a little. He's being given too much freedom to improvise with mixed results. This unchecked freedom explains why Ben loves Bruce so much, but it's not necessarily good for the team as a whole and could also explain some of the unfavorable views towards Ben from some of his teammates that we heard about in the last few years (accurate or not).

Somebody has to take control of this inconsistent offense besides Ben if this is the case. If Bruce is a truly solid offensive coordinator, he should start taking more control and proving it before he loses his job from the offense's lack of realizing their full potential.

Back to top Go down
fer69

fer69

PostSubject: Re: Was Scott really to blame   Was Scott really to blame EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 7:20 pm

i think we're puting a lot of blame on him
and we're not giving enough credit to the colts D
i watched the game last night and that D played their hearts out
that Freeny guy is a BEAST
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Was Scott really to blame   Was Scott really to blame EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 9:32 pm

vasteeler wrote:
thats an interesting write up but the biggest thing that sticks in my mind was when i think it was freeny did a spin move on him for some reason or another he also did a spin move.....funniest thing ive seen in a while.
Funny as hell. But it worked. He knocked Freeney on his ass with, I'm not sure what you'd call it, an ass block?. Was Scott really to blame 312503953
Actually, Scott ended up blocking two guys on the play. We found the fix to our O-line troubles ... have them line up backwards and throw some ass blocks. Was Scott really to blame 1797695198

Was Scott really to blame Jonathan-scott-butt-block
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/09/jonathan-scott-ass-block-animated-gif/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SteelersDepotBlog+%28Steelers+Depot+Blog%29

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Was Scott really to blame   Was Scott really to blame EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 4:43 am

Wallace108 wrote:
We found the fix to our O-line troubles ... have them line up backwards and throw some ass blocks. Was Scott really to blame 1797695198

Is that the opposite of a cock block? Was Scott really to blame 2829330259

Was Scott really to blame 3798349058

Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Was Scott really to blame   Was Scott really to blame EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 2:15 pm

Welcome class to Ass Block 101

a little video for you to study, notice Scotts ass block tech

http://www.steelersdepot.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/jonathan-scott-butt-block.gif

Was Scott really to blame 3410998299
Back to top Go down
steelerdude15

steelerdude15

PostSubject: Re: Was Scott really to blame   Was Scott really to blame EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 2:22 pm

I don't think everything was his fault, but he certainly didn't help. I wish he would be cut already though since he doesn't help the team.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Was Scott really to blame   Was Scott really to blame EmptySat Oct 01, 2011 1:46 am

Wallace108 wrote:
vasteeler wrote:
Funny as hell. But it worked. He knocked Freeney on his ass with, I'm not sure what you'd call it, an ass block?. Was Scott really to blame 312503953
Actually, Scott ended up blocking two guys on the play. We found the fix to our O-line troubles ... have them line up backwards and throw some ass blocks. Was Scott really to blame 1797695198

Was Scott really to blame Jonathan-scott-butt-block
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/09/jonathan-scott-ass-block-animated-gif/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SteelersDepotBlog+%28Steelers+Depot+Blog%29

Was Scott really to blame 2573146105
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Was Scott really to blame   Was Scott really to blame Empty

Back to top Go down

Was Scott really to blame
Page 1 of 1