Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSome Steelers limited partners want a coaching change Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change

Go down 
+9
effyou515
zcoop
SteelerFreak58
LambertWardSteel
jak341
fer69
solardave
Shalieve5090
Wallace108
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change Empty
PostSubject: Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change   Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change EmptyTue Jan 16, 2018 12:30 pm

Plenty of Steelers fans currently are upset with the performance of coach Mike Tomlin, given the team’s inability to get back to the Super Bowl or, more specifically, to get past the Patriots*. (And now the Jaguars.) A small group of Steelers fans who own pieces of the franchise’s equity are particularly miffed with Tomlin — sufficiently miffed that they want to see a change get made.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, some of the team’s limited partners intend to lobby owner Art Rooney to fire of Tomlin and to hire a new coach.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/16/source-some-steelers-limited-partners-want-a-coaching-change/
-------------------------------------------------------

I'll point out that Browns owner Jimmy Haslam was once among those limited partners. Rooney would be wise to listen to his football people. Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change 3121608646

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Shalieve5090

Shalieve5090

PostSubject: Re: Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change   Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change EmptyTue Jan 16, 2018 12:34 pm

If there is a god, please. Question is, who replaces Tomlin though?
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change   Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change EmptyTue Jan 16, 2018 12:38 pm

All the things brought up are the very things we've been talking about. Situational football, no discipline,both on his part and the players. At this point I'm not against firing Tomlin. I am all for canning Haley, Butler, Porter and Lake. A mute point if Tomlin is fired. I think Munchak could be a viable candidate.
Back to top Go down
fer69

fer69

PostSubject: Re: Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change   Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change EmptyTue Jan 16, 2018 12:39 pm

Well they better hurry up because I believe Munch was asked to go back to Arizona for a second interview

F@(k Wallace.. Throw it to Miller
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change   Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change EmptyTue Jan 16, 2018 12:50 pm

fer69 wrote:
Well they better hurry up because I believe Munch was asked to go back to Arizona for a second interview

Yeah I read that so there should be a sense of urgency. Not like the last minute of the last game. Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change 2913999526
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change   Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change EmptyTue Jan 16, 2018 12:52 pm

Living in Northeast Ohio, I remember vividly how Marty Schottenheimer was run out of Cleveland because of disappointing playoff performances.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change   Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change EmptyTue Jan 16, 2018 12:57 pm

Don't forget there's a guy named Cowher who for Gruden type money might be tempted to come out of retirement. Just sayin'. Then we can all say he won with Tomlin's team. Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change 1378315869
Back to top Go down
Shalieve5090

Shalieve5090

PostSubject: Re: Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change   Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change EmptyTue Jan 16, 2018 1:00 pm

I'd love Cowher back but I dont see that happening. I kind of like Pagano, but idk how he would fit with us.
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change   Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change EmptyTue Jan 16, 2018 1:14 pm

#firetomlin

That's my one word opinion.
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change   Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change EmptyTue Jan 16, 2018 1:49 pm

Maybe htis is why we lose to the Jags and can't beat the cheats. What a stupid comment from an Ed Bouchette Tweet:

Quote :
Tomlin: "I'm really excited about" coaching in the Pro Bowl.

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change   Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change EmptyTue Jan 16, 2018 2:32 pm

solardave wrote:
Don't forget there's a guy named Cowher who for Gruden type money might be tempted to come out of retirement. Just sayin'.

TollingtheBell26 wrote:
I'd love Cowher back but I dont see that happening. I kind of like Pagano, but idk how he would fit with us.

I remember a lot of Steelers fans wanting Cowher fired, especially after the 1998-2000 seasons when we went 7-9, 6-10, and 9-7. And then again in his final season. I also remember the frustration after losing four AFC chamionships and all the talk about how Cowher's teams couldn't win the big games. Don't get me wrong ... I love Cowher, but time has a way of rewriting perception. The frustration fans are feeling with Tomlin isn't much different than the frustrations that we had with Cowher. As Steelers fans, we're spoiled and expect to win the Super Bowl every year. Other than the Patriots*, which other team has enjoyed as much constant success as the Steelers in the Tomlin era?

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change   Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change EmptyTue Jan 16, 2018 3:01 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
solardave wrote:
Don't forget there's a guy named Cowher who for Gruden type money might be tempted to come out of retirement. Just sayin'.

TollingtheBell26 wrote:

I remember a lot of Steelers fans wanting Cowher fired, especially after the 1998-2000 seasons when we went 7-9, 6-10, and 9-7. And then again in his final season. I also remember the frustration after losing four AFC chamionships and all the talk about how Cowher's teams couldn't win the big games. Don't get me wrong ... I love Cowher, but time has a way of rewriting perception. The frustration fans are feeling with Tomlin isn't much different than the frustrations that we had with Cowher. As Steelers fans, we're spoiled and expect to win the Super Bowl every year. Other than the Patriots**, which other team ( without cheating)has enjoyed as much constant success as the Steelers in the Tomlin era?

Fixed it for you. And you're right I was probably one of them. Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change 611739232
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change   Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change EmptyTue Jan 16, 2018 3:10 pm

Tomlin went 13-3 while a head coaching change sounds nice to a lot of people who is out there that has a better pedigree and stats to back it up?

Cowher isn’t coming back to coaching. Coughlin is enjoying the Jags run. What coach out there can come close to what Tomlin has done this last decade besides bellichick? The pickings out there are pretty slim...

Be careful what you wish for...
Back to top Go down
Shalieve5090

Shalieve5090

PostSubject: Re: Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change   Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change EmptyTue Jan 16, 2018 3:20 pm

SteelerFreak58 wrote:
Tomlin went 13-3 while a head coaching change sounds nice to a lot of people who is out there that has a better pedigree and stats to back it up?

Cowher isn’t coming back to coaching. Coughlin is enjoying the Jags run. What coach out there can come close to what Tomlin has done this last decade besides bellichick? The pickings out there are pretty slim...

True, and thats the thing theres not really any quality names out there that I can think of that havent been hired yet. As much as I hate it I say maybe give it another year and see whose names come up from coordinating positions and such as coaching candidates. I think Tomlins leash will be very short if they do the same shit next year.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change   Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change EmptyTue Jan 16, 2018 3:38 pm

TollingtheBell26 wrote:
SteelerFreak58 wrote:

True, and thats the thing theres not really any quality names out there that I can think of that havent been hired yet. As much as I hate it I say maybe give it another year and see whose names come up from coordinating positions and such as coaching candidates. I think Tomlins leash will be very short if they do the same shit next year.

Tomlin needs to take control and not let these guys do whatever they want. They are a distraction and he better put his foot down. If he doesn't do that we'll not win another SB. He also needs to make better game time decisions. Butler,Haley and especially Porter and Lake can be replaced.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change   Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change EmptyTue Jan 16, 2018 4:05 pm

Discussing Tomlin's flaws and what he needs to improve on is fair. I just don't believe that firing him, starting over, and taking a chance on the unknown is the best option. A new coach could win us more Super Bowls. He could also turn us into the Browns. Look at what happened to the Giants. With Tomlin, as with Cowher, we might not win the Super Bowl every year, but at least we know it's a possibility. A lot of fans of other teams would kill to have our problems.

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change   Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change EmptyTue Jan 16, 2018 8:10 pm

Something else to consider. Dan Rooney gave us Noll, Cowher, and Tomlin. But Dan isn't with us anymore. We have no idea what kind of coach Art will hire. What we do know is that Art doesn't have the same background Dan did. We all remember all the great things people said about Dan. Anyone recall similar accolades given to Art? My point is they're not the same person. Art isn't going to make the same decisions Dan did. So as they say ... be careful what you wish for.

Back to top Go down
zcoop

PostSubject: Re: Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change   Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change EmptyTue Jan 16, 2018 11:10 pm

If the Steelers fire Tomlin, they will lose a lot of respect. It would be a very bad move.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change   Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change EmptyTue Jan 16, 2018 11:33 pm

those silent owners who want Tomlin fired might just be raciest. Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change 1689750825

this isn't just on Tomlin some goes to the front office they are really the ones who hire and direction the team takes.
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change   Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change EmptyTue Jan 16, 2018 11:50 pm

I tend to agree with this thinking. First reaction after a game like this are always panning for blood. Part of me thinks it would be hard to find immediate competence at head coach but, at the same time, I think the success of the team is fostered-nurtured by the way the Rooneys run the organization. Maybe Dan's passing changes that somewhat but this is what we have to go forward with. I feel like The Chief passed things down well to Dan and Dan did the same.

I do think Haley should go simply because there are so many stories about him not getting along with Ben. I'm up in the air about Butler.

I would assume there is some kind of yearly evaluation process that goes on with Rooney and Tomlin where things are addressed. Most professions do have this. Game management mistakes that he is making need to stop. It is absolutely ridiculous that after the Jesse James catch was ruled incomplete that the cheats players say they knew what was coming next play but only Ben and Eli Rogers seemed to know for the Steelers. I don't know if Tomlin directly responsible for that miscommunication but if he wasn't he needs to rectify it with the person that was. There were still a couple downs to play with after the James reversal. The clock was stopped from the incompletion. They had 3-4 minutes to discuss things. Had they scored the reversal in the end could have been an advantage because it would have killed more clock and given brady less time. If that had gone smoothly we likely would be playing for the SB at Heinz Field this weekend.  

There needs to be tighter control over what he and players say and do especially prior to big games and punishment for offenses. The AFC CG was likely lost last year before it was played by the AB video. Likely would have been lost this year had Steelers made it by Tomlin's SB comments and Mitchell's Hell or Haiti comment. The Steelers despite having better players don't seem able to out scheme the cheats so it makes sense not to give them more incentive.

Going to the Pro Bowl has come to be the brunt of jokes. If you are going you aren't going to the SB..it's become an insult between fans to wish their players a good game in the PB. Tomlin did no favors for himself saying how excited he was going just 2 days after a loss that is on the level of Tim Tebow.

All this being said, in the end, when things cool down for me I will support Tomlin like I always have. I do think he is a good coach but he has room for improvement...but don't we all? Ed Bouchette wrote an article saying that Tomlin has 2nd most wins all time for a coach's first 11 years behind (by one win) Don Shula. Overall he is doing something....a lot of things right. It's easy to be critical of the guy in charge after a loss of this magnitude.

I think Ben saying he wants to play 'at least 3 more years' works well for Tomlin to continue so Ben isn't starting over with someone new. When Payton Manning was in his last few years he had enough physical skills, plus a ton of smarts, to become really elite. He was beating brady consistently. Manning retired and brady moved to that level. brady is maybe year or 2 from hitting the age wall, at that point I think Ben ascends to that top veteran and we get another couple SBs from him. Remember, brady went about 10 years in between SB wins. The last time the Jags beat the Steelers in the playoffs we won the SB the following year. Maybe we are due next year.

This has been a miserable couple days in Pittsburgh sports. Gerrit Cole and McCutchen traded, Josh Harrison requesting trade(there must be something with the name Harrison this year), and Steelers lose to the Jags. I plan to focus on the Penguins for a while. It's been a good year everyone albeit not the ending we wanted. We are Steelers fans. we will continue on and get through this, and, more importantly the Steelers will be back because they are the Steelers. It's been a pleasure discussing the season with all you guys. It's nice to find a laid back place like this where everyone gets along. Many thanks, and a beer of your choice, going out to the guys who created, organize, and run this everyday.  Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change 230572241
Back to top Go down
Steeler-in-west

Steeler-in-west

PostSubject: Re: Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change   Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change EmptyWed Jan 17, 2018 12:16 am

The game mismanaging and unpreparedness and miscues need to stop?

How long has Tomlin been head coach?

I doubt the miscues stop as long as Tomlin is HC. He is who he is. If he’s still HC next season and I assume he will be, just have to expect more mismanagement, playing down to the competition and bad in game decisions. I just hope our defense has improved enough and the Offensive talent is still high, to cover for the upcoming coaching staff blunders next season. Maybe, just maybe we hire a new solid DC and Tomlin let’s him do his job.

Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change   Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change EmptyWed Jan 17, 2018 5:08 am

I understand it's a big risk to fire Tomlin, but I'm fed up with all the distractions and Tomlin is a big part of that. So for me it's 50-50. They don't need to fire him, but I want them to look out for a replacement and if they think they've found someone who can do a better job they shouldn't hesitate to hire him imo. Yesterday Ben said on his radio show (a weekly distraction Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change 1664291743 ) that it's Tomlin's decision not to go for quarterback sneaks anymore.

Quote:

Speaking on 93.7 The Fan in Pittsburgh on Tuesday, Roethlisberger said the team's long-running aversion to running sneaks is coach Mike Tomlin's decision and that he doesn't even "have the freedom to check to a quarterback sneak because we don't have that call if we're not in the huddle."

"I truly have never said I don't want to run it," Roethlisberger said, who added that Tomlin laughs when he lobbies to run a QB draw at the goal line. "I have asked for it. I am fine with it. If they want to call it, I'm all for it."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000907258/article/ben-roethlisberger-im-not-free-to-check-to-qb-sneak
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change   Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change EmptyWed Jan 17, 2018 9:58 am

Here are the 5 simplified bullet points why Tomlin has lost any good graces with me:
  • Playing down to the competition.
  • Turning pedestrian, journeyman QBs into Pro Bowlers.
  • Can't put a team away.
  • Seemingly settling for playing 30 minutes of football a week.
  • There almost seems to be an arrogance, where the other team should just lay down and lose cause they are playing the Steelers.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change   Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change EmptyWed Jan 17, 2018 4:40 pm

Tomlin took over after Cowher was accused of mailing it in during his last season. He's kept the Steelers relevant almost every year. There are several things I think he could do better, but he's a damn fine coach. If the Steelers dump him, another team will hire a damn fine coach. Art Rooney II, Kevin Colbert, Tomlin and the rest of the staff need to go back to the drawing board and find a way to get two steps better, because they took one step back this year. Reload and refine, which means now I have to look at all those college guys to incorrectly guess who they should take in the draft. Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change 2829330259
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change   Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change EmptyWed Jan 17, 2018 5:21 pm

the Steelers defense really missed Shazier and his speed in the middle of the defense. without his speed they didn't have a spy for Bortles when the played man which they played well because no one was open.

you take a pro bowler like Shazier out of your defense it is going to hurt he did much even when the TV cameras were not on him.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change   Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change Empty

Back to top Go down

Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next