Steelers Xtreme Forum

Home2018 NFL free agents. Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

2018 NFL free agents.

Go down 
+3
solardave
IowaSteeler927
effyou515
7 posters
AuthorMessage
effyou515

effyou515

2018 NFL free agents. Empty
PostSubject: 2018 NFL free agents.   2018 NFL free agents. EmptyWed Feb 14, 2018 1:33 pm

https://www.si.com/nfl-free-agents-rankings-by-position-2018

Sports Illustrated guide / list of all the 2018 NFL free agents.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: 2018 NFL free agents.   2018 NFL free agents. EmptyThu Feb 15, 2018 2:02 am

Interesting. Nobody really jumps out to me. The Steelers never seem to make the big splashes in free agency. I don't see them bucking that trend. Malcolm Butler is the only guy that really intrigues me, but I think they are going to let Burns/Sutton fight it out for the starting CB job. I think they might bring in one or two cheaper FAs to fill voids, and they'll address most of our needs through the draft.

I don't think our cap situation is the best right now either, and that definitely limits our options in free agency.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: 2018 NFL free agents.   2018 NFL free agents. EmptyThu Feb 15, 2018 6:46 am

2018 NFL free agents. 2893009358 2018 NFL free agents. 1401235891 I don't see anyone we would go after.
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: 2018 NFL free agents.   2018 NFL free agents. EmptyThu Feb 15, 2018 8:01 am

Here's a few I'd be interested in taking an intense look at:
RB: Isaiah Crowell: He's been decent in Cleveland at times, and who knows what he could do with a better O-line in front of him:
RB: Rex Burkhead: He's explosive and has shown he's an asset out of the backfield
WR: John Brown: I know this is a pipe dream, but he's shown brilliance in Arizona with a QB who was never the same since his time in Cincinnati.
TE: Tyler Eifert: Depending on how things go with McDonald in the off season Eifert has been a reliable force in Cincinnati and I can only imagine he'd be better in an offense who boasts the best QB in the AFC North.
DL: Dontari Poe: Not that I've followed his career, but I certainly have seen enough games to know his motor keeps going. He certainly could elevate his game in our defense.
CB: Trumain Johnson: any upgrade to our secondary is a welcome change
CB: Malcolm Butler: he's got a beef to settle with the Patriots******, and what a better way to settle it than doing it in the Black and Gold!

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION 2018 NFL free agents. 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: 2018 NFL free agents.   2018 NFL free agents. EmptyFri Feb 16, 2018 1:35 am

Dontari Poe would be alright with me if he isn't too expensive. We need some depth on that D-Line and we need to be better against the run. Not sure how Poe has stacked up against the run though.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: 2018 NFL free agents.   2018 NFL free agents. EmptySun Feb 18, 2018 8:20 am

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
Dontari Poe would be alright with me if he isn't too expensive. We need some depth on that D-Line and we need to be better against the run. Not sure how Poe has stacked up against the run though.

I pulled up his career stats and even though he's not a sack machine he does plug the middle and stop the run well. He's 27,6'3",250+. I think he'd be a good fit. Also he is durable.
We would be his 3rd team so maybe he'd come cheap.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: 2018 NFL free agents.   2018 NFL free agents. EmptySun Feb 18, 2018 2:47 pm

Poe is exactly what we need at NT he commands being double teamed just like Hampton used to. He is a run stuffer which is really what a NT should be. If you look at his play style and Hamptons they are very similar. Steelers D has not been the same since Hampton retired. A 3-4 D needs a big beast at NT that has to be double teamed. I like Hargrove but he isn’t the answer at NT. Poe would make a big impact for our D.
Back to top Go down
Crash

Crash

PostSubject: Re: 2018 NFL free agents.   2018 NFL free agents. EmptySun Feb 18, 2018 4:14 pm

Poe, Crowell, Butler. In that order for me.

If we want a TE? Use Terrell Pryor as an H-Back and have him running past linebackers and safeties all year.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: 2018 NFL free agents.   2018 NFL free agents. EmptySun Feb 18, 2018 5:11 pm

Crash wrote:
Poe, Crowell, Butler.  In that order for me.  

If we want a TE? Use Terrell Pryor as an H-Back and have him running past linebackers and safeties all year.  

Terrell Pryor a running QB with passing abilities in college who worked his booty off the become a NFL WR imo would be a good fit in Fitchner's offense as a H-back in a passing offense set.

I also like Poe, Crowell, and Butler all three stop gap free agents that are better then the URFAs on the Steelers team.

Steelers running a 3-4 / 4-3 defense imo you can't use 3-4 LBs in a 4-3 defense imo time to dump the 3-4 and start drafting players who can play OLBs for a 4-3 defense. imo the college game being more spread offenses it should be easier to find players in mid rounds to play the OLB in a 4-3 then OLB in a 3-4. 2 # 1 draft picks Jones, Dupree. I'm still crazy enough to try out Dupree as a 2 down ILB in a 4-3 defense.

also imo keep Joe Haden around he is that smart cagy player who could move to Safety.

Last edited by effyou515 on Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: 2018 NFL free agents.   2018 NFL free agents. EmptySun Feb 18, 2018 5:23 pm

effyou515 wrote:
Crash wrote:

Terrell Pryor a running QB with passing abilities in college who worked his booty off the become a NFL WR imo would be a good fit in Fitchner's offense as a H-back in a passing offense set.

I also like Poe, Crowell, and Butler all three stop gap free agents that are better then the URFAs on the Steelers team.

Steelers running a 3-4 / 4-3 defense imo you can't use 3-4 LBs in a 4-3 defense imo time to dump the 3-4 and start drafting players who can play OLBs for a 4-3 defense. imo the college game being more spread offenses it should be easier to find players in mid rounds to play the OLB in a 4-3 then OLB in a 3-4. 2 # 1 draft picks Jones, Dupree. I'm still crazy enough to try out Dupree as a 2 down ILB in a 4-3 defense.

also imo keep Joe Haden around he is that cagy player who could move to Safety.

We're about -6mil against the cap and you guys are going shopping. Out of all these players mentioned I think Poe would be the smart money. Not so we can change to a 4-3 defense either. We have to get better at playing the run and I think he can stop the run and draw the double team.
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: 2018 NFL free agents.   2018 NFL free agents. EmptySun Feb 18, 2018 6:25 pm

solardave wrote:
effyou515 wrote:
Crash wrote:

We're about -6mil against the cap and you guys are going shopping. Out of all these players mentioned I think Poe would be the smart money. Not so we can change to a 4-3 defense either. We have to get better at playing the run and I think he can stop the run and draw the double team.

Colbert gave an end of year interview last week. He was pretty clear about it: if they sign Bell, there is no money to spend on anyone else. They are doing some restructuring to clear a bit of space, but they are strapped.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: 2018 NFL free agents.   2018 NFL free agents. EmptySun Feb 18, 2018 6:55 pm

jak341 wrote:
solardave wrote:
effyou515 wrote:
Crash wrote:

Colbert gave an end of year interview last week. He was pretty clear about it: if they sign Bell, there is no money to spend on anyone else. They are doing some restructuring to clear a bit of space, but they are strapped.

That's what I'm saying. We're not signing any FAs this year.
Back to top Go down
Crash

Crash

PostSubject: Re: 2018 NFL free agents.   2018 NFL free agents. EmptySun Feb 18, 2018 7:13 pm

If they tag Bell they are strapped. If they extend Bell with multi-years they can add others IMO.

The tag is a 1 year hard hit.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: 2018 NFL free agents.   2018 NFL free agents. EmptySun Feb 18, 2018 7:29 pm

solardave wrote:
effyou515 wrote:
Crash wrote:

not going shopping, one of the reasons not to tie up money on Bell, let a couple of vets. go redo some contracts, and let URFAs go and puff salary cap money.

Steelers not going 4-3? then then why Tomlin taking over the defensive calls? Steelers running a 3-4 / 4-3 defense? Tomlin and Colbert looking at players and how they fit in future Steelers defense.

I loved the Steelers 1990's / 2000's 3-4 defense they were a wall that stopped the run and blitzburg the passing game they were so good they changed NFL offenses. to beat those great defense why keep ganging your running game against that wall why not throw the ball over that wall.

History the 3-4 invented in college to stop wishbone and option offenses but keep the more athletic players on the offense, college footballs wide hash marks. the 4-3 defense was invented in the NFL to help stop the short over the middle passes, the NFL moved the hash marks closer together to open the outside passing game.

Chuck Noll had it right when he built his defense on one side OLBer the Steelers had Andy Russell run support / blitzer on the other side he drafted Jack Ham who would support the run defense but was better in the pass defense which let the secondary play 2 deep zone or man under. can't forget Lambert who could support the run but could get back in the middle and help the  2 zone / man under defense. the only soft spot with this defense was stopping the run. Chuck Noll 4-3 defense was the opposite from Bill Cowhers 3-4 defense.

I know free agents players chasing the money and drafting college defensive players into the NFL is the 3-4 or the 4-3 defense the way to invest in the defense to run?
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: 2018 NFL free agents.   2018 NFL free agents. EmptyMon Feb 19, 2018 5:07 am

effyou515 wrote:
solardave wrote:
effyou515 wrote:
Crash wrote:

not going shopping, one of the reasons not to tie up money on Bell, let a couple of vets. go redo some contracts, and let URFAs go and puff salary cap money.

Steelers not going 4-3? then then why Tomlin taking over the defensive calls? Steelers running a 3-4 / 4-3 defense? Tomlin and Colbert looking at players and how they fit in future Steelers defense.

I loved the Steelers 1990's / 2000's 3-4 defense they were a wall that stopped the run and blitzburg the passing game they were so good they changed NFL offenses. to beat those great defense why keep ganging your running game against that wall why not throw the ball over that wall.

History the 3-4 invented in college to stop wishbone and option offenses but keep the more athletic players on the offense, college footballs wide hash marks. the 4-3 defense was invented in the NFL to help stop the short over the middle passes, the NFL moved the hash marks closer together to open the outside passing game.

Chuck Noll had it right when he built his defense on one side OLBer the Steelers had Andy Russell run support / blitzer on the other side he drafted Jack Ham who would support the run defense but was better in the pass defense which let the secondary play 2 deep zone or man under. can't forget Lambert who could support the run but could get back in the middle and help the  2 zone / man under defense. the only soft spot with this defense was stopping the run. Chuck Noll 4-3 defense was the opposite from Bill Cowhers 3-4 defense.

I know free agents players chasing the money and drafting college defensive players into the NFL is the 3-4 or the 4-3 defense the way to invest in the defense to run?

I'm not against the 4-3 defense. Maybe the reason they haven't looked for a true NT is proof we're going to be lining up more in 4-3. What I am saying is I don't think we have the depth yet. Personally I don't care what the alignment is as long as we can stop the run on our way to the QB. Here is one article: http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/is-there-an-answer-to-the-3-4-vs-4-3-debate/

If I read this right they're saying it really comes down to personnel.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: 2018 NFL free agents.   2018 NFL free agents. EmptyTue Feb 20, 2018 11:25 am

solardave wrote:
effyou515 wrote:
solardave wrote:
effyou515 wrote:
Crash wrote:

I'm not against the 4-3 defense. Maybe the reason they haven't looked for a true NT is proof we're going to be lining up more in 4-3. What I am saying is I don't think we have the depth yet. Personally I don't care what the alignment is as long as we can stop the run on our way to the QB. Here is one article: http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/is-there-an-answer-to-the-3-4-vs-4-3-debate/

If I read this right they're saying it really comes down to personnel.

it is always about personnel, right now imo the Steelers defense doesn't have the right personnel to run a dominant 3-4 or a 4-3 defense.

I think the d-line has the depth not the LBs. if the Steelers could stock up smaller faster lose hips change of direction pass defending OLBs would be the ticket.

a nother crazy throught of mine take 6'7" 357lbs. Daniel McCullers not a 3-4 NT use him as a 4-3 DT bulldozer he is bigger then most OGs and OCs paired the athletic DTs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2018 NFL free agents.   2018 NFL free agents. Empty

Back to top Go down

2018 NFL free agents.
Page 1 of 1