Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeReplacements? Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Replacements?

Go down 
+6
SteelerFreak58
Mach1
solardave
Great Randino
Wallace108
HarvardAvenue
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
HarvardAvenue
Xtreme Newb
HarvardAvenue

Replacements? Empty
PostSubject: Replacements?   Replacements? EmptyTue Sep 24, 2019 10:48 am

If by chance at the end of this season Art Rooney II decides to fire Mike Tomlin and his staff, WHO would you want to see as the new head coach and OC and DC?

My picks would be:

Head coach: Mike McCarthy
OC: Chan Gailey
DC: Anyone other than Keith Butler

Your picks?

@HarvAronson
Back to top Go down
http://www.harvard-avenue.com
Wallace108

Wallace108

Replacements? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacements?   Replacements? EmptyTue Sep 24, 2019 1:09 pm

The Steelers don't have a history of going after big-name coaches. Cowher and Tomlin were relatively unknown. But that was under Dan. All we can do is guess about Art's hiring process.

Off the top of my head, I can point to 3 things Art has done that Dan wouldn't have ... firing Arians the way he did, offering Bell a sizeable contract after sitting out, and trading a first-round pick.

As I've talked about before, the Steelers Way no longer exists. Art isn't Dan. He runs the team differently. So when it comes time to hire the next coach, past tendencies are useless in trying to figure out what Art will do. This is new territory for us.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Great Randino

Replacements? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacements?   Replacements? EmptyTue Sep 24, 2019 1:20 pm

Not that I necessarily think Tomlin will be fired, but if he is no longer the coach after this year...

Lincoln Riley.
Back to top Go down
HarvardAvenue
Xtreme Newb
HarvardAvenue

Replacements? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacements?   Replacements? EmptyTue Sep 24, 2019 1:26 pm

"As I've talked about before, the Steelers Way no longer exists. Art isn't Dan. He runs the team differently. So when it comes time to hire the next coach, past tendencies are useless in trying to figure out what Art will do. This is new territory for us."

DEFINITELY! The old Steelers pride is long gone. Leadership on the field is a thing of the past. No one is taking control on either side of the ball. We need an enforcer again. Where is Greg Lloyd when you need him?
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

Replacements? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacements?   Replacements? EmptyTue Sep 24, 2019 1:40 pm

Joe Greene= HC
Jack Lambert=DC
Lynn Swann=OC

You want leadership. There you go. Replacements? 1647293567
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

Replacements? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacements?   Replacements? EmptyTue Sep 24, 2019 1:48 pm

solardave wrote:
Joe Greene= HC
Jack Lambert=DC
Lynn Swann=OC

\\I love those guys but I don't see any of them as head coaches or coordinators.
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

Replacements? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacements?   Replacements? EmptyTue Sep 24, 2019 1:50 pm

Myself, I'm looking for the next Sean McVey.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

Replacements? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacements?   Replacements? EmptyTue Sep 24, 2019 2:37 pm

nine vegetable wrote:
solardave wrote:
Joe Greene= HC
Jack Lambert=DC
Lynn Swann=OC

\\I love those guys but I don't see any of them as head coaches or coordinators.

We can dream though right? Replacements? 3798349058
Back to top Go down
Mach1
Quest For Seven
Mach1

Replacements? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacements?   Replacements? EmptyTue Sep 24, 2019 4:38 pm

nine vegetable wrote:
solardave wrote:
Joe Greene= HC
Jack Lambert=DC
Lynn Swann=OC

I doubt the pussified players of today could handle that much leadership. Replacements? 1797695198

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

Replacements? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacements?   Replacements? EmptyTue Sep 24, 2019 4:44 pm

[quote="nine vegetable"]Myself, I'm looking for the next Sean McVey.[/quote

Someone from Andy Reid's tree.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

Replacements? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacements?   Replacements? EmptyTue Sep 24, 2019 8:46 pm

Said it in another thread...

TOMLIN isn't going anywhere no matter how ugly this seasons record ends up being. Fitchner might get axed, Butler might be Tomlins scapegoat for the D and get axed but Mike Tomlin will be the HC for a few more years. Get accustomed to that cold hard fact because it is not going to change.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

Replacements? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacements?   Replacements? EmptyWed Sep 25, 2019 12:11 am

Mach1 wrote:
nine vegetable wrote:
solardave wrote:
Joe Greene= HC
Jack Lambert=DC
Lynn Swann=OC

I doubt the pussified players of today could handle that much leadership. Replacements? 1797695198

They'd have to convert the weight room into a safe space. Replacements? 2432665661

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
Shalieve5090

Shalieve5090

Replacements? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacements?   Replacements? EmptyWed Sep 25, 2019 12:15 am

I'd like McDaniels as head coach I think he has what it takes to succeed and hes learned from one of the best in Belichick. Coordinators I'm not really sure
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

Replacements? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacements?   Replacements? EmptyWed Sep 25, 2019 12:28 am

Shalieve5090 wrote:
I'd like McDaniels as head coach I think he has what it takes to succeed and hes learned from one of the best in Belichick. Coordinators I'm not really sure

Based on his experience in Denver and what he did to the Colts, he wouldn't be on my list. Plus, considering how long Belichick has coached and how much success he has had, he doesn't have a very strong coaching tree.

Back to top Go down
Great Randino

Replacements? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacements?   Replacements? EmptyWed Sep 25, 2019 1:42 am

I'm not a big fan of coaching trees - only really smart, capable coaches. Hence, McVey. Riley. Guys like that.

As for the Greene/Lambert/Swann option - tell me again what kind of a coach Mike Singletary was?

Right.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

Replacements? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacements?   Replacements? EmptyWed Sep 25, 2019 2:30 am

nine vegetable wrote:
I'm not a big fan of coaching trees - only really smart, capable coaches.  Hence, McVey.  Riley.  Guys like that.

As for the Greene/Lambert/Swann option - tell me again what kind of a coach Mike Singletary was?

Right.

If you're not a fan of coaching trees, then let's look at McDaniels' record as a head coach. His last 22 games with the Broncos, they went 5-17. He later got hired by the Colts and then screwed them over. A lot of coaches have looked like geniuses under Belichick ... Eric Mangini, Romeo Crennel, Charlie Weis ... but failed miserably as head coaches. Just like McDaniels did in Denver.

The most notable coach that came from Belichick's staff is Nick Saban. But before taking over at Alabama, he went 15-17 as the Dolphins' coach. Being a successful coach in college doesn't mean you can be a successful coach in the NFL. Ask Steve Spurrier.

As for Greene, Lambert and Swann as coaches, I'm fairly certain Dave wasn't serious.

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

Replacements? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacements?   Replacements? EmptyWed Sep 25, 2019 4:31 am

Wallace108 wrote:
nine vegetable wrote:
I'm not a big fan of coaching trees - only really smart, capable coaches.  Hence, McVey.  Riley.  Guys like that.

Right.

If you're not a fan of coaching trees, then let's look at McDaniels' record as a head coach. His last 22 games with the Broncos, they went 5-17. He later got hired by the Colts and then screwed them over. A lot of coaches have looked like geniuses under Belichick ... Eric Mangini, Romeo Crennel, Charlie Weis ... but failed miserably as head coaches. Just like McDaniels did in Denver.

The most notable coach that came from Belichick's staff is Nick Saban. But before taking over at Alabama, he went 15-17 as the Dolphins' coach. Being a successful coach in college doesn't mean you can be a successful coach in the NFL. Ask Steve Spurrier.

As for Greene, Lambert and Swann as coaches, I'm fairly certain Dave wasn't serious.

I wasn't. Pure fantasy looking back at the days when NFL players were tough guys. I understand being a tough player doesn't mean you can coach. There's a reason there are few Belichick clones. McDaniels tried cheating as a HC but got caught. Maybe the others don't have the stomach for getting their hands dirty or maybe they know they won't have the Kraft/Goodell connection that comes with the "nothing to see here" perks.
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

Replacements? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacements?   Replacements? EmptyWed Sep 25, 2019 7:30 am

I think the coordinators need to go before Tomlin. I haven't been super impressed with the play calling. I think we need to be more aggressive on both sides of the ball.

IowaSteeler927

Replacements? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacements?   Replacements? EmptyWed Sep 25, 2019 7:47 am

Mach1 wrote:
nine vegetable wrote:
solardave wrote:
Joe Greene= HC
Jack Lambert=DC
Lynn Swann=OC

I second that notion. Some of the guys like Heyward that are throwbacks to the days of old would fit right in, but some of these younger guys wouldn't like that kind of old school approach especially when they've been used to be being coddled by "Player's Coach" Tomlin.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
solardave

solardave

Replacements? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacements?   Replacements? EmptyWed Sep 25, 2019 8:27 am

SteelersYak wrote:
I think the coordinators need to go before Tomlin. I haven't been super impressed with the play calling.  I think we need to be more aggressive on both sides of the ball.

Good point. However how do we know Tomlin isn't calling of the defense's plays? If he is shouldn't he go too?
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

Replacements? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacements?   Replacements? EmptyWed Sep 25, 2019 8:36 am

solardave wrote:
SteelersYak wrote:
I think the coordinators need to go before Tomlin. I haven't been super impressed with the play calling.  I think we need to be more aggressive on both sides of the ball.

Good point. However how do we know Tomlin isn't calling of the defense's plays? If he is shouldn't he go too?

Honestly after this season, unless Tomlin and his staff pull off a miracle and make the playoffs, then I'm ready to see some changes. I mean this has been going on for too long. We've been absolutely owned by the Patriots*, we play down to inferior talent and competition, we find ways to lose games we should win, every year it seems like our defense has "communication" issues. This has been going on for a long time now. It's not acceptable. How many times do we open seasons, and games looking completely and utterly unprepared? How many times are we very obviously outcoached?

This team has had way too much talent on it's roster over the past few seasons to be underperforming to the level that they have. I've been a Tomlin defender in the past, but I'm getting to a point where I'm ready for someone else to come run the show. I'm tired of watching Tomlin and Butler standing on the sidelines with that deer-in-the-headlights look on their faces. We look like a damned laughing stock right now, not the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Unless this season gets turned around, then there should definitely be some major changes to this organization. Just my honest opinion, I still love Coach T and appreciate everything he has done for this team. He's a high character individual and a great coach, but sometimes it's just time to move on. He'd have another job in a heartbeat anyways.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
HarvardAvenue
Xtreme Newb
HarvardAvenue

Replacements? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacements?   Replacements? EmptyWed Sep 25, 2019 8:49 am

Tomlin is and always has been a “player’s coach.” Cowher was much the same. The initial word on Tomlin was how smart he was a a defensive guru. He’s been nowhere close to that. Like it was said above, nice guy, passionate, but lacks the “football smarts” we desperately need.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

Replacements? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacements?   Replacements? EmptyWed Sep 25, 2019 9:24 am

And.... stuck with him for a couple more years folks get used to The SUBSTANDARD being the SUBSTANDARD...

Cause he ain't going no where...
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

Replacements? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacements?   Replacements? EmptyWed Sep 25, 2019 12:53 pm

SteelerFreak58 wrote:
And.... stuck with him for a couple more years folks get used to The SUBSTANDARD being the SUBSTANDARD...

Cause he ain't going no where...

It's been pointed out several times on here that this is not Dan's Steelers anymore. We've seen Art do things that never happened before. I can see him flat out firing Tomlin if this team stays on the skids. If you're right I'll be the first to congratulate you but I don't think you are.
Back to top Go down
Mach1
Quest For Seven
Mach1

Replacements? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacements?   Replacements? EmptyWed Sep 25, 2019 1:38 pm

solardave wrote:
SteelersYak wrote:

It's already been established that Tomlin is calling plays on D. Can't get rid of his scapegoat.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Replacements? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacements?   Replacements? Empty

Back to top Go down

Replacements?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next