Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers trade for Justin Fields - Page 3 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers trade for Justin Fields

Go down 
+4
SteelerFreak58
Master_Of_Puppets
Shalieve5090
Great Randino
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

Steelers trade for Justin Fields - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Justin Fields   Steelers trade for Justin Fields - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 01, 2024 3:41 am

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
IowaSteeler927 wrote:
Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
i dont understand how a QB who has a 67.2% and a 70.2% completion percentage in college, develops an accuracy issue in the NFL. then on the flip side, josh allen had accuracy issues in college, yet no one says he has accuracy issues now.
what do QB coaches get paid for ?

I think in the case of Fields it comes down to the fact he was playing college ball on a team that generally has a ridiculously talented roster. He gets to face a lot of teams that aren't on the same level talent-wise and gets to pad his stats in those games. He had elite receivers and guys running wide open all the time partially due to their sheer level of talent but also because of the system they ran offensively. When it comes to his play in Chicago he never really had a very good O-Line and his receivers were OK but not great overall.

In regards to Allen he had a stellar junior year as I recall
and then lost his top receivers which made him look worse his senior season. It's a big reason I wasn't buying what his detractors were saying leading up to that draft because I had seen the kid play a high level and knew what he was capable of with the right weapons around him.

Shocked ...dude you been smokin way to much corn husk.  josh allen earned his reputation for being inaccurate. his 2nd year stats are as hideous as his 3rd year...
2016 - 56% compltion percentage ...28 tds... 15 INT's
2017 - 56.3%................................16 tds.....6 ints.

he played 3 more games his 2nd year so he obviously had more attempts and yards, but his accuracy issues remained consistent.
i was one of allens detractors and laughed at you Steelers trade for Justin Fields - Page 3 4130395391  for pimping him. Steelers trade for Justin Fields - Page 3 1505004552 ...all i can say is his QB coach performed a miracle or allen sold his soul to the devil. one or the other.. Steelers trade for Justin Fields - Page 3 2087824411
allen suffered from the same problem a lot of Big arm qbs suffer from. they think every pass needs to be a laser fast ball and have way more confidence in their arm than they do respect for DB's.
2 more big armed sub 60% completion collegiate QB's drafted in the first round simply because of arm strength were jay cutler and kyle boller. No they both continued to struggle with accuracy in the NFL.

Eh I can't really argue with that I guess. That being said, I think he showed a lot of flashes that demonstrated his ability to make NFL caliber throws. One throw that really stood out to me was during his last season he played against my Hawks. He threw a deep ball into the back of the endzone, an absolute dime. The defender played the ball perfectly and it still wasn't enough because the throw was that good. It fell right into the receiver's breadbasket right against the back line of the endzone. That was when the lights really went on for me regarding Allen's talent. Way I saw it, he showed that he could make those elite kinds of throws, he just needed to be a team that wasn't as mediocre as Wyoming.

Funny thing is... just now I went back and watched some highlights and I couldn't find that throw and it looks like we won 24-3 so I must be thinking of a different game that I watched him play or perhaps he made that throw and the receiver never got in bounds, can't see it on the highlights.

.... or it's the corn husks. Steelers trade for Justin Fields - Page 3 1797695198

solardave likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Justin Fields   Steelers trade for Justin Fields - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 03, 2024 5:04 am

The bottom line for me is that I think under Smith JF can be a pretty good if not really good QB.
What I'd like to see is sub packages that show what he can do so they can decide whether they sign him long term or shed him. It's a pretty good situation for both sides.
We had a good draft last year and this latest class looks pretty promising. In addition the FA pickups/trades were damn savvy I think.
Maybe this is the year they actually live up to our expectations instead of causing us to call for Tomlins head. Steelers trade for Justin Fields - Page 3 184121345
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Justin Fields   Steelers trade for Justin Fields - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 03, 2024 1:44 pm

The most important acquisition in the off-season may well be Arthur Smith. Time will tell - but he appears to be a really good fit for what the Steelers have always wanted their identity to be.

I also am not as worried about the WR situation as some. I think we may see MUTH line up in the slot, and certainly the TE group will get more action. In addition - the rookie WR out of Michigan is really good. AND - someone, possibly, hopefully Calvin Austin III - will emerge. If not him, one of the others.

I am really looking forward to this upcoming season. Really like the moves they made. Really LOVE the draft class coming in. And I agree with SolarDave about Justin F. I like the kid a lot. I'm also a Buckeye fan and he was a really good QB and a great kid.

solardave and IowaSteeler927 like this post

Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Justin Fields   Steelers trade for Justin Fields - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 03, 2024 8:45 pm

to be honest , i predicted fields would be a bust before he was drafted. so far, statistically he has been a bust. the only thing he has going for him so far is his running ability and "flashes" , that he has the potential to be a good NFL qb. i mean the vast majority of QB's aren't a mystery after 3 full seasons of starting. they either have "it" or they dont. as a passer alone he don't. what separates the good QB's from the rest is consistency. thus far fields has been anything but consistent.most QB's are what you see, is what you get by year 4.
here's where i am with the addition of fields.
he was no risk no reward sign.
his skill set can add diversity to the offense this season.
there was nothing to lose by signing him
he has the potential to be better than what we had.
i'm a very pessimistic person, so when something exceeds my low expectations , it is a pleasant surprise.

solardave and IowaSteeler927 like this post

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Justin Fields   Steelers trade for Justin Fields - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 14, 2024 6:59 am

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
to be honest , i predicted fields would be a bust before he was drafted. so far, statistically he has been a bust. the only thing he has going for him so far is his running ability and "flashes" , that he has the potential to be a good NFL qb. i mean the vast majority of QB's aren't a mystery after 3 full seasons of starting. they either have "it" or they dont. as a passer alone he don't. what separates the good QB's from the rest is consistency. thus far fields has been anything but consistent.most QB's are what you see, is what you get by year 4.
i'm a very pessimistic person, so when something exceeds my low expectations , it is a pleasant surprise.

I hope smith can bring out the best in him and that his best exceeds your expectations. I think Wilson is gone in 2025 because even though he'll be wanting a SB ring I think he'll also want a big fat paycheck.
If fields is not the heir apparent maybe he is good enough until the next #1 comes along.

Great Randino likes this post

Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Justin Fields   Steelers trade for Justin Fields - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 16, 2024 6:23 am

solardave wrote:
Master_Of_Puppets wrote:

I hope smith can bring out the best in him and that his best exceeds your expectations. I think Wilson is gone in 2025 because even though he'll be wanting a SB ring I think he'll also want a big fat paycheck.
If fields is not the heir apparent maybe he is good enough until the next #1 comes along.
i'll just leave this here... Steelers trade for Justin Fields - Page 3 1841364231
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Justin Fields   Steelers trade for Justin Fields - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelers trade for Justin Fields
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3