Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeConcerts thread Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Concerts thread

Go down 
+12
skipJennings
solardave
Bays
La Flama Blanca
SteelCityMom
SteelersYak
Buddha Bus
Wallace108
OC-Eviltwin
supytalpeht
vasteeler
JonM229
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
JonM229

JonM229

Concerts thread Empty
PostSubject: Concerts thread   Concerts thread EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 10:50 am

I'm just going to start cursing when my original thread title doesn't meet the 10 character minimum.

Anyway, this thread is for discussing any past, present, or future concerts you have/will attend.

My two favorite concerts were Iggy Pop at a small club in 2001 and later The Heartless Bastards in Chicago last year.

Other concerts I've been to: Rolling Stones, Robert Plant, The Who, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, Lucinda Williams, Barenaked Ladies (it was a long time ago), Conor Oberst, !!! (pronounced chk chk chk), Death Cab for Cutie, My Morning Jacket

In December I'll be seeing Wilco in Milwaukee with Nick Lowe opening for them.  I'll then be seeing Neutral Milk Hotel in February.

Worst concert: I saw The Heartless Bastards open a show in Orlando for Gaslight Anthem.  I stayed to see if they were any good and left after the third song.

"Ray Rice is special.  He is a guy for all situations, as I have said before, even in an elevator." -Mike Tomlin
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/jonmilles
vasteeler

vasteeler

Concerts thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concerts thread   Concerts thread EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 9:54 am

best show (most talent) .....ravi shankar
best time..........................pink flloyd
most entertaining...............kiss
worst show........................ICP
show i want to see...............tool

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
supytalpeht

Concerts thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concerts thread   Concerts thread EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 1:08 pm

That Neutral Milk Hotel show should be great. Nick Lowe is opening for Wilco?

Don't know if I have a best show. Some of the early Jane's shows were epic:Art, Sex, and R&R. Radiohead,SPiritualized, Built to Spill,GD,Morphine&16 HOrsepower...

Worst show ever is a tie between Van Morrison and Muse. VM just wasn't into at all and it showed in his performance. Muse solely because it was the shortest show I've ever seen, literally 5-10 minutes. They were playing a small venue in Atlanta and someone crashed into the mic stand which smacked the singer in the lip splitting it all the way to his nose. He was pouring blood and was subsequently rushed to the ER for stitches.
Back to top Go down
JonM229

JonM229

Concerts thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concerts thread   Concerts thread EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 1:58 pm

supytalpeht wrote:
Nick Lowe is opening for Wilco?

Yup, which is pretty much the only thing that can make a Wilco show any better.

I'm luckily on a mailing list for the main venues in Milwaukee so I'm in the loop for shows, which is good since Wilco sold out in minutes. Wilco also only allows tickets to be picked up via Will Call so people can't scalp them for higher prices.

I was surprised when I saw the Neutral Milk Hotel announcement since Jeff Mangum is notoriously reclusive.

"Ray Rice is special.  He is a guy for all situations, as I have said before, even in an elevator." -Mike Tomlin
Back to top Go down
supytalpeht

Concerts thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concerts thread   Concerts thread EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 4:11 pm

JonM229 wrote:
supytalpeht wrote:
Nick Lowe is opening for Wilco?

Yup, which is pretty much the only thing that can make a Wilco show any better.

I'm luckily on a mailing list for the main venues in Milwaukee so I'm in the loop for shows, which is good since Wilco sold out in minutes. Wilco also only allows tickets to be picked up via Will Call so people can't scalp them for higher prices.

I was surprised when I saw the Neutral Milk Hotel announcement since Jeff Mangum is notoriously reclusive.

I love some of the music that's come out of ELephant 6, Olivia Tremor Control, Macha, ELf Power, The WHigs. Altrhough, now that I think about it The Whigs aren't part of E6.
Back to top Go down
JonM229

JonM229

Concerts thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concerts thread   Concerts thread EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 4:57 pm

supytalpeht wrote:
Altrhough, now that I think about it The Whigs aren't part of E6.

Way to lose your hipster cred

Back to top Go down
supytalpeht

Concerts thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concerts thread   Concerts thread EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 5:56 pm

JonM229 wrote:
supytalpeht wrote:
Altrhough, now that I think about it The Whigs aren't part of E6.

Way to lose your hipster cred

damn, time to go hang my head in shame
Back to top Go down
OC-Eviltwin
Xtreme Newb
OC-Eviltwin

Concerts thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concerts thread   Concerts thread EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 6:20 pm

I've been to so many shows that I can't even remember all of them. I don't have a single favorite, but I do have a few bands I do like going to see: Clutch, Sick Of It All, Karma To Burn. Saw Rob Zombie last December at the 9:30 Club, one of the best shows I've ever seen. Tool were another band that puts on an amazing show.

Wallace108

Concerts thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concerts thread   Concerts thread EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 6:23 pm

OC-Eviltwin wrote:
Saw Rob Zombie last December at the 9:30 Club, one of the best shows I've ever seen.

I saw Rob Zombie and Alice Cooper last year. Great show.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

Concerts thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concerts thread   Concerts thread EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 5:47 pm

I've got to say Lollapalooza '92. That was the year Red Hot Chili Peppers, Pearl Jam (just hitting it big), Soundgarden, Ministry, Ice Cube, The Jesus and Mary Chain and Lush all headlined. It was a great show top to bottom. The Jim Rose Circus Sideshow was also on the side stage which was awesome.

Lollapalooza '93 was killer too. It featured Primus, Alice in Chains, Dinosaur Jr., Fishbone, Arrested Development, Front 242, Babes in Toyland, Rage Against the Machine and Tool. Tool and RATM were just starting to make some waves and really blew people away.

Other concerts I saw that I loved:

ANY Clutch concert

The Drive-By Truckers

House of Pain, Cypress Hill and Biohazard

ANY Rage Against The Machine show

Iron Maiden, Motorhead and Dio.

Back to top Go down
supytalpeht

Concerts thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concerts thread   Concerts thread EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 5:54 pm

Quote :
ANY Clutch concert

I saw those guys open up for some friends of mine at The Rev in Baltimore city back in the late 80's early 90's.
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

Concerts thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concerts thread   Concerts thread EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 6:02 pm

supytalpeht wrote:
Quote :
ANY Clutch concert

I saw those guys open up for some friends of mine at The Rev in Baltimore city back in the late 80's early 90's.

Best goddamned band on the planet Earth, I tells ya! Concerts thread 3262125054 :slayer:

Back to top Go down
OC-Eviltwin
Xtreme Newb
OC-Eviltwin

Concerts thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concerts thread   Concerts thread EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 8:12 pm

Another one of my favs was Misfits/Sick Of It All/H2O at Bohagers somewhere around '97.

JonM229

Concerts thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concerts thread   Concerts thread EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 11:49 am

Looks like the Heartless Bastards will be in Milwaukee the day after Neutral Milk Hotel. I'm so there.

Back to top Go down
supytalpeht

Concerts thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concerts thread   Concerts thread EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 12:08 pm

Just noticed Jeff Mangum has a show a few blocks from my house in Feb and it's already sold out.
Back to top Go down
JonM229

JonM229

Concerts thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concerts thread   Concerts thread EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 2:25 pm

supytalpeht wrote:
Just noticed Jeff Mangum has a show a few blocks from my house in Feb and it's already sold out.

Stub Hub that shit

Back to top Go down
supytalpeht

Concerts thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concerts thread   Concerts thread EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 2:58 pm

JonM229 wrote:
supytalpeht wrote:

Stub Hub that shit

None available at the moment. I've been let into that venue on several occasions with the donation of $20 or so to the nice ticket taking lady.
Back to top Go down
JonM229

JonM229

Concerts thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concerts thread   Concerts thread EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 3:47 pm

You may be out of luck with this concert. His show in Milwaukee is reserved seating.

Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

Concerts thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concerts thread   Concerts thread EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 4:48 pm

Concerts I have been to: Third Eye Blind, Keith Urban (twice), and Lady Gaga Concerts thread 1505004552

Buddha Bus

Concerts thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concerts thread   Concerts thread EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 5:00 pm

BGSU A Dub wrote:
Concerts I have been to: Third Eye Blind, Keith Urban (twice), and Lady Gaga Concerts thread 1505004552

More like....

Concerts thread TripleFacePalm

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

Concerts thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concerts thread   Concerts thread EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 6:07 pm

My buddy scored us two tickets to see Guns N' Roses and Black Label Society tonight. I'll be there, he'll be there ... now let's see if Axl will be there. Concerts thread 3798349058

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

Concerts thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concerts thread   Concerts thread EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 6:21 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
I'll be there, he'll be there ... now let's see if Axl will be there. Concerts thread 3798349058

I'll spare you the suspense....

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

Concerts thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concerts thread   Concerts thread EmptyFri Dec 09, 2011 1:32 am

The Guns N' Roses concert last night was outstanding. In fact, it might have been TOO good. After four songs, I was blown away by how good Axl's voice sounded. I saw them in the 90s on the Use Your Illusion tour, and Axl sucked. He didn't have a very good live voice. A singer's voice tends to get worse with age, not better. But hey, there's always exceptions to every rule. Concerts thread 2087824411

But then on the sixth or seventh song (I can't remember which one it was), I saw something that made me almost fall out of my seat. We were up close, so I had a great view. Axl brought the mic up and mouthed something, but there was no sound. He quickly pulled the mic away. Then a split second later he brought the mic back up and started singing. I said to my buddy, "Hey, did you see that?" He didn't. I said, "Axl is lip synching." He thought I was full of shit and said there was no way he was lip synching. All I know is that I saw what I saw.

When I got home, I did a quick Google search and found this:
Quote :

Axl Rose Accused of Lip Synching

Guns N' Roses are facing a backlash after a recent concert in Townsville, Queensland, Australia.

First the band reportedly took the stage 2 hours late and Rock AAA reports that the led them to break their performance curfew and they wound up setting off fireworks at midnight on a weekday, angering near by residents.

But now Axl Rose faces accusations of lip-synching during the performance. Rock AAA report that a New Zealand TV report from 3 news shows that while the lead vocals on Welcome to the Jungle are coming through the PA, Rose doesn't always have his mic to his face. (Source)

Click Here to watch the video of Axl Rose allegedly lip-synching.

That doesn't prove that I was right. And I'm not saying I'm right. But I saw what I saw.

Back to top Go down
SteelCityMom

SteelCityMom

Concerts thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concerts thread   Concerts thread EmptyFri Dec 09, 2011 1:53 am

Crap...I dunno. Best concerts I've ever seen would have to be (from a completely biased opinion) Singine, DJ Jon, Wiz Khalifa and the crew and Acumen Nation at our old club Prana. So many good shows and good times there...even if it was stressful.

Outside of that, some of my favorites were Primus (before Les pissed me the hell off), RATM, Phish (yeah, I said it...I was messed up and had TONS of fun!), Klutch, Mindless Self Indulgence, GWAR, KISS and for sure, The Who's Next (Who cover band). They rocked hard.

Many more...those are my favorites though. Haven't had much of a chance to get to concerts lately, and I'm not sure I want to go to them any more. I've always been a bit anti-social, and getting older just makes it worse. I don't have much of an urge to stand in a crowd of sweaty people any more. Or maybe I'm just not able to ingest the amount of alcohol and drugs needed to stand in a crowd of people any more. Who knows? Concerts thread 1797695198

supytalpeht

Concerts thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concerts thread   Concerts thread EmptyFri Dec 09, 2011 8:32 am

Wallace108 wrote:
The Guns N' Roses concert last night was outstanding. In fact, it might have been TOO good. After four songs, I was blown away by how good Axl's voice sounded. I saw them in the 90s on the Use Your Illusion tour, and Axl sucked. He didn't have a very good live voice. A singer's voice tends to get worse with age, not better. But hey, there's always exceptions to every rule. Concerts thread 2087824411

But then on the sixth or seventh song (I can't remember which one it was), I saw something that made me almost fall out of my seat. We were up close, so I had a great view. Axl brought the mic up and mouthed something, but there was no sound. He quickly pulled the mic away. Then a split second later he brought the mic back up and started singing. I said to my buddy, "Hey, did you see that?" He didn't. I said, "Axl is lip synching." He thought I was full of shit and said there was no way he was lip synching. All I know is that I saw what I saw.

When I got home, I did a quick Google search and found this:

That doesn't prove that I was right. And I'm not saying I'm right. But I saw what I saw.

More than like you are right as it happens far more often than you think. Lip syncing, additional guitarists or keyboardists hidden away back stage the list goes on and on. A buddy of mine was working a Sabbath show a few years back and he swears as an eye witness that they had a guitarist and a vocalist filling in for ozzy and iommi. I've personally witnessed keyboard players backstage and the sound guy accompanying the lead singer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Concerts thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concerts thread   Concerts thread Empty

Back to top Go down

Concerts thread
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next