Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeConcerts thread - Page 2 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Concerts thread

Go down 
+12
skipJennings
solardave
Bays
La Flama Blanca
SteelCityMom
SteelersYak
Buddha Bus
Wallace108
OC-Eviltwin
supytalpeht
vasteeler
JonM229
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Concerts thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concerts thread   Concerts thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 09, 2011 10:09 am

supytalpeht wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:
The Guns N' Roses concert last night was outstanding. In fact, it might have been TOO good. After four songs, I was blown away by how good Axl's voice sounded. I saw them in the 90s on the Use Your Illusion tour, and Axl sucked. He didn't have a very good live voice. A singer's voice tends to get worse with age, not better. But hey, there's always exceptions to every rule. Concerts thread - Page 2 2087824411

But then on the sixth or seventh song (I can't remember which one it was), I saw something that made me almost fall out of my seat. We were up close, so I had a great view. Axl brought the mic up and mouthed something, but there was no sound. He quickly pulled the mic away. Then a split second later he brought the mic back up and started singing. I said to my buddy, "Hey, did you see that?" He didn't. I said, "Axl is lip synching." He thought I was full of shit and said there was no way he was lip synching. All I know is that I saw what I saw.

When I got home, I did a quick Google search and found this:

That doesn't prove that I was right. And I'm not saying I'm right. But I saw what I saw.

More than like you are right as it happens far more often than you think. Lip syncing, additional guitarists or keyboardists hidden away back stage the list goes on and on. A buddy of mine was working a Sabbath show a few years back and he swears as an eye witness that they had a guitarist and a vocalist filling in for ozzy and iommi. I've personally witnessed keyboard players backstage and the sound guy accompanying the lead singer.
I wasn't aware that that kind of stuff went on with rock shows. I feel like a kid who just found out there's no Santa. Shocked

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Concerts thread   Concerts thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 09, 2011 10:15 am

Wallace108 wrote:
supytalpeht wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:
The Guns N' Roses concert last night was outstanding. In fact, it might have been TOO good. After four songs, I was blown away by how good Axl's voice sounded. I saw them in the 90s on the Use Your Illusion tour, and Axl sucked. He didn't have a very good live voice. A singer's voice tends to get worse with age, not better. But hey, there's always exceptions to every rule. Concerts thread - Page 2 2087824411

But then on the sixth or seventh song (I can't remember which one it was), I saw something that made me almost fall out of my seat. We were up close, so I had a great view. Axl brought the mic up and mouthed something, but there was no sound. He quickly pulled the mic away. Then a split second later he brought the mic back up and started singing. I said to my buddy, "Hey, did you see that?" He didn't. I said, "Axl is lip synching." He thought I was full of shit and said there was no way he was lip synching. All I know is that I saw what I saw.

That doesn't prove that I was right. And I'm not saying I'm right. But I saw what I saw.

More than like you are right as it happens far more often than you think. Lip syncing, additional guitarists or keyboardists hidden away back stage the list goes on and on. A buddy of mine was working a Sabbath show a few years back and he swears as an eye witness that they had a guitarist and a vocalist filling in for ozzy and iommi. I've personally witnessed keyboard players backstage and the sound guy accompanying the lead singer.
I wasn't aware that that kind of stuff went on with rock shows. I feel like a kid who just found out there's no Santa. Shocked

Great. Now I'm going to grow up having all kinds of trust issues with Supy. Concerts thread - Page 2 3798349058

Back to top Go down
supytalpeht

PostSubject: Re: Concerts thread   Concerts thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 09, 2011 10:28 am

Buddha Bus wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:
supytalpeht wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:

Great. Now I'm going to grow up having all kinds of trust issues with Supy. Concerts thread - Page 2 3798349058

Stay away from the big money octogenarian tours and it's far less likely to happen. Before their vocal chords have gotten tired and their brains have turned to mush from partying for 30 years and you should be okay.
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Concerts thread   Concerts thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 09, 2011 10:32 am

supytalpeht wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:
supytalpeht wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:

Stay away from the big money octogenarian tours and it's far less likely to happen. Before their vocal chords have gotten tired and their brains have turned to mush from partying for 30 years and you should be okay.

No worries there. I can't keep up with those young whippersnappers anyway. Concerts thread - Page 2 1797695198

Besides, those punks won't stay off my damn lawn! Concerts thread - Page 2 2625562446

Back to top Go down
JonM229

JonM229

PostSubject: Re: Concerts thread   Concerts thread - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 8:31 am

Nick Lowe + an acoustic guitar = magic

Wilco sure knows how to put on an amazing show.

The only thing that would've made the night incredible would be if for the 2nd encore, Nick Lowe joined Wilco onstage to play "Cruel to be Kind"

Oh wait, that totally fucking happened

"Ray Rice is special.  He is a guy for all situations, as I have said before, even in an elevator." -Mike Tomlin
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/jonmilles
La Flama Blanca
Xtreme Newb
La Flama Blanca

PostSubject: Re: Concerts thread   Concerts thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 6:05 pm

Best concert - "94" Anchorage, Ak / Metallica (no opener)

Another good one - Godsmack & Black Sabbath Hershey, Pa

If I could go back in time I would love to see The Eagles or The Allman Bros.

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Concerts thread   Concerts thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 6:10 pm

La Flama Blanca wrote:
Best concert - "94" Anchorage, Ak / Metallica (no opener)

Another good one - Godsmack & Black Sabbath Hershey, Pa

If I could go back in time I would love to see The Eagles or The Allman Bros.
I would love to have seen the Eagles back in the day. And Zeppelin.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
supytalpeht

PostSubject: Re: Concerts thread   Concerts thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 6:26 pm

JonM229 wrote:
Nick Lowe + an acoustic guitar = magic

Wilco sure knows how to put on an amazing show.

The only thing that would've made the night incredible would be if for the 2nd encore, Nick Lowe joined Wilco onstage to play "Cruel to be Kind"

Oh wait, that totally fucking happened

I missed this update, very cool.

Have you checked dimeadozen.org for a boot?
Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Concerts thread   Concerts thread - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 6:21 am

The title led me to believe that you we're pissed off at concerts Concerts thread - Page 2 1797695198

First Concert: Three Dog Night
Best Concert: Blues Traveler
Most Recent Concert: Rock on the range '10

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Concerts thread   Concerts thread - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 2:43 pm

Saw Leon Russell do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0grEMQEXiw

Saw Frampton do this:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYGp5shqLZg

Roy Buchanon:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMcjPZgK9GM (who by the way should be considered one of the best ever guitarists IMHO)

Alvin Lee:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=780s7oZvl0M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcYyE6qen8s

Blackfoot:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMclpOK7a2w

Ron Wood with Rod Stewart:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPV0sa_sGaY

And the Stones:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuGjBNSRi1c&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL0491BA0DC16E6102

I've seen Heart, ELO, J.Geils Band, Steve Miller Band, Alvin Bishop and Roy Buchanon all in one weekend. That was one of the best concerts I've ever seen but even that didn't beat Alvin Lee.
Back to top Go down
JonM229

JonM229

PostSubject: Re: Concerts thread   Concerts thread - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 10:12 am

Here's a recap of my past week:

Wednesday night: Jeff Mangum of Neutral Milk Hotel at the Pabst Theater - Milwaukee

I'll call this one hipster heaven, because the theater was full of them. The opener was a trio of Andrew Rieger and Laura Carter from Elf Power and Scott Spillane from the Gerbils (you've probably never heard of them) who were very impressive. My wife is actually a fan of Elf Power and was excited for this. The main show was just Jeff Mangum with an acousting guitar with an occassional horn or cello accompaniment. The show was reserved seating, but after a few people were shooed away from the front of the stage during the third song, Jeff Mangum said he doesn't give a shit and said whoever wanted to come up front could. We were already close so we just stayed where we were. The most impressive thing about the show was just how captivated everyone was by the music. My wife said it was the best show she's been to and I'd definitely have it in my top 3.

Thursday night: The Heartless Bastards at Turner Hall Ballroom - Milwaukee

First show I've been to where I've been standing right in front of the stage. The opening band was Hacienda who I'll definitely be listening to more of. This was my fourth time seeing the Heartless Bastards and they've never failed to disappoint. I'll see them every time they're in the Milwaukee-Chicago area. They just started their latest tour, so I'd highly recommend seeing if they'll be in your area.

"Ray Rice is special.  He is a guy for all situations, as I have said before, even in an elevator." -Mike Tomlin
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Concerts thread   Concerts thread - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 10:39 am

I went to see Anthrax, Testament, and Death Angel Tuesday night at Ram's Head Live in Baltimore. Anthrax was one of my favorite bands in high school and this was my first time seeing them live. The only thing that sucked was Charlie Benante (drummer) and Frankie Bello (bassist) were absent due to the death of Charlie's mother who was also Frankie's grandmother and Charlie's nephew. It was quite a bummer and my heart goes out to Charlie, Frankie and their families.

The drummer for Testament filled in for Charlie and the bassist for Armored Saint filled in for Frankie. They did a solid job considering they had to learn the songs quickly. Anthrax kicked ass and ran through a set of most of their new album "Worship Music" as well as classics like "Among the Living", "Antisocial", "Got The Time", "Medusa", "Deathrider", "Caught In A Mosh", "Metal Thrashing Mad", "Madhouse", and "I Am The Law". They didn't disappoint this fan.

Testament was a sweet surprise. I had one of their albums back in high school and liked them OK, but never really got heavily into them. That is going to change after I saw them live. They blew the doors off the place and Chuck Billy prowled the stage with purpose playing air guitar and growling and screaming while having a total blast all the way. He was smiling all the time and throwing guitar picks and drumsticks into the crowd through the whole set which was really cool. The energy and tightness of the band was amazing and they also seemed to be the loudest of the night. I'll definitely be purchasing some of their stuff soon.

Death Angel was another band I had an album of back in high school called "The Ultra-Violence" and it was a killer album. They were a Bay Area thrash band with members of Hispanic descent and they could thrash with the best of them. I think only 2 or 3 original members were left of the 5, but they were very energetic and got the crowd warmed up nicely for the other two bands. Their drummer is from a band I used to love called Cutthroats 9 (a three-piece with 2 members of Unsane) that my friends and I used to go see live. He's an incredible drummer and a nice addition to this band. I'll have to purchase some of DA'a new stuff as well.

All in all a great show, but it reminded me why my old ass doesn't go to stand-up concerts much anymore as I was hurting afterwards. My feet and back were in agony! Concerts thread - Page 2 3798349058

Back to top Go down
JonM229

JonM229

PostSubject: Re: Concerts thread   Concerts thread - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 11:19 am

Buddha Bus wrote:
All in all a great show, but it reminded me why my old ass doesn't go to stand-up concerts much anymore as I was hurting afterwards. My feet and back were in agony! Concerts thread - Page 2 3798349058

The wife and I have decided that we're only doing general admission for bands we just have to see.

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Concerts thread   Concerts thread - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 4:26 pm

JonM229 wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:

The wife and I have decided that we're only doing general admission for bands we just have to see.

That's kind of where I'm at now. I'm too fucking old to withstand 4 straight hours of standing on concrete floors. I rarely go to shows anymore for that reason unless it's a band I really want to see badly. This was one of those exceptions, but I paid the price, brother. Concerts thread - Page 2 1797695198

Back to top Go down
skipJennings
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Concerts thread   Concerts thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 7:53 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
Death Angel was another band I had an album of back in high school called "The Ultra-Violence" and it was a killer album. They were a Bay Area thrash band with members of Hispanic descent and they could thrash with the best of them. I think only 2 or 3 original members were left of the 5, but they were very energetic and got the crowd warmed up nicely for the other two bands. Their drummer is from a band I used to love called Cutthroats 9 (a three-piece with 2 members of Unsane) that my friends and I used to go see live. He's an incredible drummer and a nice addition to this band. I'll have to purchase some of DA'a new stuff as well.

Damn, I remember Death Angel. I had "The Ultra-Violence" on cassette when I was a kid. I remember listening to it a lot on my walkman on the school bus. There was a long instrumental track on there (I think the title track) that really rocked. I'm sure if I heard it now it would remind me of riding the big yellow limousine to school. They also did a cover of "Cold Gin", I think, that got some play on Headbanger's Ball.

Wow, I had forgotten about them. Thanks for the memories. I can't believe how fast the years go by.
Back to top Go down
skipJennings
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Concerts thread   Concerts thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 8:12 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
JonM229 wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:

That's kind of where I'm at now. I'm too fucking old to withstand 4 straight hours of standing on concrete floors. I rarely go to shows anymore for that reason unless it's a band I really want to see badly. This was one of those exceptions, but I paid the price, brother. Concerts thread - Page 2 1797695198

That's really funny. I reckon we're roughly the same age then. I don't go to shows at all anymore. The last show I saw I think was Super Furry Animals, and that was about 12 years ago. There were lots of young folks all around, which was nice to see, but it made me feel a bit old and out of place.

In the spirit of this thread:

First show: Love And Rockets with The Pixies opening. That was in '89. I went for Love And Rockets and hadn't heard of The Pixies before that night. Both bands were awesome.

Loudest show: Probably 24-7 Spyz (opening for Jane's Addiction).

Favorite show: Too many to remember, but probably Ween. They played for hours and it blew my mind.
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Concerts thread   Concerts thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 9:12 pm

skipJennings wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:
JonM229 wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:

That's really funny. I reckon we're roughly the same age then. I don't go to shows at all anymore. The last show I saw I think was Super Furry Animals, and that was about 12 years ago. There were lots of young folks all around, which was nice to see, but it made me feel a bit old and out of place.

In the spirit of this thread:

First show: Love And Rockets with The Pixies opening. That was in '89. I went for Love And Rockets and hadn't heard of The Pixies before that night. Both bands were awesome.

Loudest show: Probably 24-7 Spyz (opening for Jane's Addiction).

Favorite show: Too many to remember, but probably Ween. They played for hours and it blew my mind.

I'm 40 years old. Gettin' way too old for that shit these days. Concerts thread - Page 2 1797695198

I just can't take the standing anymore. I have plantar fasciitis and I can barely walk after several hours of standing like that. I wish I could still handle it. I love going to see bands play live. It's one of my favorite pastimes.

Back to top Go down
skipJennings
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Concerts thread   Concerts thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 9:14 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
I'm 40 years old. Gettin' way too old for that shit these days. Concerts thread - Page 2 1797695198

I just can't take the standing anymore. I have plantar fasciitis and I can barely walk after several hours of standing like that. I wish I could still handle it. I love going to see bands play live. It's one of my favorite pastimes.

I've heard about plantar fasciitis. It sounds really miserable. I heard it's hard to even turn your ankles. Well done for tolerating the pain for the sake of a show, but take it easy, mate. Maybe one of the virtues of being a long-time fan of a band is as they get older they start playing at venues with seats.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Concerts thread   Concerts thread - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 7:48 am

My buddy called last night and asked what I was doing Friday. I told him I was off work and planned on getting some stuff done around the house. He said screw that ... he's got tickets and we're going to see Van Halen in the 'Burgh. Concerts thread - Page 2 1372836603

I saw them with Sammy, and now I get to see them with DLR. That's awesome.

Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Concerts thread   Concerts thread - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 03, 2012 6:49 am

I got 2 favorites and both were at old Cleveland Municipal Stadium

1979 World Series of Rock

Ted Nugent
Aerosmith
Thin Lizzy
Journey
the Scorpions

tickets were $12.50 and the teeshirt was $5.50

1987 Pink Floyd

from 1978 to 1987 I saw every Rock band toured and the band that opened for them at Richfield Coliseum.

Man I'm getting old both Cleveland Stadium and Richfield Coliseum are gone and have been gone for some time now. Concerts thread - Page 2 1557163439

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Concerts thread   Concerts thread - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 03, 2012 8:13 am

effyou515 wrote:

I got 2 favorites and both were at old Cleveland Municipal Stadium

1979 World Series of Rock

Ted Nugent
Aerosmith
Thin Lizzy
Journey
the Scorpions

tickets were $12.50 and the teeshirt was $5.50

1987 Pink Floyd

from 1978 to 1987 I saw every Rock band toured and the band that opened for them at Richfield Coliseum.

Man I'm getting old both Cleveland Stadium and Richfield Coliseum are gone and have been gone for some time now. Concerts thread - Page 2 1557163439

Now that's 2 shows I'd have loved to have been at. Of course, I was only 8 for the first one. Concerts thread - Page 2 1797695198

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Concerts thread   Concerts thread - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 03, 2012 9:24 am

effyou515 wrote:

I saw quite a few shows in Richfield Coliseum. That was about the only reason you'd wanna go anywhere near Cleveland.

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Concerts thread   Concerts thread - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 12:39 pm

Went to the Uproar Festival in Pittsburgh last night. Unfortunately, I didn't know I was going until the night before and I had to work yesterday. So we didn't get there until about 6:30. So I missed the all-day festival of bands and activities but got to see Staind, Godsmack, and Shinedown. I've seen Shinedown 6 or 7 times, but that was my first time seeing Staind and Godsmack. Both were really good, although neither knows how to work a crowd.

I wish I had known that I was getting tickets. I would love to have spent all day there checking out some of the other bands:

Fozzy
Adelitas Way
P.O.D.
In This Moment
Deuce
Redlight King
Mindset Evolution

Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Concerts thread   Concerts thread - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 1:50 pm

I've seen Staind three times. They can rock an arena. I've also seen P.O.D. and GodSmack from that list.

PostSubject: Re: Concerts thread   Concerts thread - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 15, 2015 9:28 pm

The Stranglers x6
The Smiths
Lindisfarne
James
The Three Johns
Lush
Xmal Deutschland
Jesus and Mary chain
Suiouxsie and the Banshees
Echo and the bunnymen
Motorhead
Courtney Barnett (just a month or two ago)
Maximo park
Bis
The Cure
Very local.....White heat, East side torpedoes, Arthur two stroke and the chart comandoes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Concerts thread   Concerts thread - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Concerts thread
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next