Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeFavorite Albums - Page 2 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Favorite Albums

Go down 
+18
tony hipchest
teegre
Vis
IowaSteeler927
Lokki
harrison'samonster
Bays
skipJennings
BornaSteelersfan
supytalpeht
Farrior_roirraW
SteelersYak
SteelCityMom
vasteeler
mcg24
Wallace108
Buddha Bus
JonM229
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
skipJennings
Xtreme Newb

Favorite Albums - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Albums   Favorite Albums - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 12:19 pm

Yeah, too many to list. But off the top of my head, James McMurtry's Just Us Kids (2008)

Favorite Albums - Page 2 4556915_jmm_200
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Albums   Favorite Albums - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 3:36 pm

skipJennings wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:
The Misfits' album "Earth A.D." was the first album of theirs that I ever owned. I loved everything about the Misfits. The horror themed song titles/lyrics, the awesome goth-monster look complete with devilocks, the attitude, the killer logos and Crimson Ghost "mascot" and most of all, the catchy punk classics.

They evolved from a goth-rock type sound to a straight hardcore punk sound to a more metal/punk hybrid version. "Earth A.D." was the album that I thought steered them toward a more crunchy, metal edged sound that they fully adopted during their reformation (sans Glen Danzig) in the 90s.

The album contained such Misfits classics as "Mommy, Can I Go Out And Kill Tonight", "Die, Die My Darling", "We Bite" and "Green Hell". It also had other blistering tunes like "Devilock", "Earth A.D.", "Wolf's Blood" and "Death Comes Ripping". Great album!

I still have the Earth AD vinyl buried somewhere. I bought that and Legacy of Brutality in 1987 with money saved from mowing lawns. I ordered it straight from Plan 9 Records from an ad in Thrasher Magazine. It took months to get to me. Back then hardcore records were nigh on impossible to find in the record stores where I lived.

Earth AD was always my favorite Misfits recording (along with the Die Die My Darling EP.) I've got all that stuff in my computer now, and in recent years have been listening to it around Halloween time. But music coming from a computer somehow lacks the charm it did coming from my old record player or from a faded old cassette. But it's become a platitude to say that now. It's probably more a yen for my youth than anything else. And I'm sure glad all this music is easier to come by these days.

Earth A.D. is probably my favorite Misfits album too. It was edgy and crunchy with a little more metal flavor added to it. Of course, there isn't a bad Danzig era Misfits album out there. I even like the two albums they did with Michael Graves a lot. Too bad they've become a caricature of themselves since Graves' and Doyle's departure. Jerry should just let the band die and stop making a mockery of it. He's a terrible singer and it just isn't the same without, at least, Doyle in the band. Even then, without a viable singer, it's useless to continue.

It is great that the internets have allowed us access to so much music that was so difficult to find back in the day at record stores. Sometimes I miss that experience though. It was like a musical treasure hunt going to a record store and hoping to find a particular CD/cassette/album and the feeling of excitement when you did find what you were looking for was great. Nowadays, it's shocking to NOT find what you're looking for. It's almost TOO easy. Favorite Albums - Page 2 1797695198

Back to top Go down
skipJennings
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Albums   Favorite Albums - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 8:39 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
Earth A.D. is probably my favorite Misfits album too. It was edgy and crunchy with a little more metal flavor added to it. Of course, there isn't a bad Danzig era Misfits album out there. I even like the two albums they did with Michael Graves a lot. Too bad they've become a caricature of themselves since Graves' and Doyle's departure. Jerry should just let the band die and stop making a mockery of it. He's a terrible singer and it just isn't the same without, at least, Doyle in the band. Even then, without a viable singer, it's useless to continue.

It is great that the internets have allowed us access to so much music that was so difficult to find back in the day at record stores. Sometimes I miss that experience though. It was like a musical treasure hunt going to a record store and hoping to find a particular CD/cassette/album and the feeling of excitement when you did find what you were looking for was great. Nowadays, it's shocking to NOT find what you're looking for. It's almost TOO easy. Favorite Albums - Page 2 1797695198

Ha, yeah I think you nailed it there. Flipping through vinyl was the most exciting because you couldn't just scan the stacks, you had to flip through them individually so you never knew what was coming next.

I haven't even heard any of the post-Danzig Misfits stuff. But back in high school my friend ordered this cassette from a band called Kryst the Conqueror. It was from an ad in a guitar magazine with a photo of Doyle. Apparently it was his new band. We were really disappointed though because it sucked. There were only a few songs on it.

I did like Samhain though. Never really got into Danzig but I liked a few songs I heard.
Back to top Go down
SteelCityMom

SteelCityMom

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Albums   Favorite Albums - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 8:55 pm

Snovonne's new album, "The Nightmare Bride" has quickly become one of my favorite albums. I love a good melodic metal band, and while her voice is not everyone's cup of tea...I absolutely adore it. Been a fan of hers for a couple years now, but this album feels so different from her previous ones. The whole album flows.

Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Albums   Favorite Albums - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 9:35 pm

skipJennings wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:

Ha, yeah I think you nailed it there. Flipping through vinyl was the most exciting because you couldn't just scan the stacks, you had to flip through them individually so you never knew what was coming next.

I haven't even heard any of the post-Danzig Misfits stuff. But back in high school my friend ordered this cassette from a band called Kryst the Conqueror. It was from an ad in a guitar magazine with a photo of Doyle. Apparently it was his new band. We were really disappointed though because it sucked. There were only a few songs on it.

I did like Samhain though. Never really got into Danzig but I liked a few songs I heard.

Yeah, I like Samhain as well. I do like Danzig too, but some of his stuff wasn't that great when he got into his industrial metal phase. The last album of his I got, "Deth Red Sabaoth", is very good though. I also liked Son Of Sam which was Steve Zing and London May from Samhain, Todd Youth from Danzig/Murphy's Law, and Davey Havok from A.F.I.

I hadn't heard Kryst the Conqueror. My friend, who is OC-Eviltwin here, is right beside me now and says they sucked too. Favorite Albums - Page 2 1797695198

Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Albums   Favorite Albums - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 5:02 am

Favorite Albums - Page 2 Alter%20Bridge%20-%20AB%20III%20-%20CD

Favorite Albums - Page 2 41hdnc3bbDL

Two VERY good albums. Loving both bands right now, it's awesome.

1. Alter Bridge's latest release: Alter Bridge lll
2. Creed's newest release: Full Circle

harrison'samonster

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Albums   Favorite Albums - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 22, 2015 7:16 pm

Exile on Mainstreet and Paranoid are very good ones.

I also like

Jackson Browne -- Saturate Before Using
Tom Petty -- Wildflowers
Greatful Dead -- American Beauty
Bob Dylan -- Good As I Been to You
Frank Zappa -- One Size Fits All

Jerkimus Maximus
Lokki

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Albums   Favorite Albums - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 22, 2015 10:04 pm

I have a lot of favorite albums, but this one ranks towards the top. I love every damn song on this album. The meanings behind the songs are good too. Tool puts a lot of thought into their music, it's not just recycled radio garbage.

Favorite Albums - Page 2 Tool_-_Lateralus
Back to top Go down
vasteeler

vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Albums   Favorite Albums - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 23, 2015 6:56 am

Lokki wrote:
I have a lot of favorite albums, but this one ranks towards the top.  I love every damn song on this album.  The meanings behind the songs are good too.  Tool puts a lot of thought into their music, it's not just recycled radio garbage.

Favorite Albums - Page 2 Tool_-_Lateralus

best band ever!!!!

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Albums   Favorite Albums - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 23, 2015 8:13 am

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here & A Momentary Lapse of Reason

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus
Lokki

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Albums   Favorite Albums - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 23, 2015 9:07 am

vasteeler wrote:

best band ever!!!!

I agree and I can't wait for the new album. I need to see them in concert again. They are so amazing in concert.

Favorite Albums - Page 2 You-complete-me
Back to top Go down
Vis

Vis

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Albums   Favorite Albums - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 23, 2015 11:05 am

Favorite Albums - Page 2 Rush_2112

Favorite Albums - Page 2 JethroTullAqualungalbumcover

Favorite Albums - Page 2 61qTE9kINgL._SX300_

Favorite Albums - Page 2 R.E.M._-_Lifes_Rich_Pageant

teegre

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Albums   Favorite Albums - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 23, 2015 11:18 am

There are two albums which I have purchased multiple times: record, tape, CD, and now digital.

The Beatles White Album
Michael Jackson Thriller

I will alway own a copy of those two albums.
Back to top Go down
teegre

teegre

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Albums   Favorite Albums - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 23, 2015 11:22 am

That said, my favorite album is:

Beastie Boys Paul's Boutique

I can & have listened to that album on a loop for an entire day.

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Albums   Favorite Albums - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 23, 2015 11:25 am

teegre wrote:
There are two albums which I have purchased multiple times: record, tape, CD, and now digital.  

The Beatles White Album  
Michael Jackson Thriller  

I will alway own a copy of those two albums.  

What? No 8-track? Slacker. No

Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Albums   Favorite Albums - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 23, 2015 12:01 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
The Misfits' album "Earth A.D." was the first album of theirs that I ever owned. I loved everything about the Misfits. The horror themed song titles/lyrics, the awesome goth-monster look complete with devilocks, the attitude, the killer logos and Crimson Ghost "mascot" and most of all, the catchy punk classics.

They evolved from a goth-rock type sound to a straight hardcore punk sound to a more metal/punk hybrid version. "Earth A.D." was the album that I thought steered them toward a more crunchy, metal edged sound that they fully adopted during their reformation (sans Glen Danzig) in the 90s.

The album contained such Misfits classics as "Mommy, Can I Go Out And Kill Tonight", "Die, Die My Darling", "We Bite" and "Green Hell". It also had other blistering tunes like "Devilock", "Earth A.D.", "Wolf's Blood" and "Death Comes Ripping". Great album!

Favorite Albums - Page 2 Earth-ad

This.

Although I could probably easilly say Legacy of Brutality or the original Danzig was my favorite of all time. Maybe even Samhain- Novembers Coming Fire. Favorite Albums - Page 2 2087824411

I probably like Earth AD the best, because I consider it the 1st thrash metal album. As for thrash its hard to ignore the Slayer albums and Metallica (one of the greatest bands ever) but these two were always my favorites-

a classical masterpiece.

no matter how old they are, or how old i get, they get better each time i hear them.

the 1st album from Death is right behind them, and would be in my top 10.

as for classic rock one of my favorite bands and albums of all time would have to be the Beatles. Probably St Peppers Lonely Heart Club Band, or Magical Mystery Tour. But since I cant decide, I can easilly say that Pink Floyd's The Wall is one of the best movies and albums ever made. Wish You were Hear and Dark Side of the Moon are great and right up there.

However Jethro Tull is probably my favorite and i own more of their albums than any other band-

Strangely enough, with all i have listed, i can easilly say that this is atleast my 2nd favorite album/CD of all time-

Close to make the cut (for favorite rap albums) were NWA Straight outta Compton or NAS Illmatic, but this Wu Tang album spawned an entire collection/catalog of follow up albums that keep getting better with time. Nothing will ever be better than Method Man's tical. I consider it the production and lyrical masterpeice of the genre.

. .
Back to top Go down
Vis

Vis

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Albums   Favorite Albums - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 23, 2015 3:38 pm

Favorite Albums - Page 2 Rhythm_Of_The_Saints

This in another favorite.  I just added it to iTunes

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Albums   Favorite Albums - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 23, 2015 5:14 pm

tony hipchest wrote:

Buddha Bus wrote:

Favorite Albums - Page 2 Earth-ad

This.

Although I could probably easilly say Legacy of Brutality or the original Danzig was my favorite of all time.  Maybe even Samhain- Novembers Coming Fire. Favorite Albums - Page 2 2087824411

I probably like Earth AD the best, because I consider it the 1st thrash metal album.  As for thrash its hard to ignore the Slayer albums and Metallica (one of the greatest bands ever) but these two were always my favorites-

a classical masterpiece.

no matter how old they are, or how old i get, they get better each time i hear them.

the 1st album from Death is right behind them, and would be in my top 10.

as for classic rock one of my favorite bands and albums of all time would have to be the Beatles.  Probably St Peppers Lonely Heart Club Band, or Magical Mystery Tour.  But since I cant decide, I can easilly say that Pink Floyd's The Wall is one of the best movies and albums ever made.  Wish You were Hear and Dark Side of the Moon are great and right up there.

However Jethro Tull is probably my favorite and i own more of their albums than any other band-

Strangely enough, with all i have listed, i can easilly say that this is atleast my 2nd favorite album/CD of all time-

Close to make the cut (for favorite rap albums) were NWA Straight outta Compton or NAS Illmatic, but this Wu Tang album spawned an entire collection/catalog of follow up albums that keep getting better with time.  Nothing will ever be better than Method Man's tical.  I consider it the production and lyrical masterpeice of the genre.

Right on, Tony! The Misfits Earth A.D. album was probably my favorite too. It was where they unleashed their inner-metalheads and really shredded it. Prior to that, they were definitely more punk/goth feeling. In any event, you can't really go wrong with any Misfits album, even the Michael Graves years IMHO. I don't really consider the current lineup (if there even still is one) with Only on vocals (blecch!), Dez Cadena, and Marky Ramone to truly even be the Misfits. Only has fucked that band up royally with his dickishness and greed. It's high time the original REAL Misfits reunite with Danzig on vocals, Only on bass, Doyle on guitar, and Robo on drums. That is the TRUE Misfits! Alas, I don't believe we'll see it in our lifetime though. Favorite Albums - Page 2 3201610882

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Albums   Favorite Albums - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 23, 2015 5:38 pm

My current favorite album is by and far "Yellow & Green" by Baroness. This band kicks so much ass it's beyond my mortal comprehension. They are heavy but also melodic and ethereal. As I stated in the Most Underrated Bands thread, they are what I would envision Pink Floyd being if they became a metal band. I saw them live once about 1-1/2 years ago and they blew me away.

My favorite tracks from the album are: "Take My Bones Away", "March To The Sea", "Cocanium", "Sea Lungs", "Eula", "Board Up The House", "Foolsong", "Stretchmarker", and "The Line Between". Just a pure masterpiece of music exploring and experimenting between heaviness and moody atmospherics.

The lead singer, John Dyer Baizley, also does all of their album cover artwork as well as artwork for other bands. As you can see below, he is no slouch at that either as his artwork is beautifully detailed and complex like his music.

Favorite Albums - Page 2 Yellow+&+green

Back to top Go down
Bert Gordon
Xtreme Newb
Bert Gordon

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Albums   Favorite Albums - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 23, 2015 5:47 pm

So many to name, but I'll state a recent one:

Yellow Album, Baroness

All credit due to the mighty Buddha Bus for clueing me into it.

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Albums   Favorite Albums - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 23, 2015 6:02 pm

Bert Gordon wrote:
So many to name, but I'll state a recent one:

Yellow Album, Baroness

All credit due to the mighty Buddha Bus for clueing me into it.

Favorite Albums - Page 2 1557163439 Favorite Albums - Page 2 4250924620 Favorite Albums - Page 2 184121345 Favorite Albums - Page 2 3262125054 Favorite Albums - Page 2 230572241 Favorite Albums - Page 2 2421758519

I know who you are now! Favorite Albums - Page 2 755331329

Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Albums   Favorite Albums - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 24, 2015 10:04 am

Buddha Bus wrote:
[Right on, Tony! The Misfits Earth A.D. album was probably my favorite too. It was where they unleashed their inner-metalheads and really shredded it. Prior to that, they were definitely more punk/goth feeling. In any event, you can't really go wrong with any Misfits album, even the Michael Graves years IMHO. I don't really consider the current lineup (if there even still is one) with Only on vocals (blecch!), Dez Cadena, and Marky Ramone to truly even be the Misfits. Only has fucked that band up royally with his dickishness and greed. It's high time the original REAL Misfits reunite with Danzig on vocals, Only on bass, Doyle on guitar, and Robo on drums. That is the TRUE Misfits! Alas, I don't believe we'll see it in our lifetime though. Favorite Albums - Page 2 3201610882

it'll happen sooner than you think. like 7 days ago Favorite Albums - Page 2 1372836603

Quote :
There are Live Audience Sets by DANZIG, a Bloody Samhain and even the In The Round Sit-Down Set with Ex-Misfits Bandmate/Guitarist Doyle, Tommy Victor & Steve Zing that is very similar to the one Elvis did with Scotty Moore & his Memphis Mafia in the ’68 Special. DANZIG & Co. reminisce & perform everything from his old Misfits songs to the song he penned for Johnny Cash ‘Thirteen’. Also includes 2 Studio Performances by DANZIG for his Mega Hit ‘Mother’ & for the 1st Time ever ‘Black Hell’ the Song he wrote for the Hit Movie ‘The Hangover 2’.

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/danziglegacy?gclid=CLK5zqaNj8UCFQkuaQodRkEAmw

Danzig's Legacy special was just released on Vimeo last friday. I havent paid the $10 to watch it yet due to a shitty computer for streaming-

Quote :
All post work on Glenn Danzig's "Danzig Legacy" TV special — which was filmed in May 2012 in Glendale, California with director Mark Brooks (Adult Swim's "Metalocalypse") — is now complete. Brooks and Danzig have finished all editing and post EFX and "it came out epic," according to a posting on Danzig's official Facebook page.

In an April 2013 interview with Full Metal Jackie, Danzig stated about the "Legacy" TV special: "The 'Legacy' TV special was an idea that was brought to me and it was an idea that Mark Brooks had; he does 'Metalocalypse'. It was basically to do like a DANZIG 'Legacy' TV show loosely based on the Elvis [Presley] '68 Comeback special; it revisited a lot of his past and a lot of stuff. So we did that with the "Legacy" TV show, which is almost done now. It was performance pieces that I do, then there's the band playing live, we do [songs from] DANZIG, SAMHAIN. Then for the MISFITS thing, we did what Elvis did when he sat down with Scotty Moore and the Memphis Mafia and we just did them all right there live, sitting and everyone's around us; there's no backstage, we're just on a little podium in from of everybody. And so we did a bunch of MISFITS songs and Steve [Zing] was just playing on a cylinder or something; it was pretty cool. We were doing the 'Legacy' shows anyway around that same time period, so we just thought we'd put it on film while everybody was there."

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/danzig-legacy-tv-special-completed/

. .
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Albums   Favorite Albums - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 24, 2015 10:13 am

tony hipchest wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:
[Right on, Tony! The Misfits Earth A.D. album was probably my favorite too. It was where they unleashed their inner-metalheads and really shredded it. Prior to that, they were definitely more punk/goth feeling. In any event, you can't really go wrong with any Misfits album, even the Michael Graves years IMHO. I don't really consider the current lineup (if there even still is one) with Only on vocals (blecch!), Dez Cadena, and Marky Ramone to truly even be the Misfits. Only has fucked that band up royally with his dickishness and greed. It's high time the original REAL Misfits reunite with Danzig on vocals, Only on bass, Doyle on guitar, and Robo on drums. That is the TRUE Misfits! Alas, I don't believe we'll see it in our lifetime though. Favorite Albums - Page 2 3201610882

it'll happen sooner than you think.  like 7 days ago  Favorite Albums - Page 2 1372836603

Quote :
There are Live Audience Sets by DANZIG, a Bloody Samhain and even the In The Round Sit-Down Set with Ex-Misfits Bandmate/Guitarist Doyle, Tommy Victor & Steve Zing that is very similar to the one Elvis did with Scotty Moore & his Memphis Mafia in the ’68 Special. DANZIG & Co. reminisce & perform everything from his old Misfits songs to the song he penned for Johnny Cash ‘Thirteen’. Also includes 2 Studio Performances by DANZIG for his Mega Hit ‘Mother’ & for the 1st Time ever ‘Black Hell’ the Song he wrote for the Hit Movie ‘The Hangover 2’.

Yeah, but it isn't really the Misfits without Danzig, Doyle, AND Only minimally. I can deal with any drummer like Dr. Chud, Steve Zing (even though not really in the Misfits, but a great drummer with Samhain), or Robo to round it out. The other 3 have to be there to be a TRUE Misfits reunion.

I know Danzig has been touring and doing things with Doyle for awhile now after Doyle and Jerry had their falling out. I just wish these knuckleheads could just get it together and give the fans what they've wanted for over 30 years now.

Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Albums   Favorite Albums - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 24, 2015 10:25 am

its like that old joke...

what will it take for a Beatles reuinion? another 3 bullets.

. .
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Albums   Favorite Albums - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 24, 2015 10:27 am

tony hipchest wrote:
its like that old joke...

what will it take for a Beatles reuinion?  another 3 bullets.

I'm still waiting for the Ramones to come back around. Too soon? Favorite Albums - Page 2 3798349058

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Albums   Favorite Albums - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Favorite Albums
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next