Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeThe Steelers, The Tackle Position, Willie Colon, and His Future Status Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

The Steelers, The Tackle Position, Willie Colon, and His Future Status

Go down 
+2
Buddha Bus
fer69
6 posters
AuthorMessage
fer69

fer69

The Steelers, The Tackle Position, Willie Colon, and His Future Status Empty
PostSubject: The Steelers, The Tackle Position, Willie Colon, and His Future Status   The Steelers, The Tackle Position, Willie Colon, and His Future Status EmptySat May 05, 2012 9:52 pm

May 5th, 2012 at 7:00 am by Dom

I am not going to lie to you readers, the fact that Pittsburgh selected two “top-tier” Offensive Linemen in the first two Rounds of last week’s Draft made me an extremely happy camper. The Steelers’ recent efforts to stockpile and develop young talent along their Offensive Line has illustrated the concerted efforts of a franchise hell-bent on protecting their $100+ million Quarterback as he enters his 30′s. Yet with all of the new and talented faces in town, there is one once-starting member of the Steelers’ Offensive Line whose current status is a bit “up in the air” and multiple questions will likely surround in the coming months: Willie Colon.

Colon’s Career So Far, Injuries, and Growing Uncertainty

2012 will be a season with a lot on the line for Colon.
Willie Colon may have started over 3 plus seasons in a row for the Steelers, and he indeed signed a 5 year $29 million dollar contract before the 2011 season began as well. However, Colon enters the 2012 season as more of a question mark than an answer along an Offensive Line with a core of young, developing, and potentially fantastic talent. And the biggest reason for the uncertainty surrounding Colon has to be his overall health and the reliability of his body to hold up over a 16+ game marathon of a season.

Earlier in his career, Colon was actually a model of stability along the Offensive front for Pittsburgh. From the end of his Rookie season (2006), to the end of 2009, Colon logged 54 out of a possible 54 starts in a row (postseason included), and was the only one of Pittsburgh’s grunts up front to start each and every game during said stretch. In a period where Jeff Hartings retired, Alan Faneca left via Free Agency, Marvel Smith and Kendall Simmons got seriously hurt, then left town, and then retired, Sean Mahan and Justin Hartwig proved inadequate solutions at Center, the Right Tackle spot Colon manned seemed to be the only position which guys were not constantly be shuttled in and out on a consistent basis. Now however, Colon’s reliability is in question because of the injuries which he has sustained over the last two seasons.

Over the 2010 and 2011 seasons, Colon has missed 31 out of a possible 32 regular season games because of the aforementioned injuries. Before the 2010 season began, Colon tore his Achilles and the injury coupled with the subsequent surgery forced him to miss the entire season. Undeterred by Colon’s ailment, the Front Office rewarded Colon with a new contract (5 years $29 million) in 2011, and it appeared all was well, and Colon would take his spot back at Right Tackle. Unfortunately, Colon was injured again, and went down late in Week 1 of the 2011 opener at Baltimore and was lost for a second season in a row.

Pittsburgh’s Coaches, Scouts, and Front Office members were not been blissfully ignorant of Colon’s recent injury history and the amount of time he has missed over the last two seasons. With those things in mind, the Steelers have drafted accordingly over the last two years to cover their bases, and done a pretty good job at that as well. Thus, the Steelers’ recent accumulation of talent at the Tackle position has put Colon somewhat “on notice” as the Steelers begin to prepare for the 2012 season.

The Tackle Pool Is Now Stronger...........

(read more)http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/05/05/the-steelers-recent-acquisitions-willie-colon-and-his-future-status/

F@(k Wallace.. Throw it to Miller
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: The Steelers, The Tackle Position, Willie Colon, and His Future Status   The Steelers, The Tackle Position, Willie Colon, and His Future Status EmptySat May 05, 2012 10:25 pm

I still think we should move him to guard. It would solidify the two guard positions with he and DeCastro. We could try Adams as a starter or settle for Jonathan Scott until he's ready to go.

I just want the best 5 starters on the field at the same time.

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: The Steelers, The Tackle Position, Willie Colon, and His Future Status   The Steelers, The Tackle Position, Willie Colon, and His Future Status EmptyMon May 07, 2012 9:24 am

Buddha Bus wrote:
I still think we should move him to guard. It would solidify the two guard positions with he and DeCastro. We could try Adams as a starter or settle for Jonathan Scott until he's ready to go.

Isn't Adams projected to be a LT?
Back to top Go down
vasteeler

vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: The Steelers, The Tackle Position, Willie Colon, and His Future Status   The Steelers, The Tackle Position, Willie Colon, and His Future Status EmptyMon May 07, 2012 10:14 am

Buddha Bus wrote:

No

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: The Steelers, The Tackle Position, Willie Colon, and His Future Status   The Steelers, The Tackle Position, Willie Colon, and His Future Status EmptyMon May 07, 2012 12:16 pm

solardave wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:

Before the draft, they said they were moving Gilbert to left tackle. Kugler wouldn't answer the question of how drafting Adams affects those plans.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: The Steelers, The Tackle Position, Willie Colon, and His Future Status   The Steelers, The Tackle Position, Willie Colon, and His Future Status EmptyMon May 07, 2012 12:46 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
solardave wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:

Before the draft, they said they were moving Gilbert to left tackle. Kugler wouldn't answer the question of how drafting Adams affects those plans.

I say Kugler will play the better of the two at LT thats what I think.
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: The Steelers, The Tackle Position, Willie Colon, and His Future Status   The Steelers, The Tackle Position, Willie Colon, and His Future Status EmptyMon May 07, 2012 2:20 pm

solardave wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:

Yes, he is. I was talking about moving Colon to guard.

Back to top Go down
fer69

fer69

PostSubject: Re: The Steelers, The Tackle Position, Willie Colon, and His Future Status   The Steelers, The Tackle Position, Willie Colon, and His Future Status EmptyMon May 07, 2012 4:46 pm

I think we should bring back Starks, he could be a hell of a mentor for Adams IMO

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: The Steelers, The Tackle Position, Willie Colon, and His Future Status   The Steelers, The Tackle Position, Willie Colon, and His Future Status EmptyMon May 07, 2012 7:00 pm

fer69 wrote:
I think we should bring back Starks, he could be a hell of a mentor for Adams IMO

I wouldn't mind having Starks back, but his health could be an issue. He may not be fully recovered and/or in shape from his injury. I'd certainly rather have him than J. Scott.

Back to top Go down
fer69

fer69

PostSubject: Re: The Steelers, The Tackle Position, Willie Colon, and His Future Status   The Steelers, The Tackle Position, Willie Colon, and His Future Status EmptyMon May 07, 2012 9:09 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
fer69 wrote:

I wouldn't mind having Starks back, but his health could be an issue. He may not be fully recovered and/or in shape from his injury. I'd certainly rather have him than J. Scott.

i totally forgot about his knee surgery The Steelers, The Tackle Position, Willie Colon, and His Future Status 1505004552

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: The Steelers, The Tackle Position, Willie Colon, and His Future Status   The Steelers, The Tackle Position, Willie Colon, and His Future Status EmptyTue May 08, 2012 4:50 am

fer69 wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:
fer69 wrote:

i totally forgot about his knee surgery The Steelers, The Tackle Position, Willie Colon, and His Future Status 1505004552

Sonofabitch. The Steelers, The Tackle Position, Willie Colon, and His Future Status 294855916

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Steelers, The Tackle Position, Willie Colon, and His Future Status   The Steelers, The Tackle Position, Willie Colon, and His Future Status Empty

Back to top Go down

The Steelers, The Tackle Position, Willie Colon, and His Future Status
Page 1 of 1