Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomePFT Founder Mike Florio's Character Assassination of Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin is Out of Line Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

PFT Founder Mike Florio's Character Assassination of Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin is Out of Line

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
fer69

fer69

PFT Founder Mike Florio's Character Assassination of Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin is Out of Line Empty
PostSubject: PFT Founder Mike Florio's Character Assassination of Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin is Out of Line   PFT Founder Mike Florio's Character Assassination of Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin is Out of Line EmptyWed May 30, 2012 4:53 pm

by Neal Coolong on May 29, 2012 10:00 AM EDT in NFL News

For the most part, I've been fairly critical of the role of Pro Football Talk in the media landscape covering the NFL.

At the same time, I respect the opinions of the site, and its founder, Mike Florio. They're entitled to those opinions, as am I, as are you.

My main contention is the style in which he writes. Sometimes, it seems the presumptions he makes are a bit off-the-mark. And his offensive character assassination of Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin on Monday is the most recent - and probably best - example of his own news creation.

From Sports Illustrated's Peter King, who quipped about Tomlin's recent induction into William & Mary's athletics Hall of Fame:

When the Steelers coach was inducted earlier this month to the Hall of Fame at his alma mater -- Tomlin was a three-year starter at wide receiver at William & Mary in the early '90s -- he gave a rousing speech thanking his family and coaches and teammates for helping him as a player, person and coach. And he said something about why he's coaching in the NFL, and not college football.

"One of the reasons I work in the National Football League -- I'm tired of the NCAA rules,'' he told a crowd in Williamsburg, Va. "I am a win-at-all-costs kind of guy. The NFL is just right for me, although I am not a bounty guy in any form or fashion. Any form or fashion.'' Much applause. "What you've got to understand about the Pittsburgh Steelers is .. I ain't got to offer them anything. Guys like James Harrison -- they'll do it for nothing. The men I work with, I'm a blessed person.

Florio responded, slanting Tomlin's message in a different direction:

The easy message is that Tomlin has renounced paying defensive players to wreak havoc. The more subtle message is that Tomlin wants guys who'll wreak havoc without an extra cash incentive.

Apparently, it's the subtle message that counts, not the obvious one. Tomlin says he does not pay players to injure other players. But Florio is right, he wants guys who will wreak havoc.

I, for one, am glad he does. Defensive players are, by design, supposed to prevent the opponent from advancing down the field. Since this game isn't played in a court room, nor is it played with puppy dogs and flowers, Tomlin's statement of wanting guys like James Harrison, the Defensive Player of the Year in 2008, seems to fit well in his philosophy of having defensive players who can, you know, stop people.

If we want to continue dipping into semantics, we can certainly do that. Does "wreaking havoc" mean "injuring players"? Not at all. It doesn't imply it, either.

It's easy to judge what someone says when they don't say it.

James Harrison is certainly paid plenty of money to play football. Few can argue, contextually, James Harrison's job description does not include hitting an opposing player in a way that, even if done properly, can result in injury. To insert my own assumption, Tomlin is referring to Harrison's passion and love for the game. He's not a thug nor is Tomlin puffing his chest with pride because he feels he doesn't need extra motivation to get his players to want to hurt people. But his players do want to hit offensive players.

How this concept is lost on people is beyond me. It's not a safe game. It's not going to be a safe game. It's an unfortunate drawback, and one in which our own guilt compels us to feel as if we must protect the players from themselves. I admit to succumbing to those feelings and support certain measured changes to help players be at their best, but it's more in the diagnosis of injuries, and prevention of players returning to action before they're ready. The nature of the game cannot be changed.

"I'm tired of the NCAA rules." It's also clear that he's tired of the NFL rules. Every gripe and complaint and piss and moan from Steelers players regarding the league's rules for hitting offensive players naturally traces to the coaching staff - and ultimately to Tomlin.

(read more) http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/5/29/3048731/steelers-coach-mike-tomlin-hall-of-fame-speech-win-at-all-costs

F@(k Wallace.. Throw it to Miller
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PFT Founder Mike Florio's Character Assassination of Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin is Out of Line Empty
PostSubject: Re: PFT Founder Mike Florio's Character Assassination of Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin is Out of Line   PFT Founder Mike Florio's Character Assassination of Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin is Out of Line EmptyWed May 30, 2012 8:08 pm

I like Coolong, and I'm not too crazy about Florio, but I have to disagree with Neal's assessment here. When I read Florio's original article, I didn't see it as a character assassination of Tomlin. PFT Founder Mike Florio's Character Assassination of Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin is Out of Line 2087824411

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/

PFT Founder Mike Florio's Character Assassination of Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin is Out of Line
Page 1 of 1