Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeBreaking News!  No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Breaking News! No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers

Go down 
+6
Buddha Bus
SteelersYak
steelersfan87
Wallace108
Bays
Gingerchip
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

Breaking News!  No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers Empty
PostSubject: Breaking News! No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers   Breaking News!  No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 6:48 pm

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/27/steelers-ink-antonio-brown-to-long-term-deal/

Steelers ink Antonio Brown to long-term deal

Posted by Mike Florio on July 27, 2012, 6:27 PM EDT

The good news is that a Steelers receiver has gotten a new contract. The bad news is that his name isn’t Mike Wallace.

Per a league source, the Steelers have signed receiver Antonio Brown to a five-year, $42.5 million extension.

Brown, a sixth-round draft pick in 2010, was the team’s MVP in 2011.

Signed under the old CBA, Brown was eligible for a new contract after two seasons. Players drafted in 2011 and beyond must play three years before doing new deals.

The contract helps the Steelers avoid in 2013 another Mike Wallace-style standoff. Since both players signed three-year contracts, each player was eligible for restricted free agency.

Brown gets a signing bonus of $8.5 million plus a base salary of $540,000 in 2012. In 2013, he receives a $2.5 million roster bonus and a $2 million base salary.

In 2014, the salary increases to $6 million. It stays at $6 million in 2015 before increasing to $8.25 million in 2016. Finally, he receives $8.71 million in 2017.

It remains to be seen whether this will make the Steelers more likely or less likely to do a deal with Wallace, who is scheduled to earn $2.7 million in 2012. It’s possible that the Steelers, exasperated by the negotiations with Wallace, offered to Brown the deal that had been on the table for Wallace

I saw this on Woodley's FB page and thought it was a joke......doesn't seem to be! Crap -- what does this mean for Wallace?

Breaking News!  No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers We_bel10
Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Breaking News! No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers   Breaking News!  No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 7:26 pm

Holy shit.

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Breaking News! No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers   Breaking News!  No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 7:34 pm

I don't know what to think about this. On the one hand, they've now got Brown locked up, and this was No. 1 on next year's to-do list. On the other hand, this appears to be a reactionary move to what's happening with Wallace. This deal seems very much like an "F U" to Wallace, and I'm not sure that's the best way to do things. They already had Wallace by the balls. Will they still be able to work out a deal with him even if he shows up and signs the tender? I'm not even going to try to figure this thing out.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Breaking News! No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers   Breaking News!  No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 7:36 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
I don't know what to think about this. On the one hand, they've now got Brown locked up, and this was No. 1 on next year's to-do list. On the other hand, this appears to be a reactionary move to what's happening with Wallace. This deal seems very much like an "F U" to Wallace, and I'm not sure that's the best way to do things. They already had Wallace by the balls. Will they still be able to work out a deal with him even if he shows up and signs the tender? I'm not even going to try to figure this thing out.

Rooney is GREAT at making points. Obviously more is going on here. Not just what we've been told. I wouldn't be surprised if Wallace promised to be at Camp day one, and went against it. This happened with Torry Holt once, if i'm not mistaken.

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Breaking News! No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers   Breaking News!  No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 7:38 pm

Wally, I thought the same thing.

Don't get me wrong, I am overjoyed that AB is going to remain a Steeler, possibly for life. But if this is the same deal that they offered Wallace as the journalists seems to think may be the case -- then how COULD Wallace turn this down? It's a great contract as far as I am concerned. Was Wallace asking for the moon?

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Breaking News! No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers   Breaking News!  No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 7:39 pm

bayz101 wrote:
Rooney is GREAT at making points. Obviously more is going on here. Not just what we've been told. I wouldn't be surprised if Wallace promised to be at Camp day one, and went against it. This happened with Torry Holt once, if i'm not mistaken.
Obviously, we don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but I agree that something happened that pissed the Steelers off. It does seem that they fully expected him to be there. And what's even stranger is that it seems no one is in contact with him.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Breaking News! No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers   Breaking News!  No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 7:40 pm

Quote :
Rooney is GREAT at making points

No kidding --- Don't f**K with the Rooneys. However, the Rooney's have always been known to be fair. It makes me wonder, and I asked in last post --- what was Wallace asking for - the moon?

Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Breaking News! No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers   Breaking News!  No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 7:41 pm

Gingerchip wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I am overjoyed that AB is going to remain a Steeler, possibly for life. But if this is the same deal that they offered Wallace as the journalists seems to think may be the case -- then how COULD Wallace turn this down? It's a great contract as far as I am concerned. Was Wallace asking for the moon?

It is a great contract, but if Wallace really did want Fitz money, it's a little short.

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Breaking News! No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers   Breaking News!  No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 7:41 pm

Gingerchip wrote:

I have no clue. All I can say is that no one knows what Wallace was asking for or what the Steelers were offering. All anyone can do is speculate.

I'm still in shock. This should be great news, but I'm not jumping up and down with joy.

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Breaking News! No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers   Breaking News!  No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 7:42 pm

bayz101 wrote:
It is a great contract, but if Wallace really did want Fitz money, it's a little short.
Bagz, you're going to have to let go of the "Fitz money" thing. You know where that came from. Breaking News!  No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers 3939274466

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Breaking News! No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers   Breaking News!  No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 7:43 pm

Quote :
Steelers Depot ‏@Steelersdepot

For those asking about Wallace, still cap room for him. Steelers sent Wallace a message today. You didnt want money so we gave it to AB.

Back to top Go down
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Breaking News! No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers   Breaking News!  No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 7:48 pm

I know! I have mixed feelings.

I'm Confused!!!!

I can't deny that a part of me is thinking....."Greedy Mike, this is what you get"....another part thinking "Oh crap....we can't really lose Wallace".......another part "Is this a statement from a very pissed off organization?" ......another part...."Rooney's are handling business and are avoiding any future problems" yet another part......"Yesssss....we definitely have AB now"!

Shit.......I'M CONFUSED!!!!

Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Breaking News! No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers   Breaking News!  No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 7:51 pm

Worst case scenario: We get Wallace for one more year. Regardless of how badly he wants a big contract, if he doesn't get it, he WILL sign his tender. He won't sit out a year without pay. I don't think that'll happen though. Wallace should get a contract, and we'll be dropping people from the roster, i'm sure.

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Breaking News! No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers   Breaking News!  No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 7:52 pm

Read Kaboly's take on the situation :

http://www.steelersxtreme.com/t2882-wallace-was-offered-more-than-brown

Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Breaking News! No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers   Breaking News!  No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 7:53 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
bayz101 wrote:
Bagz, you're going to have to let go of the "Fitz money" thing. You know where that came from. Breaking News!  No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers 3939274466

I'm not sure what to believe, and based on what he's said, I wouldn't be the LEAST surprised if he DID in fact want Fitz money. All I know is: If we manage to lock up Wallace long-term this year, our front office is god's greatest creation.

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Breaking News! No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers   Breaking News!  No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 7:56 pm

bayz101 wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:
bayz101 wrote:

I'm not sure what to believe, and based on what he's said, I wouldn't be the LEAST surprised if he DID in fact want Fitz money. All I know is: If we manage to lock up Wallace long-term this year, our front office is god's greatest creation.
Until about an hour ago, I was certain that a deal would still get done. Now it seems highly unlikely. But who knows ... this drama has taken more twists and turns than a soap opera.

Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Breaking News! No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers   Breaking News!  No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 8:03 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
bayz101 wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:
bayz101 wrote:

Until about an hour ago, I was certain that a deal would still get done. Now it seems highly unlikely. But who knows ... this drama has taken more twists and turns than a soap opera.

And strangely, I like it. It's highly entertaining, and I for one, am ECSTATIC we locked Brown up long-term. Maybe not at Wallace's expense, but i'm happy nonetheless. Hopefully this was just the Rooney's way of scaring Wallace into singing his tender and furthering negotiations.

PostSubject: Re: Breaking News! No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers   Breaking News!  No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 8:14 pm

Just for clarification--EVERYBODY wants Larry Fitzgerald money. Breaking News!  No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers 1378315869
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Breaking News! No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers   Breaking News!  No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 8:17 pm

Dodens Grav wrote:
Just for clarification--EVERYBODY wants Larry Fitzgerald money. Breaking News!  No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers 1378315869
Apparently Antonio Brown doesn't. Breaking News!  No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers 755331329

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Breaking News! No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers   Breaking News!  No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 8:25 pm

Uh .....

Quote :
Mike Wallace ‏@Wallace17_daKid

S/o to my bro @AntonioBrown84 very well deserved!!!

Breaking News!  No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers 1505004552

This is one of the few times I don't have a smartass comment. I've got nothing.

Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Breaking News! No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers   Breaking News!  No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 8:36 pm

Antonio Brown is slowly becoming one of my favorite players on the Steelers. This guy just goes out and plays football and doesn't get caught up in all that off the field crap.

Remember that time he spent the day with a random fan?

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Breaking News! No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers   Breaking News!  No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 8:43 pm

Whyant5 wrote:
Antonio Brown is slowly becoming one of my favorite players on the Steelers. This guy just goes out and plays football and doesn't get caught up in all that off the field crap.

Remember that time he spent the day with a random fan?

Remember that time he pinned the ball to his helmet in the playoffs and put us in position to win the game? That's what I think of when I think of Brown.

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Breaking News! No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers   Breaking News!  No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 8:45 pm

Now if he'd just stop doing that stupid point after getting a first down I would like him even more.

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Breaking News! No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers   Breaking News!  No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 9:04 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
bayz101 wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:
bayz101 wrote:

I'm just glad you didn't hurt yourself patting yourself on the back about that "imminent deal". Breaking News!  No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers 3798349058

I'm shocked, but I'm glad the Rooneys are putting it up Wallace's ass. There's no doubt he's going full diva for them to react this way. I'm glad we locked up Brown long-term as that was the guy I wanted more out of the 2 to begin with. Not saying I don't still want Wallace too, but if he's going to be a big headed spoiled brat, let him go. See what you can get for him in a trade.

Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Breaking News! No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers   Breaking News!  No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 9:13 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:
bayz101 wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:
bayz101 wrote:

I'm just glad you didn't hurt yourself patting yourself on the back about that "imminent deal". Breaking News!  No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers 3798349058

I'm shocked, but I'm glad the Rooneys are putting it up Wallace's ass. There's no doubt he's going full diva for them to react this way. I'm glad we locked up Brown long-term as that was the guy I wanted more out of the 2 to begin with. Not saying I don't still want Wallace too, but if he's going to be a big headed spoiled brat, let him go. See what you can get for him in a trade.

I want to agree with this in every way, but I still feel as if we're not getting the full story, you know?

PostSubject: Re: Breaking News! No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers   Breaking News!  No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers Empty

Back to top Go down

Breaking News! No Joke..AB just signed 42 million 5 yr with Steelers
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next