Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeDeCastro, Adams have to earn their jobs Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

DeCastro, Adams have to earn their jobs

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

DeCastro, Adams have to earn their jobs Empty
PostSubject: DeCastro, Adams have to earn their jobs   DeCastro, Adams have to earn their jobs EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 3:38 pm

July, 30, 2012
By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

The expectation is for the Steelers' top two picks in the 2012 draft, guard David DeCastro and tackle Mike Adams, to start this season.

Pittsburgh, however, isn't going to give the starting jobs to rookies. They will have to earn it.

In his weekend visit to Steelers training camp, ESPN's John Clayton points out that DeCastro and Adams are working with the second-team offense. Here is Clayton's take on the situation:
DeCastro should excel on running downs and learn how to be a good pass-blocker. Adams looks natural when he's going one-on-one against a pass-rusher. But a rookie tackle can be counted on to give up eight to 10 sacks. For example, look at the 49ers when they drafted Mike Iupati at guard and Anthony Davis at right tackle. The 49ers gave up 44 sacks that year. Ben Roethlisberger has been sacked an average of 43.5 times a season the past six seasons. Willie Colon should do well at left guard if he stays healthy. Maurkice Pouncey is already one of the best centers in football. The Steelers just have to make sure DeCastro and Adams are ready.

(Read More:) http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/51555/decastro-adams-have-to-earn-their-jobs

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Although I'm extremely excited to see these two guys on the field and improving this o-line, I agree that they should be forced to earn their spots. Make them prove that they were worth the high draft picks and push them to work hard for it. They shouldn't be coming in with a sense of inevitability or entitlement. Some work with the second team should instill some humbleness and work ethic in them early.

By all means, I want the best men for the job even if that means Essex, Foster, Legursky, or someone else are one or more of them. It's about winning (as Charlie Sheen would say) and whoever gives us the best chance this year is who I want starting for us.... even if I have to curtail my eagerness to see the new guys as starters until next season. With at least one of them, I don't think I'll need to.

Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: DeCastro, Adams have to earn their jobs   DeCastro, Adams have to earn their jobs EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 7:37 pm

And they better! We need them up front.

RoethlisbergersLG78

PostSubject: Re: DeCastro, Adams have to earn their jobs   DeCastro, Adams have to earn their jobs EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 12:09 am

bayz101 wrote:
And they better! We need them up front.

I like it, don't let them win by default..let them earn starting spots! DeCastro shouldn't have a problem..Adams might, but would love to see them both starting.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DeCastro, Adams have to earn their jobs   DeCastro, Adams have to earn their jobs Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1