Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeUPDATE: Reed UN-suspended for hit on Sanders Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

UPDATE: Reed UN-suspended for hit on Sanders

Go down 
+4
Buddha Bus
Bays
SteelCityMom
Wallace108
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

UPDATE: Reed UN-suspended for hit on Sanders Empty
PostSubject: UPDATE: Reed UN-suspended for hit on Sanders   UPDATE: Reed UN-suspended for hit on Sanders EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 4:29 pm

Quote :
Safety Ed Reed of the Baltimore Ravens has been suspended without pay for one game for repeated violations of the rule prohibiting hits to the head and neck area of defenseless players.

The suspension was imposed by NFL Vice President of Football Operations Merton Hanks. Reed may not practice this week nor play in the Ravens' game this Sunday against the San Diego Chargers. He may not be at the team practice facility or stadium for any other activities during the suspension. He will be reinstated on Monday, Nov. 26.

Reed was penalized for unnecessary roughness in the third quarter of Sunday night's game against the Pittsburgh Steelers for a hit to the head and neck area of a defenseless receiver, Emmanuel Sanders.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000097768/article/baltimore-ravens-ed-reed-suspended-one-game-for-hits

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
SteelCityMom

SteelCityMom

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE: Reed UN-suspended for hit on Sanders   UPDATE: Reed UN-suspended for hit on Sanders EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 4:33 pm

Wow...didn't see that coming. Had no clue he was a repeat offender.

Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE: Reed UN-suspended for hit on Sanders   UPDATE: Reed UN-suspended for hit on Sanders EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 4:36 pm

The obvious reaction is, "GOOD!! Harrison was suspended, so this is fair."

But I still don't like it. There was nothing dirty about Reed's hit. That's football. It's one thing if they want to call a penalty on that kind of play to try to discourage helmet-to-helmet hits, but I don't think players should be fined, much less suspended, for just trying to make a play. Fines and suspensions should be reserved for when a player deliberately tries to injure another player.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE: Reed UN-suspended for hit on Sanders   UPDATE: Reed UN-suspended for hit on Sanders EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 4:44 pm

Wasn't as bad as some hits, but it was uncalled for. He launched himself at the helmet. I just wish this would have been a two game suspension, for obvious reasons. UPDATE: Reed UN-suspended for hit on Sanders 1797695198

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE: Reed UN-suspended for hit on Sanders   UPDATE: Reed UN-suspended for hit on Sanders EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 4:45 pm

Wallace108 wrote:

But I still don't like it. There was nothing dirty about Reed's hit. That's football. It's one thing if they want to call a penalty on that kind of play to try to discourage helmet-to-helmet hits, but I don't think players should be fined, much less suspended, for just trying to make a play. Fines and suspensions should be reserved for when a player deliberately tries to injure another player.

I can't believe I'm gonna say this, but I agree. If it appears intentional, it should come with stiffer penalties, but if it's incidental, a penalty flag should suffice.

That said, we've all been bitching about how the rules have been enforced unevenly, so the fact that another player who doesn't wear the Black and Gold has felt the same wrath as some of our own isn't causing me to lose any sleep. Maybe if more players on several different teams get hit for this it will cause a backlash with more relevancy and weight than if only one team is bitching about it and some of this nonsense will stop. It reeks of a league money and power grab, not a player safety issue.

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE: Reed UN-suspended for hit on Sanders   UPDATE: Reed UN-suspended for hit on Sanders EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 4:46 pm

bayz101 wrote:
Wasn't as bad as some hits, but it was uncalled for. He launched himself at the helmet. I just wish this would have been a two game suspension, for obvious reasons. UPDATE: Reed UN-suspended for hit on Sanders 1797695198

Hopefully Reed's bell was rung hard enough for him to be stupid enough to appeal it this week and have to miss the following. UPDATE: Reed UN-suspended for hit on Sanders 3798349058 UPDATE: Reed UN-suspended for hit on Sanders 1414754481

Back to top Go down
JonM229

JonM229

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE: Reed UN-suspended for hit on Sanders   UPDATE: Reed UN-suspended for hit on Sanders EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 11:29 am

He wouldn't have been suspended if he could still actually tackle people instead of bouncing off of them.

"Ray Rice is special.  He is a guy for all situations, as I have said before, even in an elevator." -Mike Tomlin
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/jonmilles
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE: Reed UN-suspended for hit on Sanders   UPDATE: Reed UN-suspended for hit on Sanders EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 12:28 pm

"Mike, you saw that Ed Reed was fined for a helmet-to-helmet hit. Do you use this a lesson for the guys?".

Mike: "No".

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE: Reed UN-suspended for hit on Sanders   UPDATE: Reed UN-suspended for hit on Sanders EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 4:38 pm

Ed Reed's one-game suspension overturned by NFL
By Marc Sessler

After hearing Ed Reed's side of the story, the NFL has decided to reduce his one-game suspension to a $50,000 fine.

Ted Cottrell, the league's hearing officer in the appeal, held a telephone session with the Baltimore Ravens safety and the NFL Players Association on Tuesday morning. Cottrell issued his decision just hours later, in a statement released by the league.

"I have determined that your actions were egregious and warrant significant discipline," Cottrell, a long-time NFL defensive coach, wrote. "However, I do not believe that your actions were so egregious as to subject you to a one-game suspension without pay. Player safety is the league's primary concern in the formation of playing rules and all players are expected to adhere to those rules or face disciplinary action. I hope in the future you will focus on ensuring that your play conforms to the rules."

Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome issued a statement praising the process -- and his team.

(Reed More:) http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000098421/article/ed-reeds-onegame-suspension-overturned-by-nfl

UPDATE: Reed UN-suspended for hit on Sanders 2829330259 UPDATE: Reed UN-suspended for hit on Sanders 2097682944 :angrychimp:

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE: Reed UN-suspended for hit on Sanders   UPDATE: Reed UN-suspended for hit on Sanders EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 4:49 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
Wait, what? No

As I've said, I don't agree with players being suspended for these kind of hits. But as you said ... if they are going to do it, they have to it fairly.

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE: Reed UN-suspended for hit on Sanders   UPDATE: Reed UN-suspended for hit on Sanders EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 5:03 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:
Wait, what? No

As I've said, I don't agree with players being suspended for these kind of hits. But as you said ... if they are going to do it, they have to it fairly.

It took them 2 full days to realize it wasn't James Harrison and that they had fucked up. UPDATE: Reed UN-suspended for hit on Sanders 2087824411

Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE: Reed UN-suspended for hit on Sanders   UPDATE: Reed UN-suspended for hit on Sanders EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 8:49 pm

Saw this coming. You have to be in black and gold to be treated like you're in black and white.

4xSBChamps
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE: Reed UN-suspended for hit on Sanders   UPDATE: Reed UN-suspended for hit on Sanders EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 5:04 am

Buddha Bus wrote:

It took them 2 full days to realize it wasn't James Harrison and that they had fucked up. UPDATE: Reed UN-suspended for hit on Sanders 2087824411
"... PERSONAL-FOUL, Buddha Bus...

... unnecessary telling-of-the-truth...

UPDATE: Reed UN-suspended for hit on Sanders NFLOfficial

... Pittsburgh will lose the entire draft class of 2013...

... Ray Lewis gets a gift certificate to 'Shanks-R-Us'...

... ball will be spotted on the one yard-line...

... FIRST-&-GOAL, Cheatriots*!!!"
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE: Reed UN-suspended for hit on Sanders   UPDATE: Reed UN-suspended for hit on Sanders EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 5:10 am

4xSBChamps wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:

"... PERSONAL-FOUL, Buddha Bus...

... unnecessary telling-of-the-truth...

UPDATE: Reed UN-suspended for hit on Sanders NFLOfficial

... Pittsburgh will lose the entire draft class of 2013...

... Ray Lewis gets a gift certificate to 'Shanks-R-Us'...

... ball will be spotted on the one yard-line...

... FIRST-&-GOAL, Cheatriots*!!!"

That's OK, we'll unleash Hell in 2014! UPDATE: Reed UN-suspended for hit on Sanders 348340646

REPPED +1! UPDATE: Reed UN-suspended for hit on Sanders 1797695198

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE: Reed UN-suspended for hit on Sanders   UPDATE: Reed UN-suspended for hit on Sanders EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 5:22 pm

Wallace108 wrote:

He launched, period. They should apologize to Harrison and Clark but you won't see that happen. If they were at least fair and impartial I could see a point to what they say they're trying to do but it's such bullshit when some get no punishment while others like Clark and Harrison get the max when it's apparent they have changed the way they play.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE: Reed UN-suspended for hit on Sanders   UPDATE: Reed UN-suspended for hit on Sanders Empty

Back to top Go down

UPDATE: Reed UN-suspended for hit on Sanders
Page 1 of 1