Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeMotivated Burress: ‘What do I need to do?’ Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Motivated Burress: ‘What do I need to do?’

Go down 
+6
Galax Steeler
Gingerchip
Wallace108
stlrtruck
Bays
Buddha Bus
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

Motivated Burress: ‘What do I need to do?’ Empty
PostSubject: Motivated Burress: ‘What do I need to do?’   Motivated Burress: ‘What do I need to do?’ EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 4:11 pm

By Alan Robinson
Published: Wednesday, November 21, 2012, 1:42 p.m.

The first phone call Plaxico Burress made after returning to the Pittsburgh Steelers was calling his good friend, Ben Roethlisberger. The second thing he did was to pick up Todd Haley’s playbook — something he needs to learn in a hurry.

The Steelers (6-4) play the Browns (2-8) on Sunday, and they need Burress to help an injury-thinned receiving corps right now with Antonio Brown and Jerricho Cotchery hurt. There’s no time to wait, and he knows it.

“I’ve seen some fast, talented guys through the years, but they couldn’t grasp the mental part of the game that would allow their physical ability to show,” Burress said Wednesday. “If you don’t know what you’re doing out there, you can’t play. It doesn’t matter how good you are. So I picked up the playbook and start asking `Where do I need to be, what do I need to do?’”

Being the Plaxico Burress who caught eight touchdown passes for the Jets last season would be good enough.

Charlie Batch, who was with the Steelers for the final three seasons of the 35-year-old Burress’ first run with the team from 2000-04, is going to enjoy having Burress as a target again.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2995376-85/burress-steelers-jets-matter-pittsburgh-roethlisberger-season-batch-couldn-doing#ixzz2CtSuWa51
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Well, at least he's saying all the right things and seems to have the proper attitude right now. We'll see if that's the case if things get rocky. I just want him to show up, be ready, make some plays, and keep his yap shut. Let your play do the talking and I may soften my stance on you. I don't want any whiny distractions. Wallace is bad enough with his sulking half-ass routine. And somebody keep Plax away from Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders please!

Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Motivated Burress: ‘What do I need to do?’   Motivated Burress: ‘What do I need to do?’ EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 4:40 pm

There's nothing wrong with Plaxico's attitude, Buddha. He's a 35 year old married man who realizes he's made mistakes. He's a guy who would have been it Pittsburgh a year ago if not for his wife's career in New York persuading him to sign with the Jets. Plax is a tall, physical wide receiver, and quite honestly, I believe our receiving corps can learn a thing or two from his style of play and be better players because of it. We all know Wallace has had a fair share of questions raised over his physicality and willingness to take a big hit on tough catches, and I believe this is where Plax could really come in handy more than anything.

I know you're a little bummed that the Steelers have signed someone who's had trouble, and you're probably a little sour of his drop in the '04 playoffs, and maybe his attitude then. You just have to keep in mind...he's 35 years old. He's stayed out of trouble since getting out of jail, and the reason he was IN jail isn't nearly as bad as some players who play the game TODAY. Granted it wasn't a good situation, but he didn't hurt anyone other than himself. It was a dumb mistake, but it's a mistake i'm sure he's accepted and acted on as a mature, 35 year old adult. The last thing i'd worry about is how he'll rub off on our young receivers. I believe if he does, it'l be for the better.

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Motivated Burress: ‘What do I need to do?’   Motivated Burress: ‘What do I need to do?’ EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 4:50 pm

bayz101 wrote:
There's nothing wrong with Plaxico's attitude, Buddha. He's a 35 year old married man who realizes he's made mistakes. He's a guy who would have been it Pittsburgh a year ago if not for his wife's career in New York persuading him to sign with the Jets. Plax is a tall, physical wide receiver, and quite honestly, I believe our receiving corps can learn a thing or two from his style of play and be better players because of it. We all know Wallace has had a fair share of questions raised over his physicality and willingness to take a big hit on tough catches, and I believe this is where Plax could really come in handy more than anything.

I know you're a little bummed that the Steelers have signed someone who's had trouble, and you're probably a little sour of his drop in the '04 playoffs, and maybe his attitude then. You just have to keep in mind...he's 35 years old. He's stayed out of trouble since getting out of jail, and the reason he was IN jail isn't nearly as bad as some players who play the game TODAY. Granted it wasn't a good situation, but he didn't hurt anyone other than himself. It was a dumb mistake, but it's a mistake i'm sure he's accepted and acted on as a mature, 35 year old adult. The last thing i'd worry about is how he'll rub off on our young receivers. I believe if he does, it'l be for the better.

He also dissed the Steelers when he signed with the Jets and didn't even keep a scheduled meeting with us. I also believe he was involved in some of the locker room bellyaching in NY too. He's a knucklehead with attitude problems. He's gotten a little better at keeping it in check, but he still lets it out in negative ways when he is agitated or feels slighted. Not buying the he's a better person bit. He tries to tone it down for his wallet, nothing more. If he was as bad as he was before, he knows he'd never get another shot again in the NFL (no pun intended).

If he's such a great receiver (he was at least somewhat productive in NY) and he's completely past his attitude and off-field problems then why isn't he already playing somewhere? A team as bad as the Jets with no receivers certainly could have used his talents if he was the redeemed person you seem to think he is.

Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Motivated Burress: ‘What do I need to do?’   Motivated Burress: ‘What do I need to do?’ EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 4:59 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
bayz101 wrote:

He also dissed the Steelers when he signed with the Jets and didn't even keep a scheduled meeting with us. I also believe he was involved in some of the locker room bellyaching in NY too. He's a knucklehead with attitude problems. He's gotten a little better at keeping it in check, but he still lets it out in negative ways when he is agitated or feels slighted. Not buying the he's a better person bit. He tries to tone it down for his wallet, nothing more. If he was as bad as he was before, he knows he'd never get another shot again in the NFL (no pun intended).

If he's such a great receiver (he was at least somewhat productive in NY) and he's completely past his attitude and off-field problems then why isn't he already playing somewhere? A team as bad as the Jets with no receivers certainly could have used his talents if he was the redeemed person you
seem to think he is.

Because he's 35 years old. Remember, he wasn't "somewhat" productive as a Jet. He scored 8 touchdowns and caught for over 600 yards in limited, red-zone priority playing time with an offense ranked dead least coming into THIS year. This guys stats last year is better than a LOT of young starting receivers stats THIS year, and he didn't receive a call mainly because of his age and his jail time a few years back. I think he's mellowed things out a lot more now that he's gotten a little older, and I won't even begin to look into his "disses" simply because a lot of it is either fabricated or completely false altogether. We all know how the media works, especially with a player Steelers fans STILL hate because of his drop in '04. He went to New York rather than Pittsburgh simply because of his wife's career in New Jersey. He said himself that was the ONLY reason he wasn't wearing number 80 in the Black & Gold a year ago.

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Motivated Burress: ‘What do I need to do?’   Motivated Burress: ‘What do I need to do?’ EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 6:13 pm

bayz101 wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:
bayz101 wrote:

If he's such a great receiver (he was at least somewhat productive in NY) and he's completely past his attitude and off-field problems then why isn't he already playing somewhere? A team as bad as the Jets with no receivers certainly could have used his talents if he was the redeemed person you
seem to think he is.

Because he's 35 years old. Remember, he wasn't "somewhat" productive as a Jet. He scored 8 touchdowns and caught for over 600 yards in limited, red-zone priority playing time with an offense ranked dead least coming into THIS year. This guys stats last year is better than a LOT of young starting receivers stats THIS year, and he didn't receive a call mainly because of his age and his jail time a few years back. I think he's mellowed things out a lot more now that he's gotten a little older, and I won't even begin to look into his "disses" simply because a lot of it is either fabricated or completely false altogether. We all know how the media works, especially with a player Steelers fans STILL hate because of his drop in '04. He went to New York rather than Pittsburgh simply because of his wife's career in New Jersey. He said himself that was the ONLY reason he wasn't wearing number 80 in the Black & Gold a year ago.

Well, if he was even more productive than I alluded to then that makes my case better. Why isn't he with another team if he was such a productive guy regardless of his age? You'd think some teams like Cleveland, Miami, Minnesota, or his former team the Jets would have a need for a veteran WR with his ability and production. The jail time thing is mostly forgotten except for jokes. If the fans can forgive Mike Vick for killing and torturing dogs, they'll barely bat an eye over a guy who was stupid and accidentally shot himself in a nightclub.

And I know there were some grumblings from Plax in New York. I'm not certain where I read it, but I know his named was mentioned along with Holmes and with Derrick Mason when he was there.

Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Motivated Burress: ‘What do I need to do?’   Motivated Burress: ‘What do I need to do?’ EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 10:10 pm

I think having him on the roster and on the field is going to be a benefit to Batch. And when Ben returns, it will give him another option with strong hands, good feet, and, whether you want to believe it or not, a good knowledge of the game.

I think have Burress will do wonders for the Steelers. It may only be the rest of this year, but it could be a twist of fate for the Steelers run in to the playoffs.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Motivated Burress: ‘What do I need to do?’ 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Motivated Burress: ‘What do I need to do?’   Motivated Burress: ‘What do I need to do?’ EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 11:24 pm

I don't know. Plaxico only hurt himself. Ward got caught Drunk driving, Ben was accused of rape twice. I don't believe Plaxico will hurt our team in any way.

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Motivated Burress: ‘What do I need to do?’   Motivated Burress: ‘What do I need to do?’ EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 12:35 am

Buddha Bus wrote:
Well, if he was even more productive than I alluded to then that makes my case better. Why isn't he with another team if he was such a productive guy regardless of his age? You'd think some teams like Cleveland, Miami, Minnesota, or his former team the Jets would have a need for a veteran WR with his ability and production. The jail time thing is mostly forgotten except for jokes. If the fans can forgive Mike Vick for killing and torturing dogs, they'll barely bat an eye over a guy who was stupid and accidentally shot himself in a nightclub.

And I know there were some grumblings from Plax in New York. I'm not certain where I read it, but I know his named was mentioned along with Holmes and with Derrick Mason when he was there.

That's a good question. I remember hearing lots of stuff last year regarding chaos in the Jets locker room. But I don't recall Plaxico's name ever being mentioned. I did a quick search, but I couldn't find anything tying him to any of the drama. I did find articles like this:

Quote :
Was the disruption in the Jets locker room last season contributed to Plaxico Burress? The answer is no. As a matter of fact, you didn't even hear the name Burress at all, unless it was regarding catching touchdowns and burning defensive backs for long gains.

Rather than hearing Plaxico Burress, the locker-room spats that took place included names such as Santonio Holmes, Mark Sanchez and Bart Scott. It was a locker-room that veteran Jets player Darrelle Revis dubbed as being in disarray at that time period.

http://voices.yahoo.com/plaxico-burress-will-former-jets-receiver-land-11378950.html?cat=14

And even Rex Ryan pointed out Plax's good attitude (while at the same time pointing out how horrible he, himself, is as a head coach):

Quote :
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Plaxico Burress did not have a catch during Sunday’s 32-3 victory over the Jaguars, but he was still smiling.

The attention that the Jaguars’ defense paid to Burress created openings for Jets teammates Dustin Keller (six catches, 101 yards, one touchdown), and Santonio Holmes (three catches, 42 yards, one touchdown). Coach Rex Ryan admitted he tried to get Burress a catch late in the game, but that Burress’ positive attitude never changed.

"I feel bad, because Plax goes out there and he’s got no catches on the stats," Ryan said. "He was taking double coverage a ton. He’s great, never complained, never said anything. He just kept taking two guys with him the whole time. Quite honestly at the end of the game, Mark (Sanchez) got hit. That was my fault. I was trying to get Plax a catch."

Burress’ teammates have been impressed with how he has fit into the locker room since joining the team in August.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-09-19/plaxico-burress-not-stressing-over-zero-catches

There's no evidence of Plax being a locker room cancer. In fact, all the evidence seems to point in the opposite direction ... he's a good teammate. Here's a recent article with some thoughts from his former Jets teammates, which might explain why no team signed him until now:

Quote :
Bart Scott glad Plaxico Burress signed with Steelers

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- It's about time Plaxico Burress found a home, said Bart Scott.

"Last year, with his play, he deserved to get another opportunity," Scott said of his former teammate and friend, who signed a deal Tuesday with the Steelers. Pittsburgh drafted him eighth overall in 2004.

"When he gets in the red zone, he's trouble," cornerback Antonio Cromartie added of his former teammate, who caught eight touchdown passes -- seven of which were within the 20 -- for the Jets last season.

Despite the Jets' glaring receiver needs, Rex Ryan maintained they wanted to get younger and faster. Scott said it's common for teams to question "what's the use of bringing in a guy that's old, that's maybe a one or two-year fix? I felt like it had to be a team that . . . thought that they could win this year. And there really weren't that many out there."

Scott, who called Pittsburgh a "great fit" for his friend, also believes the sizeable crop of talented free agents this offseason hurt Burress' chances. "If it would have been a typical year, I think he would've gotten picked up a lot earlier than that," Scott said. "But there were so many guys."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/bart-scott-glad-plaxico-burress-signed-with-steelers-1.4248313

The obvious bit of evidence that Plax isn't going to be a problem is knowing that the Steelers aren't going to knowingly sign someone who is going to create drama, cause distractions, or do anything to hurt the team's chances of success. Those are the kind of players they get rid of, not bring in. I think all will be fine.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Motivated Burress: ‘What do I need to do?’   Motivated Burress: ‘What do I need to do?’ EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 12:48 am

I have faith in Plax. I think he is going to work extra hard to prove himself. At this point, we could bring in Ted Bundy and if he could help us beat the Ravens, I'd be ok with it (OMG - did I just say that????? Twisted Evil

Curious -- why did we release Plax in the first place? I can't seem to recall.

Motivated Burress: ‘What do I need to do?’ We_bel10
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Motivated Burress: ‘What do I need to do?’   Motivated Burress: ‘What do I need to do?’ EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 12:54 am

Gingerchip wrote:
Curious -- why did we release Plax in the first place? I can't seem to recall.

We didn't release him. He was a free agent and signed with the Giants.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Galax Steeler

Galax Steeler

PostSubject: Re: Motivated Burress: ‘What do I need to do?’   Motivated Burress: ‘What do I need to do?’ EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 7:05 am

I am all for giving him a chance in Pittsburgh, who else could we have signed that had the talent as Burris. In my opinion he will give us the threat we need for the redzone. I just think it was a good sign.

Quest For Seven
Mach1

PostSubject: Re: Motivated Burress: ‘What do I need to do?’   Motivated Burress: ‘What do I need to do?’ EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 11:50 am

Hopefully he can get through airport security for the away games. Motivated Burress: ‘What do I need to do?’ 1664291743

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Motivated Burress: ‘What do I need to do?’   Motivated Burress: ‘What do I need to do?’ EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 12:27 pm

he'll come right in and be more productive on the field then Wallace Motivated Burress: ‘What do I need to do?’ 1797695198

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
exncite
Xtreme Newb
exncite

PostSubject: Re: Motivated Burress: ‘What do I need to do?’   Motivated Burress: ‘What do I need to do?’ EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 2:14 pm

I'm hoping it's called maturity. I think at some point these players realize what a very unique and small window they are privileged to have. I know looking back that there are lots of things I now wish I would have done. I'm just hoping that's where Plaxico is while he still has some time left. At least I'm willing to give him a chance. After all, it's only a 1-yr deal.

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Motivated Burress: ‘What do I need to do?’   Motivated Burress: ‘What do I need to do?’ EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 9:15 pm

Calling it now...come back player of the year

1 NATION

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Motivated Burress: ‘What do I need to do?’   Motivated Burress: ‘What do I need to do?’ EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 9:55 am

Galax Steeler wrote:
I am all for giving him a chance in Pittsburgh, who else could we have signed that had the talent as Burris. In my opinion he will give us the threat we need for the redzone. I just think it was a good sign.

Uhhhhh Motivated Burress: ‘What do I need to do?’ 611739232 T.O.? Motivated Burress: ‘What do I need to do?’ 1549491426
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Motivated Burress: ‘What do I need to do?’   Motivated Burress: ‘What do I need to do?’ EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 10:07 am

solardave wrote:
Galax Steeler wrote:

Uhhhhh Motivated Burress: ‘What do I need to do?’ 611739232 T.O.? Motivated Burress: ‘What do I need to do?’ 1549491426

Uhhhhh.... no. Motivated Burress: ‘What do I need to do?’ 889237850

You found the only guy that would make me fully embrace Burress. Motivated Burress: ‘What do I need to do?’ 1797695198

Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Motivated Burress: ‘What do I need to do?’   Motivated Burress: ‘What do I need to do?’ EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 10:08 am

solardave wrote:
Galax Steeler wrote:

Motivated Burress: ‘What do I need to do?’ 1824088959 Stop with the shenigans or we're sending you to Baltimore via Cleveland and Cincinnati!

1 NATION

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Motivated Burress: ‘What do I need to do?’   Motivated Burress: ‘What do I need to do?’ EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 10:11 am

stlrtruck wrote:
solardave wrote:
Galax Steeler wrote:

Motivated Burress: ‘What do I need to do?’ 1824088959 Stop with the shenigans or we're sending you to Baltimore via Cleveland and Cincinnati!

If there were no shenanigans here, this site would dry up and blow away. Motivated Burress: ‘What do I need to do?’ 3798349058

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Motivated Burress: ‘What do I need to do?’   Motivated Burress: ‘What do I need to do?’ Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1